Sign in to follow this  
Doolittle

Conquer the base

You will find at http://home.earthlink.net/~dbircsak/ctb/index.htm a single mission which I have been working on for about a month.  It is a CTI clone.  Completely written from scratch.  The premise is this:  the base is already built, there is no commander, there is no MHQ.  You take towns and send civilians to work for you.  When they get near a town they "join" that town and you can no longer control them, thus allowing you to do more important stuff like lead soldiers.  There is a garage where you can buy cars and bikes, etc.  There is an armory where tanks and jeeps are bought.  The hangar has planes and helicopters.  The ammo depot lets you equip weapons.  The barracks lets you hire soldiers.  The repair depot lets you build repair and ammo trucks.  The ammo truck makes crates & the repair truck can build various defensive structures & even a camp where you can hire mercenaries.

The scripting in this is (I think) very complex but also very simple and hopefully easy to modify (for various addons).  There is VERY little use of variables and passing of variables.  If you like OFP scripting you might enjoy depboing this.  Only 26 scripts inside! smile_o.gif

Also since there are no "upgrades" for a commander to buy, you can only buy types of equipment when a certain number of towns has been captured....such as the M1A1 is available only when 6 towns or more are owned by your side.

Doolittle

I suppose you could say that too.  Aren't they both the same...conceptually speaking?  I just have CTI at the tip of my tongue because I've been playing it a lot.

Doolittle

OK, I found it a bit confusing and it needs a more structured system.. it should have more features like CTI but less laggy for the server etc..

It wasn't that confusing Blackdog, you just need to hire some civilians smile_o.gif

RED

OK, I found it a bit confusing and it needs a more structured system.. it should have more features like CTI but less laggy for the server etc..

blackdog may I ask what you mean?

Doolittle

Maybe better instructions in the briefing and notes so people'll know what to do.

I am tying to replace all of the BIS soldiers/weapons with some marines and jam weapons. I have most of it figured out(getting the soldiers to start w/ jam weapons, respawn with jam weapons, ect) except for what .sqs file stores what weapons you can buy from the ammo depot. I am thinking dialogbuy.sqs but I am not seeing it. Do you think you can point me in the right direction?

Hey BD is this the same mission you had on your server that day? ...yeah the civvies didnt move but then again we also didnnt capture towns for them to work in ... rock.gif

In init.sqs:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">buildingequipList = [["wammodepot", "Ammo Depot"], ["eammodepot", "Ammo Depot"]]

wammodepotlist = [["M60", ["M60", "Binocular"], ["M60", "M60", "M60", "M60", "HandGrenade", "HandGrenade"], 100, "ismg"], ["Kozlice", ["Kozlice", "Binocular"], ["KozliceShell", "KozliceShell", "KozliceShell", "KozliceShell", "KozliceShell", "KozliceBall", "KozliceBall", "KozliceBall", "KozliceBall", "KozliceBall"], 50, "ivojak"], ["MM-1", ["MM1", "Binocular"], ["MM1Magazine", "HandGrenade", "HandGrenade"], 200, "igrenadier"]]

wammodepotlist = wammodepotlist + [["HK and LAW", ["HK", "LAWLauncher", "Binocular"], ["HK", "HK", "HK", "HK", "LAWLauncher", "LAWLauncher", "LAWLauncher"], 250, "islaw"], ["HK and AA", ["HK", "AALauncher", "Binocular"], ["HK", "HK", "HK", "HK", "AALauncher"], 200, "isaa"], ["HK and Carl Gustav", ["HK", "CarlGustavLauncher", "Binocular"], ["HK", "HK", "HK", "HK", "CarlGustavLauncher"], 200, "isat"]]

First listed is what it shows on the menu, second is the weapons given, third is the ammo, fourth is the price, and fifth is the icon shown.  I hope that's simple enough. smile_o.gif

Beta 2

I've decided to kill the whole civilian working thing.  I am going to make it so that certain captured towns give more money, just like regular CTI. I am also going to remove the City Requirement thing. That really doesn't make sense anyways (Realistically speaking).

Doolittle

Very good, it's these CTI variants which makes the game beeing alive. I hope the devs include an option in OFP2 where you CAN'T join in progress also.

Otherwise it would be unplayable, join in progress is crap for strategy games/variants of a game...

Ah is AI comp-players supported?

Wow...

Nice Job Doolittle, this is actually a briliant idea. Very nice to be put as a new multiplayer game. Good idea, Love it, but slight improvement will do the trick. Your mod just prove that u can basically do anything for flashpoint. The game it self doesnt have to be a tactical shooter. Anyways does anyone play this map somewhere on the net? I would like to play lol

Wow...

