Sign in to follow this  
TheVoice

New ofp player...

Well after playing the single player demo way back then, I'm finally getting a decent PC that's worthy to play OFP on.

But...I need some help: Seeing as it's a fairly old game, how does it run on newer 3D cards? I'm getting a 9600Pro/XT, and I'm assuming they'll get on OK with each other...right?

Secondly, what downloads can you recommend? I'll mostly be playing Single Player and occasional LANs (no internet play), but I'm guessing the new patch would be best anyway? I'm getting the GOTY version if that's any help.

Are there any small-ish downloads that you can recommend to make things more interesting?

Lastly, is it possible to play this game on a LAN with only one copy of the game? Also, is it easy to set-up LAN games, and what are the paly options like?

I'll probably find out soon enough, but I've only got 1 or 2 days between delivery of the PC and our LAN party, so I want to be ready!

Thanks a lot for any help, I really appreciate it.

A new PC and graphics car is almost mandatory for most OFP missions now that are large, so your new stuff should work fine and help give you better gaming performance.

I suggest you get to know OFP and its features before starting to look for extra downloads and such.

However, you should get the current patches to bring your verison of OFP GOTY Edition up to at least version 1.91

You need to get familiar with OFP before you start trying to explore new things.  Yes there is much fun and new stuff that will blow you away in quality and fun in use that fans of OFP have made for users to use in their OFP missions.

When you get a basic understanding of the functions of OFP, let me or others in this forum know and we'll set you up on what is the best stuff to use now for OFP.

If you have any questions, post them here or Personal message me them.

Later,

Havoc.

No matter what folk say, OFP is a lovely looking game tounge_o.gif

Just look at some of the folk's signature pics (Blackdog wow_o.giftounge_o.gif )

However, OFP is a more CPU-RAM concentrated game so if you're well equipped there then you'll be flying biggrin_o.gif

And if you mean hardware incompatibilities, it's not that old a game y'know wink_o.gif Never the less, try the troubleshooting section if you have any problems.

In terms of patches, we're up to 1.94 beta now (1.91 is the last official one) and it's recommended to use 1.94 as it seems to be the best of late.

No, it's not possible to play the game on a LAN with one copy, unfortunately. Maybe order a few more of the GOTYs aswell, it won't cost much biggrin_o.gif And OFP's multiplayer is excellent fun, you won't be disappointed.

It's easy to set LANs up, yeah, I assume you just need the host's IP and that's it.

If you want missions, try these:

OFPEC's top 10

Have fun and stick around matey.

Gameer

GFX Cards:

Yes, Flashpoint supports almost all newer graphics cards but in versions 1.75-1.91 have bugs with nVidia FX 5600 series cards. Your best bet is to install the 1.94 beta after you install the 1.91 beta (get 1.94 here), just in case. You can still run OFP 1.91 because a new executable is created in your main Flashpoint directory called FLASHPOINTBETA.exe

Downloads:

Addons... get a friend w/ a high speed line to burn you onto a CD FDF MOD, and the NAM PACK 2 - and also Tonal Island + the Update here and here.. A good guide for downloads is at my server's site. If you have time and patience I reccomend you download almost all of the things on that page (except the Nam Pack & Tonal which I just linked you to, so you can get a friend to burn it)... except Winter Nogojev and Nogojev (too big, not enough features added), and the LSD 48 (no use).

Network Play:

Nope, sorry... if you do want to play LAN you have to use two different copies (don't try using the same one, or you will activate FADE). Best pick one up as they are fairly cheap anyway ($20-$30)

Edit 1: Fixed FDF MOD link. Also should add I have a download for that on my site as well (here)

Edit 2: Fixed FDF MOD download link on my site. Damn you Finnish! crazy_o.gif

Take a look at both of these, they will make the game more interesting smile_o.gif

Goldmembers explosion MOD

ECP MOD

All BAS addons are of top quality, check these out (though some of their files are quite large)

Have fun!

