Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Shadow

Cti- worst thing to happen to ofp

Don't bring back the "good old days" of SHOP ,personally i played a lot on SHOP and really i hated most of the players that played on it ,mostly because guys like Terox ,Daywalker and many other SHOP guys always had to play toghether as a hardend vet team against all the other peeps in the server ,with the result that new players comming to the server always had kinf-da hatefull games ,as most of the Shop players wern't that shameless that they wouldn't spawn kill for score ,in fact they did it in many occasion's ,and generally chose maps that fitted their goal of that sort of camping.

The only way you could like SHOP was if you were a part of the regular's ,the so called vet's.And so they believe they had a community their ,those 15-20 regulars that used to win about every game as they chose maps and teams so that they would win.Fact is that many people hated SHOP and it's people ,i only could apriciatte it somewhat later on when i could actually kill some to a lot of these guys on my own.

Another thing i have to complain about the "good old Shop days" was the arrogance of many of the moderator's on that server.They were rude ,banned people for virtually nothing ,kicked people for spawncamping while they were doing it themself's and teamkilled players when they were using "their" helicopter.It was like they thought they were the god's of OFP play.

I myself play MP Ofp for over years now ,and am a hardend vet who can kill most other hardened vets.I played on many server's and made many friend's over time.I surely didn't need SHOP for making buddy's .And i can tell you i made many buddy's in actual CTI game's ,in fact there has been a long period of where i used to go to one server almost every day to play CTI there because i had many friend's there ,Guys maybe not that known to the Shop players here ,but rest assure there are more server's who have regullar's of vet's who constantly play games of theyre liking ,like CTF ,C&H ,COOP or CTI.There are so many server's out there who have regular's ,of all nationality's.Maybe you Shop guys are only to nostalgic to youre good old days to see that CTI at place's actually promote's commoradrie.

Though i think Shop more or less died because of Zeus and the move of many of the regular's from Shop to Zeus to play addon's like Seb Nam.

If this is Apollo from PBC than i am sure the same type of thing happens on citadel. PBC want to play togethor as a squad on ts.

Spawn killing i do not know where you are coming from there. Most maps were C&H with transport helos very hard to spawn camp. Alot of ambushing was done on some maps but that is not spawn killing. I never saw any regs spawn killing. If someone is ambushing you take them out or you go around them rendering them useless.

I think cti is what the game developers of operation flashpoint wanted it to be like really.

It really involves tactics and team work. It is so varied, you cannot have 2 games which are the same with it. You can be completely different roles from one game to the next.

However yeh the no joining a game in progress is lame and the length of the game is kinda bad. To be honest i dont like any other OFP game type as much as i like CTI

I had a few players begging for CTI months back, I immediately saw that it would cause problems but I let them have their wish so they could see for themselves.

Not long later I was begged to remove it  wink_o.gif

So CTI missions are now automatically moved out of the server's map list between 4pm in the afternoon and 12am midnight, so the majority of the "prime time" on the server I run is spent with fun coops, competitive ctf's, large scale C&H's, innovative coop with real players assisting the AI on both teams, and many more.

CTI is 15-20 people playing single player who may or may not interact with anyone else but AI during the course of the game.

We all know thats not what Flashpoint was made for, there needs to be variety in missions, and as we can't JIP those missions need to end within a reasonable time.

As Lead admin of OGN this is my philosophy anyway.

Cheers,

Battle field and cti are the jewels of the scripting in ofp. the problem is.......... well see above.

I like to play battle field but i think it would be funner if ofp could handle more people. I think CTI needs about 30 on 30 to be fun and we can't do that.

Maybe with 64 bit and a faster net in the future we will be able to with out having to pay per month to play big games like that.

And there are RTS.. Not the same as CTI.. The few CTI experiences I've had took several hours each. RTS is a lot faster with more fire power.

In CTI I'm happy if I can build a Cessna after 30 minutes.

