Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

War against terror

BTW, the particular film you linked to contains a Nazi soundtrack in the background, in German, referring to problems being caused by Jews. I mentioned that somewhere on the other thread.

Uhm which song would that be, it was kinda just techno-ish + Marilyn Manson, and no German name in the music list in the end of the film.

The "reseau voltaire" is a not a nazi group, more communists than something else, i was surprised they could use a nazi song on their video.

BTW, the particular film you linked to contains a Nazi soundtrack in the background, in German, referring to problems being caused by Jews. I mentioned that somewhere on the other thread.

Uhm which song would that be, it was kinda just techno-ish + Marilyn Manson, and no German name in the music list in the end of the film.

No song. I believe it's in the background speech you hear at the start of the film.

It's been a while. Try going to the right thread on this subject and looking for my post a long time ago.

Quote[/b] ]

US 'alienating' world's Muslims

The US is losing "the war of ideas" in the Islamic world, a Pentagon advisory panel has warned.

A report by the Defence Science Board says official US talk of bringing democracy to Muslim nations is seen as "self-serving hypocrisy".

It says if the US wants Muslims to move towards its understanding of tolerance, it must reassure them this does not mean submitting to "the American way".

The report urges Washington to change its approach urgently.

However, it says that improving public relations is not enough.

"Muslims do not hate our freedom, but rather they hate our policies," the report says.

"The overwhelming majority voice their objections to what they see as one-sided support in favour of Israel and against Palestinian rights, and the long-standing, even increasing, support for what Muslims collectively see as tyrannies, most notably Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan and the Gulf states.

"Thus, when American public diplomacy talks about bringing democracy to Islamic societies, this is seen as no more than self-serving hypocrisy," the report says.

It adds that the US-led wars in Afghanistan and Iraq has actually raised the stature of radical enemies of America.

This one is for Duke of Ray:

Quote[/b] ]"Muslims do not hate our freedom, but rather they hate our policies," the report says.

BBC World News!

All in all this is hardly shocking news - it's been said so many times in this forum.

"The Defence Science Board is made of civilian experts appointed by the Pentagon, and offers the department advice on scientific, technical and other issues"

Which they will then be free to ignore as they see fit.

"The Defence Science Board is made of civilian experts appointed by the Pentagon, and offers the department advice on scientific, technical and other issues"

Which they will then be free to ignore as they see fit.

You know, there is a reason why popular science calls political science advisor one of the worst science jobs possible. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]In a videotape that aired today, Osama bin Laden's right-hand man pledged to continue fighting the United States until it changes its policies regarding Muslims. "You can elect Bush, Kerry or Satan himself, it doesn't matter to us," Ayman al-Zawahiri said in a tape broadcast by the Arabic-language Al-Jazeera television network. "What's important to us is the U.S. policies toward Muslims."

To back it up.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

But I'm sure what he meant to say was "We hate your freedom, and your democracy."

Link

Sometimes you guys really don't get it.

But that's OK. You're just as smart as the State Department guys, I suppose.

It's both.

Quote[/b] ]Iranian Leader: 'The Source of Human Torment and Suffering is Liberal Democracy'; Iranian President: 'The Root of All Terrorist Activity is the Violence of the Superpowers'

June 4, 2004 No.727

Recently, several high-ranking Iranian leaders, among them Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and President Muhammad Khatami, expressed views on the achievements of Iran's Islamic Revolution and the legacy of Ayatollah Ruholla Khomeini, and on the relationship between Islam and Western culture and values. Both men attacked the U.S. for its handling of affairs in Iraq. Along with stressing the need to instill Ayatollah Khomeini's legacy among the younger Iranians who never knew him, Iranian Leader Ali Khameneistated that not only is Khomeini's political thought appropriate for all of humanity's needs, but that the source of human suffering is "liberal democracy." Khamenei attacked the U.S. and stated that the reason for the "disgrace" (that is, the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghureib prison) was that "liberal democracy is devoid of morality." In contrast, Iranian President Muhammad Khatamiexpressed his support for borrowing from Western values and blending them into Islamic culture. At the same time, however, Khatami stated that the root of all terrorism is superpower violence.

