Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

War against terror

There was a bombing in India about 1 year ago. Probley the same grop that did it before

It's funny, a bomb in London gets the news attention for about the whole day it happened, and lots of attention the next few days. A bomb in India is more like a sidenote, not that important since it's "just" India...

It made the news all day here in the UK...

I'm sure in the US, the london bombings were reported for a day, then as quickly forgotten about... if its not in your own country, its not as interesting as a news item (unless something on the scale of 9/11)

Well, I guess english and US news got more focus on this than the norwegian news, because they know how it is to be victims of terror attacks, and I know that it's not as "hot" news as when your own country is the victim, it's natural. The disturbing thing is that here in Norway, one of the biggest newspaper had 1, maybe 2, articles about the bombing on their netpage, and they had about as much focus on the Indian bombing as they had on a glamour-model who's silicon implants bursted because a football hit them...after 9/11 we had a minute silence on school, the attack was all over the news for days...when London was hit, it was all over the news the day it happened, and quite some focus on it the next days...each other terrorist attack, which haven't been in a western country, have gotten a article from the big newspaper, quite some time in the news, but not any extra news sendings on telly etc. I just get the feeling that the norwegian news doesn't care about other than the ones they're asslicking (which would mainly be USA and UK) confused_o.gif

It made the news all day here in the UK...

I'm sure in the US, the london bombings were reported for a day, then as quickly forgotten about... if its not in your own country, its not as interesting as a news item (unless something on the scale of 9/11)

Not necessarly, the London and Madrid bombings made the news of the french media during a lot of days and beyond.

The bombing in India is not treated the same way though , while being the same kind of terrorist attack :/

I guess the "world cup" taking all the media attention is one of the explanation of this.

Most of our french tv news were 90% talking of football during the whole duration of the WC, while most of the other , really important news, got few lines.

And the worst is that none of those so-called journalists felt a shame about their own ethics in this situation.

All they have done during the WC is contributing in making all the masses to sleep with "yeah football yeah !" instead of reporting real news with the importance they needed to be treated.

different countries will have different reactions I guess... with the UK, a large percentage of the population has roots in the former british colonies, so such an event in India affects a larger percentage of our population than other countries.

News here in Norway is a good example to how the India bombing is being treated like it's not as serious as the London/Madrid bombings, since they've got less focus on the WC now, since it's over and there's nothing to report about the norwegian team...I've got to admit that I haven't watched the news on the telly that much, but, even though I haven't watched the telly much lately, I have noticed the lack of focus on this. If this attack was in London or any other big western town, I would have seen quite some extra news-sendings on the telly.

true... plus, unfortunatly, it seems such events aren't too uncommon in such countries... the more it happens, the less interesting it is for news corporations. Take Irq for example... a suicide bomb there only gets a passing mention now a days...

Well, 8 Israeli soldiers killed and 2 kidnapped. So now we have 3 kidnapped Israelis. First a Humvee is attacked, two Israeli soldiers are killed and two kidnapped. Next, a tank is destroyed by an IED as far(as I understand), killing the crew. When IDF soldiers come to drag out the bodies, a terrorist sniper opens fire, killing two more Israeli soldiers.

Debate, anyone?

Well, 8 Israeli soldiers killed and 2 kidnapped. So now we have 3 kidnapped Israelis. First a Humvee is attacked, two Israeli soldiers are killed and two kidnapped. Next, a tank is destroyed by an IED as far(as I understand), killing the crew. When IDF soldiers come to drag out the bodies, a terrorist sniper opens fire, killing two more Israeli soldiers.

Debate, anyone?

Gunning down soldiers who are trying to help their own or run away? Unspeakable!

Gunning down soldiers who are trying to help their own or run away? Unspeakable!

About that, I have to ask - What do mean by that?

Debate, anyone?

... and apparently (didn't manage to find article about it yet so, yes, this fact is still questionable) two libanese civilians killed by israelian bombardment, probably because they didn't care about the panel "Danger Zone : Artillery attack" icon_rolleyes.gif

8 soldiers killed in "police" operation versus 200 indian civilian dead at least blown to bits while having their own affairs...

I thought this topic was about War on globalized Terror and not neighbours dispute for two sand grains in Middle East, wasn't it ? rofl.gif

About that, I have to ask - What do mean by that?

