Sign in to follow this  
kennedy

Rag doll effect

I think using the rag doll effect for the death animations of OFP2 would be a good idea. Let me state at the beginning that I do not know if OFP" engine can work with this effect I am just assumign it can. I think it would be great. Play Postal 2 or max payne 2 and see the death animations, they fall onto what they land on, they never fall through anything and almost every animation is different, they all lie differntly and there would be no more feilds of dead enemys all lying the same way as their is in OFP at the moment. I know the rag doll effect is best used inside buildings to best show off its ability to interact with objects but i think the random death posture would lok just as good outside in the open, each man would react to each bullet that hit them and react to bullets even when they are dead. Making the game even more realistic.

As i have said i am not sure what kinda of engine can use rag doll effect, but if OFP2 can work with it, then i deffinalty think it should be included.

what do people think?

I think this was discussed quite a few times in Game Physics thread. You should realize that ragdoll effects are CPU intensive and if you take scale of OFp into consideration (tens or hundreds of soldiers present on battlefield simultaineously) it would propably lag computer a lot. But if the release date is about 2005, who knows what will be possible.

After playing Max Payne 2 and Silent Storm I´ve realized that dynamic physics are the light, not photorealistic graphics. smile_o.gif

Halo and Half Life 2 have the things your talking about also...

Very good I would say, I love these effects.

For OFP2, this would be awsome, even if it's not as good as the current games, I would still love to see a soldier get smashed by a 60mph truck real fast!!!

(yes I'm sick)

The physics should base on human anatomy. Simple rag doll physics are not very realistic, but sure looks fun sometimes.

Example Max Payne 2, Unreal 2k3 smile_o.gif

I would still love to see a soldier get smashed by a 60mph truck real fast!!!

(yes I'm sick)

oh no you ain't biggrin_o.gif

I think this was discussed quite a few times in Game Physics thread. You should realize that ragdoll effects are CPU intensive and if you take scale of OFp into consideration (tens or hundreds of soldiers present on battlefield simultaineously) it would propably lag computer a lot. But if the release date is about 2005, who knows what will be possible.

Any particular reason why OFP could not "cheat" during high-intensity battles and make the bodies fall in a static fashion? wink_o.gif

If the effects are configured properly, you can get some very convincing falls. Max Payne 2, on the whole, has some of the best deaths in games so far, without the yoga positions you see sometimes in Unreal Tourney 2003, Raven Shield etc.

If the OFP engine can do it and our PCs can handle it, I hope it gets implemented. Ragdoll physics are in Hidden and Dangerous 2, which can have a fair amount of detailed soldiers getting blown around at any one time, and the lag was negligible on my PC, and it's hardly cutting edge...

I agree. The ragdoll effects in H&D2 (and I'm sure in other games) make it that much better. If you want to see some ragdoll effects in action check out this H&D2 video I made. It requires the divx codec.

Ragdoll would save you from having to create tons of different death animantions. The death animations 'create themselves'.

If the modified OFP engine for OFP2 could do ragdoll physics without slowing down the game too much (could be an option perhaps for those with slower machines) it would be a crime not to implement them.

The implementation of ragdoll physics and just physics in general is the path many new games are taking and I think OFP2 should be included. Could really improve the game and would bring an end to seeing the same death animation over and over again, and would stop the 'head through the wall'.

Personally, I love the ragdoll effect, and it looks like its going to be used amazingly by STALKER, how the men roll down the stairs is just amazing and realistic, and if you have seen some videos, the vehicle physics are amazing. If OFP2 only had that type of enviroment sad_o.gif

And STALKER also supports large terrain areas, EXTREMELY DETAILED.

The ragdoll effects in H&D2 (and I'm sure in other games) make it that much better.

IMO H&D2 has a very good ragdoll effect.

*A little off topic*

Other thing I personally really like in H&D2 is the wounds from bullets. Every hit makes a nice little hole in the head or torso. Right there where you get hit.

*Back to the topic*

Those who have played vietcong know the great ragdoll effect it has. The dead soldiers always fall smoothly between the logs and rocks or whatever objects there are.

What is STALKER?

