Sign in to follow this  
Wonder

New a-10 or an f-16

I've been weighing the possibility to carry out my long-time dream to make my first fighter addon. It's actually a matter of getting all the pieces together. Many modmakers have made some useful stuff, which could be implemented. I would like to credit/apalogize to these people in advance!

I will try to implement the following features:

-Animated&functional canopy

-Automatic flares comparable to Footmunch's planes

-Multiple weapon types

-Bitching Betty

-HUD&working gauges

-RWR à la DKM

-Custom sounds mostly ripped from combat sims

-Ejection seat

-ECM

-Moving map display by DKM

-Cluster Bombs

-Cannon smoke effects

Of course this project is not going to be carried out if I won't get the appropriate permissions to use these features.

I'm going to need a lot of help on this one, because this really will be my first addon.

Now... for the question... Which aircraft should I make?

A-10:

The BIS A-10 is pretty outdated, when you look at all the other aircraft addons that have been coming out. So maybe it's time to make a new one.

Armament:

GAU-8 Avenger

2 AIM-9M Sidewinders on the outmost starboad pylon

ECM-pod on the other side

6 Mavericks

2 LAU-3 pods

6 MK-20 Rockeyes

I will try to find or compose a sound file that mimics the sound of the ferocious GAU-8, It should have the same RRRRRRIIIIPPPING sound you've heard in the video clips.

The armour level of this aircraft will also simulate the real thing. This plane sneezes at .50 bullets and you'll need a lot more than a stinger to bring it down. The pilot will also be better protected in the cockpit.

F-16C

This plane may be a bit easier to create, since all the sounds can be found from Falcon 4. It's merely a matter of creating the 3d-model and putting the pieces together. Here's what i had in mind

Air defence:

6 Amraams, 2 fuel tanks ECM pod

CAS:

4 Sidewinders, 6 Maverics, 6 Rockeyes, ECM pod

The cannons on both aircraft will be using the HE effect, since they're usually loaded with mixture of AP and HE rounds, and even an AP round kicks a huge cloud of dust, when it hits the ground.

I voted A10..i really don´t like the BIS model (the edgy Cockpit canopy is a Pain in the Ass)

And it also could need some nice scripts too.

Hope you will make the A10, would luv to see a new version for OFP.

Good luck wink_o.gif

I voted for A10 also because the BIS version lets down the true power and toughness of the plane

I say F-16, since there are allready some guys (including me) working on a new A-10 smile_o.gif

I voted A-10 'cos as said before the one made by BIS is kind of outdated and lacks horsepower and different ammo loadouts, as for the F-16c (and this is my personnel opinion) I think its way too fast for the OFP islands,the best planes for OFP are CAS oriented planes,and if theres more ppl making A-10's...well the more the merrier ;)

Bought  biggrin_o.gif  , but i voted F16-c. As long it's as good as RAD F18 with some nice features like eject seat and afterburn  (hint). I do think F-16s (or F-18s) are good for OFP island (m2). Just use your trothle. I can land a F18 on Falklands Hermes (with brake sript), you just need some good joystick. Let's hope it will be a F16, altought if it's gonna be a better a-10 than BIS, i'll DL. Good luck.

I can land a F18 on Falklands Hermes (with brake sript), you just need some good joystick. Let's hope it will be a F16, altought if it's gonna be a better a-10 than BIS, i'll DL. Good luck.

I tried doing so, but the 4th time I slammed into the carrier making myself a human missile, I decided I'd stick to the helos. smile_o.gif

Personnally, I voted F-16C... But PLEASE do not make the speeds realistic at starting points. I remember trying out a MiG-29 add-on, and I was going 1550 MPH as soon as the game started... WAY too fast for OFP. Please, keep starting speeds under 450. Make it as fast as IRL when you step-up the throttle, but starting speed around that would be appreciated.

It would be nice to see an A-10 with mucho amounts of options, but the F-16 just seems more attractive. Just MHO.

I voted for A10 also because the BIS version lets down the true power and toughness of the plane

True, true.

Plus the islands are very "small".

A grey A10 please.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

I vote for the A-10 because there are already good F-16 and AV-8B models out there by Vit, the problems with these aircraft are largely in the config and I passionately believe that marrying these models to refined configs with all the newest scripting effects (Including VTOL/STOL) would produce top class addons.

However before that I'd say to cut your teeth on the A-10.

I was actually going to do an A-10 but can't find the time to play OFP anymore never mind addon make.

Heres some things that I'm convinced should be in any decent A-10 pack.

1.Infantry smoke/flare script- Something like Snypirs support pack mixed with BAS CAS script where a player places a marker (laser/flare/IR probe/smoke) and a CAS A-10 carrying LGBS or JDAMS is spawned to hit the co-ordinates.

2. Forward air control OA-10A- to take advantage of above script and for MP, loadout for FAC A-10 is usually AIM-9s, Smoke rockets and laser designator pod (I know the latter was tested and approved, don't know if it was ever used, it would have the advantage of automatically enhancing the accuracy of all guided weapons fired at the target.)

3.Maximum Ordnance load A-10s- The full list of weapons available for the A-10 (circa 2000) includes, MK82 500lb (28 max), AGM-65 (max 10), MK84 1000lb (16 max), CBU-87 (8max), CBU-52/71 (16max), it can also carry 20mm Gun pods, rocket pods and various ECM pods.

