Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

The fighters might separate men from boys, but the Hog separates pilots from men  tounge_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif

Mind if I put that in my sig? biggrin_o.gif

Well I went out and bought it. Wal mart and K-mart didn't have it so I had to go all the way to the BX and cash a check to get it, but I got it. biggrin_o.gif

Well I went out and bought it.  Wal mart and K-mart didn't have it so I had to go all the way to the BX and cash a check to get it, but I got it. biggrin_o.gif

I'm not surprised. It seems sold out everywhere, even here in Norway which usually don't sell many sims.

If you are anything remotely resembling your nickname you'll love it biggrin_o.gif

Well, I love it biggrin_o.gif

I installed it, started running it on the standard settings. The FPS were OK but it was very stuttery which would lead to crashes (plane vs. ground crashes, notPC crashes). I turned down the graphics settings a whole lot and now it runs smoother than J-Lo's APU. wink_o.gif

I'm still having some trouble getting through the first A-10 mission though. it either ends with me getting a MiG missile up the tailpipe or, once at least, norton anti-virus popping up in the middle of my game (the end of the mission I should say mad_o.gifcrazy_o.gif) and not letting me maximize the program again. sad_o.gif

I'll give it another go here in a few. i have to say it'd be a lot better with a clickable cockpit, but it's great for what it is.

heh, if you ever get some cover, stay with them... the F15s usually get into a furball long enough for you to sneak past biggrin_o.gif

still hasnt stopped me getting a couple of air to air kills with the trusty sidewinder biggrin_o.gif

I don’t care if I don’t need to push as many buttons as you would have to in real life to select some radar mode though.

Hmm, mayby I'm not stating myself properly.

When I say buttons, I don't mean as in keyboard buttons tounge_o.gif. I hate memerising keyboard functions, I only memerise the important ones, or the one not on my stick! I mean clickable 2/3D cockpit buttons, hence why I'm into the realism factor of falcon, because it offers the ability to interact with the aircraft as a real pilot would. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I think lomac is a great combat flightsim even though you start engines with a press of a key.

The final version probably is a great sim. When I'm lazy, I'll sit in the User Interface, and let the Abominable Idiot fly most of the way to the target area, he's started the engines, taken off, and all I do is sit back, in a command centre like environment, then at the right moment, Take over, bomb the shite outta the place, much more efficiently than the AI. And if I've still got A-A missiles left, and a reasonable amount of fuel, get hold of AWACS, ask for a vector to threat, and go for a good old missile fight, and if the targets happens to be bombers or a chopper or a good old Special Ops An-2. Go to guns and have target practice. If I'm flyin a hog, destroy an entire ground unit, and if I'm in a Phantom, load it up like Jarrod from subway and drop a lot of iron on North Korean factorys and airfields.

If you haven't played falcon yet S_Z, once you think you've mastered LOMAC, get yourself a copy of the upcoming Falcon 4.0 Gold. Or even wait around for Falcon 5.0. It's like flashpoint, except you only fly, on a huge, all-out war scale. You won't be disapointed. wink_o.gif

I'm starting to eye my receipt. Just got another CTD. The game seems fine, but it's so buggy I can't get past the first mission. sad_o.gif

Drat, I was looking forward to this one too.

I'm starting to eye my receipt.  Just got another CTD.  The game seems fine, but it's so buggy I can't get past the first mission. sad_o.gif

Drat, I was looking forward to this one too.

The joys of modern game development eh?

'Bugger it, we'll release it and patch the bugger later if we can be bothered'

And Deus Ex 2..... Let down the of the year for me! What a sell out.

FS, any news round Frugals of SP4? (How stupid does that sound smile_o.gif )

Quote[/b] ]FS, any news round Frugals of SP4? (How stupid does that sound  )

No, not yet.

Although BMS v1.0 is out for use with SP3. And I think FF3 is gonna require BMS v1.0

I got rid of the SP3 installer ages ago, and don't want to have to do a fresh install again. So I'll wait until I see some SP4 news at Frugals or F4UT before I decide anything.

But what sucks the most is that I still don't know if there'll ever be a SP4 released, especially seeing as the F4UT haven't updated their site since October, even though SP4 has been in beta for months.

How stupid does that sound!

Glossary(!) :

BMS v1.0 = Benchmark sims (the only team currently permitted by G2I for .exe edits)

G2I = G2 Interactive. The current official developer of the Falcon series.

SP3/4 = SuperPak by F4UT

F4UT = Falcon 4 Unified Team

FF3= FreeFalcon3

unclesam.gif

2-3 weeks wink_o.gif

2-3 weeks wink_o.gif

Are you for real? I need, no, require, good hard solid evidence in order to keep myself from being let down again. tounge_o.gif

LOL

its a running joke. at frugalsworld people kept asking "when will SP4 come out?" and we kept replying "2-3 weeks"

I just bought this for myself for christmas....

I dont like it.

It reminds me too much of Flanker and while I really really really enjoy flying aircraft for scenery(great Flight Model, Damage Model, and Graphics), the combat portion is:

A) repetitive - very little change if you fly the same mission over  and over (I mean AI tactics etc... not the fact it is the same mission)

B) same damn map (Crimea) since Flanker 1.0 -- I mean...come on. It'd be like OFP2, OFP3, etc.. all being on Everon

C) terrible realism in avionic systems and weapon engagement (except the Su-25 & 33 are done very well)

D) very powerful system requirements... when I get into engaging more than one aircraft, it's impossible to get above 10fps - even on LOW settings on a above required system(1.6ghz + 512mb DDR 333 + 128mb Geforce 4)

There is a whole lot of eye candy and the flight just feels great, but the fun factor is about nil for me.

