Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

I have yet another SU-33 mission coming up at netwings.org which should be a continuation of the first... I would like to start a campaign with them, but I need a good storyline involving Russia and turkey...

Any ideas?

While F4 was not originally intended to be a 'survey sim' (flying multiple planes).

Actually, it was, and the Dogfight mode is testament to that, 12 seperate aircraft types, all fighters, were available the player, and each had their own individual characteristics.

Although the attention to detail was crude at best by todays Superpak standards, the architecture was there and implemented by the original microprose team.

Quote[/b] ]I see Lomac as the perfect answer to "what would happen if plane X got into a dogfight with this plane Y?"

I see F4 as the answer to "what would happen if country X got into a war with country Y"...

We could have up to four sides, each with access to aircraft in the range of Mig-19's to Su-27's and F-4's to F-18's. I never tested how many aircraft we could have at any one time, but just then, running the original falcon, I made a battle royale dogfight where all four sides had a four-ship formation of all 12 selectable aircraft, so 192 aircraft in total, all trying to shoot down one of the 144 opponents with guns only at first, and then missiles for good measure. Needless to say, it was quite a spectacle....... on the other hand, one on one dogfights could also be made, and as usual, the more modern and technologically superior aircraft would dominate the dogfight whilst it lasted. Usually, as one would expect.

LOMAC can perform one on one dogfights as equally well as F4 has done so since 1998; however, no game or sim has really accomplished all-out warfare on a scale that the Falcon campaign engine can produce. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]LOMAC can perform one on one dogfights as equally well as F4 has done so since 1998; however, no game or sim has really accomplished all-out warfare on a scale that the Falcon campaign engine can produce

I fully agree. We shall see what the modding geniuses of the sim communnity can pull together with Lomac, although it seems a much tougher shell to crack than F4. As it stands, I really value Lomac simply because its graphics are so unparrelled in the sim world...

Quote[/b] ]LOMAC can perform one on one dogfights as equally well as F4 has done so since 1998; however, no game or sim has really accomplished all-out warfare on a scale that the Falcon campaign engine can produce

I fully agree.  We shall see what the modding geniuses of the sim communnity can pull together with Lomac, although it seems a much tougher shell to crack than F4.  As it stands, I really value Lomac simply because its graphics are so unparrelled in the sim world...

Which is why these games complement each other, rather than compete.

Ok just got Falcon 4.0, Apache/Havoc und M1 Tank Platoon 2 in a bundle at ebay for 8 Euro´s .

Is it sufficient to download latest service pack to have all upgrades or do I need to download more than just one service pack to have it up-to-date ?

Pls point me into the right direction. Thx.

Edit: Pls tell me what patches I should grab and where to get them as the product is not officially supported.

Well, the V1.08 patch for F4 would get it running as is. If you want the "best" experience, you want SP3, and Free Faclon 2 (Latter is optional, sorta compliments off of SP3, which in itself, does wonders for F4, making many more flyable planes, weapons, etc.)

SP3 can be had from SP3 Download Site

Free Falcon 2 from

Free Falcon Site

Also the BMS installer from FF2. Believe the install order you would want is Falcon patch, SP3, BMS, Free Falcon 2. Someone correct that if wrong, I have it saved somewhere, but can't find it, and don't remember. smile_o.gif

Note: this info is correct at Febuary 9, 2004

Is it sufficient to download latest service pack to have all upgrades or do I need to download more than just one service pack to have it up-to-date ?

Pls point me into the right direction. Thx.

Edit: Pls tell me what patches I should grab and where to get them as the product is not officially supported.

I'll help you.

First you need the V1.08. This could be on the CD in a folder called updates. If not, you can grab it here: Falcon V1.08 patch page. (Ignore what it says about what windows OS you run, it doesn't matter.)

Make sure you keep this for future 'dances'.

If you want to get the best you can possibly get out of Falcon right now: do it from this order I'm about to give to you. (F4 -> F4 v1.08 -> SP3 -> FF2 -> BMS v1.03 -> FF 2.1 )

Install falcon, then v1.08.

Now the unofficial gear begins

1) SP3: SP3 mirrors list

2) Free Falcon 2: Free Falcon 2  mirrors list

3) BMS V1.03: Get it here.

4) Free Falcon 2.1 for BMS: Free falcon 2.1 for BMS mirror list

This is the current, as is order in which to upgrade Falcon4 in, and I recommend that you save all the installers for future use. Once SP4 comes out. We'll probably need to do the 'dance' again.