So theres a lot of room for variants wink_o.gif

4. AGM-65B- TV guided Mavericks, I figure it should be possible either to control a missile while its in a bomb cam (talk to footmunch) or more drastically setpos the player to a "driver" position in the missile and setpos them back to the cockpit prior to impact...the plane should be ok once its in the right attitude when you launch.

5. A-10B- I've only ever seen one picture of a two seater A-10 and I believe it was a one off prototype, it would however have the following benefits: Clan Crew training, reduced human player workload in MP/SP missions, it looks good.

I think I will scale the airspeeds down a bit. The speeds in ofp are shown in Km/h, but you will have to think in knots. For example the speed of sound is approximately 660kts, or around 1200km/h, but won't have to do 1200km/m to break the sound barrier... just 660km/h ...you'll just have to think in knots, when flying.

The goal is to achieve the quality level of Hudson's F/A-18. Better than G8's, Better than VIT's ...I know it might be too ambitious for a first addon.

I voted for the viper, because the one's by vit kinda look funny around the nose and landing gear. The BIS A-10's not bad, you can make repaints of it, and with a little bit of config changes, you could make it more realistic.

Mmm...dreaming of a nice new A10. Lots of different loadouts. Make sure to do a FAC version with WP rockets. And a "zoomed aiming view" like the DKM Bronco, the Mi-28 and some other aircraft has.

<sarcasm mode>

And add a lot of "useful" visual goodies that are activated through at least five to twenty different action menu items. Most important of all - do make sure to check that the "Eject" action cannot be reached unless you scroll down for ten  minutes. But hey, at least I'll have a friggin animated cigarette lighter in the cockpit. wink_o.gif

You know who you are, addon makers...

</sarcasm mode>

Ejecting is for wussies anyway! wink_o.gif

Tough question though, the BIS Warthog could do with a make over, but a hi quality Viper would rock. Flip a coin!

The Viper, being a multi purpose jet, is credible as a ground pounder to. As much as i agree with the people who say that OFP island arent ideal for real jet fighter type scenarios, I still dont think this should stop people from making them. And it hasnt so far considering all the great planes that have been created uptill now. They spiced up my OFP! Whatever plane you choose to make, go for playable eye candy, and i'll download it for sure!

Anyway, good luck with making your first addon

f16

firstly because most addons that come out are pretty new therefore i believe the a10 is old and getting replaced soon

and ive yet to c a addon made plane not swoop down wen ai is piloting them

the bis a10 doesnt seem to swoop down wen dropping its ordinates therefore i believe u should make a f16 that actually properly drops its ordinates like the bis a10

adding snypirs sp mp support scripts would be good also

a10, for same reason mentioned a couple of posts up; the islands are too small for fast f16s , and i like the interaction of the slow a10 with groundforces.

Maybe we could all get together to make a high-quality Warthog!

It's better to put all this work together and make one decent A-10 than a dozen semi-decent ones.

This way I would have more time to make that Viper smile_o.gif

only a reskin... it also replaces your "official" laserguided.pbo

ruff: swooping how do you mean? if you mean diving slightly (or not as is the case) then whats wrong with that? watch footage and you will see that they dont actually need to as their onboard computers will calculate it automatically... CCIP or CCRP for example

The F-16 seems more and more interesting, since there already are people making a new A-10. Also the F-16 Is replacing the A-10 in the CAS role.

I might make a CAS F-16 with a GAU-13 GPU-5/A or GEPOD-30 on the centerline station for tank busting. The GAU-13 is a lighter 4-barrel version of the GAU-8.

The problem is, i don't know if the engine allows another bullet spawnpoint. Maybe i could define it as a rocket spawn point the way DKM did with the cannon pods on the Mi-28.

Another challenge is that the F-16 has a sidestick and a semi-reclined seat, which means I'll have to create a whole new pilot animation.

For the vulcan I've decided to give it a little bit of spread... not too much, just a little, as to make air-to-air gunnery a bit easier. The Vulcan is primarily an air-to-air cannon, but I will give it the power to destroy most APCs and IFVs in the game. The colour of the tracers will be bright orange, so you can better see where they're flying against the bright sky.

The Vulcan sound is another problem. I will be using the looping sound from F4, but i'm tempted to add the acceleration phase too. One solution would be making a long enough sound, that you'll run out of rounds before the sound is done playing. The problem is I don't know if the playback could be interrupted when you release the trigger, or will it just keep on playing the sound.

The damage system will also be reworked. Most of the time a direct missile hit won't destroy the plane, but it will do some critical damage. You may still have half the armoud left, when the burning script kicks in, the engines stop working, and the bitching betty goes "Warning - Warning"... time to bail out, hotshot!

You'll also run out of fuel after a half an hour of flying.

I don't think I will implement the afterburner script because:

-It adds yet another action in the action menu.

-You could accelerate to unrealistic speeds with it

-It's only a momentary boost

-You don't turn on the afterburner on a separate switch in real life, you just punch the throttle forward.

Also the bombcam script is more trouble than of use:

-you might crash the plane while admiring the bomb

-another action in the menu

-if you want to see if it hit the target, do a flyover for BDA "Bomb Damage Assesment", like they do IRL

Also the CBU altitude will be fixed to a certain value. I'll try to make it like the CBUs on Footmunch's Sandy.

Hmmmm, why the poll if you're going to ignore it and make an F-16?

especially when more people want a new A-10 then F-16