Sign in to follow this  
Renagade

Temperature control,bugs and global warming

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3138865.stm

Incase u didn`t realise the UK is stupidly hot* at the moment.

Now the UK doesn`t get stupidly hot so nowhere has air conditioning!!

A plus side to this was having brief spell of lightning and seeing somewhere being hit by it and glowing for a while afterwards.

U guys need to come up with ideas to stop the ppl of the UK from frying.

Obviously fans would be a start but what kind and is there any better cooling solution than fans because i don`t want to be burning up too much electricty with them on all the time and i probably couldn`t get my hands on liquid nitrogen tounge_o.gif

Another side effect of this is there is a hell of a lot more bug around moths,flys,ladybirds,ants and godknowswhat but thankfully not so many wasps or bees.

most of the time i can use insecticide spray or a flamethrower

(aerosol can and zippo) but in confined spaces and in places where food is prepared i can`t use these options so im left with the bb gun and good old fly swat but im considering traps.

What kind of insects occupy ur region and what measures do u go to to deal with them or are u not bothered about them??

One thing im wondering is if this freak weather is caused by gloabl warming and aside from the usuall blame falling on cars, how much damage do the space shuttles and airliners, etc which burn up insane amouns of fuel, do to the atmosphere?

*Another wonderful thing about the UK is whenever the weathers slightly off,be it a little more rain than usual or a little snow something always breaks,fails or shuts down.

In this heatwave the trains were held up because the railway lines were buckling under the heat,if its not leaves on the line amongst other things and the prices they charge for a ride crazy_o.gif.

When theres a little extra rain,rivers burst the banks and ppls houses get flooded.

If theres a little more snow the roads get blocked and when the bastard gritter truck comes along it sprays grit everywhere like it was being shot out with a pellet gun.

Usually around 50F or 60F on cold days in Southern California... 70F to 80F on warm/mid hot days.... and 90F on burning hot days.

In my computer it is hell.

Edit: Before you even ask, though it may seem like it, I do NOT live in my computer case.

moving to continent might solve your problems .... but i can't think of anybody who will shelter several millions of Roatbeeves tounge_o.gif

no , but seriously , just look at France right now , there are almost no fans remaining in shops , water is lacking for agriculture and our own personnal use , each day , huge fires get started in the south .... one thing though , we don't have any probs with our railways and trains .....

Usually around 50F or 60F on cold days in Southern California... 70F to 80F on warm/mid hot days.... and 90F on burning hot days.

This is too freaky, been close to 100F last couple of days, it aint meant to be like this here  mad_o.gif

*EDIT* In England I'm referring too.

I hate it mad_o.gif

Checked my computer last night and the CPU was running at 78C

It's 88 right now, 30% chance of rain (which we despreately need, my lawn is mostly brown right now).

I can't wait to get a freezing cold Kansas winter. biggrin_o.gif

Not to mention it's hell (excuse the pun) to sleep in sad_o.gif

Hehe...I pity tha fools who have black leather car upholstery tounge_o.gif

Once in Sicily I burnt my nether region by getting in the car crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif (It was a FIAT 500 so no, there wasn't any airco biggrin_o.gif )

Quote[/b] ]The hot weather means an extra three million pints of beer are expected to be have been downed across Britain over the weekend.

And on that bombshell, I'm off to the pub!

good thing i bought my air conditioning in winter, you can't even buy the most expensive one here, its all sold out lol ghostface.gif

ya its fuking boiling,i havent had one good nights sleep since this heat wave,and right now im sitting in my boxers sticking to my chair. crazy_o.gif

but it seems we all ways complain about the british weather.if its pissing down we complain,and when its boiling hot we complain!

Oh well just the way we are i suppose.

Yes ineed it's hot in here. (well not here but in rest of the europe) Today a mate who is on a vacation in Croatia called and told me about the warmth. He had to use a big ass fan. And there were forest fires everywhere.

Yeap. It's the hottest driest summer here in over 50 years! It's starting to cloud over now, but we've had a month of 35+ degrees every day! And this is fricking Canada ;)

And lots of fires. The two biggest ones were caused by morons and their cigarrette butts. Last time i heard they had spent nearly 50 million fighting those two fires! Too bad there is no wayt to collect from fuckwit smokers who cant dispose of their garbage in a safe manner. I had one guy tell me he refuses to use his ashtray in his car, because it makes the car smelly and dirty... and instead he flicks his cigarette butts out the window! crazy_o.gifmad_o.gifcrazy_o.gifmad_o.gif

And there were forest fires everywhere.

