Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

1985 equipment

Read Red Storm Rising. It is basicly OFP in book form and on a global scale. And talks about the weaponry of the time unclesam.gif  tounge_o.gif

It was also written by Tom Clancy  rock.gif  tounge_o.gif

arghhhhhh~~~

ANOTHER TOM CLANCY!!!

i have had already too many of his book needed to read~ biggrin_o.gif

i had some infomation about the M1 which is still in test, but i lost it, all i remember is that it is using a 105mm(some say 125??) cannon instead of 120mm using by M1A1 HA/A2

Read Red Storm Rising. It is basicly OFP in book form and on a global scale. And talks about the weaponry of the time unclesam.giftounge_o.gif

It was also written by Tom Clancy rock.giftounge_o.gif

arghhhhhh~~~

ANOTHER TOM CLANCY!!!

i have had already too many of his book needed to read~ biggrin_o.gif

i had some infomation about the M1 which is still in test, but i lost it, all i remember is that it is using a 105mm(some say 125??) cannon instead of 120mm using by M1A1 HA/A2

You have read Clancy but not Red storm rising? Shame on you. tounge_o.gif

You have read Clancy but not Red storm rising? Shame on you. tounge_o.gif

i am still trying to finish up my Band of Brothers!! sad_o.gif

Tom Clancy would be the next target though........

Okay thanks guys. What about AA guns?

And what kind of stuff do you think the boys on everon would have?

I might be stating the obvious but the Russians, defendeing an Island, would have relied on Stationary AA guns, like the ZU-23 (It's been done by someone, AKM74 and someone else affiliated with the DKM Mod, though this could be the same person, AKM74 rock.gif  tounge_o.gif )

If the Russians used the ZU-23, it would be used in conjunction with this

sa_4a.jpg

sa-4-img013.jpg

The SA-4 Ganef.

If Shilkas were deployed, then we'd see SA-9's and SA-6's deployed in aid of the shilkas.

For pure AA missile defence, The Soviets could have had numerous possibilities, but if the Island in question was an established soviet position of fairly vital importance, then the SA-2 with spoon rest and knife rest radar installations would have been present in limited numbers.

SA-3 with mobile low blow or squat eye radar guidence could have been present.

SA-5 Gamon could have been present, though for OFP, would be unrealistic due to its minimum(!) range of 60ish (I think I read this somewhere) k's.

The SA-6 with straight flush FCS and  Long track targeting system could have been used.

The SA-8 Gecko was introduced in around 1980, and being a self contained low altitude system, would probably have been on the island in question, as the soviets usually deployed their best equiptment to where it would most likely see use.

The SA-9 ontop of a BDRM might have been around. (I'm Suprised no-one has made this for flashpoint yet, thoigh is a BRDM classed as amored or car in game?, This might explain)

The SA-11, which has been made for flashpoint, would have been around at the time, being a early 80's introducion to the red army.

The SA-13 probably would not have been around, but its chassis, the MT-LB would have definantly been around.

And that would be the max that the soviets could have used.

The Americans, persuming its the invading force, the Hawk SAM system would have been in its premium years of service.

The Nike might have still been around and kickin.

The Vulcan would have been active for sure both in the APC variant and towed varients

And the Chapparel might also have been around in its A1 form.

Most of this info is from memory playing falcon 4 alot. You get to want to know the capabilities of the equpment the baddies are using, *edit* especially when your RWR goes nuts and AWACS reports SAM launches!!! *end edit* and the general introduction dates as well.

Hope this helps.

Note how the ruskies were almost paranoid about aircraft defence, hence so many very capable units.

Keep it comin´ smile_o.gif

Could someone give an educated guess on how many troops are involved in, say, the Malden invasion? Would the Soviets use Naval Infantry, what units from each side could be present? A NATO base of U.S forces vs. an amphibious Soviet invasion force.

