Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Swedish foreign minister attacked

Just a few minutes ago a five year old girl was stabbed in her daycare center somewere south of Stockholm. The police can't outrule that it was somehow inspired by the murder on Annah Lindh.

[...]

mad_o.gif Now that's more than sick! Mankind reaches new lows every day, and now even in good old Sweden.

Im very sad to hear of the death sad_o.gif ,

but im not really so surprised that the perpetrator got away (in the short term at least). How many people will have actually seen the attack close up (its severity etc), a handful? And of those most would likely be in shock, too afraid to act or not sure of what to do in the few seconds the attack must have taken .

I have personally experienced a seemingly random act of violence in a crowded public area and it seems most people are not immediatly willing to intervene in a violent confrontation they know nothing about (my attackers got away, most people in the area were unaware or unwilling to even acknowledge that someone had just been kicked, punched, and hit with a baseball bat right beside them in a shopping centre.)

Besides the clearly tragic nature of this event i cannot help but wonder how this will affect Swedens euro vote. It had been starting to look like the 'No' voters might win, now its hard to say what will happen. In a way it would be a nice tribute to Mrs. Lindh to see sweden in the eurozone but it cant be wise to base such a decision on a fatal stabbing like this. In fact if this if indeed politically motivated/influenced then it should really be classed as a terrorist attack. I wonder if Bush will be dedicating resources to fighting anti euro extremists in this theatre of the anti-terror war? (really it illustrates the craziness of declaring a -war- on a subjective label for violence such as 'terrorism')

That's a very sad and unnecessary tragedy. sad_o.gif

I was surprised that she was out without bodyguards. This attack could have been prevented!

The one who attacked had an army jacket...? rock.gif

Where was Denoir, does he have an alibi? wow_o.giftounge_o.gif

j/k

A tragical loss for Sweden. sad_o.gifunclegustaf.gifsad_o.gif

The surviellance cameras weren't rolling... Brilliant. The villain didn't just have a little bit of luck. Totally blows if they don't catch him. confused.gif

The surviellance cameras weren't rolling... Brilliant. The villain didn't just have a little bit of luck. Totally blows if they don't catch him. confused.gif

I think it's ineed strange that he slipped away. I really hope they catch him!

Hmm, it is certainly strange.

Well the cameras not going i hope is not a routine thing.

If security cameras are not going, the suspect knows where target will be in her free time indicating previous surveillance, it seems more like an organised hit. Also the fact that a knife was used sounds more sensible an alternative than a gun, in that mall there would be people who if they heard a gun would react, such as security guards upstairs and law enforcement would react faster. You can always say maybe a silenced gun would be used, but that would require more resources to attain for the same effect. Classic knife pattern, abdominal area and under armpits, suspect has some idea of human anatomy. It points a lot more to an organised hit than a random aggressive act.

Just my point of view.

NK, has "live" surveillance cameras witch means that don't record stuff. So the cameras probably catched it but didn't save it. If the man has been in jail before for two years or so, there's a good chanse he's namne is in the DNA register.

Yeah I was gonna post to correct my fault, I thought I read they weren't running but apparently they are just of that type that don't record, just play it for you on screens, pure survaillance.

And btw, he pushed her first, and then while she was on the floor he stabbed her. He wasn't really stealthy so I go with the Police's theory of a loner.

The security cameras were rolling, but they didn't record it on tape. Great. sad_o.gif

I never thought that she would ever be attacked. We don't know yet if it was political connected at all, but I think so. She was known here in Sweden for being one of the best and most competent ministers. It was said that she was the main candidate for the minister of state post if the current would step away.

About the camera's ....

I dont believe that a big fancy mall like that doesnt even use 1 timelapse ... i mean, how are they gonna prove anything if something would happen, like a theft or assault ....

sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif .....

