Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

if there is a tanker around, head to it and then press alt+r to extend the boom and close on the tanker, you will get instructions like "cleared to precontact position" "contact" "disconnect" etc thats pretty much it

"r" alone is for extending the boom

"CTL+r" is for refuling

"ALT+r" is jettison external fuel-tanks

"CTL+r" (hold) dumps fuel when not connected to tanker, while it refills your tank(s) when on a airstrip.

Quote[/b] ]Hehe, my very first landing in Lomac was surprisingly a success, even though I had run out of fuel 40 km away from the airstrip.

40?

You sure you don't mean 4?

or were you flying one of those fast "things"?  tounge_o.gif

Longest I've managed to glide with the A-10 is around 2 km starting from an altitude of 4000 ft.

40 km. I'm a natural, baby wink_o.gif

It was with a Su-27 or -33 and I was heading home with afterburner. 40 km away from the airstrip the engines died. blues.gif

Quote[/b] ]But there is a bug that can stop you from lowering your gear or flaps.

I can almost never use my flaps when landing, gear is ok below 500 km/h.

"r" alone is for extending the boom

"CTL+r" is for refuling

"ALT+r" is jettison external fuel-tanks

"CTL+r" (hold) dumps fuel when not connected to tanker, while it refills your tank(s) when on a airstrip.

Quote[/b] ]if there is a tanker around, head to it and then press alt+r to extend the boom and close on the tanker, you will get instructions like "cleared to precontact position" "contact" "disconnect" etc thats pretty much it

meh, see what happens when you dont play LOMAC for a week... withdrawl symptoms! tounge_o.gif

Hey does edimensionals 3D glasses work with Lock On?I'm going to order me a pair.And just wondering if they'll work.Does it make flying a lot easyier?I'm also going to look into buyin a TrackIR 2 maybe.

meh, see what happens when you dont play LOMAC for a week... withdrawl symptoms! tounge_o.gif

How do you mean not playing LOMAC for a week? I don't understand  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Ineo: You should try doing some mud-work. Then you'll get some surprises when you're going home biggrin_o.gif

In a dogfight you usually are dead or alive, but when you constantly get plinked by small-arms fire, a few pieces here and there on your plane usually "disappears" biggrin_o.gif hehe

like a part of your flaps or airbrakes etc... not a nice surprise when you're going in for landing  wink_o.gif

There was this one time both left flaps and the left airbrakes and my right engine was dead. Not easy to land since you get pushed to the right because of you left engine and you only brake towrds right since you only have flaps and brakes on that side... needless to say, I heard this loud boom when I touchdown as the gear took some pounding and was allmost wrecked.

Ineo: You should try doing some mud-work. Then you'll get some surprises when you're going home biggrin_o.gif

In a dogfight you usually are dead or alive, but when you constantly get plinked by small-arms fire, a few pieces here and there on your plane usually "disappears" biggrin_o.gif hehe

like a part of your flaps or airbrakes etc... not a nice surprise when you're going in for landing  wink_o.gif

There was this one time both left flaps and the left airbrakes and my right engine was dead. Not easy to land since you get pushed to the right because of you left engine and you only brake towrds right since you only have flaps and brakes on that side... needless to say, I heard this loud boom when I touchdown as the gear took some pounding and was allmost wrecked.

lol well it usually happens no matter if I've been shot with a cannon or not. Once I had been in a dogfight against one AI plane (guns only). None of us could get a hit, we just passed each other as usual, over and over. Then suddenly he came from above and my left enginge was on fire, so I headed home with one engine dead and burning, and one engine on afterburner. He followed me and kept doing strafes over me, and I was approaching, only a few km away from my airstrip, when he blew the hell out of me with some extra cannon  sad_o.gif Crashed maybe 2 km away from airstrip.

I love F4 sp3! How does this compare to Falcon 4? Is it worthwhile to get? wink_o.gif

graphically its better and some aspects of gameplay, though i miss the clickable cockpit and the radio chatter from F4, the radar is a pain in the arse so i much prefer the falcon one as i know i can atleast get a lock on the aircraft which ive got my nose up its engine exhaust

hopefully the patch due soon will fix that

I love F4 sp3! How does this compare to Falcon 4? Is it worthwhile to get? wink_o.gif

I have not played Falcon4 SP3 myself(yet!) but I have read thousands of post (or at least it feels like it) were these two sims are being compared. If you play F4 mainly because of all the button clicking then it lomac might not be what you look for since its not very complex in that area of the simulation (one key to start engines for example).

