Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Swedish foreign minister attacked

Great  rock.gif

Swedish politicians never use bodyguards do they. For those who dont know, Swedish (quite controversal) primeminister Olof Palme was shot to death in 1986 after a cinema - to which he went with his wife but no bodyguard..

yes, i remember that shooting.

i guess sweden feels safe enough that politicians don't consider having bodyguards...

I can't believe that, it feels surreal. Why would anyone do that? Wtf is going on

aw, fuck.  mad_o.gif And she's one of the more competent people in our government.

She was apparently attacked while shopping in central Stockholm.

Edit: Well, at least the good news is that it looks that while the wounds are serious, they're not life-threatening.

Edit2: Here's an article in English

and yet the 1986 event didn't set a precedent ? in which world do you swedes live ?

-edit- i know nordic countries are generally safe , but heck , a minister isn't anybody

What was the motive, if any? Was it because she's pro-Euro? What a horrible thing to have happen. sad_o.gif

What was the motive, if any? Was it because she's pro-Euro? What a horrible thing to have happen. sad_o.gif

might be , the responsible could be a "national democrat"

They're speculating that it's related to the Euro election. She is one of the most pominent figures in the yes campaign. Lindh is generally very popular and seen as a competent and intelligent woman.

The PM and the royal family have bodyguards but not the other members of government. And until today I would have thought that was no problem. This is completely unbelievable. These things don't happen in Sweden. Especially not in central Stockholm in broad daylight. FFS I was at NK (that store) yesterday.

yes, i remember that shooting.

i guess sweden feels safe enough that politicians don't consider having bodyguards...

After Olof Palme was shot the minister of state always has a bodyguard around. According to the news the Swedish security police (SÄPO) is the agency that evaluates the need for bodyguards and extra security. And one expert said that they are probably going to re evaluate that in the near future.

And also for the record: The night Olof Palme was shot he choose not to have a bodyguard present since he wanted to be alone with his wife.

EDIT: And yes the royal family have bodyguards aswell, but I question their competence. They let a "cake thrower" get close enough to hit the king with a cake in the face smile_o.gif

They're speculating that it's related to the Euro election. She is one of the most pominent figures in the yes campaign. Lindh is generally very popular and seen as a competent and intelligent woman.

The PM and the royal family have bodyguards but not the other members of government. And until today I would have thought that was no problem. This is completely unbelievable. These things don't happen in Sweden. Especially not in central Stockholm in broad daylight. FFS I was at NK (that store) yesterday.

Yes it is quite scary, it was like that shooting incident at a bar some time ago. A few years ago those kinds of news would be the only thing in the papers and the only thing on the TV-News for days.

Damn, but if the wounds are not life threatenening at least that's a good thing.

Does anybody know medical lingo? What does "critical but not life threatening" mean?

Does anybody know medical lingo? What does "critical but not life threatening" mean?

she'll spend quite some time out of politics , if well treated , an amputation is critical , but not life threatening , that's how i understand it at leats

biggrin_o.gif Come on you know what it means, tounge_o.gif

she would die from he injuries if it wasn't for the ability of the medical establishment to care for her. So it's normally deadly but not when she has the support from the hospital etc.

EDIT: it can also mean what's posted below in a sense

Basically that it can become lifethreatening, but she is stable for the moment.

Anyway, I am mostly shocked that ANYONE gets attacked in a high class mall in Sweden and nearly stabbed to death.

Most likely a junkie who got a sudden idea after seeing Anna Lindh walk past.

They are even talking about the possibility of putting the election on hold...

Basically that it can become lifethreatening, but she is stable for the moment.

Anyway, I am mostly shocked that ANYONE gets attacked in a high class mall in Sweden and nearly stabbed to death.

Most likely a junkie who got a sudden idea after seeing Anna Lindh walk past.

They are even talking about the possibility of putting the election on hold...

i'd say it's a national demorcat cracknut , Lindh was quite active in the EMU debates , wasn't she ? and , the national demorcrats don't want of europe , am I wrong ?

You are right. But they have never done anything even remotely like this here before. There has been political violence, but not on this level or this brazen.

Recently, they have also been restrictive in use of force, letting leftist activists attack first and then defend themselves, with determination.

I dont think it was political, per say. Probably a looney or a junkie.

A bit more info on the lack of bodyguard:

Only the PM has a 24h protection. The rest of the cabinet get body guards if SÄPO (security police) deems it appropriate. Unlike in most other countries, the politicians can't be forced to have a bodyguard and can dismiss them any time.

I dont think it was political, per say. Probably a looney or a junkie.

Not a chance. A couple of days before the election. He knows where Lindh is and after stabbing her he succesfully disappears? At NK in broad daylight? Not exactly how a looney or a junkie would act. Had this been an act of random violence they would have arrested him a long time ago.

It was political alright.

There were of course lots of people at NK... why didn't they man him down? I think it's pretty lame that no one does that sad_o.gif

Although some tried to beat up the psycho driver that mowed down about 50 people, killing 2, on a walking street in Stockholm this summer. Which was good, but he surrendered and those that was going to beat him up was stopped by others. What I mean is that someone took action against the villain but today it seemed no one did. Generally I think no one does. Although you can understand that when the bad guy is armed. Better to help the victim then. It always is but if some are already helping the victim some should go for the villain icon13.gif.

There were of course lots of people at NK... why didn't they man him down? I think it's pretty lame that no one does that sad_o.gif

Although some tried to beat up the psycho driver that mowed down about 50 people, killing 2, on a walking street in Stockholm this summer. Which was good, but he surrendered and those that was going to beat him up was stopped by others. What I mean is that someone took action against the villain but today it seemed no one did. Generally I think no one does. Although you can understand that when the bad guy is armed. Better to help the victim then. It always is but if some are already helping the victim some should go for the villain icon13.gif.

you generally avoid to take actions against somebody who's got a knife if you don't have anything stronger to oppose , that's basic survival for you

I'm sorry about that. I hope they get the one who did it.

I also hope she'll be better soon and be able to return to politics.