Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

Yeah, I saw this earlier today on Avsim.  Its about time, though I'm sure the developers have been working real hard. smile_o.gif I'm surprised though, that the publishers (ubi) couldn't do anything to further delay its release. crazy_o.gif

Yeah, I saw this earlier today on Avsim.  Its about time, though I'm sure the developers have been working real hard. smile_o.gif I'm surprised though, that the publishers (ubi) couldn't do anything to further delay its release. crazy_o.gif

Have no fear, they'll find a way to botch the actual release, just like with Resistance smile_o.gif

Well, I tried the Demo. Someone at work burnt it for me (I miss high speed sad_o.gif ), and on all the lowest settings it runs fine :P. (the only thing that pisses me off is I can't turn Effects on at all, or my aircraft is invisible mad_o.gif. It means I don't get to see missile or vapour trails, or even aircraft on fire. Anyways, I'm happy with the fight model and avionics, I didn't have to do much to get comfortable with the MiG-29 except remember my Flanker 1.0 days, but the demo IS buggy as hell (The forementioned Effects issue, which might be the fault of my antiquated Radeon 7500, the hat switch on my joystick only changes the view half the time when I use it and I found myself having to use the numeric keypad in order to use the Shlemm properly, my joystick wont fire even though I changed the button myself in the settings!!! mad_o.gif Only Spacebar does the trick). Then you have the inaccuracies such as only 100 cannon rounds and an active jammer in the MiG-29 9.12 (A) which in fact is a leftover of Flanker 2.0's MiG-29 9.13K. I'm wondering if the reason the Mirage outmaneuvers the MiG easily on the horizontal plane in the demo is the fact that they are also using the heavier mass of the MiG-29K. Anyways, I see a lot of potential, but things need to get fixed and I need to upgrade before I buy this one, which will probably be later rather than sooner.

Does anyone know if there's an actual release date? I mean the date that it should be in stores.

Cool smile_o.gif So it should probably be out by this weekend. smile_o.gif *counts $$* biggrin_o.gif

Cool smile_o.gif  So it should probably be out by this weekend. smile_o.gif *counts $$* biggrin_o.gif

I would bet on something like "two weeks" from this weekend smile_o.gif

Well, I tried the Demo. Someone at work burnt it for me (I miss high speed sad_o.gif ), and on all the lowest settings it runs fine :P. (the only thing that pisses me off is I can't turn Effects on at all, or my aircraft is invisible  mad_o.gif. It means I don't get to see missile or vapour trails, or even aircraft on fire. Anyways, I'm happy with the fight model and avionics, I didn't have to do much to get comfortable with the MiG-29 except remember my Flanker 1.0 days, but the demo IS buggy as hell (The forementioned Effects issue, which might be the fault of my antiquated Radeon 7500, the hat switch on my joystick only changes the view half the time when I use it and I found myself having to use the numeric keypad in order to use the Shlemm properly, my joystick wont fire even though I changed the button myself in the settings!!!  mad_o.gif Only Spacebar does the trick). Then you have the inaccuracies such as only 100 cannon rounds and an active jammer in the MiG-29 9.12 (A) which in fact is a leftover of Flanker 2.0's MiG-29 9.13K. I'm wondering if the reason the Mirage outmaneuvers the MiG easily on the horizontal plane in the demo is the fact that they are also using the heavier mass of the MiG-29K. Anyways, I see a lot of potential, but things need to get fixed and I need to upgrade before I buy this one, which will probably be later rather than sooner.

All these bugs are addressed at numerous points throughout the official forum...

Some people have even modded R-77s onto the 29A for the demo mission!

Speaking of the mods, people who cant wait for the release should download the "unofficial" patches and Sam packs.  They really add alot, and address a few bugs (like no moon).

Look for the "ultimate mods thread" on general discussion forum.

Some people have even modded R-77s onto the 29A for the demo mission!

Why would I want yet another innacuracy? Might as well stick Aim-120's on that MiG biggrin_o.gif. Thanks for the info though, haven't been there often. So things like the graphical glitches (I played around with it a bit, and sometimes Effects works, but only when it wants to - looks great when it does) and the Hat-switch/joystick button not working properly have been brought up? Then maybe it's not just my shitty system smile_o.gif

The demo was absolutely bug ridden for me. I couldn't play the MiG-29 unless I'd already flown the A-10 for some wierd reason. And there were tons more bugs, but I think they're all known. I'm hoping the final release has corrected them.

