Sign in to follow this  
dinger

Coc unified artillery 1.0 released

ive discovered something really handy you know how when you set the terrain detail to very high how all the ground instantly goes very bummpy with some extremely deep bumps well heres my step by step method surviving a heavy artillery bombardment biggrin_o.gif

step 1 listen for the shells coming

step 2 go in to the options menu and drop the view distance down to 500m

step 3 set the terrain complexity to very high

step 4 look about and notice something very handy instant foxholes!!!!

step 5 dive in to the deepest one you can find before the shells land

step 6 lie there until the bombardment is over and put your view settings back to normal

wink_o.gif works really well if youre computer can handle it

Hi aj_addons

I tend to have bumpy ground on all the time and make a great deal of use of it sneeking up on AI but in the end if you hit the dirt without bumpy ground visable you stand a reasonable chance of suviving explosions. The main thing is you cant see if you are in a depression if bumpy ground ain't on.

I loved that bumpy ground improvement it was one of the best improvements BIS made.

When all is said and done if the shell hits close enough your still dead and gone biggrin_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

Keep the suggestions coming.

AJ -- sounds like I need to enable VT fuzing. Then we'll see how well your foxhole protects you smile_o.gif

mads-bahrt -- we're currently having discussions about a stringtable.csv system. Addons can, of course, run their own chatter through the UA MP radio system.

uiox -- thanks. and if it weren't for your work, I wouldn't have made such an abusive intro. ;)

Again, the current control system is very low-level. I'd love to have a nerd mode with the need to punch in observer grid coordinates, locate the target per manual, and transmit a proper call for fire. I'd love to have a TacFire process manage all assets on the map -- receiving and prioritizing calls for fire, automatic CB fire and all that.

But those toys require a dialog system. dialogs require some scripting overhead, so we postponed them. They will come. Heck, you guys don't even need me to write those scripts -- with the documentation it should be crystal clear how to do it.

The splash screen is a little distracting. We wanted it in the bottom-right corner, but we can't CutRsc in addons, and CutObj looks terrible in corners. I also wanted the url smaller ;). You do have the option of turning it off. Just set:

CoCIFNoSplash = true. I like to have it on when testing missions, because it confirms that UA is operating.

I can't answer questions about 3d and 2d models. I'm just a scripter. I will say that the MLRS is due for a reskin, and I need to get the M101 guy to take care of a LOD bug, so you never know. As you can see from other threads, we are working with DKMM on their towed 122mm howitzer and SFP on their twin-120mm AMOS Mortar carrier. There's also our own Cruise Missile program (currently waiting on a paint job). We are also discussing possibilities with other groups (I want NGFS as much as the next guy). But I'm busy until December, so don't expect anything soon.

Binos with a mil readout would be cool. I was thinking they might make sense as a secondary weapon (laser designator), with different proxies and sight. Then we'd simulate one of those cool rangefinding binos.

Okay, here's a question for the redlegs out there: direction in mils goes to 6283 or 6400? And that final value is N (magnetic or absolute isn't relevant for OFP), correct?

yup 6400mils and 0000mils is north.

I just found out that I'm slated as a foo sig on our next ex (this weekend) so I'll be calling in the fire and watching the sh*t fall...were going to be using a new fuze that I'm not to sure about though...its an all-in-one fuze thats programed instead of set....I just hope those suckers dont start popping off over our heads.

@Ex-RoNiN we at AIA and members from WW2EC Pacific division are making a ww2 destroyer to go with the carriers. We hope to use the UA, but it won't have missiles mad_o.gif but will have 5 guns wow_o.gif

Maybe another mod can update it when wwe finish and make it a modern destroyer?

Pic 1

Pic2

@Ex-RoNiN we at AIA and members from WW2EC Pacific division are making a ww2 destroyer to go with the carriers. We hope to use the UA, but it won't have missiles mad_o.gif but will have 5 guns wow_o.gif

Maybe another mod can update it when wwe finish and make it a modern destroyer?

Pic 1

Pic2

That's a huge destroyer wow_o.gif Looks more like a cruiser to me wink_o.gif

Good job though, is it going to be stationary with 5 independent turrest, or just one operable one with 4 simulated ones?

(sorry for the hijack UA)

Quote[/b] ]I'd love to have a nerd mode with the need to punch in observer grid coordinates, locate the target per manual, and transmit a proper call for fire.