In RTS I'm pissed if I can't build an MI24 after 30 minutes.

Did he just ask what Battlefield was?

Please tell me he did not ask what battlefield is.

he asked what battlefield is, did'nt he?

Also a message to Dark Shadow who made this thread topic.

CTI maps have every single aspect of the game packed into one entire mission.

You can Scout, Sabotage, Capture & Hold, Drive tanks, fly, Guard, attack, ANYTHING.

It appears to me -

1. Either you suck at the map, therefor you dislike it

2. Your jealous because the greatest Multiplayer map has finally came out.  Big congrats to Mike Melvin who developed a map, where all squads, player and servers are going wild over.

It's getting a little old now.  We want more islands !!! biggrin_o.gif

And also Dark Shadow, if it's hard to get a game started I would suggest playing on the Roughneck server. Most people who go there stay for the entire damn game.

Also a message to Dark Shadow who made this thread topic.

CTI maps have every single aspect of the game packed into one entire mission.

You can Scout, Sabotage, Capture & Hold, Drive tanks, fly, Guard, attack, ANYTHING.

It appears to me -

1. Either you suck at the map, therefor you dislike it

2. Your jealous because the greatest Multiplayer map has finally came out.  Big congrats to Mike Melvin who developed a map, where all squads, player and servers are going wild over.

It's getting a little old now.  We want more islands !!! biggrin_o.gif

And also Dark Shadow, if it's hard to get a game started I would suggest playing on the Roughneck server.  Most people who go there stay for the entire damn game.

Spec, don't make me come over there. thefinger.gif

Who has the time for a CTI mission? The game itself is long, and if you don't join at exactly the right time, you're SOL. Plus, the AI. Oh god, not AI. If I wanted to kill AI, I'd go play the campaign; I play multiplayer specifically because I want to shoot at real people.

The overall flaw with OFP MP isn't with the various game styles but with OFP itself. And it's unavoidable. Take classic CFT for example. While it may be fun, it's not realistic in any way. A battle on the OFP islands to be realistic requires battalion sized engagements and that's impossible for practical reasons. The alternative is to dump a lot of AI, but then it takes the fun out of shooting human opponents, which is the point of MP.

So what would work? Massive Multiplayer? Nah, to make it realistic, you need consistency and planning. Basically to get the realism you want you would need an MP game that has 1,000+ serious participants and that the game would last for at least a couple of days.

But that wouldn't be very fun, now would it? If you want military realism, then you're just supposed to be a small piece of a larger puzzle. If you want realism then you must be ready to guard an insignificant position for hours.

You see the dilemma? Players want realism while they want to kill each other and want to be significant in what happens in the game.

The closest thing to any realism at all are coop missions, which can be seen as small scale snapshots of a larger situation.

You see the dilemma? Players want realism while they want to kill each other and want to be significant in what happens in the game.

The closest thing to any realism at all are coop missions, which can be seen as small scale snapshots of a larger situation.

biggrin_o.gif Exactly, some of my MP missions had just that. Any people that were not up to the task of planning an invasion etc. would basically be on a patrol across some portion of the island. Under "smart" AI control. There was a good chance that the attack team could pull off all their work and leave before these guys got to the scene. tounge_o.gif That was a real beauty!

To be honest, I enjoy being on some patrol/guard duty in MP missions, ther realism is great. Your mind starts to wander and you try to hear what's not there. ghostface.gif Oh and when shots are finally fired near you, your heart does exactly what it would in real life. (or you fall off your seat) smile_o.gif

CTI is so long and it take too long for vehicle build and upgrade. RTS3 came out much before CTI and it is still so much better and fun to play.

There is addon versions and there is RTS3 missions on 10 islands. You can play with Mi28 and Comanche and F18 and F15 and then there is version with very few planes but more tanks and tank battles.

There is new version with WW2 units on skye and that is very fun. And there is Vietnam version also very fun.

