Sign in to follow this  
Spy17

Mix your perfect game

OFP is the best all in all.

But there are some games that do single aspects better.

Which games would you like to influence OFP2 and why?

My choice:

Close combat series:

-surrendering / prisoners

-state of mind / moral (panic, heroic, surrendering...)

-medals

Jagged alliance2:

-inventory (weight matters)

-item status (your objects can be damaged and repaired)

-campaign (a non linear campaign with sub tasks)

-24h simulation (your people have to rest / sleep)

IL2 forgotten Battles:

-damage model

-flight physics

Falcon4:

-dynamic campaign

Vietcong:

-peeking over obstacles

-leaning

-AI taking cover

-radio (have it close by to use it)

-bouncing grenades

What do you think?

Absolutely and unequivocally Jagged Allicance 2.

If OFP2 can take a bunch of ideas from JA2, I would be pretty happy with that.

Gee I hope Suma doesn't come up again and say "why don't you just make your own game" wink_o.gif

Call Of Duty (based on initial SP demo):

- numerous AI animations (medic, diving when incoming, CQB, jumping, rolling)

- AI intelligence capabilities (peer around corner/window/door and duck when attacked, shift positions, run from grenades or attempt to toss back/away, appropriate shouts: icoming, take cover, grenades, etc.)

- Grenades (cooking in hand, bouncing)

- Graphics (object details)

- Effects (mortar explosions, shell shock, explosion shakes)

Rainbow six

flashbangs

surrendering enemys

CQB

Ghost recon

urban combat

sight distance

Friendly AI

Suppressive fire

enemys use cover

atmosphere

Delta force black hawk down

helo insertions

Urban assault

the ability to command large groups of units while fighting yourself

Delta force black hawk down

helo insertions

Lots of OFP missions have helo insertions.

So, there gies the idea that Novalogic has something OFP hasn't got. tounge_o.gif

water effects of Morrowind (if it isn't too graphically intensive, probably would be)

Deploying MGs effect of Day of Defeat (but with more/all weapons and on more surfaces)

hand and audio signals like Day of Defeat. Also the way that they can be incorporated in scripts + bound to keys: EG you can script a key to say to your team 'watch out, I'm chucking a grenade' as you throw it, and similar things. Or to shout 'Grenade' if you see one, or handsignal orders or confirmations.

This is a LOT better than having to wade through menus like in most other games like that, especially since you can do things while moving or whatever. Flashpoints menus are better than mosts as well, but not as configurable.

I like the way Rainbow Six handles the weapons sounds. They were wave files so addons were easier to make, plus they sound much better than ofp. I would love to see OFP2 done the same way.

Jagged alliance2:

I would be impressed by this feature very much. wink_o.gif

Jagged alliance2:

I would be impressed by this feature very much.  wink_o.gif

I've got to ask whats the point?? How interesting would it be to sit in front of your screen and watch people sleeping? I think the AI should be affected by tiredness during the mission but watching soldiers sleep, eat, wash and, lets go the whole hog crap, would be a load of crap!

Quote[/b] ]What do you mean?

He probably ment, like the trees blowing in the wind, leaves coming off when you shoot at them, stuff like that.  

I'd like to see the CQB from RvS, and the water graphics(and swimming) from DF:BHD. Also the rag-doll physics from RvS.  And avionics from F4 or Janes F-18, though I doubt that'll happen.

I forgot!

The thing OFP2 needs most of all! THE ALMIGHTY BOOT OF WOLFENSTEIN! (and RTCW)

Seriously. A kick button. For kicking things. The weapon from an enemies hands. A grenade thats going to go off. Etc.

SealTeam:

1.Hand Signals

2.Surrender

3.Prisoners

4.Music In The Game Menus[not just in the intro when you start the game,but in the briefing and other menus]

5.Bull Session[so you can Discuss tactics before the mission Begins][it could be an option for certain missions where JIP is not Enabled,that way people waiting to play could have something to do while they wait.]

RavenShield:

1.Reload Animation

Delta Force Series:

1.Death Screams

2.Custom Sayings built into OFP2[Without having the Lag Over The Net from the sound files being played]

Quote[/b] ][-24h simulation (your people have to rest / sleep)

I've got to ask whats the point?? How interesting would it be to sit in front of your screen and watch people sleeping? I think the AI should be affected by tiredness during the mission but watching soldiers sleep, eat, wash and, lets go the whole hog crap, would be a load of crap!

Of course there would be time compression! People are more tired at certain hours of the night so it makes sense to attacks them at these hours. There are also new tactical situations when you have to consider to send out your un rested men to make use of a good taktical moment.

Well the idea of this thread was to show examples with existing games. If you can not imagine how a game can benefit from a 24h day go play JA2 and you will see!

You've gotta take a bit out of MOHAA's AI

the way they panic when you chuck a grenade

shooting blindly from behind doors

limping when shot in leg

falling over when shot in foot

>bang< that's it, lights out- dying effects when shot in head

Battlefield1942

I know when shot by Friendlies you start yelling

"Hey! i'm on your team!"

and on a console game when hit by FF you go " hey! guys! i've found a spy"

I don't know where but:

Hand Signals

DFBHD:

Enemies cowering when shot at

you've gotta remember, they were only civilians with guns...

ALSO!

see my radio idea:(which no-one has replied to)

(link at bottom)

if you don't like it plz say

if you do, say so

if you think it could be helped

say so!