She was not only an intelligent woman and a politician I liked farily much (well, as much as I like any other politician's professional role), but she was also a great candidate for the primeminister role in our representative democracy due to her great charisma. Call me cynical, but in representative democracies that's unfortionally one of the most important qualities. I recon most of us have dismissed some stupid/ugly looking politician only because of their apperarance in TV. Blair is great, Bush is not for example. She was definitely not a bimbo, and I often reflected over my own reaction when I saw her in that red or blue dress amongst all those male colleagues of her. She looked great, and she probably had quite some problems with people not liking what that symbilises in politics - but I'm sure that that also made many others view politics and politicians in a new way; one don't have to be dull to be a good politician.

Sorry if that comment pissed someone of, but that's the thing that really made her special in politics for me - not being a great supporter of representative democracy - and the thing I probably will remember her most for...

I had great respect for her, and her death means a great loss for her family and Sweden  sad_o.gif

The reason to why the surveillance cameras was not recording is that here in Sweden it´s not legal to do so in public places. Ironically thats what our politicians decided a few years ago to protect our personal integrity  sad_o.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

When I head she diead I was a bit sad today... you know, she seems like the kind of person without whom history(meaning future) of Sweden will probably be different than it could have been. If you know what I'm saying.

What if she did live we can ask ourselves... what if she wasn't attacked at all etc. Well, I do think though any bodyguard would have saved her life, she would have likely gotten stabbed once or a little, but not died. sad_o.gif This is too bad.

I was at Rosenbad (our parliament building) and placed flowers. I also went by NK (the store where she was attacked) and UD (our foreign affairs department). Lots of sad people. Lots of flowers.

Stockholm was a sad city today.

sad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gif

I wish her family and the entire country a lot of luck and strength.. and I hope they will get the guy who did this..

sad_o.gif

sad_o.gif

Seems Anna Lindh's death seems to have made quite an impact here in Norway too.

Last news I heard was that Norwegian security police have started evaluating the threat of something similar happening to Norwegian politicians also. Especially since it's so close to local elections. Seems that there's going to be an increased security presence at the balots

My condolences go to her family and the Swedish people

Seems that some people do have some nerve, I spotted this T-shirt for sale at a extreme right wing webshop:

VEGUanna.jpg

mad_o.gif

Absolutely terrible.. That isn't even worthy of a comment since that is what the bastards are looking for.

And I saw the pile of flowers infront of NK, I payed my respects in the little book there aswell. I still can't belive this.

One don't have to be dull to be a good politician.

Exactly, she was one of the only Swedish politicians that could actually be serious about something and still laugh whilst discussing. Take for instance Carl Bildt, he is a great politician. But you can't really identify with him since he is a bit (read: very) stiff.

One don't have to be dull to be a good politician.

Exactly, she was one of the only Swedish politicians that could actually be serious about something and still laugh whilst discussing. Take for instance Carl Bildt, he is a great politician. But you can't really identify with him since he is a bit (read: very) stiff.

Not in private. He's one of the most intellectual politicians I've met, you can pick up just about any subject you want and he has an opinion about it. This may seem strange to some but I felt almost the same as when I talked to Olof Palme(though I was too small to have a truelly deep talk). They were quite alike while being on the different sides of the spectrum.

Actually I've had similar talks with Lindh. When I recently had a short talk with Fredrik Reinfeldt(soon to be party leader of M) it felt like he could be a leader of the same calibre as Bildt(and Palme).

(btw, personally i would remove the link to the t-shirt "joke", we already know those guys lack any tact and empathy)

BM

I'm very sorry to hear of her death.  This is not only the loss of a good person, but a deep cultural loss for a free and open society like Sweden.  Its sad that these days even in small countries, the modern ugliness of larger countries is appearing.

I wonder what are the odds to find the assaillant?

I have understood that longer the murderer is loose,

more likely he will get away with it.

I saw on west-Swedish local news 'vastnytt' an interview with the one resposible for 'torgmöten' (square meetings? ) in 'Nordstan' shopping centre here in Gothenburg.

He said he was really surprised over that there was no securitymeasures what so ever when different political partyleaders held speeches there lately. They just arrived there as any street-musician and held their speeches.

On the other hand he was equally surprised over the extreme security measures when primeminister Göran Persson held a speech there recently...

The political security policies seems to have been quite wierd indeed  sad_o.gif