Whenever I get the urge to try this again to bring myself to like it, I end up getting frustrated and  turning on good old Falcon 4 (SP3).... that is the ultimate in combat flight sims... especially if you download additional cockpits (you can fly ALL aircraft in SP3 - but the cockpits are all F-16 cockpits unless you dl'd some third party ones)

The campaign system is unmatched in ANY other game in ANY genre.

It's just too good... even if the graphics are a little jagged.

Unfortunately, looks like LOMAC might be going to the used game store for this old flight simmer.

Edited: above note about repetitiveness

crashdome

Quote[/b] ]It reminds me too much of Flanker... B) same damn map (Crimea) since Flanker 1.0 -- I mean...come on. It'd be like OFP2, OFP3, etc.. all being on Everon

It's really pretty much flanker 3.0, they're playing off the popularity of 2.0 and 1.0

Quote[/b] ]A) repetitive - very little change if you fly the same mission over and over

Because the missions are scripted. the same things are going to happen over and over again at exactly the same time, like in OFP.

Quote[/b] ]C) terrible realism in avionic systems and weapon engagement (except the Su-25 & 33 are done very well)

D) very powerful system requirements... when I get into engaging more than one aircraft, it's impossible to get above 10fps - even on LOW settings on a above required system(1.6ghz + 512mb DDR 333 + 128mb Geforce 4)

C) I wouldn't know, I've never flown an A-10

D) I agree compeltely, but most games are designed today for tommorows computers.

C) I wouldn't know, I've never flown an A-10

D) I agree compeltely, but most games are designed today for tommorows computers.

RE: C) Just read up on the systems... all I can say is use the one in Falcon 4 for a month(Accurate Settings) and switch to the F-15 in LOMAC. It reminds me of some "radar" screens from F-19 Stealth Fighter from Sid Meier(exaggeration) - a little behind the times. Although most users probably prefer this set-up.. I would actually like the option to increase the accuracy of the radar to more realistic levels.

RE: D) This is true and now that I think about it... I remember F4 being really laggy on a Pentium 400mhz I had when I bought it. Edit: but I can't see this being around as long as F4 has before being replaced by either an updated version(Flanker 4) or Falcon 5.

I don't know what plane you are flying but I have to improvise all the time in the Hog.

If my last Mav misses its target, I'll have to bomb it. If the target is AA, how should I sneak up on it? etc...

When enemy fighters are chasing me they look more like AI than scripted. Sometimes it might seem impossible to hide or run from them, some times its dead easy to get out unharmed. Terrain masking is everything. smile_o.gif

If you haven't played falcon yet S_Z, once you think you've mastered LOMAC, get yourself a copy of the upcoming Falcon 4.0 Gold. Or even wait around for Falcon 5.0. It's like flashpoint, except you only fly, on a huge, all-out war scale. You won't be disapointed.

Yes, I will get Falcon 4 gold for sure. I was planing to buy Falcon 4(standard) and download/install all “add-ons†needed but I think ill wait for the gold version and save myself some trouble smile_o.gif

RE: C) Just read up on the systems... all I can say is use the one in Falcon 4 for a month(Accurate Settings) and switch to the F-15 in LOMAC. It reminds me of some "radar" screens from F-19 Stealth Fighter from Sid Meier(exaggeration) - a little behind the times. Although most users probably prefer this set-up.. I would actually like the option to increase the accuracy of the radar to more realistic levels.

May I ask what’s so terrible wrong with the radar of the F-15C (apart from the BVR bugs that will be fixed in the patch)? I’m certainly no expert of the APG-63 radar so you might very well be right but from what I have read (in forum discussions) it seems that its modeled pretty well.

I don't know what plane you are flying but I have to improvise all the time in the Hog.

If my last Mav misses its target, I'll have to bomb it. If the target is AA, how should I sneak up on it? etc...

When enemy fighters are chasing me they look more like AI than scripted. Sometimes it might seem impossible to hide or run from them, some times its dead easy to get out unharmed. Terrain masking is everything. smile_o.gif

Yeah, I guess scripted missions can come out different a lot. But you know what I mean tounge_o.gif In Falcon 4.0 you always get a different mission.

Anybody up for some MP fun together? I'm dying to try out MP with this game, but I don't know if it will work with my router. sad_o.gif

Anybody up for some MP fun together?  I'm dying to try out MP with this game, but I don't know if it will work with my router. sad_o.gif

Sure smile_o.gif

What country are you in?

But I fly the A-10 only. Nothing else. ;)

hmm yes I would like to get some MP in too, and I also prefer A10...

hope its not a pain in the arse MP system like Falcon was, required a load of port forwarding (client side, not just server side!) which with a router like mine that ignores all rules you set...... meh

It seemed to me Lomac was having a whole lot more CTD's in MP than in SP which is a shame.

I'm in the US and, of course, I only fly the A-10. biggrin_o.gif I'm on vacation so I'm free most of the time.

It seemed to me Lomac was having a whole lot more CTD's in MP than in SP which is a shame.

I noticed this too, untill I disabled the "optimize netcode something". It is supposed to lower the amount of traffic for online play, but the game seemed more stable with it disabled. I only played over LAN though.

Should we set a time and date for some mudfighting coop then?

If everything goes as planned I'll be at a friend who's got 1Mbit upload speed tomorrow some time after 20:00. My OFP dedi-server is at his place. I can install LO-MAC dedi on it.