The following are statements by these high-ranking Iranian leaders, as well as by Iranian Culture and Guidance Minister Ahmad Masjid-Jama'i:

Khamenei: 'Liberal Democracy is Devoid of Morality'

In an address to the organizers of the annual ceremony commemorating the 1989 death of Ayatollah Ruholla Khomeini, Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei said that "[Ayatollah Khomeini's] thought corresponded to the Islamic political thought, which he defined as the pure Islam of the Prophet Muhammad." Khamenei stressed the need for instilling Khomeini's doctrine in the coming generations, and said, "Loving the Imam Khomeini without understanding his political thought is inconceivable… Despite the propaganda [against Khomeini's thought by his opponents], his political thought is appropriate to humanity's primary needs, because the source of all human torment and suffering is the 'liberal democracy' promoted by the West as 'progressive political thought.'

"The torment of the Iraqis, of the Palestinians, and even of the Americans are the direct outcome of liberal Western democracy, and this must serve as an important lesson to the rest of the world, [which must] open its eyes and understand that those who call themselves advocates of human rights and democracy are in fact the main supporters of crimes against humanity… The reason for [this] disgrace [i.e. Abu Ghureib] is [the fact that] liberal democracy is devoid of morality, while the political thought of Imam Khomeini respected morality in addition to democracy, and at the same time pinned its hopes on God." [1]

Khatami: 'Islam Encourages Emulating Others Without Losing Islamic Identity… We Can Use the Concepts of the West'

At the International Conference on the Islamic Republic and Future Outlook, held in Tehran, Iranian President Muhammad Khatamisaid, "Islam encourages people to emulate others without losing their Islamic identity. Thus, we can make use of the achievements of the West, and overcome our shortcomings in various areas…" He added, "We must defend the principle of democracy, which is one of the goals of the Islamic Revolution. This is because defending Islam does not mean rejecting democracy and freedom." [2]

Unlike Khatami, who spoke in favor or borrowing Western values and integrating them into Islamic culture, Iranian Culture and Guidance Minister Ahmad Masjid-Jama'i said, also at the conference, that "the Islamic Republic regime is a great political phenomenon of the contemporary world, and a living example of the defeat of Western methods and ideas."

Masjid-Jama'i: 'Islamism is the Core of the Iranian Revolution'

Masjid-Jama'i added, "The [islamic] Revolution took place at a time when it was thought that all the countries in the region were going through a similar phase and in line with the historic changes in the Western world. Based on such a vision, it was speculated that acceptance of modern Western values and abandonment of traditional beliefs would ultimately pave the ground for injecting modern Western methods into the East…

"Many researchers are of the opinion that Islamism is the core of the Iranian revolution, and not just a slogan, because it has a profound influence on the overall framework of the revolution… The Islamic Revolution is a front-runner for many other social and political movements in the world, an international current that aims to safeguard and preserve national identity and tradition based on culture. That is why today Islam is needed, because it is a well-built pillar that strongly safeguards and preserves the national identity and nobility." [3]

'One Day the U.S. Too Will Be History'

Iranian Leader Ali Khameneisaid that the U.S. is contemptuous of Islam and the sensitivities of the Muslims "because the Americans are convinced that they will easily win the war in Iraq. But they will not see that day. As the Imam [Khomeini] said, 'One day the U.S. too will be history.' In light of what happened in Iraq, we can see now that he is right, because such events move the U.S. down the slope, and they will taste the bitterness of sure defeat." [4]

Khamenei condemned the "desecration being carried out by the Americans in the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala in Iraq," and said, "the Muslims will not continue to remain silent in the face of such aggression." [5]

Iranian President Muhammad Khatamisaid, "We condemn all forms of violence, but we must understand that the roots of all terrorist activity lie in the violence of the superpowers… It is regrettable that they accuse the [islamic] religion, civilization, and culture of violence and narrow-mindedness. Nevertheless, I do not deny that there are radicals among the Muslims, or other people in other societies, who act only by violent means. But it must be understood that the spirit of Islam does not preach violence." [6]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Aftab-e Yazd, Jomhour-e Eslami, (Iran), May 20, 2004.

