Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Not using islands?

I've got nothing against islands if they are big and are properly made for each theater of operation.

Please stop ranting how bad it was to choose Africa, Europe and Vietnam. They've already decided about them and there is nothing you can do about it. If you don't know what happened in Africa in the seventies, how about countless of civil wars, coups, fighting for natural wealth such as diamonds, foreign mercenaries and Cubans landing in Angola.

If that doesnt sound exciting and new then I don't know what does. They made a mature selection, not relying on hyped modern stuff like Iraq, Somalia etc.

Personally I couldn't have hoped for better era or location.

Couldn't have said it better myself smile_o.gif

Keep in mind the that OFP universe is largely fictional - ie. fictional conflicts set in historically accurate context. BIS might end up creating a fictional, yet incredibly interesting, conflict in each of the locations.

Also, by creating three different environments (Africa, Central Europe and SE Asia) we should essentially have all we need to create other environments anywhere in the world.

It's hard to imagine BIS will sacrifice any of the features of OFP1 that made it such a popular game (ie. mission making, no "walls" etc.) just to implement other features, so we can all be pretty confident that whatever BIS has planned for OFP2 will be a step above what we have now...

Streaming Terrain = *obscene*.

Stick with Islands.

How are you going to be able to make missions on terrain that is random?

Keep the Islands BIS. Streaming Terrain sounds *obscene* gay, and is a stupid decision.

I Totally agree with that. The islands are great.

Note I have edited the mild profanity used in his post, but if you would like to see it then go back a couple of pages.

I dont think it is too difficult to have the complete world covered more or less.

Look at MS flightsimulator. It has the whole world covered. There is mesh terrain, altough not in a very great resolution, but its easy to enhance that with calculations realtime.

Also the houses and vegetation could be autogenerated depeding on the landclass textures.

We just have to wait and see I guess..

My guess is that BIS makes huge gaming areas like 100kmx100km and then the 'empty space' would be just endless terrain with lesser detail than main area (still keeping the same foliage and ground look). Of course terrain maker could choose whether this empty space would be sea or ground and also decide how big the main area would be wink_o.gif. Placing units to this 'empty space' in editor should also be possible.

Streaming Terrain = *obscene*.

Stick with Islands.

How are you going to be able to make missions on terrain that is random?

Keep the Islands BIS. Streaming Terrain sounds *obscene* gay, and is a stupid decision.

I Totally agree with that. The islands are great.

Note I have edited the mild profanity used in his post, but if you would like to see it then go back a couple of pages.

Where the hell did you get the idea that terrain streaming = random terrain ??! rock.gif

It means that only a portion of the map is loaded at a certain time and updated without impact on gameplay (as stated by Suma) when the player is moving.

Where does the word "random" appears in the above sentence? Nowhere.This is not "streaming or island debates". You can definitively have islands with terrain streaming from what I understood.

So please, before saying "this is bullshit, I won't buy, blah blah...", do not judge something we do not know how it will be. We don't have any idea of how it will be other than "the terrains will be much larger", "there will be no limit on the size of the map".

Did you think before OFP that there can be a game with no boundries? wink_o.gif

Well... there is a classic game called Asteroids ;-)

Do you know what I mean? ;-)))

As long as I can make 1941 Crete for OFP2 I don't care what the rest of you think.

Thats an Island 120m x 40m. (roughly) Hopefully that should be doable in a streaming environment.

I am more worried about actually editing the terrain and placing objects than playing the game.

It would be nice if Visitor (3?) could merge projects with other players so that sections of OFP2 maps could be assigned to different people.

smile_o.gif

what about getting a few guys to sneak over to planetsides developer's studios and find out how they did it

N/M the thousands of players you can have...

If the maps are big enough to fit all the OFP 1 Islands with proper distances between in one map I'll be more than happy.