Keep it comin´  smile_o.gif

Could someone give an educated guess on how many troops are involved in, say, the Malden invasion? Would the Soviets use Naval Infantry, what units from each side could be present? A NATO base of U.S forces vs. an amphibious Soviet invasion force.

For an invasion force, IE, a force establishing a beachead, a ratio of 1.5 soldiers for the invading force per soldier of the defending force would be the absolute bare minimum I'd expect, but this is dependant on numerous factors. Like, whether the Defending force was alert for a impending invasion.

If you could, be a bit more specific on what the defending force would be doing/expecting. You don't have an invasion without proper planning and intelligence.

The NATO force on the Island depends on the strategic significance of the Island. If the Island is of little importance, you might expect a small 'peacekeeping like' force of mayby a couple of hundred men, with predominantly Trucks and mayby a few M-113's for troop transportation, and limited air transport, at least for an American NATO post in 1985..........................

It's hard to say a correct answer because the force present depends an awful lot on the significance of the island to NATO; and it's hard to give a detailed answer when it's a general question.

To consider the force present, the significance of the island must be known, the location of the island must be known. (Is it say, a couple of kays away from a river mouth that is known to have a soviet sub or naval base upstream, or is it off the coast in the relative peacefulness Southern France (Just examples) or what?). Thats a starting point, from there we could establish what units would be present on the American side of things, and after that, what the soviets would use to invade, depending on whether it would be a winning or loosing battle.

Is it just me or do I smell the storyline of another 1985 campaign brewing here!   rock.gif  wink_o.gif  smile_o.gif  blues.gif

*edit*spelling

I´m talking about the invasion in the original campaign, so I have no specific numbers.

I would suggest to count the military bases on Malden and Everon and assume one battalion per base, mainly consisting of  (part. mech.) infantry, a few armored and Army/Marines aviation (chopper) units and a wing of A10s on the airport...

Edit: Thinking about it, a battalion per base might be a bit to much, considering the size of those bases. Maybe more like a company(~100men) or two is more appropriate...

Edit2: Not to forget some support units, e.g. transport, AA, supply, mechanics, hospital/medics, HQ, Artillery...

Edit3: All in all, I guess the NATO forces would have the strength of a Mech. Infantry Brigade or maybe a very small Mech. Inf. Division. Organisation or this

Wasn't it like the only NATO presence was on that small island around Malden (the only military base there apart from the small one at the airport) at the beginning? If they had troops on Everon, they wouldn't have to send them in with choppers from Malden. wink_o.gif

The Soviets must have had airborne and naval infantry troops on Kolgujev, it's full of military installations. I'd say the ratio was at least 2 Soviets per NATO soldier.

What are the default East and West soldiers modelled after anyway? I know the camo pattern for the East soldiers, but is it that common as to be used by ALL East soldiers? And should they have that bedroll?

What changes should be made to the soldiers to make them more fitting for 1985?

by the way , what kind of boots were the soviets using back in that time ? because the Bis ones seem quite wrong , they reminds me of the boots i've worn with double ankle buckles

-edit- i've seen a russian buckle model with a single buckle

Yeah, BAS OPFOR also wear French combat boots now. biggrin_o.gif

BTW yugoslavian army used boots with two buckles too.

The only unit I can identify are spetsnatz. They're airborne spetsnatz, because they wear the airborne badge and a blue-white striped shirt.

The bedrolls look odd, I've never seen soldiers with them in RL.

I was in service in 1985 and I don't recall getting issued a bedroll or even seeing anyone with one

$33ker @ Oct. 08 2003,22:05)]Yeah, BAS OPFOR also wear French combat boots now. biggrin_o.gif

piccy ? don't have res installed atm smile_o.gif

I /highly/ doubt there was a Brigade-sized force on Malden. Probably more like a reinforced mechanized infantry company. You don't really need anything larger than a Battalion or two to control an Island the size of Malden.

I always thought that Malden would be a perfect place for a backwater NATO logistics facility or military hospital, but not for a serious military force. There's nothing worth defending there.

