Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

LO-MAC is something I'll never understand.

Lots of people are having instability issues, lots have none.

I've experienced maybe 3 crashes to desktop (the C++ type where M$ knowledge base blame it on the programmer).

Yes, the 1.01 patch did wonders to the performance for me too, but the real wonder won't arrive unless you seriously upgrade your computer.

Right now I'm having tons of fun with this thanks to this so I'm in no hurry for the 1.02 patch.

I've also always been mainly a rotorhead anyway. Much more challenging flying a rotor-wing aircraft compared to a fixed-wing aircraft and thus more fun (for me) and unlimited freedom.

its been a looong time since i played LB2, was one of the first PC games i ever got biggrin_o.gif

I was kind of hoping Gunship! (3) would fill the void left by LB2 when it came out, but it turned out to be nothing but an arcade shooter with some "ok" graphics

I tried this LOMAC recently, and I have to say it is pretty damn neat (after 1.01 patch) but I keep getting the light blue screen after about 5 minutes flight time.  That is because I have a GF256 type of video card and they screwed the code up for that, they say hey will fix it in the next patch 1.02 at least for Nvidia GF2... so I'm hoping, right now it's a paperweight.

Compared to my all time favorite Tornado FS, this is absolute garbage when it comes to reliability/bugs.  Even compared to IL2 it is a lot worse in that respect.

Ditto.I have a geforce 2 card, and when I have Effects on, thats when I get the blue flickering.(It gives me a major head ache. crazy_o.gif ).The only option is to turn off effects which fixes that problem. sad_o.gif

But I find having effects on, is a must in air to air combat.

Thanks for the tip, my blue screen comes, and never leaves until I restart the game, usually happens after effects. Thank you for tip about turning them off. (my brain is in schoool mode rather than thinking mode) wink_o.gifwink_o.gif

its been a looong time since i played LB2, was one of the first PC games i ever got biggrin_o.gif

I was kind of hoping Gunship! (3) would fill the void left by LB2 when it came out, but it turned out to be nothing but an arcade shooter with some "ok" graphics

Still is the king of all helo-sims.

Give it a go with that wrapper. Just don't forget to use a program like CPUKiller unless you want to fly Airwolf in mach 2 biggrin_o.gif

I´m still trying to get all functions for russian planes radars and weapon systems in LOMAC. It´s not easy to learn and the manual tells not very much, even the big PDF manual. It will take me some time until I got it all going in full real mode. I´m still fighting biggrin_o.gif

The 1.02 patch is out if someone here plays Lock-on and have missed that. I have been playing around with it for about an hour and I really like it so far. The new features (CCRP, new RWR and more) are great. It also feels like it runs a bit better than previous version.

damn it must have been released this evening, was on the forums earlier on and nothing new... thanks for the heads up *runs over to the lo-mac forums*

first impressions of 1.2 are good, i love the combination of mouse look and the mini-hud, i might be wrong but the tones on the RHAWS sound different, better though if it isnt just my imagination, slammers are more than dead weight now when against anything but a straight and level target, they actually HIT something now

How does the A-10 CCRP work?

Do you have to hold the release-button while flying over the designated target or does the CCRP release the ordnance nomatter what as long as the CCRP passes over the target?

Do you slew the CCRP the same way as with the EOS-camera for Mavericks?

Going to download the patch when I get home.

Not sure when I'll be able to try it out though sad_o.gif

I'm still in the middle of season 2 of Transformers on DVD and got one more season to go biggrin_o.gif

CCRP works like this: you pickle once to set the release point, then you fly straight and level through the release point you designated.

I can slew the CCRP over a target and lock on to it. But how do I get the computer to drop bombs by itself?

What does those two readings mean that appear at the top of the HUD when CCRP has locked onto something?

The new warning tones are awful. I can't seem to get used to using different triggers either. Overall, though the F-15 is deadlier and I get a bit better graphical performance....but the Russian missiles suck now! Long range capability is now laughable, and the AA-11 Archers don't seem to be performing at all.

