Sign in to follow this  
Schoeler

Bad virus

So I need to get Zone Alarm firewall (freewhare?) and the patch then. Anything else?

Getting a firewall is always a good idea. Download and install the patch from MS. Then get either the program Vixer mentioned or the one i posted a link too and run that smile_o.gif That should do the trick

well I guess its a good thing we were all able to solve this problem b4 everything went haywire... crazy_o.gif

run this program to get rid of the virus BitDefender

i also had the virus, also after the security update from microsoft i still had the virus in my computer but this program solved the problem

i had a hint from someone, When you have a firewall block 135

Symantec site suggested to block port 4444. I already had removed the virus so I didn't bother.

Just to lett all know

It was not BAS the Virus does not transmit with a file it is a crack of windows directly.

It requires no infection of a file it is a true internet worm that scans for certain open ports and propergates across the net without the need to infect files. So if you got it after dloading the BAS addon that was just chance coincedence it happened at the same time. (Those who wrote that may want to edit there posts)

Here is some news from the BBC about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3143625.stm

If you look in in this Off Topic post there is some info on the Microsoft patch needed and ways to get rid of it if you cant dload the patch.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=32917

Kind Regards Walker

I still can't reinstall my Norton 2003 Professional. It just rolls back the entire installation in the last 8 seconds. Tomorrow I'm buying a bigger harddrive and reinstalling my OS, then I'm going to build a bombproof firewall. Take that Geek!

I don't think that it's a virus causing that. I've seen this before with Norton, it's when it has problems connecting to their site or checking your license or something. NAV is a real bugger to reinstall over that's all.

As for trojans, yeah I just remembered I often have to remove some from my windows or windows/system folder. It's not a big deal for me as I usually just get rid of em minutes after they install.

Usually they will come up with some sort of error in this and this file, a file that really shouldn't be running. ;)

You normally get those messages when you share your resources (files) with someone. Do you have file and printer sharing installed?

Sounds really fishy to me. You shouldn't be getting that message unless you share.

...now I'm realy scared! No - I don't share anything with my old pc on the same router. How can I check what/which programe is running?

I just throught about it some more, and I htink what you are experiencing would be normal if you were sharing an internet connection directly through your machine. IE: you have internet coming in, and LAN coming out to hub.

This was problably released by someone who has somthing against BAS or OFP.

(My guess a CS fan)

Its has nothing to do with OFP or BAS...

Watcha been smoking man?

...Can I have some?

I dont have any, its some how comming from the Gastovski, troska etc. thread. biggrin_o.gif

Ontopic: I hope this gets sorted out soon. smile_o.gif

I dont have any, its some how comming from the Gastovski, troska etc. thread. biggrin_o.gif

Ontopic: I hope this gets sorted out soon. smile_o.gif

It has been

Read the thread. It is nothing to do with OFP or BAS

Microsoft released a patch.

Check the links above.

Kind Regards Walker

Yea I currently have a little nerd from the OFP community wasting his life on my computer.

I keep getting an NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM error.

I have no idea what this is, but Malboeuf said it was a trojan and somebody is activating this Batch file that shuts down my computer.

This is getting extremely annoying.

The message has not been popping up.  So I guess the little nerd went to sleep finally...

But yes very annoying.

It's sad to think Freckle-faced, buck tooth, glasses wearing nerds find pleasure in fooling around with somebody elses computer.

Not only that, but I think Virus protection software should track down the sender and send a message to your local police department so they can bust whoever the hell has no life.

Just my thoughts...

Hey, i had that too!!! Everytime i would conect to the net my comp would restart after 2 minuts or so, anoying to say the least, hard to understand why ppl do this crazy_o.gif , im glad i found whats the cause smile_o.gif .

Edit: I believe this started happening after i downloaded BAS MH60 helicopters, this has nothing to do with the integrity of their work and files who are "clean" though smile_o.gif .

Reading security bulletins pays off, I had that patch installed days ago, I always update my anti-vir and my firewall, so at least this time I wasn't affected.

What I am noticing is my ports 135 (netbios) and 4662 (?) are getting hammered, 99% from other "end user client" machines.

Zone Alarm has issues with OFP for some people. It did for me. Outpost is another good free firewall and I have had no problems with it.

-5hole

Well well well,

This patch has been available for the RPC flaw for quite awhile. I patched all of our servers [at work] within days of the patch being created because I KNEW there would be a worm that exploits this.