[2] Aftab-e Yazd, (Iran), May 19, 2004.

[3] Iran Daily (Iran), May 18, 2004.

[4] Aftab-e Yazd, Jomhour-e Eslami (Iran), May 20, 2004.

[5] Jomhour-e Eslami (Iran), May 17, 2004.

[6] Aftab-e Yazd, (Iran), May 19, 2004.

Sometimes you guys really don't get it.

Ummm...don't get it?

Perhaps you missed the SOURCE of this statement. The right hand man to Bin Laden. The second in command.

He said, and I quote, ""What's important to us is the U.S. policies toward Muslims."

Perhaps its you that don't get it in assigning causes that do not exsist. What Iran has to say is irrelevant as we are not fighting them.......yet.

Was wondering whether to post this here or on the "Military Humor" (was "Military Stupidity") thread.

Quote[/b] ]French Police Misplace Explosives on Jet

Sat Dec 4,11:16 PM ET Europe - AP

PARIS - Police at Paris' top airport lost track of a passenger's bag in which plastic explosives were placed to train bomb-sniffing dogs, police said Saturday. Warned that the bag may have gotten on any of nearly 90 flights from Charles de Gaulle, authorities searched planes upon arrival in Los Angeles and New York.

French police said the explosives were harmless and there was no chance of their going off, since no detonators were connected to them.

More than 300 passengers were evacuated and their luggage searched when their Air France flight from Charles de Gaulle arrived in Los Angeles late Friday the U.S. Transportation Security Administration said

Two Air France and one American Airlines flight to Paris were also searched in New York City, TSA spokesman Norm Brewer said. No explosives were found on any of the flights.

French police at Charles de Gaulle deliberately placed up to five ounces of plastic explosives into a passenger's luggage Friday evening, police spokesman Pierre Bouquin said.

But a "momentary lack of surveillance" led to the bag being lost on a conveyor belt carrying luggage from check-in to planes, he said.

Authorities immediately alerted the relevant airlines that one of between 80 and 90 planes that left the French capital from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday could be carrying the explosives, Bouquin said.

Four of the flights were en route to the United States, while others were headed to places like Japan and Brazil, Bouquin said. Some were domestic French flights. The flight searched in Los Angeles was delayed two to three hours before continuing on its next leg to Tahiti in the South Pacific.

"These dogs must be trained in the most realistic situation possible ... to be the most effective," Bouquin said.

"Indeed, it's possible that someone will have a surprise when he opens his bag."

HE LIVES!

clouseau.gif

I hate all the marxist news headlines.  They say "U.S." for one, and two they don't even prove what they say, they just talk about the possibility so they're lying.  Besides,  I live in the u.s. and there is no special policy to alienate muslims or anything close.  Muslims live amongst people different than them or close to them depending on whatt they prefer here in the states. Any news report that tries to piss you off about America you shouldn't just believe off the bat, you should think about the motive behind the news report in the first place. How will this news help me, you should ask yourself.

Quote[/b] ]I hate all the marxist news headlines.

Those still exist...........

Quote[/b] ]They say "U.S." for one, and two they don't even prove what they say, they just talk about the possibility so they're lying.

Like this one: EVIDENCE OF TORTURE IN ABU GRAIB ?

Quote[/b] ]Besides,  I live in the u.s. and there is no special policy to alienate muslims or anything close.

.....uhmmm alright:

Quote[/b] ]

US Arabs 'fear for their family'

Almost 60% of Arab Muslims living in the US fear for the future of their families, according to a new report.

Almost a quarter of those asked said a family member had been insulted because of their race or religion.

Researchers at the University of Michigan questioned more than 1,500 people in the Detroit area over a six-month period.

They found 49% of the general population would support the increased surveillance of Arab Americans.

The conclusions bear out what several Arab and Muslim groups have been saying since the 9/11 attacks.