Nerd Fest smile_o.gif

I like the section on the Football field method:

image1342.gif

Although the finger anims would come in usefull in some MP games.

if i aint completely wrong 360 degees are 6300 mils (not 6400) and 6300 and 0000 are north smile_o.gif

atleast that´s how it work´s here...

but i guess you strange foreigners might be a bit different ;)

1 degree are 17.5 mils smile_o.gif

In Finland we use 6000. And if I remember right they use 6400 in Sweden. It was quit easy to use 6000 almost every idiot could give directions, its like the clock.

Edit: Ok.. I suppose the_shadow are right in that Sweden has 6300.

i should have guessed... they are different all ower...

so US use 6400, Finland use 6000, sweden use 6300 and i dont even want to think of what those crasy russian may use... (probably 6800 ore something) ofcourse that would make their artillery higly accurat... and as far as i know the go for volume instead of precision smile_o.gif

Since mils (as i understand it) is short for milliradians it should actually be 2*pi*1000 = 6283

But I guess that since it would make a lot of conversions easier I think they changed from the original definition of the unit to just divide the whole circle into 6000, 6300 or 6400 units.

Nice but where's the artillery for East?

blue on blue is your east arty tounge_o.gif

I'm puting all my hope in you guys, and I'm about binoculars as a second weapon, yes.

Not sure if this an ECP Dynamic Range .bin or COC UA .cpp config issue, but it only happens after adding Dynamic range to the ECP install.

When starting a missing that includes CoC UA, I get the error "CoC_ObHum" not found.  On a dedicated server you can continue and play the mission and the Obilesk Hum works fine.  But SP and preview from the editor refuses to load.

Rudedog

Its a known bug, its not entirely UA's fault, ofp's handling of large addons (large addon folders too) is partly to blame, and this error seems to appear when used with some other addons too...

I think Denior and the UA team are working on fixing it, but if its an OFP problem as a whole, it cant be fixed sad_o.gif

Hi all

People realy need to go back and read this thread where this bug has been explained, and various working solutions have been described. As many others have said the search facility on this forum would have yeilded the answer.

Here is a copy of an email I send out

Quote[/b] ]Indemnity

By following the advice in this email you are doing so at your own risk you agree to indemnify, defend, acknowledge and hold that The Chain of Commandâ„¢, its owners, its members, partners and agents cannot and will not be held responsible for any damage to your self, your chattels or any loss of data that you may incur or may yourself cause to third parties arising directly or indirectly from your actions or inactions in your choosing to follow the advice in this email; you have been warned.

There is a known bug in the UA in the way the sound is called in the cpp file.

It got through our beta testing because it requires two addons to have the same error in order for it to occur.

It will be fixed in the next release of UA and we have released the nature of the bug to all other MODs in particular those that we know suffer from it so they can fix the bug in their addons as well.

The gaz24mx.pbo addon is known to have the same bug and thus conflict with UA there may be others I heard recentlly a report that one of the beta versions of the ECP (Enhanced Configuration Project) had the same problem.

Here is Dingers Description of the bug from the official forum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the CoC_ObHum:

It turns out that the problem is caused by having two addons making the same config.cpp mistake.

If you bust open our config.cpp, you'll see that I have a couple of lines in there that read:

Code Sample  

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

sounds[]={CoCIFCallFire, CoCIFMTO, CoCIFReady, CoCIFFireSpot, CoCIFFiredSpot,

CoCIFFireEffect, CoCIFFiredEffect, CoCIFSplash, CoCIFAdjust, CoCIFUnable,

CoCIFMove, CoCIFMobile, CoCIFCeaseLoading, CoCIFRoundsComplete,

CoCIFMissionComplete, CoCIFmlrsmto, CoCIFmlrsunderstood, CoCIFmlrscomplete,

CoCIFmlrslaunch, CoCIFmlrssplash, CoCIFmlrsunderway, CoCIFmlrsready, CoCIFmlrsable};

and

Code Sample  

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sounds[] = {CoC_ObHum};

Extending from description.ext to config.cpp, I was under the impression that these lines "declare" the sounds to follow.  I was wrong.  What they seem do is they produce an exclusive master list of all sounds in that class available to addons.

So if you comment these lines out, the conflicts with addons by others who made the same mistake will disappear.

The next version will correct this error.

My apologies,

Dinger

Dinger@thechainofcommand.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a temporay fix you might consider following this procedure to isolate two confllicting addons.

