Sign in to follow this  
EiZei

Copter sims?

This one probably has been discussed previously but what the hell. tounge_o.gif

Does anyone have any recommendations on at least somewhat realistic (commanche-series is NOT realistic. wink_o.gif) helicopter simulations which work on Windows 2000?

Of course OFP smile_o.gif

There´s also an older game, AH64 Longbow iirc, wich was pretty good.

Microproses Gunship! (the exclamation mark is actually in the title tounge_o.gif ) is pretty good. Don't know if it works with Win 2000, I'm under the impression that Win 2000 is the worst version of windows for games to run in, bar of course Win 95 tounge_o.gif .

Microproses Gunship! (the exclamation mark is actually in the title tounge_o.gif ) is pretty good. Don't know if it works with Win 2000, I'm under the impression that Win 2000 is the worst version of windows for games to run in, bar of course Win 95 tounge_o.gif .

Considering that WinXP is merely Windows 2000 with eye candy and Windows 98 a bugfixed 95?

Microproses Gunship! (the exclamation mark is actually in the title  tounge_o.gif ) is pretty good. Don't know if it works with Win 2000, I'm under the impression that Win 2000 is the worst version of windows for games to run in, bar of course Win 95 tounge_o.gif .

Considering that WinXP is merely Windows 2000 with eye candy and Windows 98 a bugfixed 95?

I think we all feel the pain, if only other users of my machine were smart enough to use Linux. I considered a Mac, then disregarded it instantly. Fixed systems, non-upgradability, pfft, I ain't that stupid. wink_o.gif

*edit* For the Stutus quo, theres Windows ME tounge_o.gif

heh, and ME was 98 with new bugs and "crash 24/7â„¢" introduced

...prolly easier to say any windows? :P

but seriously, i didnt like the new Gunship! really, the graphics were "ok" but the game play was terrible, i was hoping it would be something along the lines of where Longbow 2 left off... not some pure arcade game which it felt like

that fari strike looks interesting though, not heard of it before however

*edit* For the Stutus quo, theres Windows ME tounge_o.gif

The good old Windows Malfunction Edition. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Fair Strike is just around the corner btw

I think I'll download the Fair Strike demo and see if it's any good. smile_o.gif

but seriously, i didnt like the new Gunship! really, the graphics were "ok" but the game play was terrible, i was hoping it would be something along the lines of where Longbow 2 left off... not some pure arcade game which it felt like

that fari strike looks interesting though, not heard of it before however

IMO Longbow 2 still have no competition. All other sims lack the depth. Gunship! was just some arcade-ish eyecandy.

I recomend you download the Fair Strike demo 300MB

I think its the 2nd most "advanced" chopper sim.

And you get to fly the Apache smile_o.gif

The good old Windows Malfunction Edition. tounge_o.gif

LOL, indeed it was. tounge_o.gif

Hmmm, what was the name of that extremely early Chopper sim I used to play in the days of C64 or 286 cpu's. The game eventually made it onto Sega's Mega Drive. It was my favourite game for some years. You could fly through the desert and shoot camels and alligators at waterholes, and Mig 23's used to buzz you every now and again. It was a great game. The precursor to all Chopper Sims.

Quote[/b] ]Gunship! was just some arcade-ish eyecandy.

And it was pretty arcade-ish eye candy. tounge_o.gif . and it was very good at being arcadey! wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Well, I mentioned Windows 2000 since some very early windows games and dos games are pain in the arse get working on it. DL'ing the fair strike demo now. smile_o.gif

Is it just me, or are the gfx in the Fair Strike demo, like really, really f&@#%^ up?

Radeon 9000 Catylist 3.7, P4 2.6ghx, 512 DDR

Is it just me, or are the gfx in the Fair Strike demo, like really, really f&@#%^ up?

Turn grass-detail to OFF (slider to left) and the graphics looks very nice. On par with LO-MAC maybe....

From the readme:

Quote[/b] ][7] THIS IS ONLY A DEMO

Please note that this demo is not a final product, and this demo quality and

performance do not represent the quality and performance of the final product,

which we still have time to improve.

I assume the full-version will be less demanding (unless more eyecandy-effects are added).

I've tried it w/ everything maxed out and w/ everything at the minimum.  I always get this(sitting in the Ka-50 on the Kuznetsov):

fairstrike.jpgsad_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

Unless this is the Russian's Philedelfia Expirement, I don't think its supposed to look like that biggrin_o.gif

I recommend Enemy Engaged Commanche Hokum (EECH) . It's a good sim and it has a dynamic campaign. The source code for the game has been released and I know there was some people working on improving the game but I’m not sure how things are going right now.

You can read more about the game here: http://www.razorworks.com/enemyengaged/index.html

Longbow 2 (of course!)

The EE series (not as realistic in terms of flight dynamics, but its virtual battlefield is really really cool)

And MSFS 2K4 for all your Bell Jet Ranger needs.

I'm looking forward to Richard "Flexman" Hawley's hobby-project.

He used to be a die-hard Longbow 2-fan/enthusiast (like myself) and since there does'nt look like there will ever be a 3 he started working on his own smile_o.gif

I wish I could help him in some way. I'm very very very anxious to see his end-result.  wow_o.gif

This one probably has been discussed previously but what the hell. tounge_o.gif

Does anyone have any recommendations on at least somewhat realistic (commanche-series is NOT realistic. wink_o.gif) helicopter simulations which work on Windows 2000?

Emphasis added. tounge_o.gif

And fair strike doesnt seem to work with my sidewinder precision pro, oh well.

Poor old Gunship!

It really did have potential, and was going to be marketed as a serious sim. Not only that, but it was going to be compatible with M1 Tank Platoon 3, so players could command air and ground units in multiplayer. What happened?

Hasbro bought Microprose...

They wanted a quick release to sell, so they forced Gunship 3 (Rebranded as Gunship! ) out of the door, still in a Alpha state! A couple of the Mircroprose team quit over that.

Unsuprisingly, Gunship! didn't go down to well with the public. It was fucking awful, and many copies returned. The weasels at Hasbro then assumed that 'war' wasn't in, and canned M1 Tank Platoon 3.

Fuckers!

Not only that, but Hasbro kicked F4 out the door early, and then sacked the entire Microprose team. (Thankfully, one of whom leaked the code to the game) Thanks to some deluded marketing choices, we lost two great sims, and one of the best sim companies around at the time.

Cheers Hasbro, stick to board games. (What the hell would they want with a sim company anyway? )

Thanks to some deluded marketing choices, we lost two great sims, and one of the best sim companies around at the time.

I think the biggest loss we have suffered is thanks to EA.

Thanks to EA we have lost Jane's Combat Simulations.

GRRR  crazy_o.gif That is one reason I'm not buying EA-products.

If only the Skunkworks could make a 3rd Apache-sim. Never heard about them after LB2. Anyone know anything about them?