Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Rf airborne troups released!

The main problem is that the Titanium helmets weight a lot more than kevlar ones.

Thats why most time the guys wich need to storm buildings use them.

In RL you wont see too many on the frontlines with Titanium helmets especially not paratroopers

From my limited knowledge, kevlar armour works quite differently than titanium or any other "metal plate" type protection.

Kevlar is a (polymer?) composite that is woven. This means that a spinning projectile (bullet) will get trapped and tangled in it's weave, effectively stopping it. Metal plate type armour works by "brute force" i.e. The bullet bounces off (like trying to punch though a thick plank of wood with your fist). Kevlar's main benefit is that it is much lighter than metal armour that would provide equivalent protection. I also believe that metal plate type armour is more effective against non-spinning projectiles (i.e. shrapnel) than kevlar is. Kevlar is also not very overly effective against bladed weapons, like knives and bayonets.

Again, this is just my laymans understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong  wink_o.gif

Good point. Yeah I imagine they are quite heavy. I've only seen them used by Spetznaz and Interior Ministry soldiers in SWAT style raids. But you're probably right about normal airborne operations where such heavy helmets would be really bad for marching long distances and for parachuting where they could hurt your neck more then a regular helmet when the chute deployed.

Anyhoo.... I'm very happy with this pack and aside from the Inquistor weapons I don't see too much wrong with it.

Oh... higher dammage resistance levels to simulate the body armor (like the BAS Ranger and Delta soldiers have) I think would be very good.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg

So.

What can I say?

I registered Airborne troops to Laser And ORCS ® trademark.

So.. We have another programs than oxygen & pbo decryptor, so we could do it.

If you do not mind... You better ask me before changing something. And: model includes some kind of "security system": re-packing of pbo may cause a falling polygons.

This bug is fixed in official release, but we cannot guarantee it will not approach after unpbo\makepbo operations.

So. Guys. There WILL be a 1.25 and 1.5 version. 1.5 version will include new AK74M and Nikonov Abakan AN-96 Assault rifle by SayAgain[ORCS].

New infantry models, animations and vehicles will be added...

OK.

Thank to you all again.

So.. Abakan not so good as you think. We don't realise, why it won the government competition... the main differants is two-stocked-based gas-mechanizm construction and 2 bullet mode. This rifle is for advanced users only, it's not easy in usage & repairs... Really, there is no very heavy differents between AKM-74 and Abakan, excluding Abakan's production higher price, and more difficuties for fabrics to manufacture it...

huh... Not very good in Eng...)

@ Oct. 31 2003,08:28)]So.

What can I say?

If you do not mind... You better ask me before changing something. And: model includes some kind of "security system": re-packing of pbo may cause a falling polygons.

This bug is fixed in official release, but we cannot guarantee it will not approach after unpbo\makepbo operations.

So. Guys. There WILL be a 1.25 and 1.5 version. 1.5 version will include new AK74M and Nikonov Abakan AN-96 Assault rifle by SayAgain[ORCS].

OK.

Thank to you all again.

Wohoo! This sounds soo good. Just spent last evening & night toying around in editor with these troops. IMO they look great and add a lot to mission editing. Lovely mountain base raid mission going on smile_o.gif

When combining these troops with VITAPC packs BMD I'm just too much into OFP again, all play and no work wink_o.gif

But both of these Russian helmets are fairly thick and probably do a good job against 5.56mm NATO and 7.62x39mm rounds as well as the 5.45x39mm rounds used by the AK-74.  

Helmets are not designed to stop a bullet, only shrapnel and debris.

But both of these Russian helmets are fairly thick and probably do a good job against 5.56mm NATO and 7.62x39mm rounds as well as the 5.45x39mm rounds used by the AK-74.  

Helmets are not designed to stop a bullet, only shrapnel and debris.

Maybe no, maybe yes. rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]b. The Taiwan Helmet surpassed the manufacturers specifications of threat level IIIA (Annex A and C) i.e., intended to stop a 9mm 124 grain bullet traveling at 1,400 fps.

Not many 9mm rounds on today's battlefields. smile_o.gif

Well, if you are engaged by rear echelon personell w/ SMGs and pistols. Attacked by a SWAT team. (Don't ask why they are out of their metro jurisdiction, let alone on a battlefield) To be executed by a dim officer who neglects to remove your helmet. (Assuming you aren't a Phillipino Marine w/ older M1 style of course)

Would be something (only a matter of time I imagine) if they developed a helmet that had the same capabilities of the Interceptor body armor w/ inserts, that can stop a 7.62x39 round. I'd much rather have a big bruise on my head, or even a fracture, then an extra opening that much of the insides left through.

Wonder if they test the force on your head of actually absorbing that 9mm hit to the helmet. Necks are pretty fragile things, and your head isn't gonna sit still while absorbing that blow!

@ Oct. 31 2003,06:28)]So.

What can I say?

OK.

Thank to you all again.

Thank you, and I don't intend to maked that modified CPP public by any means. I just deleted too because it didn't look right with Lasers other guns to be quite honest.

And I am sorry if I offended you in any way by modifying the CPP, but as said above it is in no means intended for public release. It was just intended to further my gaming experience.

And it's nice to hear that you are making new versions with new guns and vehicles. What vehicles (ground) does the VDV use? I know they use light armor like BMP's and BTR's but do they use heavier stuff like the T55 aswell?

And it's nice to hear that you are making new versions with new guns and vehicles. What vehicles (ground) does the VDV use? I know they use light armor like BMP's and BTR's but do they use heavier stuff like the T55 aswell?

The russian paras have BMDs, Guess they get some T-series MBTs as support elements.

Hmm, this make me want to do some research about their heavier equipment.

The russian paras have BMDs, Guess they get some T-series MBTs as support elements.

Hmm, this make me want to do some research about their heavier equipment.

You may like this link then.

Do anybody what is the editor name for the radio? I need to know for mission editing.

Thanks.

Quote[/b] ]From my limited knowledge, kevlar armour works quite differently than titanium or any other "metal plate" type protection.

Kevlar is a (polymer?) composite that is woven. This means that a spinning projectile (bullet) will get trapped and tangled in it's weave, effectively stopping it. Metal plate type armour works by "brute force" i.e. The bullet bounces off (like trying to punch though a thick plank of wood with your fist). Kevlar's main benefit is that it is much lighter than metal armour that would provide equivalent protection. I also believe that metal plate type armour is more effective against non-spinning projectiles (i.e. shrapnel) than kevlar is. Kevlar is also not very overly effective against bladed weapons, like knives and bayonets.

Again, this is just my laymans understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong

You are partially correct. The whole point of helmets, during the First World War, was to deflect shrapnel and other debris from shell bursts, as an inordinate number of casualties were being absorbed by shrapnel and that slicing soldier's heads open or off. The helmet served to reduce casualites drastically.

The helmet was never thick enough to stop a bullet. In cases where you hear of helmets stopping a round slamming into buddie's head, are either BS, or incredibly lucky, or the Great Pumpkin intervened.

Kevlar does stop bullets, usually low powered ones, but with the Ceramic/Titanium inserts into the vest, it can stop up to 5.56x45mm NATO rounds I believe, and perhaps a 7.62x39mm WarSawPACT one. Not sure directly on the specifications. Whilst Kevlar is very effective at stopping bullets (In most cases, not all, and with abovementioned conditions met) any opposing combatant wielding a bayonetted rifle, or carrying a knife, could easily carve your insides.

Part of the theory behind kevlar is that it dissapaits the bullets kinetic energy, and hence slows the bullet to a point where the remaining energy is only enough to crack a rib, or similar. A knife on the other hand, focuses its energy on only one or two strands of kevlar, and that cannot hold back the knife's point, unless the person stabbing you happens to be an idiot and goes for a location protected by the ceramic/titanium trauma plate.

One of the advantages of Kevlar over Titanium is that Kevlar is infinetly more versatile, much lighter, and actually more useful than titanium. Kevlar vests and helmets will also serve their origional purpose, that of stopping shrapnel.

Have you ever seen pictures of German stormjaegers, WW1 era. Some of them wear incredibly heavy metal plates over their torsos, that could only stop a .303 British, or similar round, at maximum ranges and if they were lucky. And, because of this, they could only carry so much ammunition.

Wearing the standard issue equipment (Kevlar helmet and vest with inserts) along with your webbing and battle stores, and your personal weapon ( s ) weighs around 40-60 pounds, easily. That said, you're also carrying a motherfucker more ammo than you could wearing a similar rig made out of titanium.

For parachutists, its not feasible to carry in two helmets, henceforth their issue helmet would have to be light and fullfill what it needs to, both in the air and on the ground. A titanium one would probably snap your neck on the descent.

I'll stop before this post gets any longer.

AK

As far as weight goes, I have read that titanium is amazingly light, and i own a pair of titanium glasses, and it seems much lighter than other folks' glasses, but again, I'm no expert. Thanks for the replies,

-Crew

Class name for radio: ICP_R109, "battery" is a mag...

OK. Helmet never stops a bullet... in any caliber.

May be glock 17\19 - its low-impulse ammo isn't good in armor -piercing...

1968 helmet can protect you from grenade partice... and some beating))))) from sergeant by ak74-s back side))

Our helmets is experimental... So, if we trust our sceintist & engineers, it could stop 9 and 8 mm ammo... But just handgun calibers, not rifles. For example, VAL 9mm OZ ammo pierces 7mm jf steel and hit a target behind...)) in lethal form...

Thanks for the class name for the radio Denor. Apreciated.

@CERO.

Going by some of the information on the link below, they seem to use the BTR-D, the BMD-2 and the BMD-3.

Is a nice BMD-3 in the APC pack, and the BMD-2 should't vary much from the BMD-3, so I'm not so bother.

Now, the BTR-D, the newest BTR addon I seen is the BTR-80. Is the BTR-D suposed to be a newest model?

Should we need a BTR-D addon, or the current BTR-80 from the apc pack should do?

Thanks.

@CERO.

@Cero,

The best info on the BTR-D (a variant of the BMD2 with no turret and a longer, 6-road wheel hull) that I could find is here. Hope this is of some use.

Thud

For parachutists, its not feasible to carry in two helmets, henceforth their issue helmet would have to be light and fullfill what it needs to, both in the air and on the ground. A titanium one would probably snap your neck on the descent.

Just to add to your statement, paratroopers usually jump into battle without their Body Armor simply because it weighs too much. They practice a technique called "fighting light" which allows them to fight for about 3 days with only the bare minimm of equipment.

Many times their body armor is brought in once a point of resupply is established and the DZ is secured.

@Cero,

The best info on the BTR-D (a variant of the BMD2 with no turret and a longer, 6-road wheel hull) that I could find is here.  Hope this is of some use.

Thud

Thanks for that.

I was looking for it all over the place, but is not in the page you gived me sad_o.gif

But, I finally got it, just the info, wink_o.gif

I got some info here and here

Is actually call BMD M1979 by NATO.

Is not an existing addon for that, so this Airborne troops addon could add something like it on its next updated version.

Maybe a cuple of other vehicles aswell? biggrin_o.gif

@CERO

Great looking addon. But anyone tried it`s SVD? Just like in orginal BIS weapon and many, many newer it has optic sight circa x8 (should be x4). I do not know much about new Russian optic sights, but PSO-1 reticle was different than it appear in this (and many, many others, like I sad) addon.

In all family of those optic sights there is a simple range finder. In this addon there is a big difference between relitcle`s range and in game range. When shooting at 380 meters far target rangefinder indicated about 500 meters... weird.

SVDs` from Laser's Russian Federation Special Forces Pack v1.00 also has something wrong with optics. But there is a much bigger problem with ballistics. I understand why cannot hit target at 400 meters with Vintorez without changing elevation, but those play with accurate SVD and a little less accurate SVU is irritating.