Sign in to follow this  
SnypaUK

Armoured personnell carriers

In ofp 2 Armoured personell carriers should work differently.

1. instead of just popping out of the back you should be able to watch the door open then a scripted camera movement /or not, would have you run out of the back and move a few metres away and drop to the floor or once your out the player takes control immediateley which would probably be better. this would also look very good if you were watching it too

2. the APCs should roll to a halt with a nice judder then disgorge their load all the AI players would run to a preassigned spot then drop down. this behaviour should also be imlemented with helos

3. APCs should be made a bit less vulnerable to laws because its hard to implement them cuz one RPG/LAW and your screwed

4. APCs should put down tons of suppressing fore when youre disembarking. No reason its just cool.

5. they should roll to a halt in cover or in a rough formation not drill square perfect. btw this also applies to infantry their line formations should be a bit less raggedy in a firefight and same with their columns its disturbingly perfect

The first and second points are essentially cosmetic, although it is decidedly odd the way that soliders seem to stand on each other's shoulders as they get out of trucks and APCs. The ability to open the rear doors adds the possibility that the game might impliment a 'throw grenade into hatch of armoured vehicle' command; it always seemed a shame that you could shoot the 'turned-out' crewmembers but not clamber onto the deck and lever open the hatch, a la 'Saving Private Ryan'. This is probably quite far back on BIS' list of things to do, though.

The issue with APCs rolling to a halt seems related to the 'ice-rink' physics used by armoured vehicles in the game; although it would be clever if an empty APC rides faster than a full one, as twelve soldiers and their kit and ammo must weigh a tonne or more.

Suppressive fire would be superb, and is something the game needs more of. If I was a gunner in an M113 - a vulnerable, tall, slab-sided furnace - I would spray machine-gun bullets into every doorway and bush I could see, rather than pickily engage individual targets.

I find the vulnerability of the APCs adds a certain frisson to driving them, and indeed this is why the 'IFV' concept of the BMP was only a mixed success, as the vehicles were too vulnerable. Kegety's modified RPG-7, which took one and a half hits (depending on placement) nonetheless seemed a bit more fair, although this would require an overhaul of the whole damage model / weapon strength balance, and it remains to be seen whether OPF2 will go that far. After all, the sequel could end up like the endless 'Rainbow Six' series, with minor, incremental updates to a proven engine.

Formations need a lot of work. Many is the time I've ordered my troops to form a line, and they do, but they form it in line with my heading, facing to my left or right. *OR*, they crawl around in front of me, blocking my fire. *OR* they run on ahead, and when I stop they mince backwards like nancy-boys. I don't want to command nancy-boys. I want to command trained killers who know (a) where to look and (b) how to move like John Travolta when he was thin © when not to do so.

well its not purely cosmetic though... as when they scatter its for the reason of getting clear of any potential blasts... less chance of taking the whole squad out. dispersing so as to present less of a target

forget tactics it does look cool in real life that is what its for but frankly the enemy hardly ever uses explosions on you anyway

the AI might not but humans do... besides, how many times in MP have you been getting out to have your AI stand there like idiots and then for another player on the other team hit it with an AT? i know ive seen it happen more than a few times

I know thats why im suggesting it they just stand their like lemons wating to be killed

Anyway on the humans i hardly ever play OFP on MP so i wouldnt know

it'd be wicked if you were in an transport plane and the pilot opens the door and you lose that loudmouthed asshole out the back

hee hee hee

A 'frisson' is a little shiver you get when something is a bit risky or scary (driving forward in an M1A1 I feel invulnerable, I shrug off rockets; but in a captured BMP, I could be killed at any time, and I understand why soldiers have a love/hate relationship with armour).

perhaps they should have to make a command to make a unit invulnerable then that would solve the problem of the players APC getting blown to pieces or you could increase the armour on APCs so they can take one and a half hits then they dont kill so easily but theyre not invulnerable

when your riding in an APC and the AIs driving even if you are the most incredible player in the world you cant do a thing if some russian takes a potshot at ur vehicle with his RPG so there should be a bit of sympathy it would make good fun having mechanised infantry storm a village under a rain of suppressing fire from their apcs

Why would you be riding in an APC when there are hostiles around? Get out and walk! There are no well-designed missions where you *have* to be in the back of an apc with enemies around.

Can a rpg really blow up an APC like the M113 or BMP and kill all crew and 12 passengers rock.gif , i mean i believe the damage such a weapon will do depends on where the user hits but i tend to believe the rpg/law would disable the vehical and injure most of the passengers instead of blowing everything up rock.gif

Thats why i hope the reloadable LAW not to be part of OPF2, i want all the realism i can get and that includes realistically modeled weapons and armor smile_o.gif .

thats why i proposed changes in the first place it fucks me off especially in mission editing where a random patrol screws it all up.

If bis put in crew served missile launchers it would put more emphasis on them

I'd like to see the eject command used for all carried dismounted soldiers when the vehicle comes under fire and the unit is set to a specific combat status (like "Combat" or "Aware".) Of course, the vehicle would have to come to a complete stop, but I know when I was mechanized, our squad would be able to unass from the vehicle within 2 or 3 seconds. Right now it seems to take about one second per soldier.

OFP2-suggestions for APC's/IFV's.

If it's got infantry firing ports. Make 'em useable. Theres nothing that shits me more than when seeing a skinny with an RPG lining the BMP I'm sitting in the back of throgh a gunport, and not being able to  shoot the prick through it. That happened to me today, and I wasn't happy.

Basically, smoke 'em if ya got'em. If ya can't use em, don't have 'em.