Best part is that RTS3 games do not last more than 1 hour most of the time. To win you take over whole island, or you destroy enemy base, or you team gets a certain amount points. The admin can set limit on time or points.

Also can play RTS3 as coop or single person. There is AI limit so that more players there is, less AI, so more players can team to gether and help just like good coop games.

In WW2 me and friend take many tanks together against German base, and other teammate takes Corsair. Our tanks kill the AA and then corsairs start bombing, then we come across the bridge and destroy the German base!

One friend always tell me that RTS3 is C&H on steroids!

CTI was one of the best game modes for OFP, along with rts, cti more so, it was like a cooperative against humans and ai, while you built your bases and dug in you got to work with others to take the towns. This meant that the other human side was doing the same thing not just sitting in their base, u could get a squad of men an a cessna and go behind enemy lines that sorta thing, there usually was alot of team work like once on an overseas server i rember taking out the other sides base with a combined assult of 4 squads of ai controlled by 4 humans lota fun.

CTF is death match plain and simple theres a flag but often after 30mins its 0 - 0, CnH again for 30 players these are far to large, often they have 3 areas to hold or more with 30 players usually the most u see if 3 guys in 10minutes, i once defended a flag with 3 others for 20mins without seeing a single enemy aside from the helecopter that showed up at the start, if they base it around a single flag as i did in some of my maps u have more going on and no boring defence duty against an enemy that wont attack. Then theres coops sure these are fun but usually online most people dunno whats going on, usually most good ggames are from a map played over and over until people know what to do, ild rather play these on lan or with small amounts of people.

These CTI like maps are really the only ones that combine all aspects of ofp, there is no spawns to camp no fixed enemy location, u have to do recon to find them and be alert to attacks they send out, nothing like a well coordinated ambush on an attacking tank squad.

What kills ofp mp is lack of Join in progress this limits the game to short deathmatch like games, the waiting turns away huge numbers of people and makes it hard to build player numbers on a servers, they can quit anytime they like but not join. OFP2 and hopefully sumthing brought back to the pc version from the xbox one might open things up.

Some CTI games is bad, becouse the commander/players are nOObs, and some are good becouse of the we got a good commander/players. I will say that teamwork is the best at CTI.

What many players don´t get:

You have to make yourself a plan!

CTI is not a mission fully designed to do one or two things the creator had in mind.

If you have good player you can do amazing things in cti.

It depends on YOU, what you are making of your money.

Thats the thing i like on cti and hate on coops.

Coops is mostly like: Go there, there and here, and do this that and that. -Over- One time played, nerver play it again.

At the near end of a cti round, I like it to designate the damned HE-posts with my Laser and see the Hellfires come in!

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Whoa, I never knew someone else hated CTI.

My view on this is, that playing CTI reduces OFP to being a "closed code shoot-em-up", with which you can only amuse your brain by banging at one single mission that DOES repeat itself just like any "closed code shoot-em-up" would after a year. You can get dozens of these, why use OFP for it? Why ruin it for other people?

I've ranted about the above to my team mates for so long now that they've reacted by playing it behind my back biggrin_o.gif Thankfully, that isn't reducing their time so much to play the real thing, coops. I can even pop in and have a few words, I always know when they are playing now heh.

Perhaps if we'd play RTS, CTI and it's variants in cycles I wouldn't numb my mind with it. I just know every minute I put into it the less I have put into making something useful for someone else, IE making a good coop mission. That's the biggest thing that hurts me mentally when playing anything by someone else too often.

Why Melvin Why!?!?1+11++1 biggrin_o.gif

Coops are really nice when playing in good company (Kyllikki's server wink_o.gif ) CTi sucks because you have too much choices and possibilities. And usually team work is bad. Maybe smaller scale and limited resources with good team would make CTi enjoyable. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]CTi sucks because you have too much choices and possibilities.

Uh. well...is THAT a disadvantage?

