Sign in to follow this  
KTM_Calle

Short time ban system

I guess you've all encountered this situation; some newbie or whiner joins the server, whines, gets kicked off, and connects again and again. If this is a public server, someone with acess to the server might now be around to ban this person, same if it's a clan server (happens). So i think the admin should be able to do a 5-10 minute ban in mp, if the server admin has it enabled. rock.gif

I'm up for this idea. Would limit TK'ers and assholes connecting again and again after being kicked.

[Gareth Gates must die]

Well it's less work, you don't want to ban someone forever over some bad moment he had, gives them time to cool off and respect others. Also you can give timed ban permissions to voted in moderators. (well it's a little more complicated but doable)

Just give a timed ban and make it in Time periods like:

1: 5min ban

2: 10 min ban

3: 15min ban

4: 30min ban

5: 45 min ban

6: 60 min ban

7: Day ban

8: Week ban

Etc Etc Etc...It's a nice idea and i hope BIS is gonna use this

This is very good idea, hope we see this on ofp2.

If its a public server though, chanses are always that some asshole is admin, and decides to ban everyone for a week or two wink_o.gif , so the allowed ban-times should be defined in the servers cfg, for example smile_o.gif

I don't get the ip of timed bans. I've never done that in my years as a gameserver admin. Either a player behaves or he doesn't. Actions that warrant a timed ban warrant an infinite ban too, cause i don't want to play with assholes. This does not mean that i ban many ppl, just those i find really antisocial. But i don't want to see those on my server ever again.

If its a public server though, chanses are always that some asshole is admin, and decides to ban everyone for a week or two wink_o.gif , so the allowed ban-times should be defined in the servers cfg, for example smile_o.gif

Oh well the maximum ban for voted admins could be 5m-15m-30m.

That's it, in increments. After all, an asshole admin can kick anyone he wants, so he has the power to be an asshole anyway, but people can vote someone else in or leave the server. However for a good admin this will be helpful.

Afaik they can't vote a new admin once someone is admin. A "revote" function would imho be more useful than timed bans.

Nobody, but as i said before i don't see any need for timed bans at all. On a server with a logged in admin you have the option to kick someone, ban someone or close the server. From my years of experience as a an admin i don't see the need for timed bans there. Either i want to have someone playing on my server or i don't. If someone has some "bad 5 minutes" i warn him. If it doesn't get better i ban him. If we sort it out later, in icq or something, i unban him.

On server with voted admins any asshole can become admin and ruin the fun. A revote would be cool so if the admin is an asshole the players can vote someone else. And do you really want the asshole admin to have the power to tempban anyone starting a vote against him? Anyone saying anything he doesn't like? Taking "his" chopper?

Of course, revote should already have been added. A revote should also take place without the current admins knowledge. wink_o.gif

EDIT: I don't diagree wiht your revote request, I disagree that a timed ban is useless. I see it as a benefit.

I think it would be possible to make that timeban option for those admins who logged in with admin password and those who have been voted to admin can only kick.

or how about

votedAdminTimedBans = [5,10,30]

or

votedAdminTimedBans = []

i wouldn't mind having the option for a logged in admin to overrule a voted admins ban, for example on a squad's server... there is no squad members with the admin password present and a non-squad member has the admin via vote, that person then bans the squad member from his/her own server. that squad member is gonna be rather pissed off, but they can go fetch a member who has the password to remove the ban. OR have something along the lines of a "immune" list, where only logged in admins can do anything to them... the list of "immunes" would be of players ID's. this way a non-squad member could not ban a squad member

Good idea acid..

also a "permban" command only available to logged in admins...

Another nice feature for servers would be "chat logs" that write to a new logfile each day into a log folder.

And possibly a remote admin text console in order to kick off a "problem child" voted in admin (that kicks you before you can login) or logged in admin that has been afk extensively, and the ability to login overriding another logged in admin.