Sign in to follow this  
waffendennis

Maya is now for free

Well Anim makers ( me 2 biggrin_o.gif ) here is some good news:

You can Download Maya now for free:

here is the Maya site:

Here

Cheers

Awesome !! Now I will be able to export 3Ds Max anims to Maya and then to OFP :0!

Great!

Thank you for the link waffendennis!

Note that is says "non-commercial use". That means you can not download it on company computers, nor can you create a product that you are going to sell with it.

Read the license to stay out of trouble blues.gifsmile_o.gif

This might be me but i cant find a download link on the page?

Scroll down and wait for Option 2 to appear.

America hasn't woken up quite yet wink_o.gif

Scroll down and wait for Option 2 to appear.

America hasn't woken up quite yet  wink_o.gif

Option 2 does not contain a link of any kind for me sad_o.gif When i register and go to their download center it tells me the file is temporarily moved. I think they are Personally Learning me patience or something wink_o.gif

Note that is says "non-commercial use". That means you can not download it on company computers, nor can you create a product that you are going to sell with it.

Read the license to stay out of trouble blues.gif  smile_o.gif

All images produced with it will be watermarked with the personal learning edition title/logo. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem. smile_o.gif

I think that's really good news..

The site says, "Maya Personal Learning Edition for Maya Complete 5" will be available for download, beginning from the 15th of October (today). It's not yet available though, maybe later during the day..

All i can say, is that you're getting a really first class, high-end package for free (only a couple of years ago it costed thousands of dollars, it still does, but not that much). I've been using it for more than 4 years now, and i love it. It's my favorite 3D software.

Anyway, what i wanted to say is, i will release in a few days, a first version of my rtm2Maya translator, and a bit later a new FK/IK character setup for animating soldiers. And after that a little proggie to help people export the named selections from O2, in order to animate them in Maya. It's no big deal, but it might help those who want to animate in Maya for OFP (if there are such specimens smile_o.gif ) .

I think "no-cost" would be better definition than free since you cant use this software in every way you want.

maya is, in my opinion of cource, the best 3d moddeling and animation package available. Some would disagree and say  houdini or xsi  is the best.

maya is very userfriendly.

btw my company is still looking for a maya moddeler/animator, If you can produce photoreal work and willing to work in amsterdam pm me. It would be nice to have more ofp adicts in my company

smile_o.gif  smile_o.gif  smile_o.gif

wow_o.gif Maya wow_o.gif

always wanted to try that out, thanks for the heads up 'naamgenoot' tounge_o.gif

Very nice of them as a full commercial license of Maya Unlimited with all additional shaders and Mental Ray costs about 50,000 euro smile_o.gif

Maya is great for modelling. For animations, you should use Softimage, if you can get it (They have a student version fairly cheap).

For those that don't know - this is the real thing - a professional tool that they use among other things for computer animations in movies. This is no pathetic 3d studio max. So download it and check it out. smile_o.gif

Allright then. "No-cost" it is (kind'a sounds like free, isn't it?).

waffendennis: that's the "makeshift" thingy. You can only use that to animate "lchodidlo, pchodidlo,etc..". The new one (although not too different, and sadly not much better) allows you to call your "named components" anyway you like, and have any number of them.

>This is no pathetic 3d studio max.

biggrin_o.gif That's a bit mean. But then again, there was a trend amongst PC magazines to publish articles comparing 3DSM and Maya, in an effort to decide which was better. Come on..!

As for animating with Maya, well, i worked as animator and animation TD for a few years, on both TV series and feature film; you won't hear complaints from me.

Oh, and a licence for Maya Complete 5.0 is ~2.000 euros.

>This is no pathetic 3d studio max.

biggrin_o.gif That's a bit mean. But then again, there was a trend amongst PC magazines to publish articles comparing 3DSM and Maya, in an effort to decide which was better. Come on..!

Well, compared to Maya 3DSMax is a joke. Ever tried working with splines in in 3DS? rock.gif

No, but seriously, they're not comparable. One is for amateur play and game modelling while the other is a professional production system.

Quote[/b] ]Oh, and a licence for Maya Complete 5.0 is ~2.000 euros.

Yeah, but what you want is the grand prize: Maya Unlimited with all the nifty things like Fur shaders. Also Mental Ray is kick-ass compared to the standard rendering engine. I've never coded any shaders for it myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

But yeah, it's become cheaper recently. I remember the good old days when Softimage cost ~100,000 euros. wink_o.gif

My god! wow_o.gif I've wanted to get into 3d modelling for a loong time, but even the amateur programs are too expensive, and now I can get a real professional program for free. (Or no-cost, whatever) I'll have to download it tomorrow and try learning use it.

Just for your information you who didn't already know. I think maya was used in Animatrix and THE Lord Of The Rings. wink_o.gif

Wonder if 3d max could do that.

Thank God almighty, it's free at last! biggrin_o.gif

Yippee, now I can make some "rad" animations (no offence AEF, great tool et al wink_o.giftounge_o.gif )

Does the free version work with teaCup's plugin?

Thanks

Gameer

Fabulous, but i'll have to download the bugga over night (56k).

Is it just me that has to wait about 30 seconds before the download starts?

Gameer