Sign in to follow this  
SnypaUK

Special forces

In OFP the only special forces missions you play in are sneak into place blowup tanks/helos/steal papers. What i want to see are raids on enemy camps with fast rope insertions and interdiction and intelligence gathering the scouting mission on OFP is a good example of recon.

In OFP the only special forces missions you play in are sneak into place blowup tanks/helos/steal papers. What i want to see are raids on enemy camps with fast rope insertions and interdiction and intelligence gathering the scouting mission on OFP is a good example of recon.

What about hostage situations?

Where? one little rescue in resistance and the mission in OFP thats a straight firefight with some civis running around

Whats your point, I don't see what your suggesting for OFP2. If you want spec ops missions where you go and sit in the woods for 3 hours and strain your eyes scanning with the binoculars, thats fine, go and make the mission, or find a missionmaker who will.

My point is that all the spec op missions in OFP where infiltrate base then blow up tank/steal papers etc. There should be more roles for the spec ops like raids on camps interdiction of roads and scouting these would be interesting to do and could tie in with assault missions. for example your raid on a camp would draw troops away from the front so your koslowski esque characters squad will find it easier the next morning in their attack on the enemy frontline

we allready have all those and the ability to do them , just go download a few user-made missions

we allready have all those and the ability to do them , just go download a few user-made missions

I guess what he means is to make some of those missions available in the campaigns to come.

I would suggest doing a lil homework, BIS already released the time period and setting of the story, somewhat.

I would suggest reading about the exact time period and location BIS plans to have the campaign. They said the campaign would closely follow those events.

So I suggest looking up some stuff, and what you see in the books very well may be implemented into the campaign.

I understand what you are saying, but I seriously doubt BIS would create such in-depth missions, in that it would not appeal to the typical run-n-gun players.

The liaison portions alone would require many mb's of cut-scenes, to coincide with all the multi-choice moments.

well, maybe gastovski was an expert on blowing up tanks and didn't want people to know that he couldn't do anything else.... biggrin_o.gif

All these would be a great addition. I mentioned before that perhaps a kind of Rainbow 6 interface should be included for close combat assaults or raids.

This problem is not too difficult to solve, but unfortunately it would be a huge addition to the 700 (or so) MB of space on the CD.

Most games these days, come on multiple CD-ROMs so, I doubt size would really be a concern. DVD-ROM could be a good idea, but it would probably cost more than three or so CDs would, and there are a few people who live in a hole :P that don't have a DVD drive yet(probably by 2005, every1 will though).

Most games these days, come on multiple CD-ROMs so, I doubt size would really be a concern.  DVD-ROM could be a good idea, but it would probably cost more than three or so CDs would, and there are a few people who live in a hole :P that don't have a DVD drive yet(probably by 2005, every1 will though).

I have a DVD player, but I can't find any drivers for it. tounge_o.gif

I really like the suggestion your proposed!

Espessially raids on enemy camps with few Spec opps would be nice...first sneak them in position, then open fire for multiple sides, surprising the enemy!

Really great fun for single player missions.

Maybe followed by a mission where you drive in the conquered base as a rookie soldier, to defend base line.

My reply to all these people who want CQB stuff and hostages is that if you really like stuff like rainbow six, then for goodness sakes play rainbow six and quit trying to turn OPF into another one of those stupid anti-terrorist games. God knows there's already way too many of them already. Besides, the whole point to OPF is that its a war simulation. There's not a whole lot of hosages in any war unless you're going into a camp to get POW's. And even then, the secops would be the best ones to do that job in a computer game.

First of all, if you're telling us that there ain't CQB or hostages in war, then you're sadly mistaken. You yourself gave POWs as an example. How about the hostage situation in Tehran in 1979, or the hostage Delta Force rescued in Panama (Op. 'Acid Gambit' I think...)? CQB (in particular MOUT) is, unfortunately, increasingly common in war, in that fighting is occuring not just in open terrain, but in urban centres as well.

