Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

New codemasters cd key replacement policy

Quote[/b] ]Getting new or replacement codes is likely to become more difficult

soon. Because of the number of replacement codes we are being asked

for, we are now considering only providing codes in exchange for a

nominal fee and by sending out a new manual upon receipt of this fee.

Naturally, this will add extra time as well as cost to the process.

Our main office in the UK is already doing it this way. So, make sure

that once you have the proper code, that you record in somewhere it

will not be lost. Perhaps on the CD case or with a Sharpie felt marker

on the label side of the CD itself.

Source: This OFP NG thread.

Wow, maybe now people will actually have to NOT throw their booklets in the rubbish.

Here's a tip...keep a copy somewhere...honestly, it's not all that hard. I mean, admittedly, writing down a copy of a number might sound like a big job, but actually, it's quite easy.  tounge_o.gif

P.S. Is there any substantiation on this source?

You guys are lucky, if I was running Codemasters you would have had to purchase the game if you lost your manual/key from the start. wink_o.gif You lose the game you lose the game, your freaking responsibility. The first thing I did when I got my OFP copies is make sure I never lost the darn CD key, (ie make copy). It's not too much to do to protect 50 or whatever dollars it was.

If that is for real, i think i am happy to have made a lot of copy of my CD key , it will be harder to lose them all smile_o.gif

You lose the game you lose the game, your freaking responsibility

I dont think losing a cd key is the same thing as losing the game. If you have the original CD , you have the game.

Yeah it is the same isn't it, because you need the CDkey to play the game. You lose the key IMO you lost the game.

EDIT: But, to be able to buy another key for 1/2 price of the game or so makes sense. Problem is, well, you know, you could lie.

EDIT2: Keep the CD key with the CD... biggrin_o.gif

Paying a price for being careless with CD keys should teach enough wink_o.gif. I have somehow lost my System Shock 2 CD and I surely hope I can find it because getting a copy of that game legally is very very hard.

Hmmm... Avon didn't tell us to 'Search the FAQ for 'New codemasters cd key replacement policy' rock.giftounge_o.gif

You feeling okay, Avon? biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

Paying a price for being careless with CD keys should teach enough wink_o.gif. I have somehow lost my System Shock 2 CD and I surely hope I can find it because getting a copy of that game legally is very very hard.

I've found a couple second hand smile_o.gif

@ Sep. 03 2003,11:16)]ofpR is so cheap now that I got myself an extra reserve copy.

Were do you live? It is just that I am looking for OFP:R in the shops and no luck so far. It seems I will have to order on-line oh the horror!

Personally I like the way Atari handles this kind of stuff. I recently lost my Neverwinter Nights CD-Key. And they sent me a replacement one via mail in exchange for a picture of my game box spread out on the desk. That made me very confident in their customer support and the very next week I bought Shadows of Undrentide (the expansion) But I guess many people use these kinds of services to be able to sell CD-keys trough various web sites.

The usual excuse is: "I just moved and lost my manual with the CD key". then they cry for help and put some of these sad_o.gif to make us feel sry for them. I agree with bn880, the manual is inside the box, if you keep it there you wont loose it, funny how they loose the manual but dont loose the CD, i wouldnt give or sell any keys if i were responsible @ codies mad_o.gif .

Hmmm... Avon didn't tell us to 'Search the FAQ for 'New codemasters cd key replacement policy' rock.gif  tounge_o.gif

You feeling okay, Avon? biggrin_o.gif

It's on my todo list. smile_o.gif

why dont they just print the CD key on the jewel case, the manual, and the CD itself, and then tell everyone that they cant get a new CD key cuz i mean if you lost all of those...ya know would be kinda suspicious

not to mention how would you run the game without the CD

why make things difficult for yourselves, if you have software that requires a key code when you instal it, write it on the cd rom using a permanent marker pen. I do it to most of my software as a back up in case the manual or cd box goes missing.....

There is no excuse for losing the key codes, its quite right people should be charged for a replacement one.

I'm a bit obesseive/compulsive with my software - I keep a spreadsheet log of all installed software, serials/keys, username, date installed, etc.

why make things difficult for yourselves, if you have software that requires a key code when you instal it, write it on the cd rom using a permanent marker pen. I do it to most of my software as a back up in case the manual or cd box goes missing.....

There is no excuse for losing the key codes, its quite right people should be charged for a replacement one.

That's a great idea....

Ah, for a sec I thought someone was asking for a cd key. tounge_o.gif

I keep my manual safely in my desk.All though, it would be better if Codemastes would put the code right on the actual case, as does EA.

Is it just me or is it hard to tell if some of the numbers are letters and vice versa?

it would be better if Codemastes would put the code right on the actual case, as does EA.

I just use a marker and write it on the CD. smile_o.gif

Ah, for a sec I thought someone was asking for a cd key. tounge_o.gif

No one has an excuse to do that any more (well, actually, they never did in the first place, most were either looking for a serial for their warez copy or were too lazy to email CM) -

Quote[/b] ]2§3)No discussion about cracks

This includes request for cracks, links to cracks or sites that host cracks, also not acceptable are requests for CD Keys/serials, again such threads will be closed and could result in a permanent ban

It's spelled out in black and white in the updated forum rules. I for one won't have any problem smacking people down hard when they start these threads from now on.

So be warned people - KEEP YOUR SERIALS SAFE!

lol one of my friends lost his starcraft CD key so he went to like walmart or some store like that, found an open box and copied down the CD key lol...

I note all of this stuff in an encrypted file, along with other sensible data i keep there anyway...

hmm thats actually a pretty good idea! keeps it from others while keeps them within reach