But still BIS made a great mission there on HOLD THE PORT smile_o.gif

That was defence and the Spetzntz raid one too.

But i guess if the soviets pushed nATO off there then there was noplace for NATO to go except Desert Island crazy_o.gif

I always thought that Malden would be a perfect place for a backwater NATO logistics facility or military hospital, but not for a serious military force. There's nothing worth defending there.

Unless the Soviets happened to be parked a few islands over.

Wouldn't the T80 be the MBT? rock.gif  smile_o.gif

I don't think during the cold war.All I know is that from watching a show on the M1 Abrams, they said the USA created the M1 to combat against USSR best tank, the T-72.

Y'know, on most of the shows i've seen about the Abrams, they always make the T72 out to be an actual challenge. We know how well they did in Desert Storm.

Yeah, not much of a challenge when they're crewed with poorly trained units with nonexistent morale and little to no coordination or communication...  rock.gif

Hundreds of T72s in well-trained first line units launching an assault into West Germany one fine morning would be something else entirely  crazy_o.gif

-5hole

I /highly/ doubt there was a Brigade-sized force on Malden. Probably more like a reinforced mechanized infantry company. You don't really need anything larger than a Battalion or two to control an Island the size of Malden.

There you go. Following the second link above (and the links provided there), a Brigade can be made of two or more Battalions  tounge_o.gif And I was thinking about a presence on both islands, Malden and Everon.

$33ker already said there is only one base on Malden and on Everon there are also very few of them (disregarding that there was no NATO presence on Everon in the beginning according to the plot). Not to forget, that Armstrongs squad were n00bs  biggrin_o.gif

I was in service in 1985 and I don't recall getting issued a bedroll or even seeing anyone with one

Hah, well there you go! So bedrolls should definitely be removed...

$33ker @ Oct. 08 2003,22:05)]Yeah, BAS OPFOR also wear French combat boots now. biggrin_o.gif

piccy ? don't have res installed atm smile_o.gif

BASboots.jpg

might be a little dark...

Anyone know what the main type of CAS plane was for the Soviets? or what the main transport helicopter was for the Soviets?

Soviets used the SU-25 for CAS, the Mi-8 for shuttling troops around, and the Mi-26 for everything that wouldn't fit in an Mi-8.

Assuming that you are shooting for realism:

IF Malden, Everon, and Kolgujev were as close together as OFP makes them out to be, wouldn't there primarily be a naval presence? I am thinking naval bases more than anything.

If there was an invasion, it would have been a coordinated fight on all islands with heavy Naval support and Marines. The USSR (I cannot believe) would park Battalions of infantry out in the middle of the ocean without submarine and surface vessel defence. Once those defences were taken out (if they were) it would hardly be difficult to blockade and eat away at the islands with off-shore artillery and bomb strikes. Mop up the mess with a few Marines a la Grenada style. (which was a mess in and of itself).

I can't imagine a full scale land combat campaign for a few islands (as Hellfish pointed out - there is NOTHING THERE).

In fact, Grenada might be a good point of reference for a campaign... hmmm......

Quote[/b] ]DESCRIPTION OF CONFLICT:

In the early morning of October 25, 1983, the United States invaded the island of Grenada. The initial assault consisted of some 1,200 troops, and they were met by stiff resistance from the Grenadian army and Cuban military units on the island. Heavy fighting continued for several days, but as the invasion force grew to more than 7,000, the defenders either surrendered or fled into the mountains. Scattered fighting continued as U.S. troops hunted down stragglers, but for the most part, the island quickly fell under American control. By mid-December, U.S. combat forces went home and a pro-American government took power.

from http://www.historyguy.com/Grenada.html#grenadatype

The US Army Rangers did take part by invading from the south, but from what I understand (and may be wrong) is that it was supposed to be a joint effort by all branches of the mil. because every branch claimed to have a better plan then the others (each had lots of new toys to test out) and no one would would let any other branch take the glory.

But, I could be wrong.