Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Shadow

Cti- worst thing to happen to ofp

I always wondered why so many like cti? And why bring such a gametype to OPF? It just doesnt fit! theres many RTS games out with tiny little tanks and soldiers and much more complex gameplay and possibilities, i personnaly hate all that crap with a passion.

OPF is about the soldier, the pilot, etc. To simulate grunt behaviour in diferent scenarios, situations and operations.

Im all for tactics and teamwork but what is cool to see in OPF is groups of players working together to achieve something but on a more realistic small operation scale, not to send 2/3 guys to one village only for a message saying "west captured Modrava" to give away their positions and for a Hind to blow up all the town. And soldiers earning money for capturing towns, and buildings and vehicals to apear out of nowhere, or teams of 20 soldiers each to try and hold an intire island, cmon... soldiers earning money to buy tanks and helicopters and jets. Simulation remember? wink_o.gif .

I always wondered why so many like cti? And why bring such a gametype to OPF? It just doesnt fit! theres many RTS games out with tiny little tanks and soldiers and much more complex gameplay and possibilities, i personnaly hate all that crap with a passion.

OPF is about the soldier, the pilot, etc. To simulate grunt behaviour in diferent scenarios, situations and operations.

Im all for tactics and teamwork but what is cool to see in OPF is groups of players working together to achieve something but on a more realistic small operation scale, not to send 2/3 guys to one village only for a message saying "west captured Modrava" to give away their positions and for a Hind to blow up all the town. And soldiers earning money for capturing towns, and buildings and vehicals to apear out of nowhere, or teams of 20 soldiers each to try and hold an intire island, cmon... soldiers earning money to buy tanks and helicopters and jets. Simulation remember? wink_o.gif .

Now here's good point. I fully agree with Heatseeker.

The net is fairly impersonal anyway but for people to be able to hop into a game and leave at any time made the games seem to have even less of a point than before. Who won/lost? Who cares - on to the next game - so what's the point? It is fun during but there's not as much a sense of accomplishment if most everyone on the team at the end isn't who you started with. In OFP without join in progress you have your team for the game and that's it.

Man, if you can join either/all sides if more than 1, anytime, I don't think I wan't it after all. What if some punk decides it's cool to support each side for 2 minutes at a time?! Uh huh. He must be 10. And a c... shh biggrin_o.gif

Damn good point Heatseeker, tho I never saw it that way. I saw it as a coding accomplishment, as the money system was new and all, still is an impressive piece of work. The real system, bureaucracy, would be better then huh? wink_o.gif

Indeed, it is a great acomplishment and i recognise the value, skill and work from the scripters/mission makers.

But i stick to my opinion that it doesnt feel right in OPF, im a total realism maniac, if OPF was from me you wouldnt have grunts flying jets or using tanks. But i accept and have to respect others opinions and tastes, people host and play whatever they like smile_o.gif .

Yea I prefer quite hardcoded Coops with a story too, that's the other end. Nothing from in between. Except... One age old thing comes to mind, a predecessor of CTI, TheCaptains Homeland Security. Now that was from in between, with a selection of unit type and weaponry/vehicles accordingly (if I remember right). Shame that it never was as big a hit as CTI. Well it was just an advanced team death match really, but even that is better than CTI... kinda. If there was really complex civilian behaviour in it, with rowdy mobs and all, interacting with the local resistance, who knows maybe it would get interesting. Still the grunt piloting... fgettaboutit.

This is exactly why even though I get complaints from some players that like it I do not provide CTI missions on the server I run. It's just not Flashpoint. wink_o.gif

Admittedly it seems the type that like CTI are also the type that enjoy more arcade style gameplay and maybe flashpoint is not right for them in the first place so they feel the need to "dumb it down".

smile_o.gif

thats abit over-generalising don't you think? I like CTI games but it doesn't mean I prefer arcadish games, quite the contrary I hate arcadish (DM for instance) with a passion

Im not saying its realistic, but its not an arcase type game either, with the right people it can be quite interesting (all on the same side vs AI, working together)

Yeah, and i only like single player because only single player is true ofp. I think all mp servers should be shut down cause they are not true ofp.

