Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

yes, i have a nasty habit of getting into a spin at low level and so i cant pull of the spin in time sad_o.gif

Yeah, I was training myself with the SU33, and was trying to land on a carrier. I kept spinning too fast on my turns and getting a maximum angle of attack + minimum speed. Luckily I knew just how to get out of that...

Oh, and I love the MiG and SU27/33 radar system... that point and click targeting system. Sooo good. Though I don't know if it's on the F15c, because I haven't checked yet.

Until I get my PC upgrade (which is soon) I have to have everything at minimum settings. This doesn't really bother me as much as it would some people, because I believe in solid gameplay over flashy graphics. But... that's not that the graphics aren't cool... cause they are. Just the water/terrain is kind of...... er... poo. :P

My only letdown is that there isn't a US carrier based aircraft to use. I think they should of made the F/A-18c or F-14 tomcat flyable. I love either one of those aircraft so much...

Bah, I can barely land on the carrier in the Su-33. I'm used to being able to see what I'm landing on. Don't get me wrong I can fly the ILS just fine, but it'd be a whole lot easier to be able to sit up and look over the dash.

But that's why you got ILS  rock.gif

It is more precise than your vision  wink_o.gif

edit: no offense btw tounge_o.gif

even with the ils it took me a long night to get 2 succesfull landing attempt. I cant believe ppl do it at nit and in stormy weather lol

But that's why you got ILS  rock.gif

It is more precise than your vision  wink_o.gif

edit: no offense btw  tounge_o.gif

None taken wink_o.gif

The only thing I don't like about the ILS is that there's no flare programmed into it so you come down onto the deck at hundreds of feet per minute.  I guess that's realistic when you think about it for carrier landings, but not when you're landing on a runway (sure hope not anyway wow_o.gif)

Another thing is that you have to set up on a real long final to land safely.  I'd much rather just fly a quick pattern and land in a few seconds then spend 5 minutes flying an ILS approach.  Besides, even IRL we look up at a certain height rather than landing by staring at our instruments, we have to be able to see the ground to land.  They even had to be able to bend the nose of the concorde so the pilots could see on takeoff and landing. I've never flown a Su-33 or anything so I don't know whether or not they can see very well, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have some visual reference.

well i dont know about the Russian carrier, but the USN have a set of lights to the left of the arrester wires operated by LSO's which tell the pilot if he is too low/high etc

you can just about see it here

The Ruskies have one too, you can see it just about abeam the touchdown zone on their carriers. My only problem is that I can't see it. wow_o.gif

The lights aren't really operated by anyone. They're just a set of lights with lenses on them so you can only see one light from a certain location. For example it's set up so you can only see a red light when you're low on the glideslope.

It may not have been a wonderful landing, but those spark effects sure look cool! wow_o.gif I think I'll have to try that out.

He he, nice pic drewb99.

Reminds me of what I used to do in F4, not crash landings, but making the landing gear fail on purpose. I used to land at 290 kts, push hard down on the stick, break the nose gear, then if I had enough runway left, push hard left or right and make one of the main gears break, (making sure the wing tip doesn't dig in) , then take off , circle the airfield, declare an emergency,  and land on one wheel at low speed. Hoping that the aircraft holds togeather when I gently let the opposite wing tip drag. tounge_o.gif ............good times, and great fun, especially when carrying a full bombload.

Winter Ground Textures

Looking sweet. biggrin_o.gif

(Even if it doesn't snow in the Crimea. tounge_o.gif )

WOW wow_o.gif

That winter-terrain looks very cool.

Looking forward to a dl-link.

Nice Desert Strike-avatar, Doc.

-I played Desert, Jungle and Urban Strike on Megadrive a couple of weeks ago tounge_o.gif

I'm really enjoying LOMAC now... I made this mission just to test myself against a fighter in combat.

I took off from a conventional runway in an SU27 with R-73s and R-27s. An F/A-18c takes off from a carrier around 80km away, loaded with AIM-9 and AIM-7. He fired an AIM-9 and an AIM-7, both of which missed. We then got into extremely close within visual range battle... and I couldn't get the bogey off my tail, until I remembered the cobra manouver. I performed it, and aquired the target with the helmet system... fired off an R-73... ka-boom.

I've also mastered landing all the aircraft on conventional runways. It's fun. Though I'm still baffled with landing the SU33 on the carriers...

The carriers on LOMAC, Are they stationary or moving?

As a mission-designer you can decide.

Just give the carrier some waypoints..... or not smile_o.gif

Since noone else have posted any more "wallpapers" I'll show two more from the session I had a couple of days ago.

ScreenShot_011.jpg

ScreenShot_012.jpg

I've started retouching that skin (green/gray-cammo w/shark).

I'm not going to show it on this board (that would be breakin §2.5) tounge_o.gif

But will post a download-link when its finnished.

I know. JAP told me a couple of pages earlier. But these two pictures were taken at the same time as the first I posted 3 pages earlier.