Im glad you guys agree, it will be a test to see if the devealopers of the game to take in suggestions on these forums. I hope they spot this thread! biggrin_o.gif

I think it would be alot more funny too, cuz then you could run somebody over with a car and his body would be under the car.. and hes like bouncing around underneath...

yea that was sick..

Quote[/b] ]The physics should base on human anatomy. Simple rag doll physics are not very realistic, but sure looks fun sometimes.

Have you ever seen the "physics" in Raven Shield? I swear, it seems like every terrorist in that game is also a part-time Yoga instructor.

i say rag-doll effect is more of eye candy than something important to game dynamics. so i won't be so adamant about adding it OFP2.

besides, if it is used, i don't want to see something like this. tounge_o.gif

ouch.jpg

I think it would be alot more funny too, cuz then you could run somebody over with a car and his body would be under the car.. and hes like bouncing around underneath...

yea that was sick..

Yep, driving over people right now is boring.

And I just looove slaughtering my enemies with a tank. It's just missing some cool crushing noises and other effects. Ragdoll is not maybe that important, but it sure adds to the atmosphere.

If I weren't talking about a game someone could think I'm sick.

EDIT: And if Ragdoll is implemented I don't want to see any acrobatics.

Rag doll effects are a must for OFP2. This is starting to get an important standard feature of 3d games. Of course the way it has been implemented in RavenShield for example, has shown some of the weaknesses, but it's a very fresh technique and the implementation in recent games like Max Payne 2 has shown the potential. The way opponents react to bullet hits, explosions and their movement and interaction with the terrain makes Max Payne 2 very believable even though it is based on action movie realism.

Rag doll phyics, combined with the option to dismember opponents like blowing limbs of with a landmine or through a hit with a 20mm autocannon would make OFP and the expected Vietnam theme a very intense experience.

Quote[/b] ]Rag doll phyics, combined with the option to dismember opponents like blowing limbs of with a landmine or through a hit with a 20mm autocannon would make OFP and the expected Vietnam theme a very intense experience.

It would be very impressive, but the amount of processing power that the ragdoll effects would use in a major battle would be massive.

besides, if it is used, i don't want to see something like this. tounge_o.gif

haha there's the yoga instructor biggrin_o.gif that's a little extreme version of ragdoll effect tounge_o.gif

Wouldnt it be possible to make the OFP2 engine "choose" between using the ragdoll effect and a number of premade animations. Maybe based on number of enemies in the area and/or distance. Kinda like the way ofp uses different resolution of textures and models now. Of course it would be hard to do in multiplayer, but if the games are synced, the outcome *should* be exactly the same, since results are based on calculations. Or you could simply say that mp uses the "animated deaths sequences".

Two words, assuming they haven't been uttered on this thread before. "Wasted resources". OFP is -not- raven shield. OFP is not every limited indoor or small scale fps you've played before. Not everybody has the money to buy 3.2ghz hyperthreaded pcs. I have access to one as of recently as a matter of fact, but what fun is that if all my friends have more modest machines that can't run the game thusly not being able to multiplay with?

I believe they interviewed one of the head guys and he gave a very conservative list of features he'd like to include. Of which I was glad to hear, especially since I think although inverse kinematics are cool. I really do like them. I would rather have my cpu, ram and video card being put to use rendering highly detailed 50+km square maps with all the little touches that make it look and feel like you're out there gun in hand waiting for the crackle of gunfire to erupt at any second.

The difference between a guy falling with his arm or leg in a slightly different position every time versus the ability for my computer to allow me to be fighting a perfect recreation of an urban battle with many entities onscreen in a large city or in a huge field of hedgerows in a recreation of a large WWII with airplanes buzzing overhead and bombs blowing up as people scatter about in a chaotic haze of smoke and bullets would be far more appealing to me.

What should be added is better support for mods, being able to add classes and such. Making the difficulty scalable depending on what you wanted to do. From write a simple .cpp to add a new class to make sarin gas or something, Jamming firearms. Or add wind effects, assuming they don't add those. Flexibility has always been a strength for ofp. The mod community exploded faster than I've ever seen for any game. Even Quake2 when that came out. Therein lies ofp's strength and I hope they continue to support it.

So what do I think of IK in OFP2?

*to the tune of "shave and a hair cut"*

No, no, no, no, no, NO, NO!!!!!