And if you think that sounds stupid then read your own post again.

To keep it short: without CTI I would not play OFP anymore.

Coops are nice the first time but boring if you play them again.

CTF is too simple (from a strategical point of view).

/edit: I buy an "o" ;)

I always wondered why so many like cti? And why bring such a gametype to OPF?

Cause it's a tactical and strategical coop.

Quote[/b] ]i personnaly hate all that crap with a passion
You are free to hate what you want.
Quote[/b] ] OPF is about the soldier, the pilot, etc. To simulate grunt behaviour in diferent scenarios, situations and operations.

Sorry, but i don't get that. What is the difference to a CTI-Game?

Quote[/b] ]

Im all for tactics and teamwork but what is cool to see in OPF is groups of players working together to achieve something but on a more realistic small operation scale, not to send 2/3 guys to one village only for a message saying "west captured Modrava" to give away their positions and for a Hind to blow up all the town.

Hmmm .... did u ever play a CTI-Game? here you have lots of small operations in one game. The enemy will only get the "enemy has conquered ..."-message if he had conquered this town befor ... kind of realistic i think. Normaly you'll know if the enemy conqueres your town.

Quote[/b] ] And soldiers earning money for capturing towns, and buildings and vehicals to apear out of nowhere

rock.gif  Afaik there are "Factorys" and "Barracks" where u can built and train units.

Quote[/b] ]or teams of 20 soldiers each to try and hold an intire island, cmon

There are between 7 and 9 Players on each side ... each player can "hire" a whole group (11 AIs), so there are about 216 units fighting on the island ....

Quote[/b] ] OPF is about the soldier, the pilot, etc. To simulate grunt behaviour in diferent scenarios, situations and operations.

Sorry, but i don't get that. What is the difference to a CTI-Game?

Quote[/b] ]

Im all for tactics and teamwork but what is cool to see in OPF is groups of players working together to achieve something but on a more realistic small operation scale, not to send 2/3 guys to one village only for a message saying "west captured Modrava" to give away their positions and for a Hind to blow up all the town.

Hmmm .... did u ever play a CTI-Game? here you have lots of small operations in one game. The enemy will only get the "enemy has conquered ..."-message if he had conquered this town befor ... kind of realistic i think. Normaly you'll know if the enemy conqueres your town.

Quote[/b] ] And soldiers earning money for capturing towns, and buildings and vehicals to apear out of nowhere

rock.gif  Afaik there are "Factorys" and "Barracks" where u can built and train units.

Medicus, the difference is that in Coop you usually have dedicated soldiers for flight, ground and possibly even sea battle. In CTI any soldier can do any of the 3. A grunt in the sticks of an A-10, wee, usually a bad player wastes the teams 10000 or however many OFP-dollars it is, which is the next target of my whining. It is an easy way out of the dilemma of designing a reward system. While everything else is neatly scripted, the money system should go and be replaced with C&H style 'hold-time equals points', where when you gain points, the zone is safe for the side to use for own infrastructure. I'm talking about harnessing a town ofcourse, not the middle of nowhere where a base can now be built. That brings me to the 3rd target of whinage: As if towns are the property of a side who once was there but left? Only if there's infrastructure and civilians of the same side there. Which is now the case only barely.

The soldier amount/island size ratio is quite accurate tho.

Lastly why would anyone buy ofp in the first place if they know they'll only play coops once and CTF never? Waste of money in that case.

Well now I have stepped on to the darkish side, designing an 'in-between' style mission where you have base respawn and must destroy enemy establishments. All random in every way. Features Mapfacts Gebadeue2 for bunkers, quite a lot of DKM units (around which the plot evolves), MAP units and all the freakin dialogs and scripting-candy my team has ever made, totalling one mb as a folder. It's basicly an adv.Coop, you can choose type of respawn, how many establisments to destroy (after which 3rd obj. is active, a climatic ending, something that CTI doesn't really have) and if the HQ is mobile (do ya wanna take out your satellite & support uplink & weapon stock to the field when you can loose them). Hmm, sounds too good to be true. But it's so close to being ready that I can't fail. End of OT shit. I just know I'll enjoy that way more than CTI. It has ways of making the teammate useful even when dying a lot.