I will not continue discussing this in this thread, hell, I would'nt even made the initial reply if I had noticed it was the war against terror thread.

The middle east is a dump... leave it at that

if you don't have anything constructive to add, don't.

does anybody have link? about lara logan report on tha navy seals in afganisthan ?

yup man thats it man, but do you know a link where can i download the video? and thank u

guys i just read in mp.net that there was a video about delta force, but the link taken down for security do know any link about the delta video that i can download?

Merged the SEAL-topic with War against terror since it was Taliban/AQ-related.

First Dutch death in Afghanistan sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]16 killed in Afghan copter crash

Thursday, July 27, 2006; Posted: 5:53 a.m. EDT (09:53 GMT)

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- All 16 people on board a helicopter that crashed in bad weather in eastern Afghan mountains were killed, including at least two American civilians and two Dutch military personnel, officials have said.

The cause of the crash was unclear.

The Mi-8 civilian helicopter went down on Wednesday northeast of Khost city -- a region where al-Qaeda and Taliban militants are believed to be active.

Afghan army and coalition troops have recovered 12 bodies and are searching for four more in the difficult, mountainous terrain, Col. Tom Collins, a coalition spokesman, told reporters in Kabul.

"There are no survivors," Collins said. "The terrain in this area is extremely difficult and we are now working hard to recover the remaining crew and passengers."

Collins said those on board included at least two Americans and people of other, unspecified nationalities.

The Dutch military said two of its officers -- a lieutenant colonel from the air force and an army sergeant, both serving with a NATO-led security force -- were on board.

"It looks bad, and by that I mean that the helicopter has crashed, not -- as we had hoped -- made a hard landing," said Dutch Defense Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Nico van der Zee in The Hague. "It's beginning to look like the people have died."

The Russian-made helicopter was operated by a logistics firm, Tryco. A Tryco official in Kabul said it was rented by Fluor, a U.S.-based company doing construction work in Khost province, about 150 kilometers (90 miles) south of the capital, Kabul.

The 16 people on board reportedly included at least three crew.

A Western diplomat, who was not authorized to speak to media, said there was confusion over who had been on board the helicopter as the passenger manifest listing their names had been kept on the aircraft. It was flying from Kabul to Khost.

Collins said there was no indication yet what caused the crash, but Van der Zee said it looked like an accident.

"It was in a mountainous region in very bad weather -- rain and mist which reduced visibility. That points toward it being an accident such as flying into a mountain or something like that," he said.

However, he added that the military had not yet ruled out the helicopter being shot down.

Maj. Luke Knittig, a spokesman for a NATO-led security force in Afghanistan, said the Dutch officers were studying security arrangements at a U.S.-run base in Khost to help them as they establish their own camps in restive Uruzgan province where hundreds of their troops are deploying.

The Netherlands has more than 1,500 troops in Afghanistan, most of them in Uruzgan. There have been no fatalities before among the Dutch forces here.

A coalition quick reaction team was also deployed to hike to the crash site on Wednesday.

In Kabul, Gen. Abdul Rahman, deputy chief of Afghan border police, said a team of border police had reached the scene on Wednesday afternoon and found at least four bodies. He said the bodies were burned and dismembered.

There have been a series of fatal helicopter crashes in Afghanistan over the past year from accidents or hostile fire.

In January, another Mi-8 transport chopper chartered by the Red Cross crashed high in snowy mountains in Kapisa province north of Kabul, killing all seven on board. The bodies were only retrieved in June.

In May, 10 U.S. soldiers died when their CH-47 Chinook crashed in the mountains of eastern Kunar province during combat operations against militants near the Pakistan border. There was no sign the crash was caused by hostile fire.

In June 2005, all 16 U.S. troops on board a Chinook died in Kunar when it was hit by a militant's rocket-propelled grenade.

This is crazy, my sister just got to Heathrow from Bangkok after a 16-hour flight from Sidney. Virtually everything to take her back to Sweden, is cancelled or insanely delayed.

Personally I find it amazing that this attempt was thwarted, and thankful. What I am worried about is that this will just spiral upwards, it has been since 9/11, and it will become alot worse.