Sign in to follow this  

Community Pessimism

I'm one of the few original fans of OFP that is still around. AndOne is another. Suffice it to say that AndOne and I have pretty solid connections with the development team, as our small group of fans enjoyed B.I.'s open rapport with us back when the demo hadn't even been released.

I really get disgusted with all of the know-nothings and newbs with their doom-and-gloom prophetic warnings. They say "1.40 won't be released" or "there won't be any new units or weapons" or "B.I. has stopped supporting this game". It's all hogwash. I know for a fact that B.I. is STILL squashing bugs, improving game stability, improving netcode, and working on as-yet-unreleased units.

I leave it to the rest of you fans to drown out the pessimistic voices of these ignorant "fans".

B.I. silenced the voices of the nay-sayers (like that corksurker Li C. Kuo of PC Gamer) who insinuated that they wouldn't be able to pull off a project of such great ambition. Well, they did. They also (in helping CM) gave us a Russian campaign. They also gave us vehicles we said we had to have. They also gave me the doorgun that I said I wanted. They've been working, working, working... and some of you are simply ingrates.

--Uziyahu_IDF

I belive BIS is still supporting the game and that they will release a 1.40.

I just don't think BIS will be able to add all the things I think the game is lacking. When our squad tried the demo we were really looking forward to playing the game online. DEK is a DFLW squad but we saw OFP as a replacement. We run three DFLW servers with 16 people on each server free of lag. OFP was bigger than DFLW and we of course thought that this meant more players on a server too. We wanted to set up a server for 32 to 50 players depending on lag. The first game we played was fun but when we saw that the ´game supported 2-8 players CTF we were horrified. We had read that "There is no real limit to the number of players in a game it all depends on bandwidth" .... this was not a lie.... just a smart way to cover the truth. Our 40+ members have all given up on OFP a long time ago (right after 1.20)... now we are a few that play Ghost Recon, but we still play DFLW as OFP simply wasn't good enough to play online. This combined with the great potential of OFP is what disappointed us.

We would pay for a MP addon that added certain features to the game... OFP would have 40+ new players having fun online and I don't think we are the only ones willing to pay. http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....ic=1262

I'm with Uziyahu IDF... check my rant on the tech support forum (if you can find it hidden away).

I have to say Canis, that I also agree with you... in some ways...

First... the 2-8 players, was a demonstration, based upon, admittedly, dodgy networking code. I personally have played maps with 16+ players and it was absolutely fantastic!

Version 1.30 is a vast improvement, check it out...

BIS have gone a long way to support development, I mean, there <is> an editor built into the game (you don't even have to load a different *.exe). They have released a command reference, they have released a lip-syncing tool...

OK, they haven't release full information on mission editing, but then, there are so many people out there in the community that have gathered together bits and bobs that it is possible to create a full mission, even a full campaign.

I love OFP. If only I had the time to sit down and really get to grips with designing some missions...

Yeah I agree with the starter of this post,

This is a Great and complicated Game and BIS do well todo the job they have done, may OPF live for a LONG TIME! (Thats Online and Offline)

Oops. I didn't notice this thread until I posted in the other one. Anyway, Well said, Uziyahu IDF. smile.gif

I agree with this thread too.

On Bis:

Great Job.

On some of the community:

I have been here since the game came out (check the date joined at the bottom of my post) but have made relatively little posts - this is because despite comming to the forum daily I find less and less topics actually regarding Flashpoint because all people are interested in is flaming each other (cowards behind modems) and I refuse to post in flame wars so end up leaving with only making maybe one post.

Give that man a new!!!

in other words , good call , I agree 100%

agreed...the ones whining are always the ones who are the loudest of us.

Erex, nice to see you posting again, it has been a while smile.gif

I've been thinking about making this kinda post for a long time now....looks like you beat me to it Uzi smile.gif

It's a sad thing to see all the ignorant, ungratefull and egocentric posts around here. I often long for 'the old days'...before the demo was released. The community was awsome back then. The daily chats with BIS on IRC, you knew almost every1 in the community...everybody respected the game and the developers...unlike what we see now.

It's really sad to see all those folks from the old community leaving because of those d*amn annoying noobs. Do you happen to know what happened to Vikingo? I really miss the biggest OFP-fan around sad.gif

Still playing OFP regularly after all these months - ####, I'm still playing the same user mission I put together month's ago from different perspectives! That's the key - longevity.  Red Hammer has added to this with some superb missions. I don't even need to go online - multiplayer missions can be played offline. Perfect or not it's the best Å30's worth of game around - still!

I agree with the first post 100%.

I played many games, but only for a few weeks if not days. All other games were too short and unrealistic. When i played the demo, i loved the graphic in OFP. all those vehicles and huge landscape. I bought OFP the first day i saw it in the store. I loved the campaign. Some missions were so realisic. The best was After Montignac. I still remember when i played that mission for hours. All night, but i finished it. All missions were so fun and realisic. I, myself loved the night missions. I still love them. I love everything in OFP. I didn't played MP until now, because all people were complaining. I tried MP a few weeks ago ago. It's great. It is a little laggy sometimes, but this doesn't bother me, since i can kick high pingers.

And there is something else. Find me a game with so much support from developers. Every forum have moderators. But they are only moderators. It's a miracle if u detect the developer's post. post from only one developer. We get support from all developers here. They're listening to us and they're responding.

All in all. OFP is a great game with the great support.

Every forum have moderators. But they are only moderators.

Not entirely true. Forums, like the OFPN ones, which are led by guys that have been following the game for ages (1 year+ wink.gif) can answer about 99% of all questions. This is also the main reason why I'm so upset about 'veterans' leaving the community....they're the ones that know almost as much about the game as BIS themselves, since 'in the old days' BIS used to keep us fully informed on what was going on with OFP and stuff.

I bought the game on June 21st (only heard about it a month for release)

Didn't even try the demo, just bought it, never regretted it...

and...I am still here :)

and...the people whining can't stop their whining by :

1) not posting anymore (**UNLESS** you have some good, solid, informed complaint)

2) stop playing the game and buy one of the other wargames, it is not like you are *FORCED* to play OFP :)

I hope all the 'veterans' keep coming and keep playing ! Cheers to all the positive characters of OFP community(quite a lot actually !)

...Bloodmixer

I think that im speakig for all of us (BIS), when i say that is WONDERFUL feeling when someone set great store on our work :-)

Also is great to see all of our "VETERAN FAN'S" helping us with support etc etc. smile.gif

Pete: Lot of work & school sad.gif

Hope to be here more and more :-)

I have registred www.ofpnorway.com - am about to build a new fansite biggrin.gif My only headache is installing the Ikonboard..

Other than that, I am playing the Red Hammer campaign. It rocks because of the marvellous game engine. I love to sit down with a cup of coffee (or an ice cold Pepsi Max) and fire up Operation Flashpoint, it feels like coming home. Just toying around with the editor or playing a mission or campaign.

It actually grows on you, the more you play OFP, the better it gets, no doubt.

BTW #2: If anyone can help me with the Ikonboard installation, I would appreciate it very much. Have posted on the Ikonboard forum as well.

Click here to go to the admin frontpage

The installation went fine but I cannot login with the admin account that I created after the installation. It sends me to a 404 cannot find.. page at my local host server. Any idea? Have tried reuploading the html files and CHmod´ed them 777 just in case (you can tell I am not a CGI genious..)

Hidden

(Edited by Hidden at 11:18 pm on Dec. 17, 2001)

I agree 100% with the topic-post...it is most annoying when people are guessing and speculating about the future of OFP...however I get even more annoyed when the flamewars begin and some elements (they are often the same ones) starts acting like total idiots, calling eachother names and stuff. High moral standards and common politeness (is this a word?) should be in affect even in an internetforum, just like in real life.

OK, how does this relate to the "community pessimism" issue? Well, its easier to talk to eachother, debating and asking questions without some smartasses and their smartass comments, thus making it a FORUM for the fans, not the whiners/smartasses/talibans.

Dont get me wrong...its not jokes and friendly "ripping" I object to....I love a joke just like the next guy/girl.

And BTW, I must say, its really nice to see that BIS still is taking notice of this forum - keep up the good work!

I also agree.  BIS has brought to me the best game I have ever played.  Never before has a game captured my attention and held it for so long...not Quake, Half-life, Unreal, Command & Conquer, Rogue Spear, or Pac-Man.  It never gets boring.  

There are some elements of the community that leave a lot to be desired, but most here are fine people.  I particularly enjoy running into people I've posted with on an OFP server.  Its like running into and old friend at the pub.

Thanks again BIS/CM, you are appreciated.

looks like there are alot more supporters than you first thought. I for one Love this game and the support BIS has shown so far.

If the kids whinning about it don't like just allow them to move on. That makes it easier for the ones who want to stay ....