Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

Anyone else noticed how unstable Lomac is?

I've had a few crashes to desktop, and several times the screen go light-blue and I have to alt-tab and shut the game down through ctrl-alt-del processes menu...

I agree. I have to shut down LO:MAC through alt-tab and ctrl+alt+del, because if I click exit in the game's main menu, it crashes my whole system.

I feel like they hurried this one a little bit too much for the Christmas market ...

Bring on the patches! smile_o.gif

u8 say hurried and yet this game ahs been in developent for over 2 years now.. so u could give them some slack theyve worked really hard on this game and i for one and pleased they have relewased it.. also alot of beta testing has been done for ths game and if they were bad they wouldnt of released it.. its just for some computers that therer pushuing it to the limit i donty have no probs with the gae and i have the settings all on high so the problem is down ure end not theres

think about it

Got alot of CDT's too, but mainly due to alt tabbing.

I like it alot ( not the CDT's but the game wink_o.gif )

GCS0256.jpg

Mmmmmh, F-16 just above a thunderstorm ....

Getting to know the mission editor just now, it s basic but it ll do, making first mission now. smile_o.gif

Cheers

(And never fly around with your radar activated continuoulsy. Thats asking for trouble. Use it to 'sniff', but turning it on for a few seconds, and then shutting it down. If you do this properly, its rather hard for the enemy to hunt you down.

And if there's no AWACS support, strongly consider taking the day off  smile_o.gif

edit: English is hard

Anyone else noticed how unstable Lomac is?

I've had a few crashes to desktop, and several times the screen go light-blue and I have to alt-tab and shut the game down through ctrl-alt-del processes menu...

Mine's been rather good, and I can alt-tab at will with no probs.  I get a lot of situations that seem like a crash (especially if I compress time too much) and LOMAC says its not responding in the task manager.  If I hit Shift-a to restore normal time flow a few times, eventually everything comes back.  By that time however, I have been shot down or made like an expensive lawn dart, and most of the aircraft have completed their respective missions.  sad_o.gif   I have also had 2xAA and 4xAF on with no problems, minus heat blurr effects.  There is a trick to upping your frames with heat blur enabled by alt-tabbing out to the dektop and back, it works for me but not well enough to have HB on unless its just me and my buddy going h2h.

Nice game overall, but I hope there are follow on releases that enable more flyable aircraft like the Canadian f-18. It's my favorite, eh.  smile_o.gif

Hi people; I just thought I'd post a link to my mod here since I'm sure there'll be someone here who doesn't browse the Lock On forums

It's an overcast performance booster; see my thread here:

http://forums.ubi.com/message....d=zrqhd

Hope this relieves someone of some frustration about the overcast in the near future smile_o.gif

P.S. I am BoboCop if you're confused  tounge_o.gif

Hi Homer smile_o.gif

I just checked out your post in that forum, but I gotta admit that I can't really see any difference between the default overcast, and your mod... What does it do?

Hi Homer smile_o.gif

I just checked out your post in that forum, but I gotta admit that I can't really see any difference between the default overcast, and your mod... What does it do?

As I recall, the default overcast texture is obscenely large, something like 512x512- what Homer has done is to shrink those textures to increase framerates for people in missions involving cloudcover. As you so astutely noted, there is little to no decrease in visual quality, and that fact coupled with a 10 FPS increase means that this is a definite must-have mod.

Good job Homer, but I think Shepski posted a facsimile of this mod a few days ago, and that's how I got so edumacated on this here topic biggrin_o.gif

Hi people; I just thought I'd post a link to my mod here since I'm sure there'll be someone here who doesn't browse the Lock On forums

It's an overcast performance booster; see my thread here:

http://forums.ubi.com/message....d=zrqhd

Hope this relieves someone of some frustration about the overcast in the near future smile_o.gif

P.S. I am BoboCop if you're confused  tounge_o.gif

none of your images or links work for me sad_o.gif

any mirrors for it?

edit: nevermind, found one

No, don't nevermind, they don't work for me either sad_o.gif

I suppose Low and Medium stands for graphics? How do you know which one to choose?

mirror for them here

in the section titled "Latest releases" smile_o.gif

shame when i put clouds on (original and modifed) my LOMAC freaks out and the screen flashes sad_o.gif

edit:

when formation aerobatics go wrong:

oops crazy_o.gif

edit2: oops posted wrong ss, fixed now

Anyone played the campaigns yet?

Is the A-10 good enough to "specialize" in?

