Sign in to follow this  
AirwolfPL

Far cry's unscripted ai behaviour

I think my favorite place in the game is where you get to take a glider from a high cliff down towards a beach with a merc, a jeep and...yep, loads of trigens.

I have never felt as hunted in a game as I did in this one, I loved it! For once I often found myself just hurrying to get to the next objective instead of sticking around and mopping up all pieces of resistance.

yeah the games good one thin im not to found of is the 12 foot high guys that have rocket launchers there impossible to kill epecailly if its in doors and you cant circle straf them with the rocket launcher or the g-36k

I think my favorite place in the game is where you get to take a glider from a high cliff down towards a beach with a merc, a jeep and...yep, loads of trigens.

The map is called "Rebellion".

Quote[/b] ]I have never felt as hunted in a game as I did in this one, I loved it! For once I often found myself just hurrying to get to the next objective instead of sticking around and mopping up all pieces of resistance.

You have'nt tried the map "Dam" I see...  wink_o.gif

My fav maps are Training, Steam, Boat, Swamp and River

Quote[/b] ]yeah the games good one thin im not to found of is the 12 foot high guys that have rocket launchers there impossible to kill epecailly if its in doors and you cant circle straf them with the rocket launcher or the g-36k

Usually the head is the weak-spot, except for the giant rocket-launching Trigens. Their weak-spot is the green crystal in their chest. Make that crystal spark.

Quote[/b] ]You have'nt tried the map "Dam" I see...

My fav maps are Training, Steam, Boat, Swamp and River

Well, I have actually. Finished it through and through a while ago. Marvelous entertainment.

Hey Shadow have you got the 1.1 of the sandbox editor documentation? It makes the editor and placing of objects and AI very simple.

You can get it here

Nice to see I ain't the only OFP'r that posts on the far cry forums often too wink_o.gif

Hey Shadow have you got the 1.1 of the sandbox editor documentation? It makes the editor and placing of objects and AI very simple.

You can get it here

Nice to see I ain't the only OFP'r that posts on the far cry forums often too  wink_o.gif

Yeah, I got it.

But it does'nt make the editor any easier to use, only understand. It still takes me around a minute just to place a single object.

I know.. I'm slow biggrin_o.gif

Working on getting my dynamic lights work the way I want them to. I also got lots of texture-painting and vegetation-placement to do. But that's only a side-project. I use most of my modding-time on OFP-missions and an addon.

You can get it here

Nice to see I ain't the only OFP'r that posts on the far cry forums often too  wink_o.gif

Yeah, I got it.

But it does'nt make the editor any easier to use, only understand. It still takes me around a minute just to place a single object.

I know.. I'm slow  biggrin_o.gif

Working on getting my dynamic lights work the way I want them to. I also got lots of texture-painting and vegetation-placement to do. But that's only a side-project. I use most of my modding-time on OFP-missions and an addon.

Personally I can't wait for the SDK, this game looks to be just as moddable as ofp, being the main reason why I got it. smile_o.gif

It's kinda funny if you read this topic title and then have a look at any of the original maps biggrin_o.gif

Because the AI in FarCry is far from unscripted wink_o.gif

I did a little AI-experiment. I removed all the helpers like forbidden area, hideable object-markers and waypoints just to show the true AI in this game.

Let me just say that I was far from impressed biggrin_o.gif

So those who still thinks the AI in Farcry is unscripted, have a look in the Sandbox tounge_o.gif

OFP's "natural" AI still kicks FarCry's butt.

Hmmm. I don't like the editor. It's too complex. I'm sure it's very powerful, but the learning curve is a bit too steep for a casual user.

If it had something Å• la OFP, it might have held some interest to me, but not like this.

It is unscripted, but uses anchors. As in, the enemy doesnt follow the same orders and same path every time, they use the terrain around them. Naturally they must be made aware of what the terrain is, otherwise, how would they know?

Is the editor really that hard? I remember seeing a video where one of the developers made a functional map really fast.

One would think that every one could learn the basics just by looking and doing the few steps he did.

smile_o.gif

Once you know your way around it, you can use it quite quickly. But trying to figure it out by yourself could be hard I guess.

I played a few maps and I don't see any different behaviour than in other well develloped games.

-They still shoot at their own guys

-They still go under incoming fire.

-They ocasionally hide but then go out to open

What I would find unusual would be a grenade thrown to a penetrated room before coming in. They don't do that. They go inside the whole group and get killed.

-I get a hard time to shoot sth with a sniper riffle while guards that I can hardly see through the scope kill me with one RPG shot. LOL

Hey, i got the new super-modified german version. Is there any way I can bring it back to full gore? The old trick doesnt work anymore! sad_o.gif

If you think there good graphics, Albert, just wait tilll you get to the later levels, particularly the volcano one  wink_o.gif

With only one patch released thus far I'm still amazed to see a game released that isn't full of huge amount of critical bugs, not one CTD so far! smile_o.gif

edit > danm tpyos, frggin slpeling. biggrin_o.gif

Holy smoke! That's impressive! If many of you OFP'rs like it I'll by it smile_o.gif

Holy smoke! That's impressive! If many of you OFP'rs like it I'll by it  smile_o.gif

Well don't be expecting OFP in terms of gameplay, I'd say its more akin to Half-Life, but in terms of manipulation and editing and the imminent release of the SDK its going to be on a par with OFP for modding.

Compare this picture with the one above, everything is movable.

Looks very very impressive! Any idea how it will work on my pc (AMD Athlon xp 300, 512 ram, 160 GB and Radeon 9200 pro) ?

Do you think I should upgrade to 1024?

I realy cant tell you that. But I know the graphic card counts a lot here. Many DirectX 9.0b effects. I am lucky that I got a new PC lately and it runs relatively smooth at lowest 30fps. In the end it is never worth to buy a new PC. You pay a lot and waste more time playing. And definetly dont upgrade when the summer is coming. That would be a lost summer! smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

FarCry0016.jpg

Strangely enough the outside levels run smoother than the ones inside. Outside even with birds, butterflies, fish and long view distance my fps are better than the inside. I guess the textures and lightning are very demanding. The physics engine by the way is totally the job of the CPU (well somehow logical isnt it)?

FarCry0018.jpg

Correct Albert, a large portion of the indoors lag is caused by lighting, shadow effects and the textures. Been causing heaps of hazzle on some machines.