Quote[/b] ]CTi sucks because you have too much choices and possibilities.

Uh. well...is THAT a disadvantage?

Not necessarily, but there should be someone who has some kind of authority over the inferior players. Like "I'm your superior and I command you to buy a jeep" . tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]And usually team work is bad.

Dont blame that on the cti.

Ever played a cti with 2 well organised squads? Those were amongst the best ofp moments i had.

I do agree on the idea that cti has a big part in the decline of the 'normal' ofp pvp games played on the net.

You have to take into acout also that Ofp is about the only game out there that realy allows you to play first person RTS ,Ofp is unique in this ,i know no other game where this is possible on such a scale.

Well, plain and simple, CTI killed many hours of game for many pple on my server. Simply holding the server during 2h30 for 12, then (15mn later) 8, then (20mn later) 6 pples, while at that hours we used to be like 20-25 playing.

When it resorted to players being verbally abused for not selecting a CTI mission, I simply deleted CTI's. Enough is enough.

If players are abusing admins or server admins for any reason (be it map selection, parameter selection, etc) you get rid of the players not the maps... OFP in general requires more patient players due to the often agonizing setup process.

Before CTI came along C&H and CTF were starting to get repetitive. Player count wasn't down too much but the old regulars were starting to disappear, being replaced by bright eyed new players wondering how to do this or that. CTI gets a lot of things right but it's main downside is not knowing a time when the games will end and having people waiting around for a new game. OFPWATCH helps with this issue a little in that you'll be notified when a game is done. There are aspects of CTI some players hate. Some people don't like to get killed by AI, they don't like it if there's a bad commander, it's no fun if most of the team isn't getting towns, etc. These aren't issues central to CTI though. They are just a fact of life in most any map type thanks to public play. Some won't like CTI for whatever reason just like some don't like DM or Coops.

One aspect of CTI that has changed which at first I liked but am finding to be more trouble is cargo. Now you can move your MHQ around the island and create as many bases as you have money for. It is fun but it artificially extends the length of most games beyond a reasonable length of time. A solution is building limits which IFE .95 introduced. Currently you knock down one base, find another knock it down, and if you weren't watching the 1st base has been repaired. Destroyed stuff should go away or not be repairable after a reasonable amount of time.

One thing I did to help end CTI games in a more reasonable amount of time was the addition of nuke scripts (no addon required). The idea of the nuke was once you had enough money you launched, the enemy was destroyed, and the game was over. However it's done, nuke or otherwise, there needs to be a goal a team can work toward that will end the game in addition to destroying all the stuff so that there's a choice. One parameter available is taking all towns. There may be others. The point is there are ways to make the game end faster, it's just a matter of finding one that will be rewarding to the winning team.

Join in progress has been mentioned a few times. I used to be for it until I played battlefield 1942. In the beginning it was great. You could join any game in progress if there was a slot. Eventually though I began to see how impersonal it was. The net is fairly impersonal anyway but for people to be able to hop into a game and leave at any time made the games seem to have even less of a point than before. Who won/lost? Who cares - on to the next game - so what's the point? It is fun during but there's not as much a sense of accomplishment if most everyone on the team at the end isn't who you started with. In OFP without join in progress you have your team for the game and that's it. If you could guarranty who was going to join your team during the game it would be OK to have join in progress (passworded server for example). But to have anyone wander into your team, do something helpful or not, then leave, repeat, repeat, repeat, it ruins the immersion. Maybe there's a better way to do it or ways to prevent those issues, not sure.

In conclusion, CTI in it's current form appeals to many players but may be annoying to some others. If CTI isn't your thing then look for non CTI servers or buy your own server, pay for your own bandwidth, and run non CTI maps if that's what you want to do. As long as you are playing on other people's servers you play what they want to offer. If you miss your old friends who have been snagged into the evil web of CTI either write em off, convince them to come back from the dark side, or join em! smile_o.gif