Marxist headline straight to you from BBC World Service

Quote[/b] ]Any news report that tries to piss you off about America you shouldn't just believe off the bat, you should think about the motive behind the news report in the first place.  How will this news help me, you should ask yourself.

Now, to a certain extent that could very well be true! The knife cuts both ways however and there's always Fox news to prove so!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/12/06/tillman.investigation/index.html

Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Army has reopened an investigation into the death of Army Ranger Spc. Pat Tillman in Afghanistan, based on its ongoing questions of the case as well as those raised by Tillman's family, an Army official said.

The move came last month.

Quote[/b] ]Army officials said Tillman's mother, Mary, went to Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, seeking details of the roles and missions of other soldiers and officers present during the attack.

She also wanted to know why the Army took several weeks to announce it was a friendly-fire incident and had other questions, including why her son's bloodied uniform was burned, the officials said.

McCain approached the Army in October seeking additional information.

An Army official said that several Rangers were disciplined after the incident.

According to the official, one member received administrative charges; four were rotated out of the Ranger unit back into regular Army infantry units, and two were reprimanded.

The official said he did not know why the actions were never announced by the Army at the time of the incident, but noted that due to privacy regulations, names and details of administrative discipline are not released.

Quote[/b] ].....uhmmm alright:

Biggest bullshit...

The number 1 reported race hate crimes were against Blacks (66.3%) and number 1 reported religious hate crimes were against Jews. Muslims accounted for 10.9% of anti-religious bias and Jews accounted for 69.2%. (using the UCR Report). Also, 9% were against christians. There must be secret policy to alienate black and jews...  wink_o.gif

Stop bitching and join the party.. crazy_o.gif

I love this..... xmas_o.gif  xmas_o.gif  xmas_o.gif  xmas_o.gif

@Bowery Baker: you have a lot of mood swings or something... xmas_o.gif

If it was a communication breakdown, then they should have had that figured out before they stepped into combat, or whoever put them there should have made sure.  I guess they don't choose that finely.  They probably just go first battallion is going in, and then you end up getting a monkey wrench in the machine and the machine falls breaks down.  Like some guy always talking over everyone else with stupid information.  There's always one guy who has dominance over the argument of what to do, when he talks everyone else doesn't interrupt because they know he's got something important to say because he's built up a reputation to where thats his style, thats the only time he talks.  Maybe that guy was impaired somehow at the time, or away, or dead, and then the rest of the crew felt unconfidant without him.  They should do a character profile of each soldier in this investigation, then try to retrace the events, and see what lead to the breakdown not to punish anyone , but to iron out the kinks. If they don't already do, they should do pre war character profiles and have a psychiatrist or psychologist form the units so that they get a supportive team. Maybe have each soldier have a psychiatrist so he can talk and say "man i don't like remy over there in my squad, he puts me down to the point where i don't feel confidant or even couragous anymore on the field, and sometimees i feel really confused after he talks all smartass to me but i feel powerless to say anything back." they need someone who can listen to stuff like that and be like, well sir, this guy needs put into a squad with character profiles b and c and immediately before he's qualified for combat. We'll test him out and if all goes fine when he's together with them, then our psychiatric information is correct.

I liked the Iranian President's statement.  Liberal democracy is bad and we should focus on the super powers.  I thought that news reel helped out alot.  It pointed out two key phrases "liberal democracy" or left wing thinking, which I find to be bad, and "super powers" because they are the ones going in there with the tanks and choppers.  We should keep our eyes on these two phrases.  Both should be observed when recognized like, "thats liberal democracy" or take the super powers into account as well.  There are two sides to every story, really and its often the super powers who get overlooked or not judged at all as possibly being wrong.

Biggest bullshit...

The number 1 reported race hate crimes were against Blacks (66.3%) and number 1 reported religious hate crimes were against Jews. Muslims accounted for 10.9% of anti-religious bias and Jews accounted for 69.2%. (using the UCR Report). Also, 9% were against christians. There must be secret policy to alienate black and jews...  wink_o.gif

I'm sure the University of Michigan lack integrity and is infamous for being a fundamentalist wahabi school and fakes it's reports!

crazy_o.gif

I liked the Iranian President's statement.

More pudding?

Quote[/b] ]Iran expresses concern about deteriorating human rights situation in Europe

TEHRAN (MNA) -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said on Sunday that Iran is seriously concerned about the rise in human rights violations in Europe and especially the rise in anti-Islamic sentiments and the treatment of minority groups.

Asefi made the remarks in response to a question about the decision of the European Union to lodge a protest with Tehran expressing concern about the human rights situation in Iran.

“The issue of human rights is on the agenda of Iran-EU talks and this is not something one-sided, and we have also some criticism about their (human rights) situation,†Asefi told reporters at his weekly press briefing.

“We have serious concerns about human rights violations in Europe, especially the rise in anti-Islamic sentiments in some European states, most notably in the Netherlands where a filmmaker insulted the sensitivities of Muslims by making a very unpleasant movie,†he added.

Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh, widely known for his criticism of Islam, caused uproar with his film "Submission" that links domestic abuse with the perceived subservient position of Muslim women. -----------Iran-EU commitments interlinked

Iran feels no obligation to observe its nuclear promises if the European Union doesn’t live up to its commitments toward Iran’s nuclear program, the Foreign Ministry spokesman noted.

“If they (Europeans) renege on their commitments Iran will also feel no obligation to act to what it has promised,†Asefi told reporters.

In a deal struck between Iran and the European Union big powers – Germany, France and Britain – in Paris last November Iran voluntarily agreed to suspend its nuclear enrichment related activities in a move to prove that its nuclear program is peaceful.

In return, the EU has promised to recognize Iran’s right under the NPT (nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty) with regard to its obligations without any discrimination.

The EU has also recognized that the suspension is a voluntary confidence building measure without being legally binding.

According to the Paris Pact working groups were going to be established in the first half of December 2004 to launch negotiations on political, security, technology and nuclear issues between Iran and the European Union. Asefi said that serious talks between Iran and the EU would start "next week."

He added that a number of "working groups" are currently being formed to work on the materialization of agreements. -------IAEA has not officially ask Iran to visit Parchin

Asefi said Iran has not been officially asked by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) if it can inspect Parchin military site in southeast Tehran. "We are ready to cooperate within the framework of our commitments with the IAEA." However, Asefi said, "It is not a matter of unlimited commitments and unlimited inspections."

"We will act in accordance with the NPT, our duties and responsibilities," AFP quoted Asefi as saying. ------Iran urges Russia to speed up completion of Bushehr project

The spokesman said his country expects Russia to commit itself to speed up the completion of the Bushehr nuclear power plant which has been delayed again and again. “We hope the talks (with Russians) over technical issues and pricing to reach a conclusion and expect the Russians to live up to their commitments.â€

Asefi hinted that the Bushehr project is a symbol of cooperation between Tehran and Moscow and the Iranian people will judge Moscow on its cooperation. --------------Iran’s sovereignty over Abu Musa Island undisputed: FM spokesman

Iran’s sovereignty over Abu Musa Island is undisputed, but Tehran is prepared to hold talks with the United Arab Emirates on the issue in order to remove misunderstandings based on the 1971 agreement.

“There is no doubt about Iran’s sovereignty over Abu Musa Island, but since we have friendly ties with our Emirati brothers, we are interested in resolving the misunderstandings over the island based on the 1971 agreement,†Asefi underlined.

Quote[/b] ]Bin Laden trail is cold, Musharraf admits

Pakistani leader admits impasse as US offers deal to Taliban

David Teather in New York and Declan Walsh in Islamabad

Monday December 6, 2004

The Guardian

The hunt for Osama bin Laden has gone cold, reducing Pakistan's security forces to little more than guesswork, President Pervez Musharraf admitted at the weekend.

Speaking to reporters in Washington before flying to Britain yesterday, Mr Musharraf blamed the US for failing to send enough troops to neighbouring Afghanistan.

The admission confirmed the fear that Bin Laden is no closer to capture than when he fled the Tora Bora caves three years ago, probably across the border into Pakistan.

"We don't know where he is. He might be anywhere," Mr Musharraf told CNN, adding that Pakistan had posted thousands of troops along the mountainous border.

"Is that the same on the other side? No, it is not. Where would he feel safer?" he said.

In Afghanistan, an amnesty offer to Bin Laden's erstwhile allies the Taliban suggested they were in a far weaker position.

The US military commander in Afghanistan, Lieutenant General David Barno, said yesterday that as few as 100 Taliban leaders would be prosecuted as "criminals" and thousands of lower-level insurgents would be pardoned and allowed to return home.

If successful, the strategy would enable the US to reduce its 18,000-strong force as early as next summer, he hinted.

The amnesty offer was made on the eve of Hamid Karzai's inauguration as Afghan president tomorrow.

It is one of several shifts in the cross-border war on al-Qaida and the Taliban.

Although failing to find Bin Laden, Mr Musharraf has killed hundreds of other al-Qaida militants in Pakistan this year, earning him warm praise from President George Bush at the White House on Saturday.

Mr Bush said he was "very pleased" with Pakistan's efforts, adding that its army has "been incredibly active and very brave".

Mr Musharraf said he had pressed Mr Bush to increase his efforts to solve the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, which he described as key to defusing tension in the Islamic world.

"This is the source of all problems," he said, adding that Mr Bush now appeared "more focused and serious" on the issue.

Mr Musharraf is due to meet Tony Blair today for discussions on terrorism, trade, Afghanistan and Kashmir.

Pakistan has proved a crucial but often difficult ally of the west in the "war on terror".

Britain and the US are unhappy with Mr Musharraf's refusal to allow direct access to Abdul Qadeer Khan, the scien tist who earlier this year admitted supplying nuclear secrets to Libya, Iran and North Korea.

Mr Musharraf told the Washington Post that he would not allow any outsider to interview Mr Khan.

"It's a very sensitive issue inside Pakistan. The man has been a hero for the masses."

He would be insulted by a request to interview Mr Khan. "It shows a lack of trust."

The US has had greater success securing Pakistani promises of help in the hunt for the Taliban.

It has been long accused of turning a blind eye to militants sheltering inside its northern border. Now Pakistan and Afghanistan have agreed to jointly draw up a list of wanted Taliban hiding in Pakistan, Gen Barno said yesterday.

"I think in the very near future we'll see both countries moving forward to look to arrest and bring to justice those individuals," he told the Associated Press.

Meanwhile, US soldiers will start a register of Taliban footsoldiers willing to return home peacefully, provided they take part in an as yet unannounced reconciliation process.

"If it works, I think that there will be a significant number of people following it up," the general said.

A "significant reconciliation" could prompt a troop review by summer, he added.

The US amnesty is based on analysis that the Taliban are demoralised and divided after their failure to halt the presidential election in October. But so far there is little evidence that they will accept the offer.

One Taliban spokesman has already rejected a similar olive branch from the US ambassador.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1367135,00.html

Iran complaining about human rights in Europe. Thats rich..... crazy_o.gif

Biggest bullshit...

I'm sure the University of Michigan lack integrity and is infamous for being a fundamentalist wahabi school and fakes it's reports!

crazy_o.gif

Billybob2002 has a problem with living in fear part (not pissing on the report). 66% of race based hate crimes were against Blacks (from the lovely UCR) in 2003 and have been number one group (race) since hate crime reporting started. 69% of religious based hate crimes were against Jews in 2003 and have been number one group (religious) since hate crime reporting started. I just find it is a odd that they "fear" for their future.....

U of M is where Juan Cole is Professor of Middle Eastern Studies.

And the U of M's Center for Mideast and N. African Studies is a big hit with Gulf Arabs and Arabists.

In Daniel Pipes' article, The future of Academia, Pipes states:

In October of 2003 alone, for example, we did three investigative studies. At the University of Michigan, we found that the website of the Middle East Center endorsed Wahhabi websites.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............

Infamous? Maybe just not yet.