Look at the "Read Me" file (read_me-102.doc) that comes with the patch. It explain CCRP bombing (and more) with text and pictures.

heh, the strange thing is, i havemt found a readme yet

the RHAWs sounds are similar to that of those in Falcon 4, though there seems to be only a couple of tones for all of them rather than one for each type of radar in F4

as for the Russian AAM's i disagree, the R-27ERs and ETs are better now, so long as you can keep a lock and avoid the inevitable slammer to the face you will have a good chance of hitting (unless the opfor outmanuvers the missile)

having said that though, ive noticed something with the missiles which im not sure is a good thing or not, but when i get into a knifefight and get hit, i can usually still get a SRM (IR) off at the guy who shot me down andso also get him while im falling out of the sky biggrin_o.gif

still, the F-15s still dont have data-link like the Russian kit does which puts the BLUEFOR players at a disadvantage, so they really need a sentry or hawkeye up there to help them out

Look at the "Read Me" file (read_me-102.doc) that comes with the patch. It explain CCRP bombing (and more) with text and pictures.

Thanks, bud smile_o.gif

I was looking for documentation in \doc subfolder without realising the file you mentioned is in the root folder of Lock On.

CCRP-bombing is fun biggrin_o.gif

I did'nt know I have to switch to CCRP by pressing "o" after I've locked the target. I thought I was in CCRP-mode already.

The patch has fixed my problems with my Geforce 2!Now I have effects turned on, and no flickering blue screen! biggrin_o.gif

And the game runs a heck of a lot smoother now.Also the training tracks are right on. smile_o.gif

Finally got it, quite by accident too. I actually went into an EB with a co-worker to show him OFP (Which was not there anymore unfortunately, it had been a couple of weeks ago!) and I saw a copy of lo-mac for $15!!! So I got it, not even knowing if it would be playable on my computer (733 overclocked to 940), and fortunately it runs very smooth and even looks great at the low graphics settings. the only problem is the trigger button and hat switch don't respond some times, but I know the patch fixes that problem, so I'm downloading now smile_o.gif.

Funny thing is, last night I installed Windows 98 on another partition so I could play lo-mac's granddaddy, Flanker 1.5 biggrin_o.gif

'bout god damn time, bud tounge_o.gif

I suggest you take a look here for all the great tweaks and mods to increase your fps.

'bout god damn time, bud tounge_o.gif

I suggest you take a look here for all the great tweaks and mods to increase your fps.

Hey, I've got $26 to my name now till tomorrow (hello payday!). Can ya blame me for not getting it when it was $80? tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

Thanks for the link smile_o.gif

Coming from IL2FB i always found the campaign / missions system poorly done at best and completely unuseable at worst. Played it a bit but after the initial excitement went back to IL2FB wink_o.gif

Yes, coming from the old Flanker I was used to the campaign system, so there was no surprise for me there. IL-2 FB has a very atmospheric campaign, whereas Lo-Mac is a much more no-frills simulator in that aspect, but with a powerful mission editor. There were some great user made dynamic campaign generators for Flanker, so I'm sure if they're not out there for Lo-Mac now, they will be soon.

Anyways, I love the Russian avionics, so different from anything you can experience in other modern combat sims, and I love hearing the russian female voice telling me "Pusk Razraishon" (launch authorized) smile_o.gif

Though defeating those Aim-120's when you've got R-27R's.... crazy_o.gif

Oh. :0 Russia, i didnt know there technolgy was that good. ;)

That´s because you are American ;)

Anyone else find the first campaign mission for the Su-27 a bit insane? You and your wingman take off loaded with 4xR-27ER's, 2x R-27ET's and 2xR-73's and are immediately confronted by 4 F-16's loaded up with Aim-120's!!! crazy_o.gif I've beaten it, but not consistently. The only tactic that seems to help is to climb as much as possible initially so that my R-27's have more kinetic energy than their Aim-120's (therefore more range), but even then I've got at least one F-16 trying to lock me up at all times (If I can get the first leader on the defensive with R-27's), and if I loose my lock at any time during the initial BVR pass, I'm dead (the leader of the first pair always manages to point his nose at me and launch a slammer before I can slew the radar beam over him again).

If I kill the first F-16 and make it to WVR, his wingman can normally get a lock on me before I can turn towards him (or at best, we lock at the same time)

crazy_o.gif

Anyways, I just spent an hour and a half trying to figure out a tactic that would work consistently for this mission, and I should be cleaning the appartment :P

I have no knowledge on the SU's or the F-15.

So I can't help you there I'm afraid.

I only do mudwork with the Hog. So ask me anything regarding Mavericks tounge_o.gif