Sign in to follow this  
-TU--33ker

What do i need to make an addon?

I don't know where to post this, so I hope it's the right place. I've been searching for a similar topic but couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to make an addon but I've got absolutely no idea how to start and what I need.

I'd be glad if you could post some tools that I need and maybe give me some links where I can get them. smile_o.gif

My addon (if I ever get it done tounge_o.gif ) will have a new model, and new animations. so it would be nice If someone could help me with an animations tutorial. wink_o.gif

Nice to see that Brsseb has updated his site. I tried some of his tuts before but had no Idea how to work with O2 properly. Now he has a "getting started" tutorial and that's what i need in first place. smile_o.gif

what about tools for animations? where can I get one and are there any tutorials out there?

No Tutorials yet. Tho Cribban was supposed to be making one

is he part of the AEF team?

$33ker @ Sep. 07 2003,14:05)]I don't know where to post this, so I hope it's the right place. I've been searching for a similar topic but couldn't find anything.

I'm trying to make an addon but I've got absolutely no idea how to start and what I need.

I'd be glad if you could post some tools that I need and maybe give me some links where I can get them. smile_o.gif

My addon (if I ever get it done tounge_o.gif ) will have a new model, and new animations. so it would be nice If someone could help me with an animations tutorial. wink_o.gif

I suggest you to find some good modeller first. Of course you can create models directly in O2 but IMHO it's pain in a$$ and waste of time. I prefer to create and texture models in the external software, export them to 3ds format and then import them into O2. I'm using O2 only for creating simple models like Geometry and Fire Geometry LOD, and of course for setting all the OFP stuff like section names, memory points etc.

I recommend you to read col. Klinks and brsseb tutorials and what's much more important - to check out several OFP Demo (MLOD) addons to see how they're set up in the O2.

Thanks Airwolf. smile_o.gif I'll read the tutorials. Which moddeler would you recommend?

Another question: How to create good textures?

I'm new on this (OFP addon making), but i use 3Dmax for moddeling (and texturing). There're more good (maybee better) prog., but i think 3Dmax is very good for moddeling and at the end O2 only import 3DS files. (but you also can find convertors...). For the texturing i think Photoshop (and especially 7.0) is good for it.

Good luck.

For texturing PaintShopPro or Adobe Photoshop are often used. But OFPEC would be an excellent place to have a look...in particularOFPEC Tutorials.

Also I vaguely remember Maafy made a tutorial at one point (or there was one on his site) but I can't find it now sad_o.gif

I'd like to know which other 3D proggies support 3ds files, or which can be easily converted. There's a full proggie called Cinea4D (or such) on the front of a 'PC Art' magazine that looks good, if it's convertable to 3DS...

$33ker @ Sep. 11 2003,21:32)]Thanks Airwolf. smile_o.gif I'll read the tutorials. Which moddeler would you recommend?

Another question: How to create good textures?

I'm using 3D Studio MAX for creating and texturing addons.

How to create good textures? Well check out Marfys tutorials here: http://www.volny.cz/marfyart/desertofp/index_engl.htm

If you like hand-drawn textures.

I'm generally using photo-textures made of hi-res photos of the real things. If you have seen mine LWP PZL Mi-2T addon - it uses some good (I think) textures made of the photos of the real Mi-2 for the exterior (while Police Mi-2 uses hand-drawn texture) and hand drawn textures for the interior.

To create hand drawn textures I'm using Paint Shop Pro - each texture has several layers like background colour, rivets/lines, some 'dirt' and light/shadow map.

If texture has wide pallette of colours (for example multiple shades of the same colour like gradients etc) it's good to apply some 'noise' (which is one of the filters in almost all graphical programs) which gives you smoother textures (otherwise texview converter/OFP will screw your texture because of weak (nearest colour) colour reduction algorithm it uses to convert texture to 256-colours - colours on the texture will look hmm 'quantized')