Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Swedish foreign minister attacked

Our Prime Minister really had a hard time keeping his tears back. sad_o.gif

A loss of a great politician and a mother of 2 sad_o.gifsad_o.gif

It's almost like when I woke up to the news of Palme but this time I was prepared of course. With the news on liver damage I was worried it would lead to coma or death and my worst fears came true.

Sad to see this. It is I guess the risc you have to take when seeking the top leadership in a country, it shouldn't be but it is.

BM

I'd like to offer my condolence to the swedish people.

This is truly a sad day!

I knew briefly about her role in the swedish political life as most scandinavians do.

A sad sad day - and a truly sad day for our traditional open scandinavian society!

sad_o.gif

Why? Such a promising future, one of the few politicians you could trust and identify with today. A sad day for Swedish politics. sad_o.gif

This is a great loss for Sweden on many levels.

We have lost one of our most appriciated and respected politicians. She was respected by all regardless of political views. She was a down to earth, passionate, intelligent person. Such qualities are rare in today's politicians and that makes the loss even greater.

But we have not only lost Anna. We have lost a fundamental principle in our society. In Sweden we have always valued the openness of our society. There is no barrier between the politicians and the people. They are truly of the people, by the people and for the people. And as such they have never had to fear the people. It's normal here in Stockholm to see ministers and mp:s in the subway or in stores. I saw for instance our minister of integration, Mona Sahlin the other day on the subway. And that is the way it is supposed to be.

And that is what we have also lost.

We have also lost a very competent foregin minister. She was never afraid to state Sweden's position in the international community. And she did it in a straight-forward way.

We have lost a lot today... sad_o.gif

Obituary: Anna Lindh (BBC)

Quote[/b] ]

_39321988_filepic_ap_203.jpg

Anna Lindh was one of Sweden's most popular politicians and was tipped as a likely successor to Prime Minister Goran Persson.

The 46-year-old foreign minister had a reputation for competence and consistence and won plaudits for her negotiating skills.

She grabbed the international limelight during Sweden's 2001 presidency of the European Union, when she toured the world's hotspots with senior European Commission diplomats.

A vehement pro-European, she was at the heart of the government's campaign to win a sceptical public round to euro membership.

Commentators had suggested her personal popularity could have been a significant factor in tipping public opinion, prompting one newspaper to crown her the "Yes Queen".

Rising star

An active Social Democrat politician since her early 20s, Ms Lindh rose rapidly through the party.

She joined parliament in 1982 and became chair of the party's youth league.

She later joined the party's policy-making executive committee.

She won her first cabinet post in 1994 as minister for the environment and had been heading the foreign ministry since 1998.

Married to another senior politician, Civil Affairs Minister Bo Holmberg, she had two sons.

Edit:

Attack on Swedish way of life (BBC)

I just got in to work, so this is the first I heard of her death.

I honetsly don't know what to say.

I am saddened, angry and somewhat afraid of the consequences.

My thoughts go out to her family. And I hope by God that we get this bastard that did this. And I so hope he resists arrest and has to be shot and killed because Swedish justice is no where near what this guy has coming.

My condolences to Sweden and the Swedish ppl.

Sad news to hear she passed away sad_o.gif

I am sorry. I look to Sweden an Scandinavia in general as the epitomy of a country unrestricted and with complete freedom. This event will lead to less openess i'm sure. It has happened all over the world, the action of one individual will be instrumental in the creation of restrictions on the average person.

My sincere sympathy for anyone who may have new this person, she sounded like 1 in a million.

Swedes: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,359147,00.html

It basically says that a guy saw someone ressembling the suspect vandalising a campaign poster with Anna Lindh on a couple of hours before the killing.

If true, and if it is the same guy, it kind of supports the looney / junkie theory. However, what are the chances that the same guy would actually stumble across Anna Lindh while shopping? Quite small. But wierder things do happen.

I also remember hearing something once about killers choice of weapon. Knifes are, presumebly, very personal weapons when killing somone. Often used in crimes of passion or crimes of opportunity. If it was some kind of organised or planned attack, I'd think they'd use a gun. But, you never know.

At any rate, I still feel a bit stunned.

Whatever the current speculations about the motive are, i still think this murder is political/€uro related ...

Swedes: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,359147,00.html

It basically says that a guy saw someone ressembling the suspect vandalising a campaign poster with Anna Lindh on a couple of hours before the killing.

If true, and if it is the same guy, it kind of supports the looney / junkie theory. However, what are the chances that the same guy would actually stumble across Anna Lindh while shopping? Quite small. But wierder things do happen.

I also remember hearing something once about killers choice of weapon. Knifes are, presumebly, very personal weapons when killing somone. Often used in crimes of passion or crimes of opportunity. If it was some kind of organised or planned attack, I'd think they'd use a gun. But, you never know.

At any rate, I still feel a bit stunned.

I don't know if you've read this:

Polisen: Det var inget vansinnesd?d

(In Swedish, sorry) It's about the police not thinking that it was a lunatic.

Hadn't read that article. Interesting. I just hope they nail him, no matter what his reasons were. Guess I just want something to make sense in a load of confusion.

I just can't understand that nobody stopped him and that he hasn't been caught yet. NK is packed with people at 16:00. You don't just stab people in the center of Stockholm and get away. I just don't get it.

Truly a sad day!

My prayers goes to Anna Lindhs family and also to all who lost their loved ones two years ago in USA.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Rest in peace Anna Lindh      

You will never be forgotten

En svensk tragedi utan tveckan sad_o.gif

I realy hope the nail the guy

"I just can't understand that nobody stopped him and that he hasn't been caught yet. NK is packed with people at 16:00. You don't just stab people in the center of Stockholm and get away. I just don't get it."

I agree, its quite odd. However, providing he took her out quite fast and then moved away and legged it, he could have slipped away and lost the few that followed him.

It can happen quite fast.

But still, whenever I go to a mall these days I see security guards all over the place. Where were they now? Very odd. Never a cop around when you need one, eh?

Tragic news. As already said, it's not even just the loss of one life (as tragic as that already is), but a loss of innocence and a way of life for a whole country. Hope they crucify the nutjob who did this.

Just a few minutes ago a five year old girl was stabbed in her daycare center somewere south of Stockholm. The police can't outrule that it was somehow inspired by the murder on Annah Lindh.

And I certainly hope that Sweden can maintain it's openess but still keep the ministers relatively safe. I mean in what other country can you see the ex-PM riding his bike down the street. And were else can you see the leader of a prominent political party riding the subway during rush-hour?