Sign in to follow this  
Impavido

Im hit! oh my god i've been hit!

Yup a improved injury system would add a lot!

I would like a new health system:

Two parameters one being stamina (affected by the weight you carry, running, explosion blasts, or hits by a bullet or whatever. If stamina lowers you aim badly, you can not sprint and if it is to low you black out but you recover quickly)

The other one being something like a blood meter. (If you are injured you start bleeding at a certain speed depending on the injury. The bleeding can be stopped or slowed down in most cases by bandaging the wounds)

These two parameters should interact. (If you are injured your stamina is reduced and you tend to black out quicker)

Every soldier should be able to patch a small injury with a single use bandage. Bigger injuries need lots of single use bandages or a medic. The medic should bring a medic pack with unlimited supply of bandages.

A medic should also have the ability to make soldiers that where shot in the leg limp away (not sprint) by giving pain killers. And to delay the death of a soldier with unstoppable bleeding by giving transfusions.

There should be three stages of health:

-healthy

-wounded (you still can play)

-critically wounded (you can not play any more but it is still worth to save your live)

-dead

It should be possible to drag a body (one alone over the shoulder moving slow and two or more on a stretcher or rug moving fast)

All bleeding is stopped and the live is saved if a medic tent or building is reached. (still unplayable until end of mission)

Imagine this:

Your team is preparing a ambush. You and your mate walk away from the rest of the team to find a good place to hide with your AT4. Suddenly you find yourself facing the advancing enemy infantery.  Last thing you see is a grenade hitting the ground not far away from you. Then you pass out for a few seconds. When you wake up and reorientate you see your buddy lying a view meters away from you and behind him the enemy infantry still advancing on you. You get up and run at top speed towards friendly positions with bullets whistling left and right. You nearly pass out again You have to stop and catch breath for a moment. You drop the AT4 to get rid of the weight. Only after You reached friendly lines and hid behind a rock You realize that You are bleeding - just a scratch you stop the bleeding with a bandage you brought. Now you tell the others that you have to find your buddy that you left behind. You fight your way towards him and find him in critical conditions but allive. The medic is able to stabilize his situation somewhat but he says he has to get out of there ASAP. Minutes later a heli lands in the hot LZ. You drag your buddy into the heli and evacuate the entire team. You reach the basecamp just in time.

The mission was a failure but at least no losses to moan.

Like it was a multi player game your buddy was out of the game pretty soon. But he was still amazed to see all your effort to save his live. blues.gif

What I also would like to have in the OPF2 campaign is a certain count of available men

(Could be different from Cadet to Veteran)

Means you have to try to save your private's lifes otherwise you will have a lack of men in one of the later missions

When they're injured, they could be out for one mission or anything like that

Yes a limited number of teammembers!

In resistance they had this feature in a verry basic way.

If you lost a teammate most of the times he would not show up in the next mission. The skill level improved a bit too.

But well a lot of room for improvements in this area.

That all makes sense. What if they had a time requirement for your squadmates to heal up after being wounded, sort of like Rainbow Six. So a minor wound will keep a soldier out of action for a day or a week of fictional time between missions. While a more serious wound might take multiple weeks or months. Campaign missions can have dates on them depending on how they are related. Some missions happen hours after the previous, some take weeks or months.

I used to work in a trauma room. I've seen headshot victims who have been hit by .40 pistol bullets that traveresed the brain from front to back come off the medevac still talking, while another guy with a round through the stomach comes in DOA. The human body is a weird thing, incredibly tough in some circumstances and incredibly fragile in others. It's all just dumb, random luck how you take a hit. I do know that a .50 cal machine gun round can cut a man in half. The concussion of the round alone as it passes within two feet of a body will break bones.

I think the easiest way to make this system worthwhile is to implement wounded lifesavers in the score.  Right now level designer can penalize your for friendly deaths.  Allowing the return of wounded friends could save some of those points, not all because we don't want people shooting each other for points  tounge_o.gif This shouldn't be the bulk of the "island" programing. Where you can leave the wounded would be decided by the level designer by the use of area scripts.

I wish for this system just because I feel so sheepish for having johnnies die in die-hard soldier missions.

Also, a squad commander should have the choice to bring which guys to bring in a mission (numbers of the squad would be decided by the level designer, like say the CO wants you to bring only 4 men of your choice).

In ofp, playing the PMC Ranger Campaign, when your guys were injured they would be carried over into the next mission but with shot up legs, requiring you to abandon them to the enemy (And thus robbing me of my heroic efforts before then tounge_o.gif )

I would have liked an option to not bring them at all or even hire the help of some army regulars to take their place.

Oh, and I don't want a tiny selection of men, this is a war sim and sometimes massive death happens whether we could avoid it or not crazy_o.gif

EDIT:: Yes, I'm pointing at Ghost Recon. Rainbow Six was reasonable but even "ghosts" can get injured right?

Yes, but in OPF you can shoot an enemy straight in the chest and he will continue to actively run or fight.

And the number of times you hit an enemy in the chest in that good general area greatly outnumbers the seldom occasions where you "graze" an enemy or have the bullet grazing his shirt.

