Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Iaf's new f-16/i's

IDF has 102 F16I (advanced Block 52s) on order!  

Artists impressions.....

abw.sized.jpg

aat.jpg

F16.jpg

Anyone got comparison info on how different they are from F-16D or other F-16 models like Malyasia or others have...these I's have got new air intakes as far as i can see.

I don't think those to overwing thins are new air intakes. It looks more like two additional fuel tanks that go pretty much all the way down the same fuselage. Interesting.......... Researching it now.

edit, that bottom pic of yours acecombat is of existing IAF F-16 C/D's, C being single seat, D being twin.

Yeah BD i guess its a teeny bit too big sad_o.gif ,i'll try and resize it and upload it somewhere to host it since its a direct link atm.

Ozanzac thanks for the reply , i understand what your sying is that there is a new fuel tank , but i still think the air-intake size has been increased a bit ... rock.gif

yep conformal fuel tanks add another 3,050 lbs of fuel which is the equivelant to the center line fuel tank iirc, bit more info here

intake looks the same to me though rock.gif

trackerlrg.jpg

The MiG introduced the first HMS (helmet-mounted sight) and IRST (infra-red search and track) sensor with a laser range finder for passive attacks and missile engagements up to 45deg off-borsight but maintained a conventional flight control system and achieved high maneuverability mainly due advanced aerodynamics. i.e. The tail of the MiG-29 is said to have been positioned to take advantage of the four vortices by the wing and fuselage.

midash-1.jpg

*No offense to the IAF but it looks like something out of a 60's STAR WARS movie...;)

Israel's Elbit systems has developed a wide range of helmet-mounted sights and displays.

Its current range of DASH products are being fielded on Israeli, Indian, Romanian and other countries' fast jets.

DASH was the company's first integrated helmet mounted display and sight system, already operating with over 500 aircraft such as F-15, F-18, F-5 and MiG-21. DASH is measuring the pilot's line of sight (LOS), slaving missiles and sensors to the target, DASH also brings displays to the pilot's eye-level and informs the pilot of target location, while integrating all modes of operation with Hands On Throttle And Stick (HOTAS) controls.

Elbit Systems' fixed wing Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) technology provides the basis for the U.S. Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS) program.

Etsp032.gif

With a fighter aircraft equipped with the HELMET MOUNTED SIGHT, HMS system , the pilot can aim at the enemy with the HMS instead of using a standard sensor with limited ability to move.

At flight tests time-savings with more than several seconds have been proved for locking up the seeker.

The possibility to lock on several aircraft within a short time range has also increased considerably, compared to earlier when the sensor had to be guided.

The pilot can slave the aircraft's radar, the missile seeker and other sensors with the HMS system.

Through using a HMS system a pilot can guide his sensors outside the normal search programme. A faster locking up is achieved through guiding the sensor towards the right area straight away and the normal search programme will then find the target.

A HMS system will have its complete function when it is working together with an short range air-to-air missile which has a high manoeuvring ability. The pilot can then fire his weapons in a position that earlier was impossible, this to avoid being shot down

MiG29R.JPG

German MiGs put American pilots to the test at Nellis

"The best thing about this is we got to fly against an aircraft we would probably see in combat," Paulus said. "

The Fulcrum is a very respectable air-to-air adversary, particularly in the dogfight arena due to its excellent maneuverability.

"It also employs the lethal combination of a helmet mounted sight and latest Russian-designed and built heat seeking missile," Paulus continued. "Often, U.S. Air Force fighters enjoy a long range advantage over the MiG, but we have to use the element of surprise and max perform our aircraft and systems to avoid detection and prevail in a short range, visual dogfight."

The MiG-29 has a few advantages over its more electronically advanced American counterparts, said Lt. Col. Johann Köck, 73rd Fighter Wing Operations Group commander, Laage, Germany. Based on his 10 years of experience flying the Fulcrum, he believes the real difference in a dogfight would come down to who is the better pilot.

