Sign in to follow this  
Homer Johnston

Nogova... virus

I actually made this mission over a month ago... it's been sitting on my HD 95% done since, recently I think I finished the last bits involved with it... its a rather linear, scripted mission so not much replay value; if theres demand I will be able to make a more dynamic mission (with the same zombie theme? craziness...) ANYWAY

Type: MP Co-op

Theme:  tounge_o.gif

Players: 1 to 12

Length: ... if you take over like.. a half hour you're probably screwed... unless you like virtua-camping in lil bases...

3rd party Addons: The editor upgrade for Resistance (using 1.91)

Dead zombie body 'stay' times are adjustable from 0 to like 40 seconds... just a roughly implemented thing to possibly reduce CPU load

Edited: my links replaced with Karrillion's 2-mission pack

http://www.aggression.org/karr/nogovavirus.zip

uhh... have fun, and ... uhh.. post bugs (or requests?) here or PM me smile_o.gif and I'll probably get around to fixing it sometime soon... but I got a new system due here Tuesday so make requests quick ;)

Thanks to D.Murphy Man for original bits about zombie scripting... I essentially heavily modified some of his scripts to acommodate my needs smile_o.gif

Thanks! HoJo

Oh yea... it includes some appropriate music so if you're feeling truly adventurous be sure to have that enabled

Very cool man... quite a bit improved from Skye Virus. I really loved the music when they came around, kinda like a shark attack... hehehe.

I have been bugging people to play it with me, including Hellfish6, but he won't... so I hope he dies.

Very good man. Nice smile_o.gif

I especially love that fog script you have.

Would you mind if used the fog script in a mission of mine?

thanks guys wink_o.gif

not at all LoneSoldier, everything is up for grabs. Any questions about it, let me know and I'll be glad to answer.

BlackDog if you're really desperate to play it with someone, you can ask me on... wednesday tounge_o.gif you should be bored of it by then, though unclesam.gif

Alright thanks man!

Now when i used hojo.sqs for those clouds of fog i only got one cloud every couple of seconds, and it was like "why the fuck is there only 1 little cloud floating around the map?!"

So I put: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_fog = 0

#fog

[] exec "hojo.sqs"

_fog = _fog +1

?_fog == 120

goto "fog"

In my init.sqs and my mission would not load. The computer would freeze and i would have to restart it.

So i took that peice of code out of the init.sqs and chucked it in a script called fog.sqs. I then would exec the script at the start of the mission, and there would be clouds engulfing the player, and there were more and more and more and more until my PC froze up...

So how can i give that nice effect that you had?

I played it with Hellfish a few hours ago, as usual, he didn't like it or something. He's very hard to figure out... sometimes he was happy and sometimes he was an idiot because the AI was sneaking up behind him and I was screaming RUN! THEY ARE BEHIND YOU! but then he just let them kill him and then he said the map was stupid but don't listen to him, I hope he dies for this reason.

Anyhoo, good work! I hope you get some kind of respawn system in the next version sad_o.gif

[edited]Lone, skip all this junk and read the bottom paragraph first... if thats bad, then read the explanation that follows this smile_o.gif [/edited]

Heres how it works Lonesoldier...

in my init.sqs, I have it exec hojo.sqs (I really should have made a better name for that LOL) 120 times, this instantly spawns 120 puffs of smoke. Then, all the rest is taken care of by hojo.sqs... looking in it, we see

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#start

foglogic setpos [(getpos player select 0)+(random 80 - 40),(getpos player select 1)+(random 80 - 40),0]

drop ["cl_basic", "", "SpaceObject", 40, random 5+5, [0,0,2], [1,1,0], 0, 1.275, 1, 0, [5],[[1,1,1,0],[1,1,1,.5],[1,1,1,0]],[0],0,0,"","hojo.sqs",foglogic]

exit

a) #start is useless... another figment of my 16 year old brain...

b) I placed a Game Logic and named it "foglogic"... hojo.sqs first moves the foglogic to a random area around the player, then

c) uses the drop command to spawn a whatever-they're-called. The actual dropped fog has a lifetime of random 5+5. In the end of the DROP command array, you see "hojo.sqs"; this is telling it, 'when random 5+5 is over, execute hojo.sqs'

so, every execution of hojo.sqs will create one fog piece that (currently) will never die.

