Sign in to follow this  
VerySolidSnake

Better way to release new addons....

Not many people have heard of this, its a new way to share files called Bit Torrent. It's getting extremely popular and is a very effective way to release new files. In a nutshell, you use your website to become a tracker, this is how people find and connect to the group of people sharing the file. When connected, people download off of each other while they are downloading. The only time downloading and uploading occurs on your computer is when the dialog is up (so no unwanted sharing). You also have seeds (people who have finished the file and keep the dialog box open). So this way will save websites TONS of bandwith.

Thats just a really really basic description of how it works, here's a very detailed FAQ about it >> http://smiler.no-ip.org/BT/BTtutorial.htm

I hope people start using this, its a much more cost effective way of releasing new files. (I say new because eventually theres no more seeds or leechers left, thats when the file should be ultimatly hosted on the website itself)

leave the download for about 5 mins and it will start ;)

it worked very well and was way faster than anything else i have tried, but you can't search with it, so you have to get the d/l links from somewhere else. And many bt sites quitted in the last few weeks...

thats why OFP sites shoudl have the download link posted right on their page, and should be their own trackers.

The reason that many BT sites have quit is because they were filled with illegal files, which attracted MANY visitors which shut them down. The big sites are still up though.

I've hit speeds over 2mb/s (my mouse could hardly move so much information was transferring). While other times i've gotten speeds in the bytes/s range. The more popular the file, the faster it goes.

I have a friend who uses this to download movies,MP3s and games...Isn't it against forum rules to discuss piracy?

But h*ll, if you're responsible enough to not download pirate software ( rock.gif ) then this sounds great blues.gif

BT is good when releasing new "hot" stuff that is guaranteed to have alot of downloads at the same time, the more people are downloading the same time the faster speeds everyone gets... But once the tracker gets "old" and there rarely are people downloading from it it gets slow, as there is only the original source or maybe not even that.

Any one here play Vice City on the PC?

if you do, and you look for addons, they have a thing called Vice City Mod Manager - automatically downloads and installs addons with 3 clicks of the mousehttp://www.gtavicemods.com/

kinda lame tho - attracts lotta n00bs to the community, also apparently they have been accused of stealing addons, or using addons that they didnt have permission for

would be cool to see something like this for ofp, with so many addons out therehttp://www.gtavicemods.com/