Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

I have the mission, and I can move the seeker head, and lock it on, but I can't see a picture in the MFD, I'm locking it from the HUD, which isn't as accurate and leads to misses.  I've tried O, I, and Shift-I and none of them will get a picture to show in the MFD.

Hittin Shift-I should change the screen at the top right from showing targets, to a TV screen.(Oh, and in difficulty settings, put it to easy radar)

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well.  This:

mfd_lomac.jpg

is what I get. rock.gif

edit:no the lines aren't dashes, it just looks that way since I changed the resolution of the pic

I've just had my first taste of LOMAC through the Demo. I was impressed by the visual quality, but being an F4 SP3/Free Falcon 2 nut, was disapointed by the avionics and to a lesser extent, the flight models.

For those of yas thinking 'huh, he can press all the buttons and gizmos he likes to shoot an aircraft down', I like it like that. Shooting a missile isn't just point and shoot. Its the realism that matters to me, and if that means, having to uncage a sidewinder, having my radar lock jammed from ECM when shooting a sparrow or changing the MFD to engage an SA-13 with Mavericks, then so be it.

Why do we play OFP and not BF1942:Desert Combat or the other Vietnam mod of it:  I think it's self explanitory.

I'm not writing the game off at the moment, as I beleive it has alot of potential, and I'll probably still get the full version when its released, but F4 will always be the Modern Air Combat Sim to beat. Its Campaign engine alone is miraculous and hard to beat, a marvelous peice of software engineering, giving the freedom and realism that very few can succeedingly emulate.

Who knows, maybe a mod team to the likes of F4UT will transform the LOMAC to give the realism that such eye candy deserves. Only time will tell.

------------------------------------------------------------

A little off topic, but not much.

For F4 Fans,

Free Falcon 2 was recently released. Get it at FreeFalcon This should help soften the wait for SP4  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

And, G2I's F4 development seems to be getting closer to reality. Falcon 4: Operation Infinitive Resolve has a website Falcon 4 Gold

I've just had my first taste of LOMAC through the Demo. I was impressed by the visual quality, but being an F4 SP3/Free Falcon 2 nut, was disapointed by the avionics and to a lesser extent, the flight models.

For those of yas thinking 'huh, he can press all the buttons and gizmos he likes to shoot an aircraft down', I like it like that. Shooting a missile isn't just point and shoot. Its the realism that matters to me, and if that means, having to uncage a sidewinder, having my radar lock jammed from ECM when shooting a sparrow or changing the MFD to engage an SA-13 with Mavericks, then so be it.

Why do we play OFP and not BF1942:Desert Combat or the other Vietnam mod of it:  I think it's self explanitory.

I'm not writing the game off at the moment, as I beleive it has alot of potential, and I'll probably still get the full version when its released, but F4 will always be the Modern Air Combat Sim to beat. Its Campaign engine alone is miraculous and hard to beat, a marvelous peice of software engineering, giving the freedom and realism that very few can succeedingly emulate.

Who knows, maybe a mod team to the likes of F4UT will transform the LOMAC to give the realism that such eye candy deserves. Only time will tell.

------------------------------------------------------------

A little off topic, but not much.

For F4 Fans,

Free Falcon 2 was recently released. Get it at FreeFalcon This should help soften the wait for SP4  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

And, G2I's F4 development seems to be getting closer to reality. Falcon 4: Operation Infinitive Resolve has a website Falcon 4 Gold

I turust you haven't seen the annoucement from the G2i fuhrer.

Quote[/b] ]At this time Claude demands:

1) all work on SP4 is to stop.

2) none of the work on SP4 is to be released to the public

3) all of the data edits made for SP4 are to be handed over to G2i interactive within 5 days.

4) all work on the ViperOps exe or any derivative thereof is to stop

5) none of the work of VO or any derivative is to be released to the public

6) all of the exe changes in VO or any derivative are to be handed over to G2i within 5 days.

7) failure to comply with items 1-6 will result in legal prosecution under

the criminal conspiracy laws and the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act. (UCTIA)

9) note that if the data edits for SP4 and the exe changes for VO are destroyed or intentionally damaged, then prosecution will definitely occur

10) compliance with items 1-6 will result in termination of any legal actions currently in discussion.

11) complete compliance with items 1-6 will result in the free G2i release of SP4 to the public for public use (both SP4 and VO and its derivative work must all be handed over for this to happen).

Nice. Robbing the customer at gunpoint, to hand back his goods at a price. OIR is made up of loads of SP3 data edits, and know he announces this now. He's had all bloody year!

His pretence is flimsy at best, (only 2 US states recognise that law), and that won't work it Europe anyway. In Europe, you actually buy the software code, whilst in the US you lease it. Buying it, means you can edit to your hearts content, as long as you don't sell it for a profit.

Here's the at Frugals.

by your logic, indeed why DO you play OFP?

you don't have to clean your gun, unjam it, select safety modes... not very realistic, is it? geeze sad_o.gif I don't want to come across as a smartass here, but... sometimes the tiny things aren't what makes a game realistic or not, you know?