Agree.

Got it now. But i like CTI anyway. Especially the new one by Cleanrock (CTI CR 3.3 and CTI CR 3.4).

Mfg MEDICUS

Quote[/b] ]But i like CTI anyway.

Weeeeeeee!!! CTI 4 everrr!!!  tounge_o.gif

What a wonderful way to to use your creativity in the combat field, just as MI_Fred said, anyone can do anything! Sweet. It's all about the relaxation after a hard days study my friends.

tuvvittu.jpg

I was bored in every CTI game I ever played. I would end the game realising I spent 4 hours hanging out with a bunch of AI while my team mates did the same at another town.

Definition of boredom, but hey I play MP so that I can interact with real people not so I can play singleplayer online.

But there will be those for CTI, and those against, and as much as we would like to say "What the hell is wrong with you snap out of it man!" we'll have different opinions. Except my opinion happens to be no CTI on my server so thankfully myself and the other players don't have to deal with it. wink_o.gif

That's ok. But obviously there are lots of people who are enjoying it. Just saying "that is not ofp" is plain dumb, cause who has the right to tell others how to play a game. And ofp is a game. OFP is not real. Everyone who ever fired a gun knows that. So talking in terms of realism is stupid also. I could not shoot other people, but i can play ofp. Because it is not realistic. People like a certain degree of realism in their games, and ofp has a fair share, maybe more than other games, but that makes the gaming experience not like the real experience. And my grunts in coop can fly planes and choppers too.

Basically it boils down to having a great gaming experience. Some do have that with cti, others don't. Some people don't like ofp at all. But this "i am the only judge of what true ofp is" attitude is bullshit.

BTW: i have never played 4h of cti, usually it lasts 2-2.5h at the max and i usually play pvp. I guess ctf and tdm versus ai isn't that good either.

BTW2: CR CTI

i am one of those cti-playing people. i admit i have wayyyy to much free time in that i can play several cti games back to back if i want, but it is very fun IMO if you have the time, the luck and the openmindedness.

one thing first off. Yes yes we all know this game is a combat simulation, but hell it ain't just that for we can do so much more with the game and make it fit all our needs. Sadly it would be too boring after a while without something new to try out in the game. . . .

Cti is one of the best things i've ever seen for multiplayer for OFP.  I mean chopper shit this and chopper that or tank this or tank that was fun and shit but hell, it got really old after a long time of playing that.  Cti on the other hand is real strategy and if you play the cards right you can have the enemy looking left and right, thinking thats your base when you have 3 or 4 other bases.  Its like RA-2 or Generals gone OFP:RES and its completely awesome.

Now if some people think CTI is one of the reason for the OFP downfall and shit, shame on you.  Look up facts people before you assume something because reason for the downfall is because you have to look at how old this game is.  I've been playing Operation Flashpoint now for three years and a few months ( I think ) and Resistance since it came out.  I have had my downfalls and times when I thought hell ive been playing this game way to long move on to something else.  I ocasionally get in that mood and do so.  But the reason for the downfall is because other people realize that either they're wasting there time playing a game that is pretty old when they can be playing other games with newer graphics, better video, and a whole bunch of other shit that is true in some ways and wrong in others.  Thats the reason why a majority of the people have left OFP.  Its old.  And for some people, it just....gets old.

Point made, CTI is one of the best MP types out there.  And if you go online, sadly all you CTI hating fans, we overwhelm you because when i'm on, majority of the servers have CTI games or CTI variants up and ready to play away!  CTI A _OY! biggrin_o.gif  smile_o.gif

~Bmgarcangel

Now if some people think CTI is one of the reason for the OFP downfall and shit, shame on you.  Look up facts people before you assume something because reason for the downfall is because you have to look at how old this game is.

The only downfall I see is the one someone else sees somewhere where it clearly isn't happening, when it is infact only happening in their heads.

Perhaps it's just me. I do not see an end to matters like this. There is a community now, when will it not be? When the size of it is 1? I wonder what will become of the downfall when Ofp2 comes out? It's still the same community, only now, growing again.