Why should they have a system that benefits these rare instances of grazing as opposed to what happens more often in most firefights? Which is to shoot the enemy several times to kill them.

The amount of times in OFP I have to hit an enemy twice in the chest to kill them are very, very, very small. You're probably hitting the arms.

If you are standing still and get shot with a M16 at 10-15 meters in the chest, won't the power of the impact push you to the ground? Will you be able to accuratly return fire in 1-2 seconds?

If you are standing still and get shot with a M16 at 10-15 meters in the chest, won't the power of the impact push you to the ground?

No. Too many movies for you.

Quote[/b] ] Will you be able to accuratly return fire in 1-2 seconds?

Maybe. Depends where you are hit, and how much adrenaline you have in you.

If the round didn't kill you and just went through soft flesh, probably.

If you are standing still and get shot with a M16 at 10-15 meters in the chest, won't the power of the impact push you to the ground?

No. Too many movies for you.

Ok, just wanted to know.

If you are standing still and get shot with a M16 at 10-15 meters in the chest, won't the power of the impact push you to the ground? Will you be able to accuratly return fire in 1-2 seconds?

Agree with the barron here, what i WOULD say is if you get hit in the chest, (and your not wearing your armour), you might end up going down anyway, not through the kinetics of the bullet, more through the bodies reaction....especially if your running, ive heard it feels like you get hit with a sledgehammer, really puts you off balance....theres a good chance you stumble over anyway....

most chest wounds are likely to be too serious for you to be on your feet at the end of it though.....

...but then ive never been shot so i wouldnt know  wink_o.gif

Oh and...an indepth wound system may be available before ofp2...not saying any more........

Quote[/b] ]Oh and...an indepth wound system may be available before ofp2...not saying any more........

Now that sounds interesting!

I thought about something:

You could just raise the armour levels of all units and add a critical injured animation from a certain level of damage. When entering this animation a new drag animation should be possible!

Well let´s wait and see what you come up with!

Lets just say we need a combination of animators, scripters, and voice actors prepared to scream thier vocal cords apart....??? rock.gif

We currently have all 3, but we could speed it up by adding another animator *hint*hint* smile_o.gif

Oh and Schoeler, how much DO you know about bullet wounds.....you could really help us.....

Quote[/b] ]Oh and...an indepth wound system may be available before ofp2...not saying any more........

wink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifwink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]argh armor levels are so old-fashioned

I know but the ofp soldiers have it (damage).

I just want to use it to get a new status for the soldiers in addition to the dead status. Soldiers would still go down when hit just like before (btw. I agree that this aspect of OFP was OK ever since), but now they would just not always have sthe status dead but although critical injured. If these soldiers are transported to a safe place there should be no penalty in the debriefing for them.

All that and more is being done....and not with high armour levels or anything simple like that wink_o.gifwink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]All that and more is being done....and not with high armour levels or anything simple like that

I'm still ironing out the bugs wink_o.giftounge_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]I just want to use it to get a new status for the soldiers in addition to the dead status. Soldiers would still go down when hit just like before (btw. I agree that this aspect of OFP was OK ever since), but now they would just not always have sthe status dead but although critical injured. If these soldiers are transported to a safe place there should be no penalty in the debriefing for them.

The problem with that is that you have to protect the bodies from being killed by an explosion. But it's possible biggrin_o.gif ...

Shot in OFP it´s much more ease than the real live. In other hand it´s much more hard to kill.

Hurt soldiers need to call medic by himself.

We need MEDEVAC to hurt soldier.

G-LOC

Lets just say we need a combination of animators, scripters, and voice actors prepared to scream thier vocal cords apart....???  rock.gif

We currently have all 3, but we could speed it up by adding another animator *hint*hint* smile_o.gif

Oh and Schoeler, how much DO you know about bullet wounds.....you could really help us.....

I've just seen alot of people come into the trauma room shot up. Like I said, bullet wounds are really weird. I saw a guy once who had his arm nearly severed by a round of 00 buckshot, who almost wasn't bleeding at all. The round hit under the skin and traversed around the arm, slicing the muscle and tissue away neatly without opening any of the major blood vessels. The trauma surgeon had the guy (who was conscious and in good spirits) flex his muscles for all the med students and everyone else in the room. It was cool, because you could see the fibers bunch up and lengthen as he flexed. They just sewed him up and he was on his way about 4 hours later.

Another time I saw a guy who got shot in the side and I had to hold wet towels over his intestines, they had spilled out of the exit wound which was about the size of a tennis ball. He was conscious too, and thanked me for helping him.

Gunshot victims don't often act like you see in the movies, a lot of the time, they are conscious and talking to you. I've seen people dying who asked us calmly if they were going to make it, alert right up until the moment they passed away.

I presume your talking to us? Anims are currently under way, we have 2 animators working on it, we could use about 20 tounge_o.gif

But yeh, should be good wink_o.gif

An advanced physics system would be nice for bullet wounds. For example it could calculate if a shot to the leg would kill you or not. Contrary to popular belief a leg shot can and does kill due to ricochets which can go straight up into the chest. OFP is better than most games because you can only survive a couple of shots to the leg