Sign in to follow this  
Dauragon

New york, toronto, ottawa blackout

Quote[/b] ]Major power outage hits New York, other large cities

Thursday, August 14, 2003 Posted: 2058 GMT ( 4:58 AM HKT)

People crowd into the streets of Manhattan during the power outage.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A major power outage simultaneously struck dozens of cities in the United States and Canada late Thursday afternoon.

Cities affected include New York; Boston, Massachusetts; Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Toronto, Ontario; and Ottawa, Ontario. The power outage occurred shortly after 4 p.m.

State officials said the Niagara-Mohawk power grid was overloaded. The grid provides power for New York and stretches into Canada. The officials said the outage is a natural occurrence and not related to terrorism.

Much of Midtown Manhattan and Wall Street were shut down. All area airports and the Long Island Railroad were also affected. The airports were operating on back-up power and operations were reported to be normal, officials said.

The New York City Police Department said they were trying to determine what happened.

Thousands of people could be seen leaving buildings and walking into the streets. New York subways were reported stopped and people were trapped in the cars.

"We are going to have a situation where people are going to have to walk a long distance. They need to be careful," Bloomberg said. "Our advice is to go home, open up your windows, drink a lot of liquids."

Was just watching this on the news. The highways are just packed with people trying to get home.

You beat me to it. mad_o.gifwink_o.gif

Glad it wasn't terrorism. Although it seems one or two engineers are going to get their asses chewed out for not maintaining the power levels properly.

Nah nah nah nah nah, I still got power and AC!

But my favorite OFP server is down.

I hope there isn't the looting in NY like happened back in 1977. High heat + blackout = Christmas in summer

-=Die Alive=-

Somebody left a unpatched win32 box laying around? :P

Probably because of the heat. People turn up their air conditioners and take up tons of juice, i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Someone post some pictures! But wait, there's no light ...

story.power.out.wgcl.jpg

its 17:17 in new york i dont know what u mean....

Hmm. A taste of Baghdad  wink_o.gif

I knew you were behind this!! biggrin_o.gif

There's some switch somewhere turned down that nobody's noticed yet, and it's got your fingerprints on it. tounge_o.gif