Considering the amount of buttons I think I'll have enough to learn by sticking with one aircraft. To me the F-15 MFD is a little too much, saw the BVR-tutorial and I find it a little too much (alot of unknown to me acronyms).

I have'nt played the game much. Started writing a program for the cat (Cougar) two days ago. Hopefully I'll start testing it today.

Wierd, I just replied but it didn't actually post my reply!

anyway I'll try again...

- Pics in my thread are broken because my ISP webspace is being wack... currently working on this prob

- D/L links are changed to reflect www.lockonmodernaircombat.com and www.biohazcentral.com DL locations

- AcidCrash, have you tried running Lock On in high priority mode? It's a weak stab, but someone else told me his game flashed with overcast until he ran it in high priority mode. Others say running it in high priority can force you to reboot, lol... might be worth trying at least.

- iNeo, I merely included two packs with different upper-overcast resolutions... the Medium version looks a little better than the Low version, but costs an extra couple FPS.

- Tex, thanks for the support... be aware that if you're using a few-days old version then it may be my first release, not my second one (version 2), which should give a significant further improvement over my first release; especially under the clouds. But it may not be as 'polished' feeling as my first release. I personally use it, and with my settings, have yet to drop beneath 20-25 FPS when flying under the clouds (including when I stare up at them) smile_o.gif

Thanks.

[EDIT] DOH! there's a nuisance bug in this version; the clouds don't get dark at night lol... I'll fix it sometime in the next week

Anyone played the campaigns yet?

Is the A-10 good enough to "specialize" in?

Considering the amount of buttons I think I'll have enough to learn by sticking with one aircraft. To me the F-15 MFD is a little too much, saw the BVR-tutorial and I find it a little too much (alot of unknown to me acronyms).

I have'nt played the game much. Started writing a program for the cat (Cougar) two days ago. Hopefully I'll start testing it today.

Hey Shadow.

If you want a good read about the A10 and it s targetting this is a good article.

Reading it now, and after reading trough it halfway i m gonna start with the A10 campaign smile_o.gif

A10 article about targetting Missles, rockets, gun

Cheers

Hey Shadow.

If you want a good read about the A10 and it s targetting this is a good article.

Reading it now, and after reading trough it halfway i m gonna start with the A10 campaign  smile_o.gif

A10 article about targetting Missles, rockets, gun

Cheers

Thanks, Jap.

I'm going to read it as soon as I get home from work.

I took a quick glance at it and it seems to explain in detail how the pipper and the guidance-systems works. Just what I was after.

Thanks.

I've read the article and I feel I'm beginning to understand how the EOS (locking targets manually) and the rest of the weapons systems works. I even got the slew-control to be allmost completely analogue with the microstick woohoo biggrin_o.gif The only button I'm missing is the one that toggles 3x and 6x zoom on the A-10 MFD.

In the manual it say "-" and "+" toggles the two zoom-levels but they don't do anything when I press them.

Any ideas?

I use the deafault-layout for all keyboard-buttons (and map them to the Cougar).

OMG !

The A-10 is much more fun then i thought !

Just made a quick mission of some incoming tanks and some battles and was a very nice experience.

Reading that article really helped !

Kills

With mavs : Ural, tunguska, 5 T-80s

With MK-82 : 1 T80 direct hit from 1st run

With canon : 1 T80 got m on first run, man that was a sweet kill. He was driving on a road, went in for the kill, shot about 2 salvos at him, as i went over him i switched to flyby view, saw black smoke of the canon shells hitting the ground, thought ok, that was nothing lets do that again, suddenly 2 seconds later it exploded ..... smile_o.gif

Mission lasted about 45 mins, landed once to rearm, and landed safe at base at the end.

I just love it ..... smile_o.gif

Rearming and refueling ...

Canon strafing run ...

Proof of my MK-82 and canon kills .... ok, ok, let me be proud ... hehe

Cheers

In the manual it say "-" and "+" toggles the two zoom-levels but they don't do anything when I press them.

Any ideas?

I use the deafault-layout for all keyboard-buttons (and map them to the Cougar).

Just in case you didn't know -- the + and - buttons are the two closest buttons to the left of backspace in English keyboard layout.

Any ideas?

Just in case you didn't know -- the + and - buttons are the two closest buttons to the left of backspace in English keyboard layout.

aaah ofcourse.....

