Sign in to follow this  
toadlife

Warning about i-tunes and america's army

I installed I-Tunes for Windows to check out what all these Apple freaks have been raving about for so long and boy was I in for a nasty surprise. Not only did the I-Tunes store not have a single song/album I searched for, when I decided to load up Americas Army for a bit of fragging, I was treated with a complete lag-fest every time I would fire my gun or someone else near me would fire theirs.

With it's pansy graphics engine, AAO normally runs at 25-40FPS @ 1600x1200 on my system, but after installing I-Tunes for windows the game would run at 20 FPS at the most, 15FPS when looking at across any open space and about 5-10FPS when gunfire went off near me.

I immediately suspected I-Tunes, so I checked out the services installed. I-Tunes had installed a couple of services (something to do with CD burning), and at least one driver on my system. I disabled the services but the problem continued, so I then completely un-installed I-Tunes and restarted.

The problem still continued, even AFTER I-Tunes was un-installed. I went in and look at my sound blaster control panel (I have a SB Live), and I tunes had changed my Effect settings so that it was adding re-verb to my sounds!!! I disabled all of the effects, and launched AAO, expecting the problem to be gone - only it wasn't.

Now I was really pissed. On a hunch I decided to un-install my SB live drivers, restart, and reinstall them. It worked. Americas Army now runs at it's normal 25-40 FPS now, and it's safe to say I will NEVER install another Apple program on my computer again. This may have affected Operation Flashpoint too, but I didn't bother to try and find out.

All of those Playskool-computer loving Apple nuts can keep their crap software and your selection less Music service. I prefer enjoyable gaming to 99 cent songs, and 15 frames per second.

FYI: my system....

Athlonxp 2800

Asus A7v333 (Via kt333)

SB live value

Adam, having bit into the forbidden Apple, decided it was poisonous and never tried one again! wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

I'm with Leone. I've had Apples and iMacs before, and decided that though Windows is far from perfect, it's better than that fruity crap.

Yep, I never could understand why people liked them. I hate Xp but I hate apples more. tounge_o.gif As for your problem thats to bad to hear about it, nothing as fun as fraggin, but when it locks up it's a pain. Also have you tried useing a system restore under the start menu to revert any regestry changes? wink_o.gif

My first computer was an Apple (G4), and I loved it. Now I have a PC because of my "addiction" to games. But I'm sure, if OFP 2 (and some other games) would run on an Apple I'd buy one again. If I'd have enough cash. In fact games and money (you can buy 2 good PC's for one Apple) are the reasons why I don't use a Mac anymore. But I wish Mac OS X would be available for PC. The operation system is just great.

PSC blues.gif

Apple is the original sin!! ghostface.gif ...

Why anyone would want to use such an obscure 'Gamer unfriendly' rig I don't know! Games are what computers were invented for, are'nt they? are'nt they?!...

They were very good for audio/video work for quite a while...especially when Amiga disappeared sad_o.gif But PC's have well and truely overtaken them in those departments I think. Plus you can upgrade just sooooo much easier.

Here is what Mac are now good for wink_o.gif

Lamerkatz guide to using a Mac

Also have you tried useing a system restore under the start menu to revert any regestry changes? wink_o.gif

No sys restore, I'm running win2k. With XP, I turn system restore off anyway. I'm gonna reinstall Itunes and see if I can figure out exactly what it does to my sound settings to cause the problems. It also caused the 'crackling' sound in AAO that the sound blaster live is famous for in Op Flash. I've never experienced any sound problems with AAO - EAX enabled and everything.

There is probably some obscure setting that it changed that I couldn't find.

Did you try running adaware or spybot search&destroy to see if it installed additional crap?

But I wish Mac OS X would be available for PC. The operation system is just great.

PSC blues.gif

I had to use it for school. I have used unix with KDE every windows version from 3.1 onward. I have never used a more counter intuitive, illogical and slow to work with OS then MAC OS X. Want to eject you zipdrive? Well expect to mess about with it for a few hours till you discover you have to drag your zipdrive desktop icon in to the trash bin. crazy_o.gif It is VERY bad at networking (even windows sorted that out after a while), is no more bug free then windows XP and the software written for it isnt all that fantastic too. Even photoshop for Mac ..... the naming for the tools was done with the idea of marketing it to toddlers? wow_o.gif

Why all this hostility towards Macs/Apple? I love macs and find pcs ok. I have not yet seen any pc with decent design, but all the macs the last 5 years look terrific (please show me a pic of a pc with nice design if you know of one smile_o.gif )

@supah: Mac OS X is not any harder to use than XP, but since most people are used to XP, it can be hard to use another system.

@benu: Why would iTunes install something like that???

@Leone: Damn funny page biggrin_o.gif

frisbee_4.jpg

Im currently using iTunes now, and I'm really satisfied. But of course not everyone will like it.

To sum it up im really tired of people bashing Microsoft/Linux/Macs, it's things like this that cause war. Now go use whatever you like, but dont be an idiot smile_o.gif

flower.jpg

tounge_o.gif

But seriously, there are a lot of well-designed PC cases. But in the end, most companies aren't too interested in spending lots of money on what ends up being the least important part of a PC.

Bloody Oath drewb that PC cover recently was published in PC Magazine Middle and Near east's latest issue. smile_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

But seriously, there are a lot of well-designed PC cases.  But in the end, most companies aren't too interested in spending lots of money on what ends up being the least important part of a PC.

I care about design so i like macs better but I understand your point, the case got no functional value smile_o.gif

Anyway that pc case reminds me of this one

imac_fp.jpg

tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]@supah: Mac OS X is not any harder to use than XP, but since most people are used to XP, it can be hard to use another system
Thats your opinion and one that isn't shared by many smile_o.gif Apart from the OS woes there is the issue of non-user upgradability, files not always being interchangable and that lots of software just isnt made for mac's. The old excuse that their better at Graphics design or video editing is crap. My p4 is just as fast as the mac's we used (and which they still use) at school. Messing aboot in photoshop isnt really going to drain system resources so thats no issue. 3d performance also is rather dumb argument ive heard. Real 3d pro's dont use Mac's OR pc's. They have machines with up to 12 processors and crap. Citing exterior appearance as a pro i find just plain childish rock.gif What do you have a computer for? A nice heavy paperweight ? I want it to work and work well and fast. Who gives a Fart what it looks like anyway? I wasnt going to put it on prominent display when the neighbours come over in the first place? crazy_o.gif

I find I-Macs to be quite useful. When i am in the office and i have the window open they make wonderful paperweights.

But seriously, all you need to know about Macs can be found right here:

So You Wanna Buy a Mac?

Personally, I'd don't see why anyone would want to use a Mac, if you don't want to use Windows, just use Linux, I mean MS-DOS is better than Mac OS's.  Who was it that had the image in their sig that had a little Windows icon, and by it "This is your brain", and then a Mac icon, and by that "This is your brain on drugs"?  Good sig, whoever had it.

edit: roflmao(literally), god that video's hilarious biggrin_o.gif

The funniest thing about that vid is that he made it on a mac.

@Hellfish

Invader Zim Rox!!!!

I give up... anyone else here tried iTunes?

At least someone found Macs useful smile_o.gifVirginiaTech Terascale Cluster Going in at the TOP 5 computers in the world for 5 million USD, They considered Dells but the Macs gave them more value for money

BBC Article

I would have to say EVERYTHING he said in that video has happened in my short and bitter relationship with macs. Not only do they cost about 150% more than a PC, they can't be upgraded or modified!