Sign in to follow this  
-SWAF-_The_X_Men

Gunner and pilot coordination

I love the helicopters in OFP but theres a problem that no one wants to have a gunner on his heli , i am one of those, but is not cause i dont like gunner is because the game needs a little more coordination twin pilot and gunner , i mean then i am pilot and i get an unexperienced gunner i signal a target and the gunner hear when i say the target but he dont see the target box , i belive OFP2 need to get a few thing fix on that matter or other wise get a lock vehicle option that way the player that get heli can lock the vehicle if he dont want a gunner , my self i only use gunner when is a person that i know is experienced and even that way we have a big lack of comm, some times i (as POilot) asim to a certain target and the gunnes cause he dont see my target box hes aiming to a dif target and that cause some trouble flying sad_o.gif . really apreciate something can be done about , hope this is not a crazy suggestion biggrin_o.gif

Clearly he means MP...

_The_X_Men @ Aug. 18 2003,10:19)][...]i am pilot and i get an unexperienced gunner[...]

[...]i only use gunner when is a person that i know is experienced and even that way we have a  big lack of comm[...]

Yes Major gripe i refer on MP games especificly , in SP and even in MP with and AI as gunner u dont have problems AI's always aim and shoot what u target , but in MP with another real player as gunner the comm twin pilot and gunner is a little Low .

Eg. I as Pilot Target a BMP , the gunner see , Target BMP 11 oclock but he never get to see the target box , thats what i am talking about . Or at least when i have use Pilot and gunner ppl always seems to have the same problem .

The gunner in real attack helicopters is responsible for the chaingun, missiles and countermeasures. The pilot controls rockets. With a intercom system coordination is not a problem. Maybe have a small voice program which is exclusively for tank crews and helicopter pilots etc. It cold be activated by a controller button so your flying is not compromised and would allow the pilot to assign concentration fire targets while he attacks with rockets. Also a view system needs to be implemented so vehicle crews have higher situational awareness. At the moment my record for evaded missiles with manual flare activation is 3, all of those were at night and i reacted due to the launch flare, not by seeing the missile.

Quote[/b] ] The pilot controls rockets.

well thats one of the problems here with an AI gunner u have controll of all , but with a MP Gunner as soon u get a gunner in the heli, u losse control of the rockets and thats a big issue once u have a tank on target cause most of the time the Gunner hear the FIRE order a little late and u just waste rockets.

Quote[/b] ] Quote (Jinef @ Aug. 19 2003,21:33)

Also a view system needs to be implemented so vehicle crews have higher situational awareness.

Explain please.

I belive he means the short range of vew u have in helis, and the extreem short range u have in planes (Not 360 degrees or at least a Full 190 degrees ), well with the joystick u can use the View selector to see Left and rigth but thats all. You can not see the Upper And low Rigt and lefth , and that can help u when u have enemy Up from u or when u are landing .

i would much prefer if the hat on the joystick auto-snapped to center after you release it unless you had free look on (*) as im sick of turning and then having to faff around to recenter it which usually then leads to me getting hurt shall we say...

perhaps if pilot and gunner BOTH had abilty to fire, not just gunner?

As Jinef say in his rply in real helis the gunner only handle the Chain Gun the pilot handle the rockets that can be a good idea , cause in OFP onse u say Fire and the Gunner fire the rocket (especilay FFRR) the target is no longer in aim, but if they leave the rockets to be handle by the pilot that problem would end also the pilot is the one with the coordiantioon bout the direction .

Quote[/b] ] i would much prefer if the hat on the joystick auto-snapped to center after you release

In OFP when i fly and i use the Hat to turn i center back With Numpad 5 but it would be much better ur idea that the View turn center once u realise the hat on Joystic. (At least my Joystic Hat dont have a Push option so i can configure on center vew wow_o.gif it only turns sides )