I have a norwegian keyboard. duh

thanks , mate smile_o.gif

I can't thank you enough, JAP smile_o.gif

That article did the trick. Going to start practicing tomorrow after work.

Anyone know how you place a playable aircraft in the editor?

Could be fun to try and make a coop-mission.

Shadow,

I had a quick look and the keys you want are in the input section under combat

MFD zoom in

MFD zoom out

I mapped the MFD left,right,up,down to the arrow keys and the zoom in on SHIFT + arrow up and zoom out on SHIFT + arrow down, works like a dream. Only IR version of the Mav can zoom in though, but that s in the article also so i guess you know that.

Gonna go fly again smile_o.gif

Cheers

Only IR version of the Mav can zoom in though, but that s in the article also so i guess you know that.

eeeeh you don't suppose the instant-action only equips you with optically guided mavericks?  tounge_o.gif

I hope so...cus I still can't get the zoom to work  sad_o.gif

The screen I see is very clear, no stripes or noise in the picture. Is'nt the IR-image a little noisy if I remember correctly.

Now, I must admit there are few bits here and there that I don't remember from all that info in that article  tounge_o.gif I'm getting old...  wow_o.gif

Yup, I had the AGM-65K selected (optically guided). DOH wow_o.gif

Works like a dream now.

I only have one question for now. Is it normal to manually find and lock targets or can the onboard computer find and lock and let me fine-tune it (or is that unreallistic?) ?

Only IR version of the Mav can zoom in though, but that s in the article also so i guess you know that.

eeeeh you don't suppose the instant-action only equips you with optically guided mavericks?  tounge_o.gif

I hope so...cus I still can't get the zoom to work  sad_o.gif

The screen I see is very clear, no stripes or noise in the picture. Is'nt the IR-image a little noisy if I remember correctly.

Now, I must admit there are few bits here and there that I don't remember from all that info in that article  tounge_o.gif I'm getting old...  wow_o.gif

IR is a little more blackish, IO screen is more greenish

Just go into the editor and quickly put some tanks on it and equip an A10 with both mavs and test a bit, it s worth it.

Give me TADS, FCR, LOBL/LOAL, RWR with Hellfires, Hydras and and M-230 and I'll know what I'm talking about. biggrin_o.gif

Word on the first patch from Matt Wagner:

Quote[/b] ]Hello folks,

Today we got the first beta version of the patch, and for the most part, things are looking good. Work continues, but I wanted to drop you a quick note regarding some of the things that have been addressed. Please keep in mind that this list is not final and will not be a first and last patch. As to when it will be released… as soon as we possibly can.

1- Track to AVI video tool fixed.

2- SA-10 (S-300PS) fixed

3- Hide list remains hidden in classified mission now

4- Players can change their payload in classified single and campaign missions

5- External fuel tanks now have weight and effect balance

6- A-10 and Su-25 low speed AoA > 30 (such as a tail slide) has been corrected

7- Aircraft switching (ability to change from player to AI aircraft during mission has been corrected.

8- Meto visibility selector has been fixed

9- Re-attack range for bombs has been reduced.

10- Gun and rocket attack pop-up has been reduced to 500m

11- A-10 horizon line on HUD is correct now when in bank

12- Look down reduction on F-15 radar has been reduced

13- TVV has been removed from A-10 HUD when it is within the gun/rocket reticule

14- Bank and steering indicator has been removed from F-15 HUD when in non-NAV mode

15- Padlock is now functional over entire in-cockpit FOV

16- Radar scan footprint is now visible on HDD when A-15 is in mission

17- Rudder inputs have been adjusted

18- S-3 now has folding wings and tail

19- Max G for Su-27, Su-33, and MiG-29 increased to 9

20- Payload screen how has correct seeker type for AGM-65D and K

21- Rmax for AIM-120 increased from 32 to 45 km

22- Adjusted campaigns for better frame rates

23- Radar performance when operating at low altitudes has been greatly increased

24- AI will no take multiple missile shots at enemy (much more aggressive)

25- TrackIR centering problem fixed

26- A-10 low fuel indicators fixed

27- Visible distance of Goal targets greatly increased

28- RCS values of some aircraft adjusted

29- MiG-29 now has 150 rounds

30- Campaign save function adjusted

31- Fixed record/playback for tracks with voice overs

32- Our initial tests on Windows 98 look very promising

Again, these are just some the fixes; will be more.

Thank you for you patience,

Matt

Tell me one thing, is this game of any interest to a non-simmer like myself? Does it have a good campaign/story line?