Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Swedish foreign minister attacked

One don't have to be dull to be a good politician.

Exactly, she was one of the only Swedish politicians that could actually be serious about something and still laugh whilst discussing. Take for instance Carl Bildt, he is a great politician. But you can't really identify with him since he is a bit (read: very) stiff.

Not in private. He's one of the most intellectual politicians I've met, you can pick up just about any subject you want and he has an opinion about it. This may seem strange to some but I felt almost the same as when I talked to Olof Palme(though I was too small to have a truelly deep talk). They were quite alike while being on the different sides of the spectrum.

Actually I've had similar talks with Lindh. When I recently had a short talk with Fredrik Reinfeldt(soon to be party leader of M) it felt like he could be a leader of the same calibre as Bildt(and Palme).

(btw, personally i would remove the link to the t-shirt "joke", we already know those guys lack any tact and empathy)

BM

Of course he is intelligent, but that is part of why he is "stiff" he comes off kinda dull. Thus "stiff" He is very intelligent. I never said nor thought something else of him wink_o.gif

The Police arrested a drunk man after someone thought he looked like the stabber and called the Police. But apparently he had been in custody during the attack so he was released and is no longer a suspect.

Another 32-year-old was arrested yesterday but was released of reasons that aren't public.

They have a constant changing list of known violent criminals that they are interested in.

I was upset to hear this. I just cannot identify with people who want to **** up the world in this manner. Of all the politicians you could assasinate why her? Absolute madness crazy_o.gif

udtak298.jpg

It is warming to see the condolences from around the world, here on this forum, on BBC and news in general. Thanks.

Flowers

I think the Swedish politicians have to think about the way they deal with their own security in an open society like Sweden. sad_o.gif

More importantly, I think the Swedish society needs to think about how we deal with lunatics and repeat offenders.

This is not the first time someone went apesheit and killed people. This is just the first time a politician was the victim.

But this is what we get for releasing mentally ill people into society, without any form of follow up or care. Its also what we get, for letting criminals take leave from jail sentances, and for letting repeat offenders roam society at will.

Anna Lindh would probably be alive today if we werent so dang naive.

My condolences to the victim´s family and the Swedish people, from a saddened neighbor.

The murderer met Anna Lindh on another floor of the mall, where the cameras were recording, so they have him on tape now which is really good.

They won't show the pictures of him for a while because they don't want to ruin witnesses' upcoming reports which was a mistake during the Palme case.

For the Swedes:

[*] Aftonbladet article

[*] DN article - Mördaren kan finnas pa NK-film

In English:

[*] DN article - The murderer may be caught on camera

(Edit: More links added.)

More importantly, I think the Swedish society needs to think about how we deal with lunatics and repeat offenders.

This is not the first time someone went apesheit and killed people. This is just the first time a politician was the victim.

But this is what we get for releasing mentally ill people into society, without any form of follow up or care. Its also what we get, for letting criminals take leave from jail sentances, and for letting repeat offenders roam society at will.

Anna Lindh would probably be alive today if we werent so dang naive.

**rant mode**

Just watch out to come in contact with psychology yourself at any time. If you do, chanses are that you will learn really good how to become a mentally disturbed person - its an art like anything, and some of our pretty institutions teach the art really good.

Psychology, like Nazi ideology, is becoming less and less popular in our society, when their rational goes up in the thin air they are made of - even though we are really addicted to it yet...

/**rant mode**

Sorry for that. It was really nothing personal. But I really can't stand the mentally disturbed rethorics. One cannot generalize to say that all psychology is negative - especially not for curing the diseases psychology itself has created - , but unfortionally much of it is a disease in our society sprung out of the modernity-project.

Sorry again, but I guess that some of us get some 'frustrations to project at something else' (as a psychologist would have said) from this happening. Its really not flaming thus, and is nothing dangerous  wink_o.gif

They have a lot of witnesses and a tape of the killer now. They however still don't have a clue about who it is. All they have is a profile. When they presented it this morning I would have laughed if it wasn't so sad:

Profile:

[*] Emotionally unstable

[*] Has a previous criminal record

[*] Is fascinated by knives

That my friends is the result of hours of work from our wonderful police. Fucking morons...

Give it some time, they are checking finger prints and DNA from his gear and are checking up some suspects.

"Just watch out to come in contact with psychology yourself at any time. If you do, chanses are that you will learn really good how to become a mentally disturbed person - its an art like anything, and some of our pretty institutions teach the art really good.

Psychology, like Nazi ideology, is becoming less and less popular in our society, when their rational goes up in the thin air they are made of - even though we are really addicted to it yet..."

I am quite aware of all this. My grandmother was in a Swedish institution during the late 40's, early 50's. She got to experience first hand water and electric therapy. They probably fead her all kind of nifty drugs to. My uncle was diagnosed with shizofrenia at age 15, it took him some 10 years to become "normal", or as close to it. I guess he is one of the lucky ones though.

But I still think its wrong to let mentally disturb people that are a potential threat to themselves and others to walk around in society without some kind of control applied to it. Be it a personal assistant, or having them semi confined to an institution similar to where we care for our elderly.

I do NOT think its right to just put them in an apartment and expect them to be able to behave according to societys norms. Because many of them clearly cant cope with that.

I am not saying we should lock them up in padded rooms and feed them lithium. We should however not just put them in an apartment and forget about them.