I'm afraid the old gfx card won't allow the full effects to be displayed for you Tovarisch... they require a DX8 capable video card sad_o.gif

it was also discovered that the MiG's engine's T/W is lower in the demo than it should be... I think they upped it slightly

one thing I'm shamed to hear about it, is that they didn't implement client-midair-refuelling for MP sad_o.gif Also they didn't implement multiple clients starting on the Kuzzy for Coop sad_o.gif

oooh well, should still be a nice addition to the almost dead flight sim genre tounge_o.gif

I'm afraid the old gfx card won't allow the full effects to be displayed for you Tovarisch... they require a DX8 capable video card sad_o.gif

Oh yes it does smile_o.gif. I've played it with effects on Excellent (but like I said, only if it wants to). Half the time it works, and half the time both my MiG and the Mirage are invisible, and after a few seconds Nadya tells me my engines are on fire crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Rumors have it Lomac will arrive in US on friday...

(mine is already pre-ordered from EB though, so I'm sure it will be a bit longer wait)

On a possibly related note, my stepdad called me yesterday and seemed very interested in the specs to my computer....hmm, both my birthday and christmas are coming up soon, maybe I'll be getting a new rig soon after all smile_o.gif.

Jeeze man, this looks like this game could be a OFP killer, LITERALLY!!!!  wow_o.gif

Man, if it models ground, sea, and air ops well and is reasonably realistic, then that game has my money as soon as its released.

It needs more playable aircraft though, not enough by my standards currently.

Wow, didn't know how involved it was until I seen the screenshots of the game.  (Mainly the land, sea battle screeenshots.)

Bout bloody time someone came out with a good overall sim similar to OFP, but focuses on the flying aspect.   biggrin_o.gif

I wish I could do a theater of battle control for this game though, like Harpoon or Janes Fleet Command.  The game engine looks almost perfect for a modern naval warfare game, just modify the interface and some features.

Jeeze man, this looks like this game could be a OFP killer, LITERALLY!!!! wow_o.gif

Man, if it models ground, sea, and air ops well and is reasonably realistic, then that game has my money as soon as its released.

It needs more playable aircraft though, not enough by my standards currently.

Wow, didn't know how involved it was until I seen the screenshots of the game. (Mainly the land, sea battle screeenshots.)

Bout bloody time someone came out with a good overall sim similar to OFP, but focuses on the flying aspect. biggrin_o.gif

I wish I could do a theater of battle control for this game though, like Harpoon or Janes Fleet Command. The game engine looks almost perfect for a modern naval warfare game, just modify the interface and some features.

Unless you can fight as an infantryman in lo-mac I would call that comparison hardly reasonable. wink_o.gif

http://www.avsim.com/

It looks like that rumor was correct rufusmac

Quote[/b] ]LOMAC Hits Retail Shelves in U.S.

Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 20:29

Good news for combat sim fans! Ubi Soft's long awaited jet combat sim "Lockon: Modern Air Combat (LOMAC)" has today appeared on retail shelves in the U.S. We here at Avsim have just picked up our boxed store shelf copy to go along with the press Gold copies for our upcoming review of this highly anticipated title. Stay tuned for this in depth review by Avsim's highly experienced review team of 3 former real world military aviators. Coming to a screen near you in the near future. In the meantime, check your local retailer for your copy of LOMAC

Its still quite bugged, performance is very varied, first it runs fine at 40-50fps and then booom turns into a slideshow when something small happens. Multiplayer doesnt seem to be working very well either, and theres some weird small bugs all around, like buttons in options not working. Clearly rushed out a bit too early, so after a patch or two it should be quite good...

...so how is it, Tex? Any bugs, problems, etc?

It's very good, in the sense that it's an unpatched flight sim that has just emerged from a protracted development cycle. The flight models are good (especially the Su25, which will give you a run for your money), the avionics, while of course not on Falcon's level, are perfectly serviceable and strike a nice balance between realism and slavish devotion to accuracy. There are bugs- now and then it will CTD me during a mission load, (a pain in the ass because I'm still in the period where I change my controls almost every time up) and sometimes your cockpit will just turn invisible for no reason whatsoever. Those are the main bugs I've witnessed beyond minor oddities like an F16 landing at an airfield that was still technically in enemy hands. Overall I'd say it's an excellent evolution in the Flanker series, is downright gorgeous (I was having performance hiccups until I tweaked my settings just right and then cranked up Lomac's CPU priority), and is fun in the simulator definition of the word. A few patches and it'll be great. As for Multiplayer, I haven't gotten actually gotten into a game yet on account of my principled refusal to install UbiSoft's multiplayer service. I'll just polish my skills in singleplayer and wait for Hyperlobby support (and, it appears, hope for a netcode fix. I knew limiting multi to peer-to-peer was a bad idea).