I don't know why some people think Lock on is a "hit lock, fire, win" game... that's kinda ignorant... also, I don't know what's so evil about the flight models compared to F4, lol... remember that these planes don't have fly-by-wire, so if you aren't skilled enough to keep it out of bad states, then ye better git yerself learned up! it's actually part of a realistic challenge, to be proficient at pushing your airplane to its limits yet no further.

Remember guys, you're trying to compare a Russian designed MiG-29 to an American F-16! It's like complaining pine trees aren't the same as hardwood trees crazy_o.gif

by your logic, indeed why DO you play OFP?

you don't have to clean your gun, unjam it, select safety modes... not very realistic, is it? geeze  sad_o.gif  I don't want to come across as a smartass here, but... sometimes the tiny things aren't what makes a game realistic or not, you know?

I don't know why some people think Lock on is a "hit lock, fire, win" game... that's kinda ignorant... also, I don't know what's so evil about the flight models compared to F4, lol... remember that these planes don't have fly-by-wire, so if you aren't skilled enough to keep it out of bad states, then ye better git yerself learned up! it's actually part of a realistic challenge, to be proficient at pushing your airplane to its limits yet no further.

Remember guys, you're trying to compare a Russian designed MiG-29 to an American F-16! It's like complaining pine trees aren't the same as hardwood trees crazy_o.gif

Because its the most realistic, unrestricted battlefield sim out there. Can you name a more realistic sim thats available to a non governmental user. I don't think you can.

You have no idea how peeved off I am at the moment. What your questioning is my integrity. I'll let it go, but to know what it is about OFP thats hooked me, just look at the thread about 'What keeps you playing ofp all these years'. Everything within it.

Name a freekin game that you can sit on a computer thats 100% realistic. No game can possibly be 100% realistic. But OFP is as close as it gets for battlefield simulations.

Quote[/b] ]by your logic, indeed why DO you play OFP?

Using your logic, your stating that theres something else out there thats more realistic than OFP. Can you name it? If you can, point me to it. If you can't, why question my logic. What do you want me to do, become a terrorist and really kill people, fly military planes, choppers, drive tanks and conquer Islands. Thats a really stupid question, and for that, I hope you edit your above post. Cause youve bordered on flamebating mate.

By using your logic, you are suggesting that I would only play games that are a 100% portayal of real life. OFP'S A GAME, IT'S NOT AND NO GAME IS 100% REAL. Question your own logic before you question mine.

Question my integrity again and I'll go ape shit, don't take that lightly.

This post, I may add, was very, very, VERY restrained on my behalf. And I'm actually very enraged.

I turust you haven't seen the annoucement from the G2i fuhrer.
Quote[/b] ]At this time Claude demands:

1) all work on SP4 is to stop.

2) none of the work on SP4 is to be released to the public

3) all of the data edits made for SP4 are to be handed over to G2i interactive within 5 days.

4) all work on the ViperOps exe or any derivative thereof is to stop

5) none of the work of VO or any derivative is to be released to the public

6) all of the exe changes in VO or any derivative are to be handed over to G2i within 5 days.

7) failure to comply with items 1-6 will result in legal prosecution under

the criminal conspiracy laws and the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act. (UCTIA)

9) note that if the data edits for SP4 and the exe changes for VO are destroyed or intentionally damaged, then prosecution will definitely occur

10) compliance with items 1-6 will result in termination of any legal actions currently in discussion.

11) complete compliance with items 1-6 will result in the free G2i release of SP4 to the public for public use (both SP4 and VO and its derivative work must all be handed over for this to happen).

Nice. Robbing the customer at gunpoint, to hand back his goods at a price. OIR is made up of loads of SP3 data edits, and know he announces this now. He's had all bloody year!

His pretence is flimsy at best, (only 2 US states recognise that law), and that won't work it Europe anyway. In Europe, you actually buy the software code, whilst in the US you lease it. Buying it, means you can edit to your hearts content, as long as you don't sell it for a profit.

Here's the  at Frugals.

Falconeers, read this later thread, straight from the Claudes mouth here

Its a community Q and A for Claude, the first time he's popped his head out ever.

Claude is Shadow 817 in the thread, *edit, proof Claude is who he is

Quote[/b] ] shadow817 Posted: Oct 2 2003, 08:12 PM  

Second Lieutenant

Group: Registered

Member No.: 1289

Let me introduce myself.

I am shadow817

Claude E. Cavanaugh

President of G2 Interactive, Inc.

Executive Producer of Falcon Gold:Operation Infinite Resolve

*end edit*

and the most important part is

Quote[/b] ]shadow817 Posted: Oct 3 2003, 10:52 PM  

Tazz asks:

Q: Does this mean that F4UT can go ahead with SP4 in it's current form: only data edits and eye-candy?

A: It certainly does.

Read the entire thread if your interested about the future of the Falcon Series. It answers alot of Questions.