Now fixing your problem

As a general rule you should optimise the load on your computer by using MOD folders as described in Avon's FAQs on this page

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpf....ers.htm

It is rare indeed that you will need to have WWII addons in the same mission as your BAS addons and if you do; it just needs a special short cut addition. I have shortcuts labelled WWII BAS COC DKM, Vietnam, Objects, Miscellaneous, Winter etc. Each short cut points to a list of MOD folders.

A conflict between CoC UA and another addon

Note MOD folders are great for beta testing and finding conflicts.

For finding conflicting addons you can use this process:

1) Set up MOD folders as described in Avon's FAQs on this page

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpf....ers.htm

2) Only have the official OFP addons in your OFP and OFP/RES folders. For those unofficial addons that just will not work any where else remember they are excluded from this test process so consider temporarily removing them to another folder until the test process is finished. If you can find no other causes.

3) So far All CoC addons will work from a CoC Mod folder I have tested them.

4) To narrow the options to particular folders by have a test folder test0. You then try the addon on its own in the test0 folder.

5) Create an OFP shortcut that just adds the Mod Folder test0

6) Now you add each MOD folder in turn to the shortcut only test one folder with the addon at a time until you find one that conflicts.

7) Now make two other MOD folders test1 and test2

8)Now divide the conflicting folder in to these two folders by copying them to it. make sure your shortcut only points to test0 and either test1 or test2 now you can narrow the field to just one folder;

9)then just reiterate the process until you narrow it down to just one addon. Please beware it is possible for there to be more than one addon conflicting with another  ;- )

10)Let CoC and the other Addon maker know about the conflict.

If you Still having problems after you try the above solution to you problems do not hesitate to get back to us but it perhaps best if you make error reports and bug reports on the Official OFP forum as lots of other people can help and others with same problem will be able to see the solution ;- ) Also try using our own CoC forum where all the team can look at the problem it will increase the number of experts looking at your problem.

Hope that the above is of help.

Kind Regards Walker

If i remember well definition, mill is angle u can see 1 meter long section from distance 1 kilometer (it is why it is mille).

And Russia, Finland and all ex Warsaw Pact armies uses same mille - 360 degrees=6000 milles.

Mil = Milliradian. It's simple trigonometry folks.

circumference = pi * diameter

Segment of Circumference = (2 pi * radius) * (% of circle/100)

so if you know the radius, and you express the percentage of the circle in terms of 2 * pi, ally ou need to do is multiply the two numbers to get the segment size.

So a radian is the angle necessary such that the segment's length is equal to the radius (=distance).

A milliradian is 1/1000th of a radian. Thus technically there are 6283 mils.

But 6283 is rough to work up, so artillery outfits round it.

6400 is a good choice, since it makes 45 degrees 1600 mils, and 22.5 800. 6000 isn't bad either, as a factor of two you get 1500 and 750.

Neither 6000 nor 6400 is "correct"; both are approximations.

U r absolutely good in maths Dinger smile_o.gif

And absoluty wrong about mil.

mil is STRICTLY "artillery" unit, it is beeing used because it is easy for calculation, even in memory under fire smile_o.gif

It is metric counterpart of american Minute of Angle (MOA) - 1 inch on 100 yards distance.

ok...I just got back from ex as a foo sig or fed sig or what ever the hell were calling it...and as for mills, the armoured and infantry both use 6400mils as well...you only use moa when shooting a rifle(I may be wrong as I'm not infantry or american)

time to have a shower...oh god...I have a small case of trench foot...damn that smells bad.

To be honest this mils discussion should probably have it's own thread as it's quite on topic of OFP. Then maybe more info would be gathered on it as well. smile_o.gif

I stand by what I said. Mil is Mil because it is a milliradian. 6400 or 6000 is used because whatever difference in error that's made between range and size is negligeable, and 6283 just isn't practical.

anything on land or sea firing a gun will want to use mils. The reason is simple:

whatever optics you've got can be scored with gradations in mils. Most targets are going to be a known size (for the sake of argument, say that hunk of armor is 5 meters long). If you know the size of the target, and how many mils that target takes in the sight, you can get the range without having to break out a slide rule.

So, like in many other cases, the "military way" is a fascinating combination of mathematical precision, cognitive psychology and battlefield pragmatism. While I find that stuff interesting, the important point is that we get it right.