Maybe this will help you figure out your looping problem? hope so, keep me informed... be sure you've included all of <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_fog = 0

#fog

[] exec "hojo.sqs"

_fog = _fog +1

?_fog == 120:goto "after"

goto "fog"

in your fog.sqs

Dunno... if you can't get it working I'll be glad to help more

------

Blackie wants a respawn system eh? don't think that would implicate any serious problems............ I'll try to learn my butt how to activate respawns wow_o.gif thank goodness for ofpec

oh, and thanks for the support vs Hellfish wink_o.gif lol though I understand that some people probably think I'm a freaking gotard for using this theme smile_o.gif but hey, they're just no fun tounge_o.gif

P.S. is there any demand for another one? I started a second one of these a month ago, just the footwork, but I could complete another (slightly different) one if someone gives a dang wink_o.gif

LoneSoldier, I think I just realized your problem-- in fog.sqs, did you forget to have a "#after" entry after the scripting? Otherwise, it will just ignore that and keep looping... alternatively, if your fog.sqs is only there to create the first fog patches, replace ?_fog == 120:goto "after" with ?_fog == 120:exit .. that should halt the script...

Woo!

Thanks so fuckin' much man. Really adds to the atmosphere. smile_o.gif

The fog clouds give it that atmosphere of a hot, swampy, haunted style play area.

Just one more quick question.

Is there any way at all to make the ground have a knee-height layer of fog?

I wouldnt mind using that effect (if possible) on the water, to make it look steamy... tounge_o.gif

According to Vektorboson's drop tutorial ( http://home.arcor.de/vektorboson/en/tuts.html ):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Drop [ShapeName, AnimationName, Type, TimerPeriod, LifeTime, Position, MoveVelocity, RotationVelocity, Weight, Volume, Rubbing, Size, Color, AnimationPhase, RandomDirectionPeriod, RandomDirectionIntensity, OnTimer, BeforeDestroy, Object]

my drop command:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">drop ["cl_basic", "", "SpaceObject", 40, random 5+5, [0,0,2], [1,1,0], 0, 1.275, 1, 0, [5],[[1,1,1,0],[1,1,1,.5],[1,1,1,0]],[0],0,0,"","hojo.sqs",foglogic]

matching them comma by comma, probably the two you'll want to experiment with are [0,0,2] (position) which indicates a height of 2, and [5] (size), which is its height (all of this in meters) ...

some possibilities I can think of would be,

- large size (ie 10), very low position (ie [0,0,-4])  this would create small 'heaps' I think

note that the size is from top to bottom and the position is measured from center... as such, having a 10 meter thing -5 below the ground means none of it will be visible...

-small size, just above ground, and a large number (maybe up to 3.., 4.., 500 to create a lot of small clouds which might look nice (but laggy?)

like most things in life, the best result usually comes from experimentation smile_o.gif

good luck smile_o.gif

[edit] also, from my script [[1,1,1,0],[1,1,1,.5],[1,1,1,0]]

this is the Color array. Note that each element inside the Color Array is an array... this confused me a lot at first wink_o.gif ... you can have as many elements as you like, each 4-number array contained within the Color array is displayed for an even amount of time (it cycles through them in order). The 4-number arrays are in the format [R,G,B,Alpha (transparency)]

to clarify (hopefully):

I used 3... first one is 1,1,1,0 meaning full red, full green, full blue (they are on a scale of 0.0000.. through to 1), and 0 alpha which is fully transparent

then second one is 1,1,1,0.5, which means still all-white color, but it has faded into half-transparency...

third one fades back out to invisible as the life time expires...

if I were to add, oh, say, 1,0,0,1 to the end, then the others would last a shorter time, then after it faded back to invisible it would suddenly come in as a red blob then as soon as it hit full change it would disappear smile_o.gif try it for better understanding.. it's actually quite neat

I need to learn how to write less... lol... sorry smile_o.gif

anyway, hope this helps smile_o.gif

Nice to see ppl making more missions like my skye virus,keep up the good work smile_o.gif

Sadly it will be a while before i get back into OFP mission making so dont expect any new skye viruses any time soon sad_o.gif

Man, this Mission is a cool one.

