Sign in to follow this  
walker

Serious eye candy

Hi all

The movie is scary. I know comparable things have been done in film but this is in computer.

I can still see the artificiality but it is so close to reality; it is like the diference between OFP and Space invaders compared to most 3D now.

Kind Regards Walker

Kaya needs to see an orthodontist about that overbite - or is it overbyte? tounge_o.gif

Seriously, that video was quite impressive. See might do quite well in the Miss Digital WOrld Contest.

mdf399653.jpg

The movie star Sophia Loren (news) may have been the icon

of 20th-century Italian beauty but times have changed and

now she's being challenged for her crown by virtual divas in

the first 'Miss Digital World' competition. A new beauty

contest kicking off in Italy next week will give pixel-perfect

pin-ups the chance to steal sultry Sophia's sex-symbol

status. A 'contestant' is shown.

edit: I think I'll enter my OFP avatar pics. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The winner will be crowned at a flesh-and-blood conference in November 2004 and Cerami hopes the digital queen will go on to greater things with roles in video games, virtual reality films and advertisements.

Is it just me, or does anyone else agree that the world has misunderstood digital reality and the differences between real reality and virtual reality.

How could a possible 10 billion polygon model be efficient for a video game (at the moment). Even if computer games could handle that many, the designers will always use more than the average game could handle.

Also, why would advertisers pay model designers .... ah nevermind.... there is just so much right and so much wrong about this.

and personally, I've seen better looking women in real life. (and I live in Wisconsin!!!)

WOW this is a very impessive show of what's possible with doday's technology. I hope OFP5 looks like this! smile_o.gif

Looks nice  smile_o.gif

Well I guess we have to wait a while. When finally games with that kind of graphic are avaiable, I am in a age where I prefer to do different stuff then hanging on the computer for hours every day(entertaining my kids? teaching them how to play ofp2 tounge_o.gif ). OFP2 is in development now and we have to wait till 2005! So Ofp3 maybe will get colse to this kind of graphic and this will not be before 2013, when we are lucky.

Where am i ?

rock.gif

Besides whats it with you people trying to get women models in OFP? This isnt Barbieland i wanna see some models of nice airplanes with such clarity... biggrin_o.gif

Where am i ?

rock.gif

Besides whats it with you people trying to get women models in OFP? This isnt Barbieland i wanna see some models of nice airplanes with such clarity... biggrin_o.gif

Hi Acecombat

Not about the fact it is the image of a woman; it is about the quality of the image and the fact that we are moving forward in terms of graphical quality within VR.

The whole thing is done in Maya a program that is now free and has been discussed on this forum as a tool in developing files to export to OFP.

Would they be in OFP 2 no way

But OFP 3  rock.gif

Kind Regards Walker

So would OFP2 use the same ol Oxygen and visitor tools? sad_o.gif

But if it werent for that i guess no addon from present OFP would be able to be imported in OFP 2 , this raises serious questions on OFP2's graphical capabilites though .... rock.gif

Do u know where i can buy second-hand CRAY to play OFP 3 (or 5 )? ;)

And really big HD? I have heard that while making NATRIX III they stored 100,000 GB of data... wow_o.gif

Find out what the spec of a Cray was 5 years ago wink_o.gif

That would be more relevant.

Oh by the way I dispute your requirements for running such a graphics engine. Please work out what the actual requirements are then perform the calculation for expected system spec 5 years from now.

I live in a dynamic world where system specs double at least every six months what world do you live in?

Kind Regards walker

http://www.cray.com/company/CrayHistoricalTimeline2003.pdf

At the bottom of the document, not as detailed as the one previously posted.

The main reason why such detailed graphics require such high requirements is to to the constant calculations that go on in a processor. Every Polygon face in a 3D environment has to be recalculated constantly. Try adding 64 groups of 12 men each in OFP and assign them waypoints. The # of polygons will on most computers make it crash.

Guest DKM-jaguar

I find it worrying that OFP2 is not out yet people are talking about future ofp sequels.. even if you may be joking..

I WAS joking about this CRAY  smile_o.gif

I think 10GHz Pentium X would be enough  tounge_o.gif

Hi Grizzlie

According to my calculations the 10GHz Pentium X will be out as a top end model in autumn winter 2004 just 12 months away.

It will be a standard machine 9 months later.

Kind Regards Walker

Try adding 64 groups of 12 men each in OFP and assign them waypoints. The # of polygons will on most computers make it crash.

Hi Blinkdog

I use such numbers of units all the time and play them in Command Engine missions.

The problem you are describing would only occur if all the units were visable at the same time. You made an assumption that all units are visable.

It is why I reccomend people to reduce view distance to play large missions.

Also LODs alter how many polys are visable at different ranges the OFP engine does this quite well.

Kind Regards Walker

Ok you'd better be carefull with the processor doubling calculations. Speed of light is becoming an issue pretty soon. You can't easily approach a terabyte processor frequency as light is not fast enough to propagate through entire chip at the frequency.

So, it's either going to be a new form of computing (nano or whatever else) or we are finally going to work with many multiple processors or analogous processors. (and awake from our current almost totally sequential processing nightmare) tounge_o.gif

EDIT:terahertz... not byte sorry

Hi bn880

I agree the current technology has an upper limit but it is estimated to still be about 8 years away.

The newer technologies such as Nano chips Optical chips etc. are in development.

3D chips and parralell procesers are available now.

3D block processing will speed up things a heck of a lot and we are already seeing it in forms of Ram chip.

As you state we are still stuck in two D archetecture and in the main single CPU all though Sound and Vision are already farmed out to semi external systems. Several operating systems support DUAL or multiple CPUs

In the end we may develop quantum chips then you can say goodbye to lightspeed problems.

Kind Regards Walker

Hi bn880

I agree the current technology has an upper limit but it is estimated to still be about 8 years away.

The newer technologies such as Nano chips Optical chips etc. are in development.

3D chips and parralell procesers are available now.

3D block processing will speed up things a heck of a lot and we are already seeing it in forms of Ram chip.

As you state we are still stuck in two D archetecture and in the main single CPU all though Sound and Vision are already farmed out to semi external systems. Several operating systems support DUAL or multiple CPUs

In the end we may develop quantum chips then you can say goodbye to lightspeed problems.

Kind Regards Walker

ok.

Optical will give you 2x speed nothing more, yeah quantum entanglement might be something, if you are referring to single electron transistors based on quantum theory then it's not as spectacular.

Bn880 wink_o.gif

EDIT: Actually 3D and 2D is not the serious issue here. The main idea is to have seperate clock sections (multiple processors) in each chip.

One day OFP graphcs will be this good

Kaya Virtual girl

yeesh... couldn't they have at least made her look attractive?

LOL i was finding her rather ugly too for such a high poly model smile_o.gif maybe they were going for the idiotically highpoly model next door look wink_o.gif