France is getting short on Canadairs , the firemen are all terribly diminished , the firemen have more health problems due to heat than to smoke and fire , some of our firetrucks haven't been completely checked , most firemen now don't bother anymore since they only thing they could achieve as they are now would be getting caught into a fire

our choppers are too light to be usefull , we've rented several russian MI26 fire helicopters , but the deployment of all the fire dispositive is costing more and more , the situation is quite disastrous

today 500hA burnt near a natiopnal park , and the fire continues tonight

there have been approximative caclulations which say that about 25.000hA have burnt since the beginning of the summer

most of these fires are of criminal origins

and btw , i can't sleep anymore at night , i often go to bed at 3am to wake up at 5am and in the afternoon , i sleep for about 3 to 5 hours consecutively after eating and when i wake up i got this weird feeling of choking

i drink up to 6 litters of water a day , and even when i drink much less i feel like i'm loosing every single drop of water contained by my body , my sofas , my bed , my armchairs are all awfully wet , my wife yells at me and wants me to put a bath sheet under myself when lying on my bed or my sofas

i've never sweated so much , and the reason for that is the inactivity i'm experiencing these days

i'm sure i've lost about 4 to 5 kilos since the beginning of the heatwave

and you know the worst ? a friend of mine living in La Réunion (french oversea county) laughed at me poor metropolitan , the bastard had 5 to 10 centimeters of snow

today's temperatures :

41°C outside -edit-: that one was taken in the shadow

33°C inside in mormal rooms

42°C in the kitchen

47°C in the office

31°C in the bedroom

25°C in the first floor living room

all the windows , doors and shutters have been closed

Im roasting like a ..... chicken in a oven  biggrin_o.gif

The only way i find to get to sleep is to to get really tired.

Here (Portugal) we've had the hottest summer in 20 years temperatures reaching 45 degrees celsius in the shade this month, at least 12% of this small country's woodlands and dozens of villages are burnt to the ground (mainly by the hand of criminal actions, lunatics and real estate developers and wood merchants)

The police found out today about a Cessna dropping incendiary bombs up in the mountains!!! Investigations are underway...

I went for a drive to see with my own eyes the state my country is in and im shocked,its like whole regions were A-bombed,one thing is garanteed, the guys who are being convicted of larceny will most likely die of accidents in jail,i really hope so.

On a lighter note my CPU is near meltdown when OFP or any other demanding program is on...so, i got a monster fan from the tv studio i work in, and its pointing at the pc's open case  tounge_o.gif  I wonder what my electrical bill will be this trimester... sad_o.gif

I live in the southern part of France since nearly 20 years now , i spent the 10 first years of my life in several part of this country

It is the first year i had to live under such hot condition .

For the (mostly criminal mad_o.gif ) fires that are burning a lot of things there , it is an ideal weather , all the vegetation is really dry and the fire is using them as if it was petrol sad_o.gif

Firemen are real heroes to do what they do , with the time they are exhausted , the weather is making all worse and they continue to fight .

I have no sympathy for you Brits- it regularly goes above 100 degrees F here, and rarely will be below a high of 90 during the summer. I hate you all.

Cant u just burn out all the bushes and stuff in a controlled manner or will that burn too many ppl ??

Oh well at least the bugs are getting incinerated biggrin_o.gif

@ Aug. 10 2003,21:55)]I have no sympathy for you Brits- it regularly goes above 100 degrees F here, and rarely will be below a high of 90 during the summer. I hate you all.

1. You're used to it.

2. AC which we don't have, at work I have to have a portable fan sat on my desk rock.gif

Here (Portugal) we've had the hottest summer in 20 years temperatures reaching 45 degrees celsius in the shade this month, ...

We´re also having a damn hot time here in Germany.

It feels like being on vacation in Turkey or so..

I´ve read we have now the hottest temperatures since the beginning of recording weather data for scientifcal use (or whatever, dunno how to explain). The whole week we had Temp´s between 32° & 42° Celsius.

I think we have to get used to it...

24 here today, and it goes down to 18 at night, perfect sleeping weather.

-=Die Alive=-

@ Aug. 10 2003,21:55)]I have no sympathy for you Brits- it regularly goes above 100 degrees F here, and rarely will be below a high of 90 during the summer. I hate you all.

1. You're used to it.

2. AC which we don't have, at work I have to have a portable fan sat on my desk  rock.gif

1. I ain't use to cool weather, but you don't see me complaining about it when it comes around. wink_o.gif

2. Awwww.... tounge_o.gif

Cant u just burn out all the bushes and stuff in a controlled manner or will that  burn too many ppl ??

Oh well at least the bugs are getting  incinerated biggrin_o.gif

in the actual conditions , no fire can be 100% controlled , way too dangerous ..

I live in the southern part of France since nearly 20 years now , i spent the 10 first years of my life in several part of this country

It is the first year i had to live under such hot condition .

For the (mostly criminal mad_o.gif ) fires that are burning a lot of things there , it is an ideal weather , all the vegetation is really dry and the fire is using them as if it was petrol sad_o.gif

Firemen are real heroes to do what they do , with the time they are exhausted , the weather is making all worse and they continue to fight .

where do you live ?

and btw , yeah firemen are heroes but they're reaching their operational limits and the worst is that almost no departement can detach fire elements to the south

Well, it was 111 yesterday, with 80% humidity, and we still managed to have a huge thunder-storm. There is definitly something up with the weather...