Nice Job Doolittle, this is actually a briliant idea. Very nice to be put as a new multiplayer game. Good idea, Love it, but slight improvement will do the trick. Your mod just prove that u can basically do anything for flashpoint. The game it self doesnt have to be a tactical shooter. Anyways does anyone play this map somewhere on the net? I would like to play lol

It's on my server..

http://www.ofpboneyard.com

Very nice Doolittle.

I'm well impressed with how much this is changing the game. And how much it builds on the strenghs of it. Suddendly the whole island becomes alive in a single mission.

Just a couple of questions:

1- Could the vehicles stay longer? They currently get distroyes if you leave them for a long time (as you say in the readme file) but the time is too short if you want to capture a town slowly. When you go back to your precious hidden car is not nice to see it broken... specially with a long walk back home.

2- Could your magic be used to create random SP or Coop missions? A random base for each side. Random vehicles for each side. AI deffends. Player/s attack (or even the other way around).

To me this is the big missing thing in OFP.

Thanks again for the mission smile_o.gif

Beta 2 is done!  No more civilians.  No more city requirements.  Please update when you have the chance!  Thanks.

I hope to add AI or COOP soon.

Doolittle

I've finished Beta 3.  Almost out of Beta stage.  I just want to make certain everything works right.  Turns out in earlier versions the entire money system didn't work!  I've recoded the whole thing & have tested it on my home network...but some solid internet testing is still needed.  Please help me if you can!  Let me know if you are getting income from towns!  I also need to make sure dead bodies & destroyed vehicles go away after a certain amount of time...so let me know if things are dissappearing or not.

I added an M2 with AP rounds.  Also put the AI players back in...now I just need to code some brains for them.  Also if you build an M2 ontop of a fortress or tower, the M2 will be re-placed up high in the tower/fortress.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dbircsak/ctb/

Doolittle

I put CTB over to Tonal island! Now you can play with all those cool new OPFOR units.

bas.jpg

It was wierd setting up the capture spots as I've never had the chance to play this map on CTI. Note...I was able to do this in about a day. The idea of making Conquer the Base easy to modify worked... smile_o.gif

Doolittle

I caught wind of this one a bit late. I have been out of the OFP loop for a while. As usual your work is great Doolittle. Only thing is, you got rid of hiring workers  sad_o.gif

I know hiring workers might've seen like something that slowed the game down, but when I played the first release with a few guys last night, we thought it was really fun to gun down a bunch of civvies and scamper off into the woods.

However from playing the first version, I don't know if these were fixed but: Civ vehicles. They just disappear way too soon. I remember the first time I played I trundled up to a town in my tractor and I had to run all the way back to base after I liberated it because the damn thing disappeared  crazy_o.gif

Corpses disappeared a bit to quickly. People whom I played with complained about not being able to liberate a town and then rob the corpses after securing the area.

Making money was just too easy. We never had any problems making way more money than we could possibly use up.

As neat as the idea of making a base and defending it was. The game eventually degenerated into one guy blowing up another guy's base while he was off conquering or doing something else. I think that was due in fact to the usage of all everon. Then again we only had four players. It was pretty easy as well just to get a chopper firing off  rockets ( as limited as they were) and rush tanks over to a base and basically roll over opposition if there was any token defence forces left behind. Maybe we weren't playing it right. I dunno.

I'd really love to see a variant in which the player can remain totally independent of structures so that it would focus more on raiding towns making money and taking slaves. Shooting and stealing slaves is good fun... in ofp that is.

Playing against ai was another thing I heard a lot while playing last night, mainly because we don't have enough people to get a huge game going... but I don't think they get that the ofp ai doesn't come pre scripted to know how to do that.

One thing everyone loved was fighting resistance... the resistance base in the woods provided quite a bit of entertainment as well since we all decided to fight over it. It was pretty intense seeing firefights happen all over the place while watching out for an indiscriminant third party.

Quote[/b] ]Only thing is, you got rid of hiring workers  

I know hiring workers might've seen like something that slowed the game down, but when I played the first release with a few guys last night, we thought it was really fun to gun down a bunch of civvies and scamper off into the woods.

Yeah..maybe I should make it an option...

Quote[/b] ]However from playing the first version, I don't know if these were fixed but: Civ vehicles. They just disappear way too soon. I remember the first time I played I trundled up to a town in my tractor and I had to run all the way back to base after I liberated it because the damn thing disappeared  

Sorry about that!  I got rid of the disappearing part & I will put disappearing bodies to 5 minutes or so.

Quote[/b] ]Making money was just too easy. We never had any problems making way more money than we could possibly use up.

Yeah I need to tweak the money but I don't get a chance to actually play to know what to tweak it to. sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Playing against ai was another thing I heard a lot while playing last night, mainly because we don't have enough people to get a huge game going... but I don't think they get that the ofp ai doesn't come pre scripted to know how to do that.

After reading your post I have decided to work full time on the AI to get something nice going there.  Thanks for your suggestions!

Doolittle