Sign in to follow this  
Airwolf

How to get a lag free flashpoint?

ya, but my beast of a machine doesnt work like it should and im @!*&$ pissed off!!!

Your beast of a machine does work like it should - just not like you think it should. Expectations don't allways match reality. A little bit of skepticism now can end up saving a lot of heartache later.

....he claims he can run it at 1600x1200, hi detail, with high viewdistance.. with no lag... i find this most disturbing.

Your friend is a BS'ing you (He's lying). Ever heard of the term 'pissing contest'? wink_o.gif

I upgraded my PC to xp and it is getting weird results. When instaling OFP, the instalation screen (the one that plays the National Anthem of the Soviet Union) gets a little messed up texture wise. When playing Nogova in MP, I get hardly no lag. I view OFP at low and before it laged like hell and I never played on Nogova because I was afraid of it freezing. crazy_o.gif

MP games turn the view distance down really low unless set otherwise, and the messed up startup texture is normal in xp.

ya, but my beast of a machine doesnt work like it should and im @!*&$ pissed off!!!

Your beast of a machine does work like it should - just not like you think it should.  Expectations don't allways match reality. A little bit of skepticism now can end up saving a lot of heartache later.

....he claims he can run it at 1600x1200, hi detail, with high viewdistance.. with no lag... i find this most disturbing.

Your friend is a BS'ing you (He's lying). Ever heard of the term 'pissing contest'?  wink_o.gif

EXACTLY! smile_o.gif

OK, gotta ask...

I recently bought a new gfx card (9800pro)... And I had a Ti4400 before that and that card worked really good woth OFP, but I have no idea how it would handle a 9800pro 128MB...

Anyone have this gfx card and have almost the same system as I have??

Specs:

*ASUS A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe

*xp2400+

*1024MB PC3200 Twinmos Winbond

*Sapphire 9800pro

*Audigy2 Platinum

Plz, say if I will run OFP smooth like I would with my ti4400 or OFP sux with ATI cards??? rock.gif

OK, gotta ask...

I recently bought a new gfx card (9800pro)... And I had a Ti4400 before that and that card worked really good woth OFP, but I have no idea how it would handle a 9800pro 128MB...

Anyone have this gfx card and have almost the same system as I have??

Specs:

*ASUS A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe

*xp2400+

*1024MB PC3200 Twinmos Winbond

*Sapphire 9800pro

*Audigy2 Platinum

Plz, say if I will run OFP smooth like I would with my ti4400 or OFP sux with ATI cards???  rock.gif

I got similar setups (two machines) but my answers are for this thread in general ...

1) R9500+ cards are made with Antialiasing in mind, using 4x is small performance hit, 6x is someway bigger (i suggest use only on 9800p all res, 9700p lower res) same goes for AF 2/4/8/16 its 2/5/12/25 % perf hit, theirs combination depends on resolution in general, also if u run Vsync and tripple buffering u need to take in mind it needs more video memory for 3rd buffer

2) use higher resolutions (min 1280*960 then 1400*1050 or 1600*1200), these cards were made for it

3) for 9700p u can use 8x AF and 4x AA easily , for 9800p 16x and 4x ( 6x depends on game, but 256MB version handle it fineb on 1600x1200)

4) ATI R9500+ cards got different type of AA than all nVidia cards or older, it looks better, dont blur text etc (and its faster smile_o.gif

5) in OFPR with r9800p&AMD3000+ i can run up to 250 units at field fighting and 1400*1050@100Hz 4xAA / 8xAF, 2200m viewdistance and high geometry, obj lod maximal, shadows lod 10x lower than max, rest options and textures turned maximal, drivers option maximal, fps 20-100

6) Catalyst 3.7 minimally, 3.8 arriving at 8th Oct

7) ATI wasn't caught cheating yet, shuffling shader order with same result is pure optimizing, not unlikely nVidia skybox hack, replacing shaders with low precision ones etc.

8) Consider r9500 as minimum for OFP2, i dont think it will run on DX8.1 (r8500+, nFX) or DX8 (nGef3) class hardware

9) my OFPR runs and looks great on my ATIs cards but ... game engine self got so much flaws still (nothing is more depressing as out of video memory with 256+256 texturing memory)

10) i can't recommend any FX to anyone, these cards as so buggy and problematic, from hw level to driver level and not to mention crappy 2.x shader performance

11) all my opinions are based upon my own experience with ATI r3xx cores (over year) and R2xx cores (cant remember how many years smile_o.gif and nVidia and others ...

bla bla ... i stop

one thing i noticed, is that is only lags when i turn or when i look from side to side, looking up, down, or going perfectly forward does not cause any lag at all, only when i look, and during that turning motion i get major lag.

one thing i noticed, is that is only lags when i turn or when i look from side to side, looking up, down, or going perfectly forward does not cause any lag at all, only when i look, and during that turning motion i get major lag.

I've noticed this too. I can set the view distance to 4000+ with all of the settings maxxed, and my Frames per sec is actually not that bad - as long as I stare straight forward. tounge_o.gif

I beleive the problem lies with all of the texture data that needs to be moved from your RAM (memory) to your video card when you turn rapidly in the game. As you increase the view distance, the size of the texture data that needs to be transferred grows more and more.

I don't know if it's a bandwidth issue or a latentcy issue, or both, but for a smooth OFP game with 5000 viewdistance, today's systems just don't cut it.

About videocards, i wish that Russian guy release his Shaders water (and who knows what another wonders he keeps there).

Cause then real power of OFPR scenery popups smile_o.gif

Waaaaa just imagine all that {text removed because of exceeding 100kB size} things u can do with shaders !!!

RMA your FX 5900 card...I had FX 5900 and soon returned it for a refund (after reading HL-2 benchmarks)....Now Ive got ATI 9800 PRO - and IT ROX!! I mean so much better than FX...I have all details maxed, terrain is NORMAL - 4xAA 16AF 1600x1200x32 - OFP runs FAAAAST!! ON maps like CTI and C&H, and on maps like ST PIER, MOKRA, DESERT RATS where viewdistance is small - I get around 60 FPS w/20 ppl playing....And did I mention that I dont have flickering textures? Everything is so smooth and nice..Did I mention that ATI's Antialiasing 2x is much better Nvidia's 8x ??!!

btw, my system AMD XP 2100, 768MB RAM, RAdeon 9800 PRO, WIN XP PRO, Catalysts 3.7

Waiting for OFP:2 ! OFP is the only game I play online...

Yes I too fell victim to the Pentium Nvidia crowd. I see now how my roommates supposedly slower AMD Athalon with a Radeon card blows my 2.4Ghz P4 w/800mhz HT, and GeForce4 TI4400 out of the water. I spent way more money too. mad_o.gif Also the only way to make OFP run fast is to turn Terrain detail to low and turn object, terrain and cockpit textures down to under 512X512. Also turn obj LOD down to halfway, and video setting to 600X800X32.

well, i swore i'd never buy another ati card again, so, im going to keep this for now, and just try to make the best of it, there must be a way to make it run right.