I agree. I saw a documentary they showed today about mental care. I was frankly appalled. They're actually kicking out people that seek help into the streets. I never thought this was possible in Sweden.

They said that basically if a peson knows his name and age then they won't help him and release him. I'm deeply ashamed that such things can happen in our coutntry that is supposed to be socially progressive.

These people need professional help and not to be homeless. So much for the "Swedish model", eh?

There aren't enough resources unfortunately sad_o.gif Hospitals of all kinds need more money.

Exactly. Many homeless are homeless because they are mentally incapable of living in our society the way we expect them to. In return, we just forget about them and let them roam the streets.

Then we get shocked when someone snaps and kills someone, or rapes a kid. I mean, come on. Its our own dang fault for atleast not trying to deal with it. All because "its wrong to institutionalise". Bull. Like all other things, you can do it two ways: good or bad. We did it bad. Cant we atleast try doing it good?

If it turns out that a homeless, mentally disturbed man did it then we'll probably see some quick radical changes.

I'm personally not too convinced that it was but the police seems to think that since they've been arresting homeless people all over Stockholm today. So far they've had no luck and they've released all of them.

"There aren't enough resources unfortunately Hospitals of all kinds need more money."

I think this is BS, to be frank. Its a matter of priority.

Cut down on some of the expenses spent on the jails, they are friggin resorts all ready and interns are better off than school kids and elderly. Then we got some money there.

Plan projects better, dont spend millions on modernising places like the F10 airforce base just to close it down the next year. Or trying to drill through a friggin ridge like Hallandsåsen just to gain 7 minutes of travel time on train.

Am I generalising? Yep. Simplifying? Sure.

But, its still a matter of looking at the expenses, and as it is, we are wasting money every dang day that could be better spent elsewhere.

And, at the end of the day, this is the point: Do we want a society where the weak and sick are left to fend for themselves, a potential harm to anyone they come across? No, we dont. So we HAVE to solve it.

But I still think its wrong to let mentally disturb people that are a potential threat to themselves and others to walk around in society without some kind of control applied to it. Be it a personal assistant, or having them semi confined to an institution similar to where we care for our elderly.

I do NOT think its right to just put them in an apartment and expect them to be able to behave according to societys norms. Because many of them clearly cant cope with that.

I am not saying we should lock them up in padded rooms and feed them lithium. We should however not just put them in an apartment and forget about them.

Yeah; I know  sad_o.gif

A lecturer I had some years ago was himself guilty of promoting that 'go out and live a normal life when you have aready learned that you are just a nasty fucking virus' policy in the 70's.

Yeah, It's an responsibility of our whole society to take care of those pepole destroyed by the psychology-disease. It's not an easy problem to deal with though, especially since psychological rationality is still going strong...

I jiust reacted towards what I saw as an 'kill all those lunatics' post... Sorry  crazy_o.gifmad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  rock.gif  smile_o.gif  blues.gif

"There aren't enough resources unfortunately  Hospitals of all kinds need more money."

Cut down on some of the expenses spent on the jails, they are friggin resorts all ready and interns are better off than school kids and elderly. Then we got some money there.

Exactly... They get better food than they do in schools, which is almost sick... what a "punishment". Jails should be less comfortable.. some people with screwed up lives commit crimes to get in jail. Both mental and regular hospitals could make use of some of the money wasted there.

It says that a picture of the suspect is being spread amongst police officers tonight.

Hopefully that will help... if the quality is good enough...

"There aren't enough resources unfortunately  Hospitals of all kinds need more money."

Exactly... They get better food than they do in schools, which is almost sick... what a "punishment". Jails should be less comfortable.. some people with screwed up lives commit crimes to get in jail. Both mental and regular hospitals could make use of some of the money wasted there.

I think that's a very short sighted view on the penalty institutions. Imprisonment is based on two factors:

-the society's need for revenge.

-the society's need for rehabilitating the offender.

Of course there are no given answers to the degree of punishment or the condition of imprisonment.

And do not forget that the most serious way of punishing is isolation from society and denial of freedom of movement.

You can forget about your assumption of imprisonment being a holiday camp. It's strictly disiplinary and controled.

I'm a firm believer in stricter punishment (longer sentences) but I do not want to create monsters in those institutions. When people have payed for their wrongdoings I'd feel a lot more confident if their treatment in prison was reasonable - whatever that may be!

R.I.P.

Remembers me of the murder in Holland... hopefully they will get the guy that did this too!   mad_o.gif

I think that's a very short sighted view on the penalty institutions. Imprisonment is based on two factors:

-the society's need for revenge.

-the society's need for rehabilitating the offender.

Of course there are no given answers to the degree of punishment or the condition of imprisonment.

And do not forget that the most serious way of punishing is isolation from society and denial of freedom of movement.

You can forget about your assumption of imprisonment being a holiday camp. It's strictly disiplinary and controled.

I'm a firm believer in stricter punishment (longer sentences) but I do not want to create monsters in those institutions. When people have payed for their wrongdoings I'd feel a lot more confident if their treatment in prison was reasonable - whatever that may be!

Food of school quality or below won't make them monsters.

Food of school quality or below won't make them monsters.

I didn't say that - and I think you know what I mean!

By the way - a few years ago there was a prisonrevolt here in Norway - because the prisoners were given rotten food!