Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

The american dream

Well, when I marry, I want at least one parent to stay at home w/ the kids once we have them. And if that means I get to be a stay at home and give up my career, so be it. To me, the children and the stable household are a lot more important than expanding my wealth.

But then, maybe that's just b/c I was raised that way. Family was always the most important thing in my house, and I want to make sure my children feel the same.

You said "ass" in your essay.  crazy_o.gif

Not me, Denior did! biggrin_o.gif It was part of a quote, so I just decided to keep it in there.

My English teacher is just a few years in teaching ( This is his third year), so he's a bit more laid back. Nearly all of my teachers don't mind if you use some swearing here and there, as long as it contributes to the point you are trying to make. biggrin_o.gif

50's-60's Get a stable job, buy a house, marry and read about James Bond type lifestyles

The dream of the 50's may look like a simple dream, but today it's much harder to achieve than back in those days.

Here in the netherlands house prices have skyrocketed. sad_o.gif Even if you're a couple and both have fulltime jobs, buying a house has become almost impossible. At best you can get a small appartment in a bad neighbourhood. Having one of the parents stay home to take care of the children is not an option. You just *need* both fulltime jobs to be able to pay the mortage or rent.

Finding a job is also harder and if you do find one, it probably wont be a stable one. In the old days people would get a job when they were young and keep that job until they retired.

On the positive side: luxury things like computers, TV's, DVD players, etc, have become much cheaper. But the basic things like a nive place to live are much harder to get. Young people hardly reach the level of wealth of their parents anymore. This is so frustrating... mad_o.gif

Actually, in America its easier to get a nice place to lives, nice home, nice land these days. You wouldn't believe it ( I mean the people in the big cities wouldn't ) but places like here in bellingham, Washington, oh jesus, its nice here and I mean you can get a small house with enough land on the coast for the average price of around 70,000 to 160,000 American Dollars, anywayz, ya.........

Jeez, i'm 17 and already looking to buy a home crazy_o.gif

Actually, in America its easier to get a nice place to lives, nice home, nice land these days.  You wouldn't believe it ( I mean the people in the big cities wouldn't ) but places like here in bellingham, Washington, oh jesus, its nice here and I mean you can get a small house with enough land on the coast for the average price of around 70,000 to 160,000 American Dollars, anywayz, ya.........

Jeez, i'm 17 and already looking to buy a home  crazy_o.gif

You pay 70-160k USD for a house...........made out of WOOD crazy_o.gif

Give me a brick/concrete house any day rock.gif

Interesting song sung by bob dylan and willie nelson about "The american dream"smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]There's a home place under fire tonight in the heartland,

And the bankers are takin' my home and my land from me.

There's a big achin' hole in my chest now where my heart was,

And a hole in the sky where God used to be.

There's a home place under fire tonight in the heartland,

There's a well with water so bitter nobody can drink.

Ain't no way to get high and my mouth is so dry that I can't speak.

Don't they know that I'm dyin', why nobody cryin' for me?

My American dream

Fell apart at the seams.

You tell me what it means,

You tell me what it means.

There's a home place under fire tonight in the heartland,

The bankers are takin' my home and my land away.

There's a young boy closin' his eyes tonight in the heartland

Who will wake up a man with a home and a loan he can't pay.

His American dream

Fell apart at the seams.

My American dream

Fell apart at the seams.

You pay 70-160k USD for a house...........made out of WOOD crazy_o.gif

Give me a brick/concrete house any day rock.gif

There are plenty of those for cheap in the U.S. too. You usually only see them in areas of extreme weather though, like the New England area.

What's wrong with wood? It protects from the elements just as well, except for tornadoes and the like. And if you have problems with them, well, I dont know if brick is going to save you. Plus, wood is a lot cheaper and easier to build with (at least with the contractor we hired. i dont know if they ever built any house that was not wood-framed).

Not that I disagree with you, I want my house, when I get one of my own, to be brick or stone. But that's still a good way off, and wood works fine. And if there's one thing I hate its uncovered cinderblock. That's got to be one of the ugliest surfaces you could imagine, and I had to stay in a dorm where all the walls were just white-painted cinderblock. Ugh!

You pay 70-160k USD for a house...........made out of WOOD  crazy_o.gif

Give me a brick/concrete house any day  rock.gif

The house I am living in is a 2500sq. ft. (225 square meters?) brick house on 5 acres we bought for 110k USD. I am in the middle of Oklahoma though, so I doubt you could get it that cheap anywere else.  wink_o.gif