But it does have very good flight models and seem to simulate radar/weapon system pretty well form what I understand (bearing in mind that its not focused one aircraft like F4 but eight different aircraft’s).

It does not have a dynamic campaign like F4 either but that doesn’t bother me too much. I’m having a great time playing the campaigns that comes with the game. If you don’t like them you can always download new campaigns or make your own with the mission editor.

IMHO this is a great combat flight simulator and well worth the money! It's a bit buggy right now but a large patch is on the way so hopefully the most annoying bugs will be fixed soon.

Looks like no one saw my last post. sad_o.gif

Does edimensionals 3D glasses work with Lock On?I'm going to order me a pair.And just wondering if they'll work.Does it make flying a lot easyier?I'm also going to look into buyin a TrackIR 2 maybe.Is the TrackIr 2 worth it?

Thanks. smile_o.gif

Looks like no one saw my last post. sad_o.gif

Does edimensionals 3D glasses work with Lock On?I'm going to order me a pair.And just wondering if they'll work.Does it make flying a lot easyier?I'm also going to look into buyin a TrackIR 2 maybe.Is the TrackIr 2 worth it?

Thanks. smile_o.gif

I have'nt heard of anyon with 3d-glasses playing LO-MAC, but alot of people have only positive feedbackon on TrackIR with LO-MAC (except a centering-bug which is fixed in a soon to be released patch). Alot of people here love the 3d-glasses and trackir with OFP.

So what are you waiting for? Go out and buy  wink_o.gif

I'm going to buy TrackIR2 after newyear (just have to see how much money is left) biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you play F4 mainly because of all the button clicking then it lomac might not be what you look for since its not very complex in that area of the simulation (one key to start engines for example).

I don't know F4SP3, but LO-MAC can have alot of button-pushing too. The devs aimed for both realism and accessibility. You can turn on/off the engines with PGUP/PGDN, but you can also turn them on/off separately (ALT+PGUP=Left on, CTL+PGUP= Right on, F=Toggles flaps up/down(middle), SHF=F flaps=Flaps down(landing), CTL=F=Flaps up etc...

Quote[/b] ]If you play F4 mainly because of all the button clicking then it lomac might not be what you look for since its not very complex in that area of the simulation (one key to start engines for example).

I don't know F4SP3, but LO-MAC can have alot of button-pushing too. The devs aimed for both realism and accessibility. You can turn on/off the engines with PGUP/PGDN, but you can also turn them on/off separately (ALT+PGUP=Left on, CTL+PGUP= Right on, F=Toggles flaps up/down(middle), SHF=F flaps=Flaps down(landing), CTL=F=Flaps up etc...

Yes, but that’s still not even close to how it is in F4 SP3. I have a F4 SP3 ramp start training program (made in flash) and it takes forever just to get the plane up and running.

Yes, but that’s still not even close to how it is in F4 SP3. I have a F4 SP3 ramp start training program (made in flash) and it takes forever just to get the plane up and running.

Yeah but it's great fun to get it up and running, then taxing out with the canopy cracked open.

Yeah but it's great fun to get it up and running, then taxing out with the canopy cracked open.

I agree… Dont get me wrong, I think lomac is a great sim and I personally don’t care if you can start the engines with only one key but he (chill) wanted a comparison between the two simulators and I just wanted to say that lomac is not as complex as F4 in the “button clicking areaâ€.

If you want to spend 15 minutes going through a checklist do it for

real, it's then important. But in a flight sim it's about flying with friends over a LAN against killer AI. I remember 11 hour apache vs havoc sessions and having a go on the old jane's series, that is what flight sims mean to me, the teamwork and coordination.

Not pushing buttons.

If you want to spend 15 minutes going through a checklist do it for

real, it's then important. But in a flight sim it's about flying with friends over a LAN against killer AI. I remember 11 hour apache vs havoc sessions and having a go on the old jane's series, that is what flight sims mean to me, the teamwork and coordination.

Not pushing buttons.

Flight Sims mean something different to everyone.

For me, it's the simulation factor that plays the most important factor, for others, it's something different altogeather.

Let's face it, in military air combat today it is more about avionics and computer hardware/programming than the actual skill of the pilot. That's what defines todays aircraft from aircraft of a bygone era, that technology has advanced and with that, things have become more complicated.

Compare a spitfire to any modern fighter. The spitfire has three major system, it's engine, it's guns and it's control surfaces. In a WWII era fighter game, pressing one button to start the engine and a few switches to set fuel settings was bascally all there was to do. It was then up to the pilots skill, using his guns and flaps as too how many planes he can shoot down in said fuel and ammo, and avoid being shot down. Fun, simple, and realistic at the same time. A true simulation of WWII aircombat.