Are you so embarrased of playing CTI that you must come up with silly comebacks when you clearly have been slain biggrin_o.gif J/K.

If CTI had a plot, I'd like it. But as it doesn't, I have to make it when I play. That is the criteria of my interest, something that makes you awe at the twists. Perhaps RT plot making is too much. Perhaps CTI is an attempt to just hijack OFP to the leach of C&C. It had a plot! So, a sad attempt. You have to be simplem... *not gona say that* to be amused of it. About 10 games did it for me, then it got ... yes ... repetitive. How do you stand that? How do you still stand that new versions come out only on Everon FGS?!!? If M.Melvin has a real life I suggest he sticks with it and stops fueling the community with this little he can give.

Ok I've heard there's some whackin new stuff in it, perhaps even an FDF based one coming. If someone will succeed in that (AI actually moving to ambush tank columns with ATGM's and stuff), I will certainly have a look.

Join in progress has been mentioned a few times. I used to be for it until I played battlefield 1942. In the beginning it was great. You could join any game in progress if there was a slot. Eventually though I began to see how impersonal it was. The net is fairly impersonal anyway but for people to be able to hop into a game and leave at any time made the games seem to have even less of a point than before. Who won/lost? Who cares - on to the next game - so what's the point? It is fun during but there's not as much a sense of accomplishment if most everyone on the team at the end isn't who you started with. In OFP without join in progress you have your team for the game and that's it. If you could guarranty who was going to join your team during the game it would be OK to have join in progress (passworded server for example). But to have anyone wander into your team, do something helpful or not, then leave, repeat, repeat, repeat, it ruins the immersion. Maybe there's a better way to do it or ways to prevent those issues, not sure.

I agree with this completely. It wouldn't necessarily be a good thing to have random people jumping into the game in the middle just to have the teams full. But if there was a scripting option that allowed for the server to only let the person that disconnected rejoin (ie. matching name and id) then it would be GREAT. Most good CTI games can easily become boring wastes of time if players disconnect due to some problem. If these people could rejoin it would make for games with more people in them, that would likely end more quickly.

wink_o.gif Hopefully BIS will add some feature like this to the scripting within OFP2, since I'm sure that they will include join in progress ability. wink_o.gif

Having the opinion that CTI sucks is fine, but if you don't like it just don't play it. There are servers that play different maps all of the time, and I'm sure they would love to have more players.  If your favorite server sometimes gets tied up with CTI, talk to its admin and see if he'd get rid of it or place limits on when it can be played. Otherwise, go somewhere else.

I DO think that there would be a major improvement in the quality of an average CTI game if the net code for OFP was optimized and strengthened, use 64bit at least in the server code and the ability to have multiple processor servers utilized (I think a AMD Athlon64 FX-51 Dual Processor Server with 2 gig of RAM could do anything! There just isn't any use for it atm.), so hopefully BIS will add this into OFP2. I would love to see CTI with 15-20 people on each team, it would be the most realistic fighting experience available. Unfortunately, CTI is just too complex for a single processor to handle atm in any larger form. If it could be done it would. And I dont see bandwidth as too much of a problem, as most service providers would be to ones to have to upgrade, not the players. Just look at Roughnecks Whorehouse, that server has 4+ mb u/l & 7+ mb d/l, if that isn't enough for 30-40 people to play then I dont know what would be.

Also, another thing with CTI is that the majority of servers running it constantly just aren't up for the task.  Places like Auria just don't have the processing power for the game to make it to completion, so people drop out in the middle.  If only servers that could play the game did, you wouldn't see nearly as much mid game ditching.  If you really want to complain about something, complain that a server thats running 2-3 CTIs at the same time SHOULDN'T BE, 4 they may be able to handle just one.  At least with IFE 0.92 (after all, how could 500+ user placed objects ever be good to a server.)

I'll stop ranting now.  I like CTI personnally, if you don't- kewl.  I dont really see how it's "destroyed" the OFP community.  I didn't play online much until CTI came out.  DM and CTF are ok, but aren't very realistic and end up as spawn camping BS more often then not.  When I play coop, I play with friends on a LAN, so  tounge_o.gif .  Anyway...