(the dance is a full re-install of F4 -> F4 v1.08 -> latest and greatest big thing)

Be aware that SP4 is due any time soon, and it will probably require a new 'dance'.

Thank you very much lads. I´ll download all the stuff to have it ready when F4 catapults into my postbox biggrin_o.gif

Thx again !

Balschoiw.

Thank you very much lads. I´ll download all the stuff to have it ready when F4 catapults into my postbox  biggrin_o.gif

Thx again !

Balschoiw.

Here you go Bals. Follow this link , and it will tell you how install all those packs, AND get it to work!

Post back here if you encounter any problems.

hmm, since installing BMS my Falcon 4 has gone very very unstable, unstable to the point where i can press any button on the UI and I CTD sad_o.gif

not looking very promising I must say rock.gif

hmm, since installing BMS my Falcon 4 has gone very very unstable, unstable to the point where i can press any button on the UI and I CTD sad_o.gif

not looking very promising I must say rock.gif

Screw it, SP4 will be out in a couple of days...

I got both proggies now. Falcon 4.0 and Lomac.

I hate pdf manuals.

I will let me get both manuals printed at a nearby copyshop.

Will this make me suspicious ? smile_o.gif

the AI seem to have improved somewhat and nolonger CTDs at the click of a button

seems good so far smile_o.gif

Hi all,

I m not hijacking this thread but the question i have is not worth making a new topic, and since flightsimfreaks are here i ll ask it here.

Anyone play FS 2004 ? ( MS Flightsim 2004 )

I have a question, i want AI traffic with real liveries, but i just cant seem to find anything good. Anybody knows, prefferably freeware !, a good addon for AI traffic on airports with real life liveries ?

I completely scanned AVSIM.com but only found AI liveries for planes, but not the basic software to change the AI planes.

I d be gratefull for a good tip.

Cheers and thx upfront.

Hi all,

I m not hijacking this thread but the question i have is not worth making a new topic, and since flightsimfreaks are here i ll ask it here.

Anyone play FS 2004 ? ( MS Flightsim 2004 )

I have a question, i want AI traffic with real liveries, but i just cant seem to find anything good.  Anybody knows, prefferably freeware !, a good addon for AI traffic on airports with real life liveries ?

I completely scanned AVSIM.com but only found AI liveries for planes, but not the basic software to change the AI planes.

I d be gratefull for a good tip.

Cheers and thx upfront.

did you try http://www.flightsim.com? I remember from my MSFS days that was the site out there for planes and stuff smile_o.gif

BTW About lomac. Is it just me or is the documentation extremely poor ? Its really putting me off this game, IL2FB is so much more fun to fly and fight in. LOMAC needs better documentation and maybe some good training missions.

Edit: Forum Fucking up the URL mad_o.gif

yep the documentation is utter pish mate youve got to go searching forums and stuff to figure out things dam i miss huge manuels

yep the documentation is utter pish mate youve got to go searching forums and stuff to figure out things dam i miss huge manuels

It may be cheaper on shipping wise to not incorporate a full manual i understand, but the game didnt get any cheaper ... oh well they made a game they can have a bigger profit. As long as they put a good manual on the CD for me to print .... o wait they didnt do that either. Rip off. I will stick with IL2FB and Oleg wink_o.gif

there was an extended manual you could download (or buy the leather backed version) but still, didnt answer some of the questions admitedly

Thx to EDC for the link for projectAI

Cant dl right now, ( servers are down ) but trying it out asap.

Cheers and thx !

smile_o.gif

I tried this LOMAC recently, and I have to say it is pretty damn neat (after 1.01 patch) but I keep getting the light blue screen after about 5 minutes flight time. That is because I have a GF256 type of video card and they screwed the code up for that, they say hey will fix it in the next patch 1.02 at least for Nvidia GF2... so I'm hoping, right now it's a paperweight.

Compared to my all time favorite Tornado FS, this is absolute garbage when it comes to reliability/bugs. Even compared to IL2 it is a lot worse in that respect.

its rather strange atm, some people have loads of problems while some have none at all rock.gif

im somewhere in the middle... I get a gold screen every now and then and the usual cockpit disapearing, other than that all runs ok... but im waiting on 1.02 to see if they fix the issue with FF2 joysticks whereby they dont always respond when you press a button sad_o.gif