It definitly looks like everyone is being screwed with by 13 yr old script kids who have downloaded various exploits.

At home I run Win2k, and my RPC Service kept crashing. This was very annoying, because though my computer still ran fine, I lost the ability to control my network connections, and starting the RPC service back up didn't work. sad_o.gif

What's troubling, is I have IPSEC set up to block outside computers from initiating connections to my computer. It seems as if IPSEC is at least partially letting these attacks thorugh. No viruses ever reached my computer, nor did anyone actually compromise my computer in any way apart from my RPC service crashing, but still, IPSEC appears to have dropped the ball. crazy_o.gif

Oh well, I applied the patches and my RPC service has stopped crashing. Gotta hate good ole' Microsoft

I have one funny thing to tell..

my cousin got inernet TODAY and fetched this virus in a timespan of 1 hour or so.

He, as a complete N00b, went almost crazy when his PC rebooted the first time and ended up in his providers Hotline after several other reboots.

I had to lmao when he told me this.

My prob was i couldnt conect to the net without getting me comp restarted and couldnt find the cause, after enabling firewall i could conect again and i would like to thank all you bunch for all the info you guys provided here, its nice to see there are good ppl out there on the net, i will spread the word out, thanx smile_o.gif .

There's one thing that still worries me though. I ran a port scanner on my computer and I found a number of ports in use that I know nothing about. Does anybody know if there's a way to list which programs use which ports under XP?

My ports in use (my firewall has been stopping calls to most of them though):

21 <-- my ftp server

80 <-my web server

Use NETSTAT -a, or better yet, get FPort from Foundstone.

You normally get those messages when you share your resources (files) with someone.  Do you have file and printer sharing installed?

Sounds really fishy to me.  You shouldn't be getting that message unless you share.

...now I'm realy scared! No - I don't share anything with my old pc on the same router. How can I check what/which programe is running?

I just throught about it some more, and I htink what you are experiencing would be normal if you were sharing an internet connection directly through your machine.  IE: you have internet coming in, and LAN coming out to hub.

Hi - sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I've been asleep until a few hours ago. I tried to deselect the automatic windows-update. It didn't work I'm afraid.Oh, and both pc's are connected directly to the router.

Should I just turn in the pc to the dealer to get it fixed?

sad_o.gif

You normally get those messages when you share your resources (files) with someone.  Do you have file and printer sharing installed?

Sounds really fishy to me.  You shouldn't be getting that message unless you share.

I just throught about it some more, and I htink what you are experiencing would be normal if you were sharing an internet connection directly through your machine.  IE: you have internet coming in, and LAN coming out to hub.

Hi - sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I've been asleep until a few hours ago. I tried to deselect the automatic windows-update. It didn't work I'm afraid.Oh, and both pc's are connected directly to the router.

sad_o.gif

Read the thread, run the patch on your pc's ... run the removal tool (one of them). It really does fix it .... in the future make a habbit of it to run updates on a regular basis as this shows it REALLY keeps you from trouble smile_o.gif

sad_o.gif

Read the thread, run the patch on your pc's ... run the removal tool (one of them). It really does fix it .... in the future make a habbit of it to run updates on a regular basis as this shows it REALLY keeps you from trouble smile_o.gif

I've thought about it - but if I have enabled automatic windowsupdate - shouldn't everything be ok then?

sad_o.gif

I've thought about it - but if I have enabled automatic windowsupdate - shouldn't everything be ok then?

Well in theory. But this being a microsoft product i'd download and run the patch to which the link is a bit back in the thread regardless smile_o.gif . It wont hurt anything if it is allready on. Also running the virus fix from symantec is ..... well better safe then sorry smile_o.gif

sad_o.gif

Well in theory. But this being a microsoft product i'd download and run the patch to which the link is a bit back in the thread regardless smile_o.gif . It wont hurt anything if it is allready on. Also running the virus fix from symantec is ..... well better safe then sorry smile_o.gif

Thanks Supah, I'll try it first thing in the morning when I get back from work smile_o.gif

Can you guys cut the crap and remove some of the quotations? LOL biggrin_o.gif

Ouch, night shift work.

This is where it becomes important to have a legal copy of Windows XP, and not some warez version. Starting with SP1, people who have used a key generator to satisfy the Windows XP Activation process found themselves unable to use Windows Update and download Hotfixes.

You get what you pay for.