RED

Finally found this post. Shadow, you're a fucking moron (yes, I remember it was you who edited it). Instead of removing the "And" from that sentence, and capitalising the "W", you just removed the first line of my post. Why the fuck would I write a post like that, you shitfaced motherfucking cunt? Now then, what I said before it was deleted for no reason whatsoever was something akin to this:

If you update your game to version 1.96, you don't need the CD.

And welcome to the wonderful world of Operation Flashpoint! smile_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

There! Repaired after all these goddamn years! Oh yeah, and "Shadow". That's a real fucking original name, you stupid prick. The game DOES skip the CD check if you update it, so I don't see what the fuck the problem is, retard.

Edited by Skul
Just putting a line back in that Shadow removed for no reason.

Damn...not sure if I can afford to pick up more than 1 copy of the game, since I've got other games to buy too!

Thanks for all the help, I really really appreciate it all. smile_o.gif

Damn...not sure if I can afford to pick up more than 1 copy of the game, since I've got other games to buy too!

We don't want to hear any of that here. biggrin_o.gif Shhhh

Check out that ECP especially since you must get your hands on Dynamic Range sound pack or Kylikki sound pack. (spelling) smile_o.gif

Once you start blasting in a multiplayer match in Zinaba, you won't regret getting multiple copies of GOTY biggrin_o.gif .

Edit - Of course, to play in Zinaba you need Tonal (~100 MBs), but it's worth the wait.

OK great, thanks a lot for all the help, you've been fantastic. smile_o.gif

Looking forward to getting the game sometime this week. Maybe I can convince my friends to get it too, the mulitplayer sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks again.

Just look at some of the folk's signature pics (Blackdog wow_o.gif  tounge_o.gif )

eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr............... i dont think blackdogs current sig is ofp is it?

line_rhs.jpg

Thats a photo I think

Just look at some of the folk's signature pics (Blackdog wow_o.gif  tounge_o.gif )

eeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr............... i dont think blackdogs current sig is ofp is it?

[ig]http://www.tacticalblunder.com/blackdog/signatures/line_rhs.jpg[/img]

Thats a photo I think

I made that signature on the 19th and he posted it on the 11th.

http://www.tacticalblunder.com/blackdog/signatures are all the other ones i have.

Remove image tags please.

Well I got the game yesterday, and I'm loving it! Runs really smoothly, so nice to have a powerful PC!

I started by playing Resistance since it was first in the Campaign list, though I suspect I should have started with regular OFP now - what's the correct or recommended order of going through them?

Either way, I'm very impressed. I especially like how open the game is, and the start of Resistance had me wondering when I'd actually pick up an AK and start fighting - getting on my motorbike and riding to the office didn't give away too many hints!

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm going to be having be having a lot of fun with this game for quite a while - now I just have to persuade my friends to buy a copy so we can try the mulriplayer.  biggrin_o.gif

the CWC(cold war crisis) came out earlier, and OFPR incorporates some of things (like James Gastovski and Guba). but either way is fine.

Quote[/b] ]I especially like how open the game is

this is the thing that makes us OFP addicts. so many possibilities.

Quote[/b] ]I especially like how open the game is

this is the thing that makes us OFP addicts. so many possibilities.

yeah thats the best thing about the game.

Theres always a million possibilities to each mission.

A standard full frontal assault on a town is not necesserily that at all. You could go around the town, put a sniper on a nearby hill and attack from the forest on the other side of the town or whatever.

No two goes on operation flashpoint are ever the same. And if you put loads of time into it commanding squads can give you some amasing possibilities.

I'd prefer a low alititude F-15E strike on the suckers instead with Mk-82 dumb bombs or a F/A-18C cluster bomb to do the job in OFP.  Why do it the regular way when you can do it in style.    tounge_o.gif

Each to their own liking though...

If you want missions, try these:

OFPEC's top 10

Make sure you browse the second a thrid page too. THere are more "9/10" missions on the second page and many of the "7/10" and "8/10" missions are VERY good too. smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif