Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Rf airborne troups released!

Its most likely a universal bug overlooked in favour of pumping out the addon before he went too far over the release date.

Quote[/b] ]Someone needs to stop abusing their cocaine stockpile.

Well thank you for reminding me. I can't find the cocaine right now, but my dog just wrote an album that'll BLOW YOUR MIND. I'll start producing it once that giant pink panda stops eating that giant purple spider over there then...

(Guess what else I found...)

AK

Well finally got it biggrin_o.gif , must say very nice looking units and they dont have JAM do they? But they still sound good too i am satisfied.

Except the mission was too lagggy and a bit crap (sorry sad_o.gif ) , well instead of whining i am now making some myself smile_o.gif , so i do complete them unlike billion others ... crazy_o.gif

Hi there biggrin_o.gif  Great work with this units smile_o.gif  About RPG rectile bug: it's caused becoause ORCS used Keg RPG's and one of p3d rectile files refering not to ICPRpg.pbo(don't remember name of it) but to Kegrpg7.PBO you can fix it by your self using old texture swapper prog or just put keg's rpg in the same addons folder tounge_o.gif  About weapon pack with Inquisitors weapon models i think that jpg textures are bad idea so if you want convert them in to .paa files and use same proggy mentioned abowe and  Here's link to Texture Swapping Utility and here ya go. I've do it and it's working ok but now weapons consuming less cpu power smile_o.gif

Again this is great addon keep up great work ORCS team & Laser and i hope that we can see more this quality addons from your hands biggrin_o.gifrock.gif

What can I say? Great units. smile_o.gif Just iron out the reported bugs, and they´re pretty much perfect.

Overall I thought that these units looked great. I DO NOT think they are too bulky. People who are saying that haven't looked at pictures of Russian soldiers in full combat gear. Body armor is VERY bulky as is all the harnesses and belts and stuff they have to carry. Also their jackets tend to be thick as well while their pants also are not skin tight like the standard BIS made OFP soldiers. So I think these soldiers look very realistic...except for one thing... the helmets look kinda wierd. In the pictures I've seen of Russian troops, the newer helmets they wear look slightly similar to the US ARMY PASGT helmets as they have the bulges on the sides near the ear. The helmets on this addon look too pointed or something. From a distance it looks like they are wearing hats. What they are wearing actually looks more like the old East German helmets like this one:

egerm.jpg

Or like this Russian helmet from the 70's:

RUSSIA_DOME_SHELL.JPG

Here on the other hand is a picture of one of the newer Model 6B7 Russian Kevlar helmets:

kevlar.jpg

Personally I'd like to see them wearing those nice Model 6B6 titanium assault helmets like this one:

titanium.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

yup, i really like the units, topnotch addon IMO, the SVD is excellent as well, but still...i prefer the assault weapons from the previous pack, nothing that i cant correct at home ;)

I have spent a little of my day replacing the standard weapons used for this addon with Lasers ones. I am going to start editing the SVD in this pack in a moment (to use the same textures and the same model as Lasers SVD-S)

And that made me like them even more, just going to see about editing that SVD CPP....

EDIT: After trying these units out with Lasers other guns I have come to the conclusion that the ones that came with the pack suit the units better. All that could be improved on the weapons side is non-JPG textures, and a RPK-74 for the automatic rifleman smile_o.gif

As we see here the helmets are not so wrong... but i think it would be much better if they would have put the cammo cover over it

vdv-49.jpg

What are those green boxes good for? They look like a pack of party snacks from a local store. tounge_o.gif

Where can I find information about what training these guys endure, or what other Russian troops go trough in training. Any special "trademarks" for unit training and things similar to that?

I was wondering if somebody have any good links refering to VDV organisation, equipment, and types of missions that they are trained for etc. rock.gif  I want to make mission with this addon and need as much info as it possible to get my project realistic smile_o.gif

Well I guess basically whatever other airborne units are trained for. From what I have read now I hear that VDV units are also trained for being in the field without a camp to go home to for extreme periods of time. Wich would include intense survival training and things like that.

And what missions they are sent out for, well they are designed to be able to flank and surprise enemy units. And also be able to deploy quickly. I read that most their operations are heliborne. They are also trained to be fighting against larger numbers of enemies as are all airborne troops I suppose. So make a mission where you insert in a hotzone and then advance trough wast ammounts of terrain smile_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif thanks for info  biggrin_o.gif Are they able to operating all around the globe?Or maybe there are some limitations in deploying this unit in to the field rock.gif

I doubt that the VDV would be sent much farther than Kosovo, they do not act as say the U.S Rangers do. Because the Russians use their armed forces primarily for defence nowadays. With the exception of the Chechnya conflict wich infact could be considerd as defence.

There is simply no need to send these guys halfway across the globe.

There used to be eight airborne divisions (five now I think) They are all based in the European part of Russia. One in the northern military district, two in the Moscow district and one each on the Volga and north Caucasus districts.

From The Encylopedia of the World's Special Forces:

Quote[/b] ]In terms of size and capability, there is no force in the West that compares to the VDV (Russian Airborne Assault Troops). Their operational role is to provide Russia with a unit that can respond quickly in times of crisis and which is both self-contained and self-deployable. Although impressive in size and numbers by Western standards, the VDV is small by traditional Soviet military standards, each division containing some 6000 lightly armed troops plus their armoured support vehicles. The troops, however, are a strategically valuable force, for they have special training in airborne assault tactics and can deploy anywhere in the world at very short notice from long-range transport aircraft.

The VDV also has a significant parachute assault capability, which dispenses with the need for an airbase - if neccesary, troops can be inserted anywhere within airlift range in a matter of hours. However, they lack the self-sustaining combat and logistical support of regular ground forces and must therefore be ressupplied and reinforced within days of deployment.

That any help to anyone?

Anybody knows the editor name for the LV217 radio that the radio operator use in the addon?

I'm sure they're great, but all I get is a modelSpecial error when I try to put them in a mission. sad_o.gif

There, ugh, is a readme. rock.gif   I don't see one.

edit: OK, the one from OFP info has a readme, but the one from file front doesn't.

edit2: the one from file front just has one pbo in it, LSR_vdv.pbo. rock.gif that's a little odd

edit3(after trying them): Very nice though, as has been mentioned before the white thing in the RPG is a problem.  Also, it kinda seems that the RPGs are a little too accurate, in the sense that they drop very little over large distances.  On the Mi-8, I've noticed that bullets can still hit the area where the rocket pods were, its probably not possible, but it would be nice if they wouldn't hit there.  I personally really like the jpeg textures and inq.'s weapons, though I would like to see the bayonet thing(like strokegun) on the AKs w/ bayonets(it was in inquistitor's pack).  Before I got inquistitors high detail weapons, I probably would have thought that paa/pac textures were good enough, but the beauty and level of detail that can be put into jpegs, just can't be achieved in paa's or pac's.  Please keep the weapon's textures as they are. There's no reason why the community should be held back by people trying to run OFP on their old 386's tounge_o.gif

edit4(going for the record here biggrin_o.gif ): And no, I don't have some 3.2 ghz computer w/ a 256 meg card. I have a pretty modest system(2.66, 512 DDR, Radeon 9000 64 meg).

Thanks for posting that pic of the Russian Airborne guys. I looked all over the internet to try and find up-to-date pics but to no avial. So I guess you're right about the helmets. I had never seen those helmets before so I guess they are something new for the Russian Airborne forces. They look nice and thick so I imagine they are comparable to the latest US Army and British kevlar helmets.

I guess if I want to use the Titanium helmets I can always use laser's earlier Russian SF soldiers (which kick ass!!!).

Also I likewise would love to see Laser's weapons on these soldiers because inquisitor's weapons cause a lot of lag. I guess if you can modify them with non-JPG textures that would be ok.

Anyways, once again great job! I'll be using these soldiers in my remake of my old Russian Airborne mission, "Operation Condor". I'm in the process of updating it to use Vit's APC pack, this Airborne pack, and the Russian SF pack.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Sorry to skew on the topic a little,

What is the advantage of a titanium helmet other than the fact that it is light and malleable (sp?) Does it absorb shock better? I know it's strong, but can it protect from the shock of a projectile?

Also: How does one draw the conclustion that the first infantry would be destroyed by this unit in ww2 conditions? Or am i misunderstanding something?

Great units!!!

-Crew

Hmm... you'd probably have to talk to a ballistics expert, but I believe Titanium is quite a bit more expensive then Kevlar. To really know for sure which is superior, you'd have to have access to classified data more then likely. But both of these Russian helmets are fairly thick and probably do a good job against 5.56mm NATO and 7.62x39mm rounds as well as the 5.45x39mm rounds used by the AK-74.

What I like about the titanium assault helmets is that they have very good coverage of the head. The bad thing is that they probably seriously screw up your sense of hearing because they cover most of the ear. But I guess for assaulting in an urban enviornment, maximum protection is probably more important.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>