Sign in to follow this  
cobra@pulse

Best armed forces in the world

Hi,

I was just wondering what the OFP comunity thought the best real world military is. Don't vote just for the biggest, but vote for the best in tactics and how they've handeld wars.

Please vote on your favourite above and lets see who wins.

I'll get this closed on the 14th so vote quick.

If you would like put your reasons below. Sorry if I couldn't get your country in, if I haven't then click other and tell me below.

Let the voting Begin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please note the USSR no longer exsits so don't vote for them. Also the way I've put them is in Alphabeteical order, its not byest (I'm not Argentinian.) wink_o.gif

this will just start a flame war... and the mods will close it the moment they see it...sorry

question makes only little sense as noone of us here has a complete list of experience with the listed armies.

I guess this thread is

smily932.gif

I voted other. I think the marsians have the best army! lol nah I agree somewhat with Acidcrash. This thread has great flamewar potential.

Guest DKM-jaguar

Could be a good thread if it wasnt spammed by useless posts putting it down before it's got going.

This has a potential flame war labeled all over it. I think this needs closing.

dear god, shut the fuck up about "ha ah omfg this threads is gonna be BANZoRED and FLaMeS and flames" .

Im sure when the mods come along they`ll decide whether the thread stays or gets locked.

ps, ill vote in a jiffy once i had a look at the other armies so i don`t just vote for UK or USA on a whim tounge_o.gif

I would chose countries like Vietnam (kicked everyone out who tried to occupy it),

Switzerland (they have developed their very own way of defending their country. In case they are being attacked they retreat into the mountains where there are tremedous bunkers and tunnels inside the mountains. They have hidden airports up in artificial valleys and some of the largest batteries in the world.

Israel (I dont know how such a small nation living on rocks and sand can afford such a military. Military budget probably 30% of GDP.)

China (I dont even want to know what kind of weapons and war-tools those people are inventing during the next 2 decades)

Israel (I dont know how such a small nation living on rocks and sand can afford such a military. Military budget probably 30% of GDP.)

Several billion a year in 'military aid' probably helps.

I sub-divided this into forces that would best suit a given type of conflict

For tactical nuclear war

India or Pakistan. I vote these two best because if these two countries ever felt threatened, they would be the among the first to invoke Nuclear war. I'm not saying their policies are the best, or even good, but the aim of an armed force is to eliminate enemy forces quickly. And because they are relatively trigger happy. It would be one of these two nations that would strike first, (so long as it's not against each other) (though very likely due to border dispute over Kashmir).

Naval Warfare.

United States Navy. What can I say. There isn't an opposition force in the world remotely comparable to the US Navy.

Electronic Warfare.

US takes the cake.

Technological warfare.

US (again)

Ground Warfare.

The Chinese. Ground warfare is a numbers game.

Special Forces.

The Australian SASR.

Shoestring budget warfare.

Australia. For what we can do on a budget that ain't worth the paper it's written on. tounge_o.gif

I find it quite interesing that now one has voted the US thus far... Where the yankees at? unclesam.gif

Darn... Forget about the Israelis... Ah well, too late...

Switzerland (they have developed their very own way of defending their country. In case they are being attacked they retreat into the mountains where there are tremedous bunkers and tunnels inside the mountains. They have hidden airports up in artificial valleys and some of the largest batteries in the world.

Uhh well I am Swiss and I also serve in the Swiss Army.

What you write was what was made to defend ourself in case the cold war would become a hot war and the soviets would try to go trough Switzerland to France or Italy.

Today most of those hidden and secret bunkers are closed and the government made the locations public. Also the canons are mostly removed.

And then our military budget is very small. We can't even afford to buy new tyres for our military jeeps/cars. Every vehocle that needs new tyres is stored in the depot.

The retreat in the mountains is also pretty silly. Some people made a research and they found out with the current agricultural system and the lack of food reserves would make it impossible to feed an army in the mountains. Also there are no cities that could provide ammunition or something like that. that is all located in the flat land that will be overrun very quickly.