-Tibby

Radio Idea

Grand Theft Auto

Gives you the feeling that the world around you is alive, not just your enemy. The feeling of being in a city is very well displayed. In the country animals would be more appropriate of course.

Vehicles also have appealing visual damage modelling which although cartoonish in GTA it could easily have been realistic if the game was. Driving the cars is a great pleasure too and if OFP 2 is still going to have simplified vehicle controls then the GTA style would be great.

Animations for getting in and out of vehicles, riding motorbikes and other movements were all fluid and consistent.

Tribes 2

When mounted in a vehicle's allocated seats you could still fire your personal weapon.

In MP specific clans could have their own full body character skins. If you could alter the character skins to suit the country of the squad then that would make IDing squad members in a MP game quicker. It would encourage squads to form up and cooperate. Barring this option an alternative would be squad.xml shoulder patches.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

The flames in this game were very well done.

Some guns overheated and jammed if fired too long. It wasn't the most realistic portrayal but it was there.

Certain classes could drop special items like ammunition and medical supplies. Being able to drop ammunition or medical kits would be great. You don't have to be a medic to bandage someone's wounds in real life. If the medic is downed then his items should be available to others (with reduced effectiveness).

i also saw a screenshot for some ww2 game

it was a loada soldiers shootitowards you, but to the left of the screen

so if you was in ofp it would DEFINATELY make you turn around!

anways

the caption said " shoot anything, but not if it's cow shaped"

which made me laugh

and wonder

have animals? like horsies in fields, cows too, and birds if some shots were fired in a jungle

BTW

DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN ANIMAL THREAD

Lots of OFP missions have helo insertions

the OFP campaign and all the single missions have a combined total of one helo insertion on the flashpoint mission and frankly it was the best atmosphere of any game ever its the reason i still Play OFP. the atmosphere as you banter with your mates while zooming over the sea.

DFBHDs insertions suck for atmoshphere but they are there,

by helo insertions i didnt mean OFP didnt have any but i meant that i would love lots more helo insertions.which now i think about as its a vietnam campaign there will have to be at least a couple

Quote[/b] ]Lots of OFP missions have helo insertions

the OFP campaign and all the single missions have a combined total of one helo insertion on the flashpoint mission and frankly it was the best atmosphere of any game ever its the reason i still Play OFP.

I meant there are lots of user made OFP missions that have helo insertions. That is, it's not as if the game prevents you doing this.

But, yes, your point is correct. Helo insertions should be used more often in officially supplied missions.

Elements I like and how they can be improved upon in OFP2

Call of Duty: An actual aim-in animation, and the ability to "toggle" it temporarily, i.e. you aim in for as long as you hold down the aim-in key. And of course, "real" iron sights....An AI enemy that throws back grenades.

In OFP2: Most if not all FPS have the weapon in sight, meaning you're always holding your weapon at your side or in your shoulder and pointed to your front. I would like to see something like this: walking/marching. You would move at the same speed as you currently do when the weapon is "on back", i.e. slung on your shoulder. Then when you aim in, say with the Right Mouse Button, the weapon is brought up into your shoulder, and you're looking down the length of the weapon. Another key would toggle using the iron sights.

America's Army: Ability to cook-off handgrenades; the running animations: when you run in AA, your weapon is brought down across your body, as it would in reality.

OFP2: I would like to see four fwd movement speeds: the walking/marching, as described above; a run as is found in AA; and a sprint, which would of course be just a faster, more animated version of the run, and a slow walk/creep. Related to this is fatigue: that faster you move, the faster your tire.

Day of Defeat: Ability to use the support weapon's bipods.

OFP2: I know we would all love to use the bipod on our favorite support weapon, but what if we could deploy that bipod at will, not just when prone, or when near a "support point" as in DoD. Along with this is terrain AND OBJECTS that actually support bipods and tripods. But please, no more manning of ground mounted weapons as if we're inside a vehicle. The floating around the pintle of the ground-mounted MG is just an immersion "killer".

Viet Cong Though I've only played the demo, I did like the feeling of immersion with such little things as a radio telephone operator (RTO) present, and he actually handed me a radio handset. And the map that's brought up....

OFP2 Busy hands: Using the radio, and map for that matter, should have the same effect as when you're using binoculars, your hands are busy. I'd like a combo of the two: Radio in hand, I can still break out a map and compass with the other! "Murphy, are we here?" "No, sir....Here, a full grid off..."

Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin: Area fire.

OFP2: Hopefully, we'll be able to order our teams to fire in the general area of the enemy. I like it so that no enemy is needed for them to target and fire--just my will.  biggrin_o.gif

Most FPS: Lean/peek; object-specific action key; separate keys for each weapon, tool, etc., and modes of fire.

for me it would be:

America's Army:

cook-off grenades;

hand signals;

working weapon's bipods and with Day of Defeat gunpost features;

walking/marching/running animations

leaning

RavenShield

just CQB movement

Vietcong

AI taking cover

IL2

flight physics(choppers are already doing their best)

the first 2 would be quite easy to do by reanimat and script i think, but the AI and flight physics is quite hard to do.........

America's Army: Weapon handling and movement animations

Ghost Recon: handling during MOUT and movement animations

Delta Force II: underwater world

Spec Ops, Rangers lead the way: Shouted commands

Flashpoint1985: for all the rest!

smile_o.gif