-Cos.

P.S.  If your sick of games with people leaving and ruining it, come play with us on the 10th Special Forces server.  You'll need to get the MFCTI CR 3.0+ addons first, so follow this link.

http://cr-ofp.dyndns.org/index.php?id=8

You'll need the cti-addons1.0, KEGak107, and barracken files.

It is an easy way out of the dilemma of designing a reward system. While everything else is neatly scripted, the money system should go and be replaced with C&H style 'hold-time equals points', where when you gain points, the zone is safe for the side to use for own infrastructure. I'm talking about harnessing a town ofcourse, not the middle of nowhere where a base can now be built. That brings me to the 3rd target of whinage: As if towns are the property of a side who once was there but left? Only if there's infrastructure and civilians of the same side there. Which is now the case only barely.

If this is what your after, check Central Wars at our site (link below).

Quote[/b] ]If anything, CTI's the best thing to happen to OFP.

Spot on. In a word: CTI owns your grandmother.

I prefer it to RTS because it's a much more feasible option for co-op. Which I prefer to play anyhow. I just get a bunch of friends together on the LAN and it's great fun. I can't wait for 1.15 coop.

RTS also requires a beefy machine because of (last I recall) the excessive use of choppers by the ai and the ridiculous amount of carcasses that they leave behind which lag the game all to hell.

... that, and another strike against poor old RTS is the fact that with the latest releases that I saw, they all required addons. Which sucks. I like being able to put my own addons into maps, but I actually prefer maps with the stock addons so I can make my own modifications and test them without having to download a bunch of junk.

I do like the concept of -both- RTS and CTI, however despite my liking the features of RTS. CTI pretty much does the same thing and it's just more practical. Not to mention I prefer a balance between ground and air combat. All those damn choppers in RTS...

If you want to just go shoot some stuff, CTI is not your game. With CTI you create billions of new tactics. Where I once thought of 3 ways to kill AI in montignac, I know now at least 25. Assaulting Davle has become so much easier for me. I now know absolutely EVERYWHERE to hit, and where someone could hide. Same goes for defending, I know exactly where to hide. CTI teaches you everything again.

Give it a chance.

What a stupid Thread ! crazy_o.gif

1 - If you dont like CTI, dont play it !

2 - If you do like CTI, play it !

3 - No one mission type can ruin a game / community !

Some ppl dont like CTF or DM or Coop or Single Player Missions or etc etc etc. I dont see that killing the game!

Step back a minute, how old is this game !

Amazing isn't it biggrin_o.gif

A great game with a great community when anyone can play any version they like, make & use any mission they like, make & use any addon they like ...........

Gnat @ Feb. 14 2004,18:32)]What a stupid Thread !  crazy_o.gif

1 - If you dont like CTI, dont play it !

2 - If you do like CTI, play it !

3 - No one mission type can ruin a game / community !

Exactly!

I hope people find this post somewhat on topic as I want to address some (accurate) complaints about how CTI runs on some servers. When I began playing CTI on Stoner's SHoP server most games ended in a mess of desync often resulting in restarting the app. This was MF's original public version of CTI and it had some issues with code efficiency, lack of limitations on objects, and lack of limitations on what I feel are the MAJOR cause of maximum desync - HE guns, vulcans, and shilkas.

I began reworking MFCTI and released several SHoP CTI versions and WGCTI up through version 1.58. Efforts were mainly in the area of reducing server load and improving server performance. I've tinkered with a lot of other stuff as well always with the idea in mind of helping games get resolved more quickly,hopefully improving fun, and reducing game stopping desync.

If one is interested in the specifics of my newest version:

http://www.soldbuysam.com/ofp/cti/changelog.htm

My purpose of posting here is to hopefully interest some new people in CTI or perhaps those who were turned off by some of the issues mentioned above. If you hate CTI because it has no definite end or doesn't run well on servers maybe we can do something to help that. Finally, without the efforts of MF, CTI wouldn't be possible so despite the things I'd like to change/fix which are just my opinion, proper recognition for MF's achievement shouldn't be forgotten.

regards,

SSG Plazmoid