So if we would be attacked by an enemy that takes it serious the best thing to do for us would be giving up ;)

Can someone whose voted for Britain please explain why so many people are voting for Britain. rock.gif

Surely the British don't deserve the majority of the vote at this stage. tounge_o.gif

Sweden, if they havent got it, its not worth fighting with.

Not only do they push the fore-front of modern battlefield technology, every last one of them aged over 17 has to do national service for a minimum of 2 years.

Their air force is capable of, and regularly practicies operating off of short lenghts of road, they have indigenous aircraft and weapon manufacturing companies.

Now if thats not prepaired, I don't know what is...

Guest DKM-jaguar
Can someone whose voted for Britain please explain why so many people are voting for Britain. rock.gif

Surely the British don't deserve the majority of the vote at this stage.  tounge_o.gif

Might have something to do with having the most skilled army in the world? I dont know... just a guess. (no, i am not guessing.)

Also the vote was not on quantity, but tactics and how the wars were handled, i dont think you'll find another country with as much military experience and accomplishments as the british military, including the US.

Haha this is idiotic guys, grow up.

Of course the Brits are the best!

No but seriously there is no point in this thread, it comes down to individuals and what they had for breakfast. All militaries are products of goverments, beauracracies that create more beauracracies that have their heads up their arse. You can say based upon quantity of individuals or equipment, or training and nutrtion, this is so generalised it's laughable.

Jinef

Actually, i wanted to say Sweden too deadmeat, but i had to be sensible and bring these guys to reality.

Militaries are only as good as their leaders, that's why i know there are not many US votes and there bloody well shouldn't be any votes for us, our goverment is the biggest bunch of big headed twerps ever congregated in one place. Dear god knows why i voted for them.

Edit: Either Norway (down Denoir, sit!) or Sweden has been winning over us lot in almost every NATO exercise in the past 10 years. Britian comes around 8th place and the US, well, they are usually in the last 3 poor dears and they almost always call us and yell how unfair it was and how they couldn't retreat fast enough.

This was in the 80's though, they are improving at a remarkable rate nowadays.

basicly with this poll you can count how many members are from USA, from UK etc..

its just a counter to see how man people are from where...

Edit: I wanted to vote Japan but i clicked other crazy_o.gif

heh, yeah, whilst I love our guys (heck I'm joining the RAF soon) we have really shite choice in weapons...

I mean the SA80, even with the A2 version WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!! crazy_o.gif

Now when it comes down to the bigger equipment, there we have taste:

The Tornado - so good even the Americans want it, for their "supreme" role of Wild Weasel. This role has only gone to 2 other aircraft - the F4 Phantom, a legend in its self, and the F-16, also a very capable aircraft. But it does say somehing about the design when the Americans do not use an indegenous design...

Landrovers - not only highly capable, but most of them will keep running till doomsday (with proper care) and once again, the Americans are buying them, as the Hummer does not fit their operational capability - I.E. they don't fit in most US aircraft...

Challenger II - now theres a tank. Most people don't realise that the Abrams inherited a lot of technology from the Challenger, not least, the most important part - the Armour. Developed here in our green and pleasant land, the Chobham armour on the Challenger is the most effective inert armour in the world (era is often better, but not so great for surrounding "soft-skinned" vehicles, or infantry)

anyho.. rant over, we rule :P crazy_o.gif

The Finnish defence forces, they have the best OFP army mod out there. ;P

Would be better to ask what ELITE force was the best trained in the world.

Every army performs differently based on factors like motivation, environment, training, number of troops, quality of equipment. But most important is morale of course. A Finnish force might have high morale fighting in Finnish woods but piss poor morale if they were put in Sahara. Becides, there's no liqour stores in Sahara so they would suck there smile_o.gif.

If I was asked the first question instead. I would say top3 (in no particular order).

USMC, Gurkhas, FFL

BM

Quote[/b] ]I mean the SA80, even with the A2 version WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!

It should be a good rifle as it shoots fast and is accurate but it falls apart and jams or so i`ve heard.

I still haven`t voted but theres a little voice in my head telling me the russians and USA have deathrays lasers and UFOs so i might just vote for them tounge_o.gif