Secondly, the great thing about OFP is it's flexibility, a feature that's likely to be expanded in OFP2. Yes, it's primarily a simulation of war (in which CQB and hostages are not out of place, mind you), but it could also be extended to things like civilian police operations etc. etc.

If we manage to simulate these things in OFP2, it will undoubtedly blow the Rainbow 6-series out of the water. But it won't mean we'll sacrifice any of the brilliant gameplay that made the original so good... smile_o.gif

Mr. Snrub you misunderstand me.  I'm not saying that CQB and hostages don't have any place in war.  On the contrary.  What I'm saying is that there are many people that if they had their way, CQB and hostages would be the only focus to OPF.  OPF is so much more than rainbow six and blowing the hostages and CQB stuff out of proportion in comparison to real life should be a sin.  And from my own personal opinion, we should leave the whole anti-terrorist stuff to the umpteen million games out there already because there's way too many anti-terrorist games on the market.

Forgive me for the misunderstanding. That was my fault. And on another topic, where did you learn that about your signature? I love it, that's awesome! I can just picture the expressions on the people's faces. :D

Mr. Snrub you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that CQB and hostages don't have any place in war. On the contrary. What I'm saying is that there are many people that if they had their way, CQB and hostages would be the only focus to OPF. OPF is so much more than rainbow six and blowing the hostages and CQB stuff out of proportion in comparison to real life should be a sin. And from my own personal opinion, we should leave the whole anti-terrorist stuff to the umpteen million games out there already because there's way too many anti-terrorist games on the market.

Forgive me for the misunderstanding. That was my fault. And on another topic, where did you learn that about your signature? I love it, that's awesome! I can just picture the expressions on the people's faces. biggrin_o.gif

I see where you're coming from, there are a few people that seem a little too eager to replicate Rainbow 6-type gameplay. So long as it doesn't compromise the "OFP Experience"â„¢, I'd really like to see CQB improved in OFP2. smile_o.gif

About my signature, I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I'm pretty sure it was from a book on Gallipoli I read when I was in high-school ... I'll try and find a source for it, and hopefully a picture smile_o.gif

Hmm, seems having workable indoors (AI that will freely move through buildings, as if it were outdoors) would be all that is needed. Throw in more intuitive AI, and commands (clear room, lob a grenade, etc) to the team, and your set. Oh, and even for outdoors, LEAN commands.. (Left/right, from cover). If that is there, you have ability for Urban indoor combat, HRT style missions, whatever someone wants to make.

Another thing that, IMO, would be good.. the crouch/stand system. Have it done in increments, such as with the mouse scroll wheel, but also have the keys for the "full" position. IE: You can still hit Q and Z to instantly go to one of these positions, or use the sroll wheel to slowly make the transition. Usefull for when at a wall, or just wanna peek over the top of something. Say a wall is just too tall to see over when crouched, but when standing, you expose your entire upper body. Use the wheel, and only expose your head, with rifle aiming over. (To lessen the animation work, when moving, default to normal running, etc). Oh, and add ability to MOVE in a crouch stance. All these would be good in general, but especially in urban combat, where there is lots of rubble, etc of varying heights to use as cover.

Hmm, seems having workable indoors (AI that will freely move through buildings, as if it were outdoors) would be all that is needed. Throw in more intuitive AI, and commands (clear room, lob a grenade, etc) to the team, and your set. Oh, and even for outdoors, LEAN commands.. (Left/right, from cover). If that is there, you have ability for Urban indoor combat, HRT style missions, whatever someone wants to make.

Improved collision detection between units and buildings also needs to be implemented. At the moment, whenever a unit comes in contact with the inside of a building (except the floors), there's a lot of shaking/pushing going on (sorry, I'm not really up to speed with the technical details smile_o.gif)

Exactly. (Part of what I meant, though poorly worded smile_o.gif ) The pathfinding may be hand in hand. (Also walking through walls, stairs, etc, doesn't help matters. Especially when you walk through one way, but not the other. ESPECIALLY when there is an enemy on the other side of the wall you just walked through. biggrin_o.gif

Nothing like the seizure effect when you are in/against a building that the game doesn't seem to like.