Question my integrity again and I'll go ape shit, don't take that lightly.

No you won't. If you can't post calmly and rationally then take some time away from the forums, if you can't decide to do that for yourself then if the situation warrants it we will make that decision for you.

One post deleted a various posts edited for breaching......

Quote[/b] ]§6)Do not start threads relating to discussions on other boards

What happens in this forum should stay in this forum and and vice versa, conversations other than those strictly relating to OFP matters should not be brought into these forums from others.

Please don't let it happen again. This thread has had a good life, would be a shame if that had to end because board rules aren't being followed.

Well I tried the LOMAC demo, finally came home for a weekend so I can have some PC time. I love it. It's a little buggy, but it's still great. Lots of a learning curve for a demo though, but I guess that's to be expected with a flight sim.

PS - Boycott G2I!

[seething]Does anyone, uh, have a email address for g2i?[/seething]

PS - Boycott G2I!

here here!

FSpilot for president...uh actually i better not resurect that biggrin_o.gif

but seriously, what do they hope to gain by doing that?

Yeah I'd make a great president unclesam.gifcrazy_o.gif

I think G2I is either trying to kill the competition or make them do all the work. Either way I won't be buying any G2I product because of this.

But I think we should get back on the LOMAC subject before this thread gets closed.

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well.  This:

[mg]http://www.xplanefreeware.net/imemyself/Games/OFP/mfd_lomac.jpg[/img]

is what I get. rock.gif

edit:no the lines aren't dashes, it just looks that way since I changed the resolution of the pic

Graphics card issue?I dunno how thats happenin. rock.gif

That is one of the reasons why Mavericks were not in the demo (without hacks that is)…they were simply not working correctly in beta5 which the demo is based on.

What settings/video card are you using?

meh i get a weird red screen that i cant make anything out so just point, target and pray crazy_o.gif

still, as long as you get the recticle pretty much over the target and press lock you should get it. anyone tried a furball with the Mig29 vs A10 yet? biggrin_o.gif (theres one that has 8 mig 29s, vs 4 A10s and 4 Mirage 2000, lags but is pretty cool)

sorry to have discovered you have a shortish fuse the hard way Ozanzac, but this was the point I was trying to make...

Quote[/b] ]sometimes the tiny things aren't what makes a game realistic or not, you know?

I didn't try to imply that there was a more realistic FPS than OFP, (that would be another debate.. and probably a silly one at that) I was more interested in the displeasure over Lock On using simplified avionics, say to lock a target with BVR radar, hit 2 for BVR, i for radar on, slew the TD box, press tab to switch the contact to TWS, tab again to lock (if in range), fire when all parameters are met and Naggin' Nadia gives Authorization... The tiny things like missile uncaging aren't, IMO, what determines realistic from arcadish. However, I guess every person does have their preferences. You can request the correct avionics button press procedures, I'll request nice modelling of physics and theory so I can apply any real-world tactics/maneuver in the sim and get similar results...  To have both would be nice, but what you said is true; no computer game will be fully realistic. True to that statement, Lock on's realistic flight model is still incapable of performing the Kobra maneuver naturally (it is a scripted maneuver... works, just doesn't feel as natural as normal flight)

Oh well...

sorry to have discovered you have a shortish fuse the hard way Ozanzac,

Hey, don't worry about it, I've cooled down now. It's been a hard week to say the least.

If

Quote[/b] ] sometimes the tiny things aren't what makes a game realistic or not, you know?

was the question you were posing, then I totally agree with you. And I agree that everyone has their preferences, mine just happens to have realism as a dominating factor. In essence, OFP is the most arcadish game I play, which kind of tells you something about my game preferences wink_o.gif . It's not that I beleive LOMAC is Arcadish, far from it. If I wanted an arcadish Flight Sim, I'd be playing one of the original Ace Combat games. It's just that F4 offers more of the 'Tiny' things than LOMAC, but as I said in one of my previous posts, mayby someone will modify LOMAC to give it that 'Super Realism' I'd be looking for.

When you say

Quote[/b] ]I'll request nice modelling of physics and theory so I can apply any real-world tactics/maneuver in the sim and get similar results
, I totally agree with you. To me, the physics of a game is equally important as the little things such as correct avionics when it comes to simulating realism. To have a B-52 have the same turning radius as a F-16 would be unrealistic, wouldn't it !? The combination of both just happens to be there in the F4 Super Pak Series, which is why it has my preferance over LOMAC, at least for now, seeing as the demo is BETA 5, who knows what they could add.

Quote[/b] ] ( READ ATTACHED PRESS RELEASE ) Lock On: Modern Air Combat has gone gold according to game publisher Ubisoft. Developed by Eagle Dynamics, the game gives players the chance to fly eight different combat jets in twenty different missions over the Black Sea area. Also, gamers will be able to experience ten multiplayer missions in either head-to-head or cooperative game play. Lock On: Modern Air Combat is scheduled to be released November 18 for the PC and is rated “E†for everyone.