I played it yesterday for the first time and an hour before that i had seen "28 Days later" .. so let´s say i was in the right mood for it but totally unaware about the mission smile_o.gif

The fog you have added is one of the best features i´ve ever seen in an OFP Mission !

I wanna try this map in coop, must be gr8 fun..

I had to play with the lights on in my computer room! This mission is alot of fun, my only complaint is it was rather short for such an addicting mission. Or maybe it just seemed to short because I was so cought up in it? Either way its a great mission that just goes to show what one can do with flashpoint and a little creativity. Excellent work homer!

thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate the inspiration... keeps me working on #2 here ;) I might have something worth testing by the weekend...

Cheers!

Hudson I will see what I can do about a potential length "issue" with #2 ;) unclesam.gif

Actually after playing it a few more times I feel the time is perfect, right around 30 mins. However we do have a new problem  biggrin_o.gif  Only 4 player slots  sad_o.gif  Funny thing is our server has been running nogova virus for 5 and a half hours so far today, many players keep having to wait till next round to play. Maybe in part two you can add more player slots and increase the number of objectives? Maybe make 4 squads of 4 soldiers all starting from different locations meeting up at different times and carrying out different objectives?  I cant wait to play the next one!  ghostface.gif

Right now it isnt very easy to add more players because of the scripts, but karrillion gave some information that he can use to make the scripts more efficient and can add as many players as needed very easily wink_o.gif

Hudson: I will do my best to create more player slots but I am weary of lag issues (also difficult to implement multiple squad positions in code...) like everything, compromises must be made. My only promise at this point is the next mission will have at least 5 player slots, however given this crazy unexpected amount of demand I will at least try to up it to 7 or 8. Love your avatar by the way biggrin_o.gif

Max; thanks for introducing me ;) I'm currently working out some scripting that will let me use that bit of insight... it does have potential I am glad to say...

Frenchman: The song will stay on my HD... if not this mission, I will find a place for in sometime in the series.

What is to be the next infected island? smile_o.gif

Ill be listening for the song I gave you in the next mission or the next or the next or...

I really enjoyed this level, but my only complaint is that i am having trouble De-Pbo'ing it and uploading it onto the editor. I am only interested in changing units for my own personal use, but i keep getting this error message whenever i open it,

[Preprocessor failed on file Users\DuffLad\missions\NogovaVirus1_0.Noe\description.ext-error 7.] Any help will be appreciated, thanks

Thanks to Hit_Sqd_Maximus, the mission is now available in a 5-player slots version. My angelfire account has run over limit for today, unfortunately, though. (This makes it over limit 5 times in the past week lol) I also took the opportunity to address a bug with the radio. Please inform me if you hit any problems!

DuffLad, what PBO tool are you using? I only suggest PBO Decryptor 1.5 (UnPBO.exe) find it at ofp.info, http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?sekce=utilities ... the others are not compatible with Resistance

I played the version 1.1 today, and there were no zombies! I don't know if it was a one time thing or what, but I dunno. Also, if there's 5 players, one of them has to run from the military base since the HMMWV only fits four. I also edited the mission to use BAS's JAM weapons, but I do plan on cutting the number of M-60 mags and 40mms in half since the M-60 mags carry 200 and the grenades only take up one slot. Only thing I would like to know is how much ammo a 5-ton truck carries

Were did you play 1.1 at?  smile_o.gif

Ooops, I didnt even think about the hummer only carrying 4 slots..... will replace hummer with a 5ton or something