But applying WWII simplicity to modern aircraft doesn't produce realistic simulation, does it. A modern pilot communicates with his aircraft much differently than they did in bygone eras. The modern fighter must be complicated machine in order to survive the complex threats that are there to shoot it down. And the pilot has since become more of a network administrator, getting the many systems that make up his machine to work harmoneously togeather, to maximise his chance of surviving. He must push buttons. You take that away, and it's no longer a simulation. But a representation.

This might not be attractive to some, that's why the makers of Falcon had realism settings, to cater for different peoples needs, as well as other smart little options that can be used to 'shortcut' the realism factor.

About the fifteen minute checklist, I've got that fifteen minute checklist down to about two minutes. And about the LAN's, you think half a day was fun, we used to frequently have online campaigns that went continuously for days, even weeks. The server would run the campaign in real-time, and people could join and leave the campaign as they please, completing co-operative missions as they feel, choosing whichever side they wanted, the possibilities were literally endless.

So before you think pushing buttons is boring, or unnecessary, remember this, I'm pushing buttons and fighting at the same time. I'm in an immersive simulaton environment where my interaction with the aircraft is vital for the survival of the aircraft, and where my involvement in a campaign is vital for who wins, and who loses a total war. I can step down to and from any flight sim with no worries, and instantly get the feel. I feel I have mastered the most involving Air Combat simulation ever produced, on the most realistic settings ever offered in a sim. That is a very satisfying feeling. As the only step above Falcon 4.0 SP3, is literally, doing it for real. A goal that most flight simmers have, yet can only dream about.

Well it depends FSPilot (does the FS stand for Flight Sim?)

What else have you got or had on your hard drive, did you like them, and where they exciting to you?

So should I take the plunge and buy this relatively cheap game?

and you call yourself a pilot! jk. go get it now!

ozanzac

Quote[/b] ]Well it depends FSPilot (does the FS stand for Flight Sim?)

What else have you got or had on your hard drive, did you like them, and where they exciting to you?

Yep, Flight Sim Pilot biggrin_o.gif

I've got every copy of MSFS since 98, CFS and CFS2, Falcon 4.0, B17 II, ATC simulator, and of course the LOMAC demo.

ale2999

Quote[/b] ]
So should I take the plunge and buy this relatively cheap game?

and you call yourself a pilot! jk. go get it now!

Almost instrument rated too unclesam.gif

My main problem is that I'm in a dorm with no PC, but I could lend it to my friends and play with them on a LAN or something. plus i could play it at home too.

Yesterday night I managed to land on a carrier in Lomac on my second try ever, while my grandpa, 85, was watching smile_o.gif

http://hem.bredband.net/b102693/lomacftp/031225-Carrier-Landing-1.jpg

I did that too a couple of days ago ...during night... with the A-10!!! biggrin_o.gif

Forgot to take pictures though sad_o.gif

I figured only way to be able to stop on the deck is to come in so slow that you stall the moment you are over the deck biggrin_o.gif

I slammed down on the deck doing just under 100 knots. Minimum speed for the A-10 is 115 knots tounge_o.gif

Allmost fell overboard. Stopped at the edge on the other side. So close that it was impossible to turn the plane without falling over biggrin_o.gif

But applying WWII simplicity to modern aircraft doesn't produce realistic simulation, does it. A modern pilot communicates with his aircraft much differently than they did in bygone eras. The modern fighter must be complicated machine in order to survive the complex threats that are there to shoot it down. And the pilot has since become more of a network administrator, getting the many systems that make up his machine to work harmoneously togeather, to maximise his chance of surviving. He must push buttons. You take that away, and it's no longer a simulation. But a representation.

I don’t agree with you there (as you said it means something different to everyone smile_o.gif ). What I feel is important in a combat flightsim (apart from FM) is that weapon/radar systems are modeled well. I don’t care if I don’t need to push as many buttons as you would have to in real life to select some radar mode though. I think lomac is a great combat flightsim even though you start engines with a press of a key.

For me the most important aspect is the flight-modell and avionics. The radar- and weapons-system second.

I prefer flying and completing my mission over button-pushing.

If I want to push buttons I can always start notepad biggrin_o.gif

Why I love the A-10 so much in LO-MAC: not too many buttons (no radar etc), everything is done manually.

The fighters might separate men from boys, but the Hog separates pilots from men tounge_o.gif