"At about 40 miles apart, the American planes have the advantage (because of avionics.) At 10 miles the advantage is turning to the MiG," Köck said. "At five miles out, because of the MiG weapons sight and better maneuverability, the advantage is mine."

The weapons sight is a helmet-mounted system that allows the missile to follow the line of sight of the pilot's helmet.

"Where you look is where it goes," Köck said.

jhmcs_image.jpg

JHMCS - Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System

The JHMCS is in production and is currently operational with U.S. fighter aircraft.

This cueing system provides pilots with “First look, First shot†high off-boresight weapons engagement capabilities.

JHMCS enables the pilot to accurately direct (cue) onboard weapons against enemy aircraft while performing high-G aircraft maneuvers.

The pilot needs only to point his / her head at the target and weapons will be directed to where the pilot is looking.

The system can also be employed to accurately cue the pilot to ground targets.

As a cueing system, JHMCS is a two way interface in that sensors aboard the aircraft can cue the pilot to potential targets or, conversely, the pilot can cue weapons and sensor systems to areas of interest. Critical information and symbology such as targeting cues and aircraft performance parameters are graphically displayed directly on the pilot’s visor.

JHMCS provides low-weight, optimized C.G. and in-flight replaceable modules to enhance operational performance – including the ability to be reconfigured in-flight to meet night vision requirements.

jsf_day.jpgjsf_nite.jpg

AY - NIGHT

For F-35 JSF

Helmet Mounted Display System (HMDS) for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter aircraft. Some of the features that will be provided by this next generation helmet system include:

*Binocular Wide Field-of-View

*Integrated day/night capability with sensor fusion

*Highly accurate head tracking hardware and software

*Digital image source for helmet vision displayed symbology

*Custom helmet shell, liner and suspension system for lightest weight, optimal C.G. and maximum pilot comfort

These new ones for F-35 look even wierder biggrin_o.gif

i wonder how heavy they weight.

and if aliens decide to invade earth they'd say "Hmm these human look similar to us" biggrin_o.gif

oki m drunk.

I don't think there is really enough interest for these two threads individually, so I've merged them, if you wish for a more appropriate title then feel free to PM a mod smile_o.gif

http://www.machtres.com/F16.jpg

^^ isnt that the current F-16I they got now? with the electronics lump? (this one doesnt have the comformal tanks on the sides)

Yes, it is.

Allow me to quote myself. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]edit, that bottom pic of yours acecombat is of existing IAF F-16 C/D's, C being single seat, D being twin.

Nice to see avionics in helmet projection being utilized in a current generation western aircraft. I do hope that a standard HUD system is kept and that these helmets are to compliment the hud. I wouldn't like to have information continually beamed into my field of view. It could be destracting in some situations.

I don't think there is really enough interest for these two threads individually, so I've merged them, if you wish for a more appropriate title then feel free to PM a mod smile_o.gif

Hehe Thanks Placebo , i should have known to post here but i thought they were separate topics anyway its ok here biggrin_o.gif

But doesnt the F-35 HMDS seem a bit too constrictive to you fellows , it makes watching naturally for a pilot sideways a impossibility , i guess the good'ol days of true pilotmanship are now and dying and replaced by Videogame sort a scenarions in which 'he who shoots first' wins the round. crazy_o.gif

i guess the good'ol days of true pilotmanship are now and dying and replaced by Videogame sort a scenarions in which 'he who shoots first' wins the round.  crazy_o.gif

I just hope the manufacturers don't introduce banner ads or pop-up windows. crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I just hope the manufacturers don't introduce banner ads or pop-up windows.

That would lead to some interesting scenarios... tounge_o.gif

As i know so far F-16 C/D Block 50/52 can use 3 types of HMDS: Honeywell "Look and Shoot" and GEC-Marconi Viper I & IV.

And yes, they still have HUD's.

Combined with Python-4 or Sidewinder AIM-9X it is beast hard to bite in furball fight smile_o.gif

*groan* Those helmets look cartoonish and too futuristic. They look really ugly, as many to be used weaponry. mad_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  sad_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

The plane is sexy though. wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif