Sign in to follow this  
drewb99

Athlon 64 launched

Ok what about AMD's Opteron it can handle 64 bit apps too is it better then Athlon? rock.gif

blackdog, did you get the Athlon64 or the Athlon64FX? If you didn't get the FX model, your performance with 32 bit apps is only going to be marginally better than an AthlonXP3200.

Ok what about AMD's Opteron it can handle 64 bit apps too is it better then Athlon? rock.gif

The Athlon64FX (the one with the on chip memory controller) is basically an Opteron with the clockpeed ramped up a bit. YEs the opteron is better than the regular Athlon, but I wouldn't recommend it for a home system if you have any kind of budgetary concerns.

blackdog, did you get the Athlon64 or the Athlon64FX? If you didn't get the FX model, your performance with 32 bit apps is only going to be marginally better than an AthlonXP3200.

I cheaped out a little bit on the processor, got a 3200 because it was still $450... christ.

AMD Athlon FX 51 was $750 crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  mad_o.gif  mad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

Oh, and this processor is 2.00 ghz not overclocked compared to a 1.2 ghz on the old one (not overclocked)

I cheaped out a little bit on the processor, got a 3200 because it was still $450... christ.

AMD Athlon FX 51 was $750 crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifwow_o.gifwow_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gifsad_o.gif

Oh, and this processor is 2.00 ghz not overclocked compared to a 1.2 ghz on the old one (not overclocked)

Understandable..the FX model screams like a banshee, but it's not for the faint of wallet.

When I post OFPMArk version 2 in the general forums (hopefully tonight I can post it), you should give it a whirl with your new system. wink_o.gif

Opteron is a CPU that can be used in a multi-processor system, comparably to the old Athlon MP. It is supposed to be marketed to the server market and is not really useful for home applications, esp. considering the price.

If I was you, I would get an Athlon FX after Christmas in the January sales smile_o.gif The Athlon 64 is supposed to be the cheap CPU (like the Duron) whilst the FX is going to be the flagship (like the current Barton).

Quote[/b] ]If I was you, I would get an Athlon FX after Christmas in the January sales
For sure!, I can never understand people who jump straight onto new technology (unless they have money to burn). It always improves in performance/stability within a few months and comes down in price drasticaly. Why would anyone be a paying beta tester just to have the 'latest and ...' well latest! in their sig?!...

Saying that the latest flagship AMD (FX?) is still cheaper or comparable to the 3.2gig Pee4 is'nt it?...

Saying that the latest flagship AMD (FX?) is still cheaper or comparable to the 3.2gig Pee4 is'nt it?...

YYYYYep! And it blows the P4EEE out of the water. smile_o.gif Waiting for awhile is the prudent decision though. I read that AMD is going to change the socket design for the AthlonFX in the near future. It would be wise to wait until they decide on a socket design for the AthlonFX, to keep your upgrade paths open.