Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

The airplanes look very good indeed. I am however not very impressed with the ground units & naval vessles. But it is still work in progress, so we'll se when it's finished... smile.gif

WOW...Thats soo sweet. I agree with denoir about how the navy and ground units dont look too good. Only time will make things better.

Ya know, iv never been much for flight sims, but that is VERY nice!

Well i never liked the straight flying games where you could only fly jets. I like a little variety myself. Thats why i like OFP. If you get tired of driving a car somewhere take a chopper. Want to get to your destination even faster? Take an A-10.

I really like how they are putting choppers in. Thats something all flight sims need. A variety.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 10 2002,00:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The airplanes look very good indeed. I am however not very impressed with the ground units & naval vessles. But it is still work in progress, so we'll se when it's finished... smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

HUH confused.gif?confused.gif?

some of the textures and models for ground units are better than those in ofp !!!!!

flexibility confused.gif?confused.gif lol it's only meant to be a flight sim , nothing else

LOMAC has the best ground units representations , better than any other flight sim

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ July 10 2002,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ July 10 2002,00:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The airplanes look very good indeed. I am however not very impressed with the ground units & naval vessles. But it is still work in progress, so we'll se when it's finished... smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

HUH confused.gif?confused.gif?

some of the textures and models for ground units are better than those in ofp !!!!!<span id='postcolor'>

Are you kidding me ??

Compare these:

ofp1.jpg

lo1.jpg

lo2.jpg

ofp2.jpg

hmmm ......

anyway , the ofp skins look dirtier than the lomac ones smile.gif

ok i admit of has better models

but lomac has the best ground units graphics for a flight sim

I think Denoir has a point there. The screenies prove it. OFP is just awesome in the graphics, worlds, and flexibility fields. No where else can you have such good combined arms battles. Anyways, it don't think it much matters how good the ground units look since you will never be that close to them because you can only be a pilot. For me a good flight sim is defined by having the ability to take off and land, and the combat/controls not being so realistic that you are unable to enjoy the game due to complexities. Carrier landings would be a plus. It even looks like you can do in-flight refueling. smile.gif

Not very many flyable aircraft for NATO though. sad.gif

Where is the F-16? F-22? F-18?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ July 10 2002,02:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Where is the F-16? F-22? F-18?<span id='postcolor'>

This game made in EAGLE DYNAMICS (Russia, Moscow)  tounge.gif

F-16? F-22? F-18?

After Mi-28 and BTR-80, and fixed BRDM-2 and V-80 in OFP  biggrin.gif

I think ill probably buy that game, but Denoir is right, the graphics in OFP are 100% better then the Lock on:modern air combat ones.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This game made in EAGLE DYNAMICS (Russia, Moscow)<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, that explains it.

Maybe you not see IL-2 "Shturmovik"

MADDOX (Moscow,Russia) biggrin.gif

Don't underestimate the Russians, they have some incredibly talented software engineers and mathematicians.

And these days, they have access to the same leading-edge hardware that the West does, so there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be able to produce a game that can take on anything put out elsewhere.

I remember the orginal Flanker by ED they had to get special promission to bring 486's in from the west to make the game as it was the early 90s and there was still tension between the west and Russia and tech was hard to import from the west.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ July 10 2002,06:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't underestimate the Russians, they have some incredibly talented software engineers and mathematicians.

And these days, they have access to the same leading-edge hardware that the West does, so there is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be able to produce a game that can take on anything put out elsewhere.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree entirely. I think it is actually really interesting to see how Eastern Europe is taking a prominent place in software development. They don't have the proper industrial infrastructure to compete with the West, but with computers that doesn't matter. Just look how many games we have gotten the last few years:

IL Sturmovik - Russia

OFP - Czech Republic

Serious Sam - Croatia

Hidden & Dangerous - Czech Republic

....to mention a few.

Another thing that I find good is that Eastern European software developers are trying more to squeeze out the maximum performance from a computer. Too many game programmers today are sitting in their comfy Visual Studio environment, using pre-defined MFC classes and not worrying about performance, memory leaks and such. While the eastern companies in theory have access to the same hadware as the western, in practice (at least in the beginning) they have lesser system. That has led them to think twice when writing 3d-engines and similar things.

Another factor why the success is so evident in the field of games is probably their very good knowledge of mathematics (and hence 3d geometry).

Anybody here heard of a game called Rebublic? It's a Russian or Czech made game, and it's going to have awesome graphics. You have entire 20x20km (or so) cities to play around in. The story is that you are a guy that's trying to take over the control of those cities. By any means possible. smile.gif

062920028363858.jpg

LO-MAC looks very impressive, but they have delayed it until 2003. I don't mind a lot, because i doubt i can play that game with my TNT2 confused.gif

Sadico, you hear that? Its a brand spanking new GeForce 4 calling your name. Heed the call... tounge.gif

Yep! biggrin.gif

At the end of august i'll get my pay for the 15 last days of july and august (1080 €), so i'll get a GF4 Ti.